PDA

View Full Version : From PSO to PSU, your likes and dislikes

cobfab
Oct 30, 2006, 08:04 AM
I've played PSO since the very first PSO came out to dreamcast and since then everything has been the same up to ep1&2. Well most. Moving on to PSU, some of the things I thought would be the same has totally changed. And like all games, there's always likes and dislikes for people.

- PM/Mag, can no longer transfer high lv mag to lv1 character and just rush through everything, PMs can fight along side.
- more time consuming
- Photon Arts
- Dual Wielding
- Sythesizing items

...more but too long to list lol.

Dislikes:
- attacks aren't timed tap anymore. You can just keep tapping the X and Y buttons fast and it will keep attacking. I wish it would be like PSO where you tap the button at the end of a attack to do another attack.
- stage scenery doesn't change. What's up with that sega. Mizuraki Defense and Demon Above is the same. Would like it better if each block had some changes to them.
- Twin Blades SUCK lol. Twice as much attack than sabers but damages suck. One saber deals 30+ damage but 2 sabers do half the damage. They're photon arts are
- Reverser is now Anti. That sucked for me because I didn't read it, so I tried to revive and friend and it didn't and I was laughing my ass off at myself lol.

...again too much to list

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 30, 2006, 08:53 AM
On 2006-10-30 05:04, cobfab wrote:
Dislikes:
- attacks aren't timed tap anymore.

Hmm, that's odd. I never noticed any strict timing in PSO.

- Twin Blades SUCK lol. Twice as much attack than sabers but damages suck. One saber deals 30+ damage but 2 sabers do half the damage. They're photon arts are

Twin saber class weapons do extremely well for me... definitely more damage in the same period of time than a single saber. Dunno what's wrong with them for you. Are you sure you're using the same "rank" of weapon to compare them?

Remember, matching up the stars isn't enough. Quite a few weapon types start at two stars, and I think twin sabers are an example of that.

As for me, the "Likes" would take up paragraphs and paragraphs. Of particular hawtness are the new combat system, synthing, meseta actually mattering, "My Room", player shops, the rebalancing of weapon types so that Swords are no longer the god-class weapons for Hunters they were in PSO (and there were similar issues with other types), and a few other things like PMs being able to fight with you and NPCs being able to join you.

And SUV weapons make me happy in my pants.

I'm so-so about the new grinding system. I understand why it's there, and I really like it in a way, but I know I'll be cursing it when I break this 20k weapon I'm going to synth later today. Still, it'll stop the mass flooding of capped out rares and make fully ground weapons really something to be proud of.

Things I dislike...? Hmm.

It could use a better LFG interface. That is to say it could use one at all aside from the thing where you get missions. Though this really isn't an issue since I largely play with friends or solo.

75% of the players being male human Hunters in black, sleeveless shirts and baggy pants.

... that's about it, really.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 30, 2006, 09:53 AM
Twin Sabers are BETTER than they were in PSO, 6 hits instead of five and not so painfully slow(though I did use them as a primary weapon because of their coolness)
Photon Arts
Rangers aren't so broken anymore
The fast-paced music

dislikes:
That Sega intentionally made each race good at some jobs and bad at others.
No katanas [so far]

Wickerman
Oct 30, 2006, 10:13 AM
PSU looks nice, but PSO was just awesome. I'm sure I'll get some disagreement. I haven't been everywhere yet, but I've been to Neudaz, Parum, and everywhere on the station.

I think the caves in the original are hard to beat.

I liked the simplicity of PSO better too. The three button layout was clearly visible and easy to use on the DC.

PSU has synthing which is good. PSU also has the ability to set item distribution to random which I think is alot fairer.

Garasu
Oct 30, 2006, 10:26 AM
Longer areas
MAG/PM doesnt get mad if you dont feed it!(Thank God!!!)
Player run shops+rooms
Hunters dont look fruity!(only reason I didnt have one in PSO)
Photon Arts!
Synth system
Music
Weapon/item quick select

Dislikes-
Technics are like Photon Arts..which I dont understand(stupid..Forces..!)
You have to give someone your partner card, and then they have to give you theirs..
No quests..yet.

cobfab
Oct 30, 2006, 11:02 AM
Hmm, that's odd. I never noticed any strict timing in PSO.

