PDA

View Full Version : Defensive woes

A-P
Oct 30, 2006, 03:29 PM
Since the PM doesn't affect one's stats as the MAGs did, and I've heard armor isn't really that great for defense, does it even matter much anymore? At this point I think Sega is just telling the players not to get hit or something. How can one call themselves a Hunter (I am one, so I approach this issue from the angle of one) if you can barely take a couple hits from a monster? So what's up? Is it a good idea to only buy armor whenever you have some spare change or something? I mean what are the ways to improve defense visably, if any? Maybe it's something I'm missing, and some help would be great.

Diablohead
Oct 30, 2006, 03:38 PM
It is still early days.

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 30, 2006, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure who told you that armor doesn't make much of a difference, but they're smoking some good crack.

A-P
Oct 30, 2006, 06:05 PM
I think I read it somewhere, something like "armor isn't important, it's these little photons that are!" Which is basically like something that you can only come up with on crack. Also, someone here complained that they bought some 18,000 meseta armor and there was little difference in the damage taken.

Zolpner
Oct 30, 2006, 06:08 PM
The slots in them are still good for the stat increases. I would notice if I removed my, not so great, Car / Power.
I still need to upgrade my armor again, so I'm not sure about damage taken // knockdown, but I doubt their useless, and the better armor has more Unit slots.

Guilty-Mirage
Oct 30, 2006, 06:08 PM
Each tier of armor doesn't make some huge difference, but when the most damage you take barring some critical hit is like... 40, small differences add up to a lot. I don't know what they were expecting, but armor makes a staggering difference in terms of how much total damage you take throughout a mission. Sounds like they were just trying to justify not upgrading their armor.

Maxurion
Oct 30, 2006, 06:12 PM
Psh, armor useless? Are you joking?

And by the way... Hunters are a LOT more durable in PSU then they were in PSO.

Flunky
Oct 30, 2006, 06:13 PM
18,000 armor not making a huge difference?

For my cast hunter switching from the brandline (2500? Can't remember the price) to a megaline (18000) makes the difference between 140+ damage and 60ish damage. My block rate is quite higher, too. With the 18,000 armor my fellow's like a tank. The reduced damage reduces flinching as well, allowing me to wade right into the center of 5 or 6 monsters and emerge with only minor dents.

Bahamut89
Oct 30, 2006, 06:13 PM
On 2006-10-30 15:05, A-P wrote:
I think I read it somewhere, something like "armor isn't important, it's these little photons that are!" Which is basically like something that you can only come up with on crack. Also, someone here complained that they bought some 18,000 meseta armor and there was little difference in the damage taken.

Wouldn't "armor isn't important, it's these little photons that are!" be referring to the fact that instead of wearing physical armor you're wearing little photon lines that act like armor? Sounds like the comment is talking about aesthetics, not gameplay.

Maxurion
Oct 30, 2006, 06:27 PM
Or making a joke...

A-P
Oct 30, 2006, 07:10 PM
Like I said, it's what I heard. I'd buy armor if I wasn't always broke.

Zato-2TWO
Oct 30, 2006, 07:14 PM
The other thing is that CASTs more or less have to get that 18K armor to mount their SUV weapons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Beasts need it too for their Nanoblast tattoos.

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 30, 2006, 07:23 PM
People just say its worthless because you can dodge attacks, in a game like WoW or EQ where you cant dodge a hit but it instead rolls a 5% chance to dodge or some crap like that you need armor

But no matter how good you think you are at dodging you will still get hit in this game, there is just to many little mobs and AEing mobs that attack you all at once its to hard unless you just play at ranged the whole time which cant happen for healing forces and hunters

Garnet_Moon
Oct 30, 2006, 07:29 PM
I upgraded my armor to have a Head, Body and Extra slot, and all the stats on it boosted my present stats by 50 each. Just another few thousand more and I can buy that auto-regen unit and see if it sucks or not.

BWS-1
Oct 30, 2006, 08:50 PM
The 18000 one I got B class sure works fine. I block at a ratio of 1/3 at least, not to mention that damage I take is half of what I used to take with that armor you get when you start the game. With added Mega / Wall and Stella / Mind, I almost feel invincible XD

I was tempted to get that auto-regen unit, but the 2500 meseta SUV stole my heart http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif (and my armor's extra slot haha)