PDA

View Full Version : PSU censors

NickKicken
Oct 29, 2006, 08:56 PM
So I was hangen out with a Jewish dude I play with, and we were messing with the filters in a 6 person group. I started typing in religions just as Christians and Islams and whatnot. When I got to Jewish, it was blocked.

We laughed sooooo damn hard.

Does Sega have something against Jews?

I think so.

(Hitler and terrorist and rediculous are also blocked)
- -
Mod edit: fix title.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2006-10-29 20:09 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Oct 29, 2006, 08:57 PM
Of the three blocks I absolutely loved in the other PSO games, only Pork is banned in this one. Shoe, Beef and Pork.

lol I guess pork was abused at some point and they felt the need to keep it on the list.

A-P
Oct 29, 2006, 08:58 PM
There is a belief that "Jew" is a slur or something when in fact it just means a person of the Jewish faith. Odd I know, but I found sa@#$!ay (saturday) and @#$! (pork) to be funny as well. Honestly they just took it too far. We can say hell though, so in the absence of "crap," we get one fun term to use.

Derieke
Oct 29, 2006, 09:11 PM
You can't say crap but you can say crappers

NickKicken
Oct 29, 2006, 09:13 PM
You can say asshate and assclown but not douchebag or urethra

_dd_
Oct 29, 2006, 09:21 PM
nor Sega, Xboxlive, Microsoft or Inv (abbreviation for invite)

and the phrase "put it in" is also blocked "I'll just put it in my PM"

R3Dirkulous
Oct 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
Rediculous isnt a word...ridiculous is though...trust me I would know, hence my name

Zhakel
Oct 29, 2006, 09:58 PM
I love how they block out all that stuff, but in story mode Ethan says damn and smart ass...

Kaio666
Oct 29, 2006, 10:07 PM
actually the term jew or jewish has been turned into somewhat of a slur. i am (sorta anyways) jewish and it has never bothered me but i have seen it used many times in a negative light.

Blitzkommando
Oct 29, 2006, 10:17 PM
Pork is a slang term used, mainly by those from outside North America, for 'to have sex with'. I'm sure many people already knew that, but that's for those that don't.

Jewish is likely blocked at it has "Jew" in it, which for whatever reason is one of the 'racial slurs' that Sega has banned.

"Segg" (I believe that's the spelling) is a Swedish term for 'ass'. I can see why Sega would have a similar fate to "Jewish" and "Saturday".

The more people use the system, the more words that will be found that have been 'blacklisted' because they contain another word. Basement, Saturday, flaps, Jewish, amongst slews of other words were blocked on PSOGC and from what I understand PSU has fixed some of them, but broke many others.

Shinomaru
Oct 29, 2006, 10:38 PM
they allow f word lol

NickKicken
Oct 30, 2006, 12:11 AM
On 2006-10-29 19:17, Norvekh wrote:
Pork is a slang term used, mainly by those from outside North America, for 'to have sex with'. I'm sure many people already knew that, but that's for those that don't.

So I could say something like..."Maaan dude, I totally porked this girl last night!"

Pengfishh
Oct 30, 2006, 12:17 AM
Yeah, but who says that shit that didn't shop at the Gap in '93?

cobfab
Oct 30, 2006, 02:19 AM
Sega must hate themselves or is some kind of a bad word because it censors out your whole sentence if you put sega in your sentence lol. Even if you replace the S with $ lol.

newbieroadkil
Oct 30, 2006, 03:01 AM
"queue" is also a censored word for some reason. I like to use that word for some stupid reason and it hoses me every time I do. ;(

Superguppie
Oct 30, 2006, 04:45 AM
Good to see we still can't make appointments on saturday. Ah, the memories. And I bet I can't bring my Frozen Shooter and my mag Marica.....(Or did they remove those? Not playing PSU yet, I'm in the EU and being nice waiting for the official release here.)