The attacks are kind of like timed. You can't just tap the next attack right away, you have to wait until the first attack ended to tap the button for a next attack.

Evolution
Oct 30, 2006, 11:11 AM
Hmm, let me try to list some of the things that havn't been listed yet.

-Having the freedom of choosing any character type and making him any class you want.
-How the lobby areas are a lot bigger, planets that have unique non fighting cities/areas.
-6 player parties, good to have more friends in the same game.
-The idea of expert classes
-Being able to buy technics in stores and leveling em up by using em, as opposed to finding them on the battle field.
-Single player is actually different from online.

Dislikes:
-Doesn't look like there will be a C-mode in psu, although being able to get different ranks at the end of each level does make up for it to some extent.
-The way grinding works
-Not being able to create your own character for story mode, although I can see why you can't.

Honestly there isn't much I don't like about PSU

wildstar
Oct 30, 2006, 11:14 AM
I love twin sabers in PSU! When I first tried them I thought they were slow and semi-useless. But, I decided to stick with it (since I like having two different weapon sets on hand for my HU to use during each run -- for the extra PA's/pp).

I've had to un-learn a lot of PSU habits. Since you don't have to lock on to opponents, Twin Sabers absolutely ROCK in busy blocks (like Relics runs). I get in the center, doing a rising strike PA (or whatever its called on Twin Sabers) and then start spinning around, dealing a blow or two to each monster. Keeps them off balance (plus gets a piece of all the exp). It's a rush!

TOPIC:

PA's
Teams of six
Music
PM's
So much more to do (synths, going for s-ranks in missions, so many PA's to learn and level)
Type (class) system
A lot of nice people playing
No more bumping into something in a map and it makes your character stop, instead your character just slides around it (Thank GAWD!)
Everything seems more fluid in general (combat, movement)
Lots of different shops and places with cool nooks and crannies to explore
I finally was able to make a character that looks a lot like I do in real life!
Meseta is really valuable in this game and makes every purchase feel special

Dislkes
A few of the textures look really cheesy (like the planet textures during transit and the far background in the Parum outdoor missions)
That's about it, I basically love this game -- its my favorite game since PSO came out in early 2001 and I think its better than PSO in every way

Tystys
Oct 30, 2006, 11:20 AM
My Room and better character customization
Music(love the battle music in some of these stages)
Increased difficulty
Graphics(they're pretty good for a PS2 port, XD)
The fact that currency is actually useful

Dislikes:
Clipping. I have MAJOR problems with clipping. Don't know why
The inclusion of cut-in-chat. It's cool and all, but I want symbols back.
Most of the game is locked.

Dhylec
Oct 30, 2006, 11:22 AM
-Not being able to create your own character for story mode, although I can see why you can't.
The closest thing is Extra mode. That's onlione mode for offline story. ;]

BydoEmpire
Oct 30, 2006, 11:38 AM
Nice graphcs and artwork.
The music is *almost* as good as PSO, which says a lot.
Story Mode is really well done.
Bigger shopping areas, multiple planets, generally MUCH bigger game.
Having your own room.
Being able to switch classes!
More clothing options.
Strafing.

Dislike:
I really liked the timed button presses in PSO. It *seems* like they might be there for some weapons, and since I'm starting as a FORCE maybe I'm just not using the right weapons. But if it is there, it's not as key to the gameplay, which is too bad. I loved that about PSO, and I miss it. This might not be an issue as I play more and try out different weapons.

I miss the auto lock on. I have to be MUCH more careful when aiming my ranged weapons/technics. Although this is sort of balanced out by the strafe.

There's a definite lack of quests. It's sort of balaced by the multiple planets, and size of the world. But I don't like having to replay "Mad Creatures C" over and ove rand over. Especially since...

No random dungeons? WTF, Sega!!?!? I hope random dungeons appear in later quests or areas I just haven't seen yet (I'm only LVL 10). If there aren't random dungeons, it's going to hurt replayability a little bit for me. I get the feeling that once Guardian Branch quests open up for me, this won't be much of an issue.

