PDA

View Full Version : Figunners really a Hunter-Ranger cross?

DaSpaz
Oct 30, 2006, 06:25 PM
Looking through a few of the posts, I came across a giant Ranger guide, which is where I learned there's "Expert Classes." Reading through these all, I wanted to be a Figunner. Not because I'd get more ATP or because they're tuned towards melee... because they get claws.

That's what I always wanted my character to be. A sweet CAST with a sweet pistol in one hand and sweet claws in place of the other hand. It'd be a sweet combo. The problem with that Ranger guide was that they left out some information on them, so I didn't start grinding to get up to Figunner level.

Just now, I ran across a big Hunter guide. I go in, scroll right down to the Figunner part. Here's what I see:

S-Rank: Twin Sabers, Twin Daggers, Double Sabers, Sabers, Daggers
A-Rank: Swords, Spears, Knuckles, Twin Claws, Claws, Crossbows, Handguns, Machineguns

Boy, did that make my day. So much for Figunners being a mix between a Hunter and a Ranger. They don't even get to use S-ranked handguns! Heck, they don't get any S-rank ranged weaponry! I didn't expect claws to be S'ed, nor did I want them to. But to force me into using crappy claws and a crappy handgun is not acceptable. I'd be better off just go Fortefighter (or whatever it's called) and use S'ed claws, A'ed handguns, and shoot more than slice.

So, question of the day: Are Figunners really a cross of a Hunter and a Ranger?

NOTE: If Fortegunners (or whatever) can use A claws, please tell me before I remake my character as a pre-Fortefighter CAST.
NOTE: If I'm wrong with this and Figunners can actually use S-ranked handguns/claws, then laugh really hard at me, then post a link to proof.

Zato-2TWO
Oct 30, 2006, 06:42 PM
When I was stuck in 'Should I be a Fortefighter or Figunner?'-land, I deduced that Figunner is more of an ATA-heavy Fortefighter than a real Ranger-hybrid. Truth is, you can take it either way with a Figunner, and you really don't have to worry about the weapon rank limitation because it's your playstyle that dictates how well you do, not your equipment. With Figunners, you really are more Hunter than Ranger, but you can dish out ranged support just as good as a starting Ranger can, and especially moreso if you're a CAST. On top of all that, Figunners seem to be the only class with the power and finesse to wield Double Sabers.

And if you'd like to get a good idea of how a Figunner handles guns, look no further than PSOW's very own Rizen in Dante-style action (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=121417&forum=12&0). =D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zato-2TWO on 2006-10-30 15:45 ]</font>

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 30, 2006, 07:39 PM
That would be somewhat overpowered tho, S rank handgun + S rank daggers would be a bit over the top lol, plus they are lvl 5 hunters and lvl 3 rangers so it makes sense

DaSpaz
Oct 30, 2006, 07:46 PM
When I was stuck in 'Should I be a Fortefighter or Figunner?'-land, I deduced that Figunner is more of an ATA-heavy Fortefighter than a real Ranger-hybrid. Truth is, you can take it either way with a Figunner, and you really don't have to worry about the weapon rank limitation because it's your playstyle that dictates how well you do, not your equipment. With Figunners, you really are more Hunter than Ranger, but you can dish out ranged support just as good as a starting Ranger can, and especially moreso if you're a CAST. On top of all that, Figunners seem to be the only class with the power and finesse to wield Double Sabers.

If the best PSU player was able to deal an extra 80 points of damage in close combat from stronger equipment, he'd do better than if he didn't have that extra 80.

That would be somewhat overpowered tho, S rank handgun + S rank daggers would be a bit over the top lol, plus they are lvl 5 hunters and lvl 3 rangers so it makes sense

You've got a point. At least S claws would be good for my case, or let Fortegunners use claws.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaSpaz on 2006-10-30 16:48 ]</font>

DaSpaz
Oct 30, 2006, 10:15 PM
OK, here's something I thought up...

First, what exactly are S-ranked weapons? Are they just normal items you get from the shop, or rare synthesis-only or mob drop items?
Second, if they're rare, are they that much better than A-ranked?
Third; I just compared a level 1 Ranger CAST with a level 1 Hunter CAST, and the differences between the major stats burned my eyes. Is there a major stat of ATP/DEF and ATA/EVP difference between Figunners and Fortegunners?

I'll sleep on this.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 31, 2006, 07:41 AM
you can also be a fortefighter if you want because they have s rank claws and a rank handguns.

Itsuki
Oct 31, 2006, 10:48 AM
Nobody knows how much better s-rank weapons are. We do know you probably won't see them for a long time. The only s-rank weapon in the jp version right now I don't think has even had a successful synthesis (which takes weeks to gather the materials and a full day to synth and fail). Not to mention one try at this synthesis would probably cost the person over a mil meseta.

To put it in PSO terms, A rank weapons (7-9 star in PSU) are more like the begginning of "rares" in PSO. Say, 9, 10, and 11 star weapons. While s-rank would be like 12-13 star. Most people might not even obtain a s-rank for along time if at all.

If you just saw the fighgunner weapon distrobution, then you probably didn't bother to look at any of the threads in the sticky. Like this one -> http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=121267&forum=22&207

As for the difference between a fighgunner and a fortegunner, apparently you didn't read my thread in teh sticky either -> http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=119181&forum=22&39

So, heres a little snippet of Fighgunner stats:
Compared to a Fortegunner:
30% more HP than a Fortegunner
10% more ATP than a Fortegunner
37% more DEF than a Fortegunner

50% LESS ATA than a Fortegunner
35% LESS EVA than a Fortegunner

Compared to a Fortefighter:
slightly more HP (I will only say slightly)
10% more ATA than a Fortefighter
75% more EVA than a Fortefighter

15% LESS ATP than a Fortefighter
28% LESS DEF than a Fortefighter

Basic overview:
I don't think Fighgunner has the ATA to compete as a Ranger, but can still probably still benefit from being able to use crossbows or mechguns. Its only benefit over a fortefighter is really its EVA and S-ranks in "quick" weapons. ATA and ATP difference aren't noticable in game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2006-10-31 07:52 ]</font>

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 31, 2006, 06:17 PM
i figure S rank is the same as going from C to B and B to A etc, it will have its own list of of weapons...maybe 3 like C and B

Itsuki
Nov 1, 2006, 12:24 AM
you figure a bit wrong though. You have to consider that A rank weapons are already significantly different from C and B rank weapons. S will likely also have certain advantages. The Crea weapons (A-rank) hit more than one monster and certain other melee a-rank weapons inflict status effects. S-rank will likely also have special effects.