MaxyGuy
Oct 30, 2006, 04:51 AM
The words:

Bin
Tampon
Pimp

Are also censored.. I can understand pimp a little.. but Bin and Tampon? What is a bin anyway?

leonhjones
Oct 30, 2006, 04:52 AM
Teabag is also blocked.

RussInDaHill
Oct 30, 2006, 05:02 AM
My PSU name is BadMuthaFuka

sange
Oct 30, 2006, 05:09 AM
sd is also censored.... we should create a list!

Pik
Oct 30, 2006, 06:03 AM
As an FFXI player i was kidding around and yells "Spike Flail!" durring the dragon boss and it was censored..

Starshape
Oct 30, 2006, 06:10 AM
On 2006-10-30 01:52, leonhjones wrote:
Teabag is also blocked.

hahaha I actually get that one... does anyone else?

Ensnare
Oct 30, 2006, 06:23 AM
you wanna know whats not blocked? f*u*king... of all the words to be blocked, this one isnt...

Miyoko
Oct 30, 2006, 06:33 AM
You can say "fucking boobies" but not "Fuck boobs"!

... But you can't say isn't it, which bugs the hell out of me.

leonhjones
Oct 30, 2006, 08:29 PM
lol I was doing the nanoblast over someones head while they were sitting on the ground. (immature I know) I typed Teabag and the game blocked it. I thought damn this gam is strict on the foul talk. But apparently the filters just buggy.

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 30, 2006, 08:32 PM
On 2006-10-30 03:03, Pik wrote:
As an FFXI player i was kidding around and yells "Spike Flail!" durring the dragon boss and it was censored..

lololol.

Mazoku
Oct 30, 2006, 08:59 PM
I love how saying "jew" is censored but talking about the "holocaust" is a-ok.

For me the two that I constantly fall prey to are "suck" and "god".

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 30, 2006, 09:01 PM
I still don't understand why "queue" is censored. Makes no sense whatsoever. I suppose there are certain printer-oriented activities that Sonic Team really doesn't want us to talk about.

Honestly, we probably should compile a list of censored words that we believe are really just over the top. I mean seriously, how much more often does "teabag" refer to a bag full of tea leaves than to a certain prank that shall not be described on PSO World?

And furthermore, what the hell is wrong with wanting to establish a "queue"??

Deathcraze
Oct 30, 2006, 09:28 PM
As far as I am aware, sega is a slang term for masturbation in Italian. In addition to that, Sega probably doesn't want many people cursing them online.

A quick search on google says queue is French slang for penis :/

Feck seemed to work in the 360 beta so fellow Scots should be quite happy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Dr_Lantis
Oct 30, 2006, 09:32 PM
The classic filter system is always fun.

I also think a list would be nice.

A-Town
Oct 30, 2006, 11:59 PM
Bin in censored because Bin Laden is censored, go figure....

Kie
Oct 31, 2006, 12:43 AM
On 2006-10-29 23:19, cobfab wrote:
Sega must hate themselves or is some kind of a bad word because it censors out your whole sentence if you put sega in your sentence lol. Even if you replace the S with $ lol.

LIES! I was saying "I blame sega for dieing" repeatedly when ever I died and it didnt cencore anything

Invisus
Nov 4, 2006, 10:34 PM
BUMP( lets keep it goin http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

also, im from virginia but i cant say virginia because virgin is in it

Apathy
Nov 4, 2006, 10:38 PM
if you type "put a smile in your comment box" it will read "@!#! smile in your comment box"

Phaze37
Nov 4, 2006, 10:50 PM
I don't think it's right for Sega to censor the word "gay". Much like the word "jew", it's not always derogatory. If I was gay I'd find it very offensive that the word "gay" is censored. Is Sega guilty of gay bashing?

Invisus
Nov 4, 2006, 11:09 PM
On 2006-11-04 19:50, Phaze37 wrote:
I don't think it's right for Sega to censor the word "gay". Much like the word "jew", it's not always derogatory. If I was gay I'd find it very offensive that the word "gay" is censored. Is Sega guilty of gay bashing?