The "likes" more than balance out the dislikes, but the dislikes are pretty big deals. Overall I'm very pleased with the game, and it feels like a true sequel. The game isn't as immediately accessible as PSO, but I feel like I've only scratched the surface in the first 10 hours (online).

Kaloa
Oct 30, 2006, 11:48 AM
Well, my biggest dislike so far is that they changed the item boxes. I've seen those orange-red "rare" boxes that drop from enemies, and I have to say, half the time I barely notice them on the ground. They're dull in colour, and blend into the ground too easily. I miss those big bright shining red rare boxes from PSO. Those ones you could see a mile away. They always caught my attention right away, and always struck me as being special. PSU's just seem to pale in comparison. They don't give me that "!!!! Oh my god!" feeling when I find one, and I don't like that.

(That is provided, of course, that those boxes ARE in fact PSU's rares)

I miss PSO's offline mode. The offline story mode in PSU isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but I didn't want to have to play through it as Ethan. They could have made a story for us to enjoy and still allow for us to make our own character to enjoy it with rather than having to wait for extra mode or to go online. For a game that's so heavily based around the ability to create and customize your own character it's in some ways rather shocking that you lack the ability to do so in the main game.

Other dislikes:
*In PSU areas seem far too big. I feel like it takes an eternity to get to where I want to go.
*Music isn't as good as PSO's.
*Area design rather dull.
*No Mags!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
*My room. I think it's lame.
*Voices in story mode suck big-time.

Still. There's alot in PSU that I like. Fighting, for instance, is quite a blast. I like being able to change weapons quickly, and being able to hold two different weapons at once makes battle a whole lot more interesting.

I love the character customization, and all the different clothing and accessory options available in-game. There's so much variety. I'd say it's a big step-up from PSO in that regard.

Targeting enemies seems alot more difficult in PSU than it was in PSO, and I like it. It makes taking down the enemy feel all the more rewarding.

Same goes for the new way of grinding. I practically get up and dance around the room when I succeed. It's a good feeling.

Other likes:
*Beasts. Such a kick-butt addition.
*Any character race can be any character type/class.
*Ability to change type/class.
*Synthesizing. Making items is fun!

Para
Oct 30, 2006, 01:06 PM
I miss using the mouse.

Using the keyboard can be a pain in the ass.. especially when you get keyjammed.

SephYuyX
Oct 30, 2006, 01:14 PM
OMFG A RED BOX, ITS A RARE!!!

..material....

There better be a lot of rare weapons in the future, having to synth them sucks, and if they have a chance to fail, that sucks even more. I hope SEGA doesnt do such a thing.

HiKeRI
Oct 30, 2006, 01:14 PM
On 2006-10-30 06:53, Shiroryuu wrote:
Twin Sabers are BETTER than they were in PSO, 6 hits instead of five and not so painfully slow(though I did use them as a primary weapon because of their coolness)
Photon Arts
Rangers aren't so broken anymore
The fast-paced music

dislikes:
That Sega intentionally made each race good at some jobs and bad at others.
No katanas [so far]

On your dislikes the race system is perfect for me, some realistic touch to it on what race can and can't do,now... i also expected Katanas which is why i loved PSO so much.

HiKeRI
Oct 30, 2006, 01:18 PM
On 2006-10-30 10:14, SephirothYuyX wrote:
OMFG A RED BOX, ITS A RARE!!!

..material....

There better be a lot of rare weapons in the future, having to synth them sucks, and if they have a chance to fail, that sucks even more. I hope SEGA doesnt do such a thing.

I'm sure there will be tons of rare's, now the synth stuff is a great idea so people wont get them so easy, the thing that i disliked on PSO was that so many people had the same weapon and it was very annoying.

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 30, 2006, 02:46 PM

Your hope is unfortunately (for you, I like synthing) in vain. You do indeed have to synth pretty much all awesome weapons in the game as far as I've heard from those who play the JP version.

Otherwise, what would the point of PMs be except for storage and being a partner while solo? Why would synthing even be in the game if you could just get e-z-mode drops off monsters? No, I really like the fact that you can't just go out and kill crap and get T3h Aw3z0m3 l3w+z.

Callous
Oct 30, 2006, 03:10 PM
Haven't had the game more than half a day, but I really do miss the timed attacks from PSO. They felt like "Take this, and this .. and that!". PSU is just button mashing it seems. Doesn't feel as satisfying.

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 30, 2006, 03:12 PM
PSO felt more like button mashing, to me.

There was zero control over your character once you started a combo.

Shango
Oct 30, 2006, 03:14 PM
I also hate finding rare ingrediants instead of useable items.

"SWEET! A rare red box!

Oh.. it's an item that I will store for two months while I farm for the second and third of three and then wait forever for my item to have a chance of being built.."

PSO felt more like button mashing, to me.

What?? This coming from a person who did not even realize PSO had timing in it's combos?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shango on 2006-10-30 12:15 ]</font>

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 30, 2006, 03:18 PM
I "realized" PSO had what some of you are calling "timing" in its combos, but I didn't understand exactly what someone was saying. It didn't have timing in any way that I would recognize the term, since timing implies that you have to be paying attention to what you're doing.

"Timing" is pulling off Sol's dust loop, not hammering on a button like a lab monkey trying to get the banana to come out of the chute. It's not like a combo in PSO took any skill.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guilty-Mirage on 2006-10-30 12:19 ]</font>

Mystil
Oct 30, 2006, 03:23 PM
I have no dislikes, all of them are likes so far. I like how the FO system has not be abolished or toned down to the point of being useless. I just can't be comfortable being anything else.

Shango
Oct 30, 2006, 03:33 PM
On 2006-10-30 12:18, Guilty-Mirage wrote:
I "realized" PSO had what some of you are calling "timing" in its combos, but I didn't understand exactly what someone was saying. It didn't have timing in any way that I would recognize the term, since timing implies that you have to be paying attention to what you're doing.

"Timing" is pulling off Sol's dust loop, not hammering on a button like a lab monkey trying to get the banana to come out of the chute. It's not like a combo in PSO took any skill.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guilty-Mirage on 2006-10-30 12:19 ]</font>

No one ever said PSO's button press timing required more skill than a monkey had.. just in the relation to buttom mashers, a monkey would kill a lot more monsters in PSU than PSO due to those timings. I just found it ironic that you considered PSO to be less of a "button-masher" than PSU when it came to combo attacks.

Zaiden
Oct 30, 2006, 04:41 PM
Well Made Character Creation
Getting your own Room
Strafing
Music (Some)
PC/PS2 Linked Servers
Fun Emotes
Cut In Chat is Cool

Dislikes:
Limited Clothing Options
Music (Some)
Too Little Content
Doesn't have the Phantasy Star Feel
Mission system is horrible
No Random Dungeons

I never played PSO before, but random dungeons is where alot of replayability is at (Anarchy Online had it, and man was it addictive). I absolutley HATE counters. Why must I jump through a weak, but long mission in order to do the next and better one?

As for the "Phantasy Star Feel", PSO (From what I've seen through videos and such) had the looks and style of the Genesis Phantasy Star Games. I like wearing clothes instead of bad looking armor, but this feels like a completely different game. If that was Sega's plan, well, they got me.

Pure-chan
Oct 30, 2006, 06:17 PM
Everything. (so far)

Dislikes:

Waiting so long to play PSU. T_T

cobfab
Oct 30, 2006, 06:20 PM
The biggest disappointment for me is that online is not complete. I do hope they have longer missions in future updates.

ShinMaruku
Oct 30, 2006, 07:11 PM
-Can buy techs
-the character now grunt and talk
-The additions of Ougi
Dislikes:
-They really charge for nothing
-Sonic Team cannto do stories

DoubleJG
Oct 30, 2006, 07:40 PM
-Voices
-Meseta is valuable
-Leveling of both character and class
-Not just one, but 4 major cities
-Spears http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
-Ability to hold two different weapons
-Synthesizing
-Rare item alerts
-Random item divy settings
-Parties are now much more organized
-Leaders have greater authority
-Story Mode is awesome
-Extra Mode is nice
-Photon Arts
-Now the fourth, new Beast race
-My room
-Eh, I could go on and on.
-Smarter enemy AI

Dislikes:
-MAGs > PMs
-Specific drops(ya, I miss the specific hunt)
-The simplicity of PSO is gone
-And yes, the long wait XD

Overall I give Phantasy Star Universe a 10/10 (no 11s cuz that's just dumb, I mean what, extra credit? No don't think so.) It's so awesome and I feel like there is much to be done. ::eagerly awaits update::

BWS-1
Oct 30, 2006, 08:57 PM

Dislikes:
CASTs are wussies now: they can get poisonned/confused, wtf, where's the CAST pride???