I find it more offensive that you cant say jew but you can freely talk about the holocaust. At least all derogatory homosexual references are censored across the board.

PaladinRPG
Nov 4, 2006, 11:15 PM
On 2006-11-04 19:38, Apathy wrote:
if you type "put a smile in your comment box" it will read "@!#! smile in your comment box"

It's censoring "puta", which is Spanish for "whore". I think this was also in PSO.

Cavarcous
Nov 4, 2006, 11:19 PM
Hitler
Ridiculous(rediculous?)
douchebag
urethra
Sega
Xboxlive
Microsoft
Inv
Segg
suck
god
tramp
put it in

I was able to say all of these online...

Invisus
Nov 4, 2006, 11:28 PM
On 2006-11-04 20:19, Cavarcous wrote:
Hitler
Ridiculous(rediculous?)
douchebag
urethra
Sega
Xboxlive
Microsoft
Inv
Segg
suck
god
tramp
put it in

I was able to say all of these online...

you are ps2/pc, the only apply to xbox360. there are ones i can say that you cant but i forgot what they are and dont feel like goin through the list http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Cavarcous
Nov 5, 2006, 12:07 AM
I didn't know this was an XBOX 360 PSU thread...

Invisus
Nov 5, 2006, 12:13 AM
On 2006-11-04 21:07, Cavarcous wrote:
I didn't know this was an XBOX 360 PSU thread...

Its not, there are words here not censored on 360, i was just letting you know why they werent for you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Invisus
Nov 5, 2006, 12:13 AM
edit: double post http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Invisus on 2006-11-04 21:13 ]</font>

Smittypop
Nov 5, 2006, 12:21 AM
On 2006-11-04 19:50, Phaze37 wrote:

well honeslty knowing the gaming world if the word gay is being used online its probably not for any non derogatory form unfortunatly. not saying every gamer does that. just alot i know.
and honestly jew i have never heard being used derogatory in my life. atleast not seriously

Invisus
Nov 5, 2006, 12:25 AM
On 2006-11-04 21:21, Smittypop wrote:
and honestly jew i have never heard being used derogatory in my life. atleast not seriously

you must not live in america; if you do you must have never seen south park. if the first is true its cool, if the latter is true...

Lorn
Nov 5, 2006, 02:01 AM
On PC and PS2 you can get around the filters by pluralizing the words. Does that work on Box?

Agrias
Nov 5, 2006, 02:41 AM
These are by far the worst censors i've ever seen. I'm starting to believe whoever was in charge of the filtering system was illiterate. All one needs to do is pluralize the word for it to avoid the censor. As far as I know. I've tried quite a few.

Durand
Nov 5, 2006, 02:59 AM
Some odd ones for PC:
<Swearing>
Longest word I've found: Homosexual
Least offensive swear word: fanny(yeah, i think it beats poop)
Most confusing: Bollock *but not plural*
to enjoy filterless gaming-pluralize: craptacular, farts,etc.
Most likely to be seen:boob(boobs is also filtered, proving pluralization is not always the answer)

Its just a stupid program, it has no meaning to what it filters out (honestly, who ever heard of a lone bollock). If you want to kill the filter, it isn't hard, but the filter should remind the dumber players why certain words might be bad,(all the fun four letter ones, including poop). Don't bash the filter for getting too much, but for getting to little.
(bash the filter for things like "it's hit" which comes out to "it'@ $%@" and confuses all the team for a second)
</Swearing>

illstyle
Nov 5, 2006, 03:06 AM
"menstruation" is censored.

Miyoko
Nov 5, 2006, 03:12 AM
"Penetration" is blocked, and was in PSO.

Pengfishh
Nov 5, 2006, 03:35 AM
I just get a little annoyed that I can say "Fucking damnit to hell" but not "Isn't it nice out?"

Knoob
Nov 5, 2006, 04:59 AM
"You may take our boobs, but you'll NEVER take our boobies!"
(boobies isnt censored lol.)