Found myself BEGGING for healing once cause I was getting criticly low from an seemingly never-ending poisonning effect.

First time I experience that since, ya know, in these 156 levels of playing as a HUcast in ver2, I was never worried/bothered to deal with these poisonning lilies >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BWS-1 on 2006-10-30 17:58 ]</font>

Nukei
Oct 30, 2006, 09:26 PM
Dislikes:

Cannot change hair and hair color (Or did I miss something?)

Pros:

More challenging

DoubleJG
Oct 30, 2006, 09:48 PM
Are you talking about changing hair style/color after the character is already made? You are able to at a MakeOver shop. I'm not positive, but it's about 5000 meseta for a change.

Kai_reborn
Oct 30, 2006, 09:56 PM
Synthesis
Partner Machinery
Characters level up independently of class

Dislikes:
Only two so far...
You cant lock onto crates and such anymore

The second one is just a little bit of a rant, Rangers can use spears, Forces can use spears, but GunTechers cant use spears...wouldnt you think that since the two Types that go into the Advanced Type can use a certain weapon type that the Advanved Type should be able to use it also?

MayLee
Oct 30, 2006, 10:05 PM
PM/MAG Can join you in battle now.
Better Customization
Spells look pretty good and strong.
Your own bedroom and shop

Dislikes:
Synthasizing
Money is precious, precious now
People can see your personal info. =
starting to seem like Final Fantasy and WoW.
Chanting is not avalible when using spells in the US version

Wickerman
Oct 30, 2006, 10:12 PM
I forgot one thing I liked more in PSO... Telepipes!!!!!

Zaiden
Oct 30, 2006, 11:13 PM
Also, 5k is too much for a Small Makeover.

Realm
Oct 30, 2006, 11:36 PM
* There is an actual plot.
* Dual wielding
* More areas and enemies
* Special attacks
* Leveling seperatly from the type (Hunter/Force/Ranger)
* The addition of Beasts

Dislikes:
* No more mags.
* How techs are now handled.
* No offline multiplayer
* Limited offline free play.
* Extra mode and Network mode characters are seperate.
* Synthesizing

Sinue_v2
Oct 31, 2006, 09:36 AM
Synthing would be my biggest complaint. It's not a big deal since you don't HAVE to synth and spend hundreds of tedious hours looking for rare materials in order to advance the way you had to for, say, Monster Hunter. It's an option, as it should be... but I still don't care for it.

I've noticed that I've also had to "Farm" to a certain extent. Mostly just healing items, since they're easy to find and too expensive to buy. Still, it's a pain and I don't care for it.

Capril
Oct 31, 2006, 10:38 AM
Dislikes:
One party member leaves mission area at end...all will leave. (very minor dislike)
synthesis...it could be fun if it were not utterly necessary.
drops not easy to see sometimes, especially the red/rare drops.
No telepipes. Checkpoints are somewhat helpful though.

Personal Room
Nicely formed cities on each world.
Group leader abilities

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 31, 2006, 10:52 AM
On 2006-10-30 13:41, Zaiden wrote:
Well Made Character Creation
Getting your own Room
Strafing
Music (Some)
PC/PS2 Linked Servers
Fun Emotes
Cut In Chat is Cool

Dislikes:
Limited Clothing Options
Music (Some)
Too Little Content
Doesn't have the Phantasy Star Feel
Mission system is horrible
No Random Dungeons

I never played PSO before, but random dungeons is where alot of replayability is at (Anarchy Online had it, and man was it addictive). I absolutley HATE counters. Why must I jump through a weak, but long mission in order to do the next and better one?

As for the "Phantasy Star Feel", PSO (From what I've seen through videos and such) had the looks and style of the Genesis Phantasy Star Games. I like wearing clothes instead of bad looking armor, but this feels like a completely different game. If that was Sega's plan, well, they got me.

I agree with you on the lack of clothing options, I mean, I have this friend and we look EXACTLY the same except for height, skin color, and hair style, we wore that black newman shirt, the black newman pants, seyagya shoes, we both had white hair, and we were both male human hunters. good thing there will be more options later on in the game, just as long as everyone and their mom doesn't look exactly like me.

Wheatpenny
Oct 31, 2006, 12:05 PM
This is gona be a long list,hope you have a cheese sandwich and a coke handy.

<--LIKES-->
Economy-I came from FFXI and the player controled economy made it total crap to get any good gear.PSU uses a mixture of NPC/PLAYER economy.If people are selling crap too high,go farm it solo or buy from NPC shop.

Combat System-Photon Arts?Bravo to the guy who came up with that,hunters can now do something other than just wild swinging.

PC Customization-I like the way how you can edit almost every detail of your online avatar to your personal specifications.

Synthesis- Once again after playing FFXI and witnesing how much of a money sink their crafting is I was very pleased when made my own B rank wapon at the fraction of the cost in shop,score!.

Emotes-Dance 2,smooth criminal ,nuff said.

SUV Weapons-I haven't played a cast yet but I have seen the beam cannon(or as I like to call it the Jebus Blaster) and I can honestly say more by the day cast ranger seems more interesting.

<DISLIKES>
Moatab Locked-Um we all know its on the disk...Having a Tenora works weapon you can't grind because Moatab isn't open is kinda annoying.

More clothes pls-I don't mind buying more clothes but not having them all unlocked to buy is kinda sucky.

PS2 Voice Chat
Now before everyone starts screaming "Hey get ventrillo!!" Remember not everyone's pc is within close proximity of a gaming console *PS2 cough cough* I mean the ps2 has a headset capable of this why was it not taken advantage of?

No Olga Flow-Man where is flow...or as I like to call him Mick Jagger because of his "Rolling Stones" attack.LOL He should be a hidden boss put in for fun.Heck at least he could drop a special T-shirt that says "I survived Olga Flow" that you could wear..much better prize than DNA...

FrogKicker
Oct 31, 2006, 12:17 PM
Everything...including the kitchen sink.

Dislikes:

Everyone bitching at the lack of content. Good god people it hasn't even been a full week since it launched over here...

parabolee
Oct 31, 2006, 01:24 PM
* Pretty much everything. It's PSO the way I always wanted it to be. I am so in love with this game! "Best game ever" is not an exageration in my books!

Dislikes:

OK these ares VERY small things and they don't take anything away from the overall quality of the game, but here they are -

* NO "MISS". Why when I miss does it say "0" instead of "MISS", it's hard to know if I'm not doing any damage or if my accuracy is at fault.

* I'm sure the additional clothes that will be released later will fix this but I prefer the art style of the clothes for Humans and Newmans in PSO. The shorts, baggy pants and t-shirts are just not as cool as the spacesuits/armour of PSO. Hopefully the later content or expansion disk will add some of those awesome Hunter Ranger outfits we had in PSO. I wish there was more race specific clothes even if it doesn't make sense that one race can't wear anothers clothes. Maybe Ranger/Hunter only PSO armour looking clothes.

Doesn't matter a lot to me because I'm a CAST and they look cooler than they did in PSO IMHO.

Kupi
Oct 31, 2006, 01:42 PM
I'm fond of the expanded spell list, as well as the fact that you're more limited in what you can easily bring along. It forces you to actually pick and choose what role you want to play in the party, rather than having uber-characters that can do anything, just in various degrees of certain attributes.

The only thing that actually irks me is the fact that most of the Technics are "pallet-swaps" of each other. All of the base, Gi- and Ra- level Technics behave the same way, with a different status and elemental modifier on them. Gifoie and Gizonde were very different in PSO; in PSU, they're basically the same thing. But hey, I'll manage somehow. Also, the fact that male voices 1 and 2 (and 3 and 4) are the same thing is particularly irritating, if only because it feels some potential was wasted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kupi on 2006-10-31 10:53 ]</font>