PDA

View Full Version : So.... Rangers really scarce?

myomer
Oct 30, 2006, 10:20 PM
I could've sworn during 360 beta there were a ton of Rangers about.... or are those just CASTs playing as hunters etc.? Seems like they're fairly rare nowadays...

Which tempts me to make one.... I mean, status effects are great mitigators are they not?

ProfessorZ
Oct 30, 2006, 10:22 PM
Yep. The only place you can find b rank ranger weapons are in my shop. Don't believe me, search

Axios-
Oct 30, 2006, 10:24 PM
Or my inventory. I'm so proud of my RAnewm choice now.

myomer
Oct 30, 2006, 10:40 PM
Hm. Might want to make one then. Got a recipe for twin guns just might give it a whirl.

UltimateCarl
Oct 30, 2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah, they're definitely the least populous class, which makes me happy, since I've been planning on playing one. I think of the Experts, even, Guntechers are second only to Protransers in terms of rarity, which is even better for me, since that's what I was planning on.

But, yeah, it's gonna be really annoying to find good Ranger weps besides ones you made yourself. >.>;;

Zato-2TWO
Oct 30, 2006, 10:53 PM
Yahoo! Power to Protransers! =P

I'm going Protranser myself, which means I'll be taking a hike through Ranger-land for awhile. I hope to see more Protransers at the endgame!

Dusk21
Oct 30, 2006, 11:02 PM
I can't decide between fortegunner and guntecher for myself (why couldn't they just let forteg have S dualies...? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ), but I'm enjoying ranger very much I don't know what people's aversion is.

Zio
Oct 30, 2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah I don't see many personally. Kinda glad I remade my old ranger.

Falco777
Oct 31, 2006, 12:32 AM
If my comp (or rather my crappy vid card) could handle PSU, I'd remake my RAcast on this and play. Man, I envy all you guys right now, I want to play this so much!

Kie
Oct 31, 2006, 12:46 AM
each party I joined up with had atleast 2 rangers today

EC_Subbie
Oct 31, 2006, 12:56 AM
I don't do random/pick up parties often since I play with a mostly static, or only people on partner list. In our group I'd say 4 of us, including myself, are Rangers. I like being a Ranger, but honestly I think they really could boost the rate that status effects kickin. It just doesn't seem to happen nearly as much as it should..

Axios-
Oct 31, 2006, 12:57 AM
The highest Ranger count I've seen in a random party I joined was 2, including myself. And I find that my freeze kicks in plenty and my shock even moreso.

hypersaxon
Oct 31, 2006, 12:58 AM
In JP I believe they fixed gun regen for Rangers, but in the US it's still the same. Just wait until US gets the gun regen fix and you'll see a lot more Rangers.

FenixStryk
Oct 31, 2006, 12:59 AM
Rangers are very rare. You have about 80% Hunters, 12% Forces, and 8% Rangers. Really scary, since Rangers help a LOT against Bosses, especially flying ones.

Rexob
Oct 31, 2006, 02:01 AM
I remade my DC PSO Racast more or less...loving it too can't wait until they bring out Expert classes so I can go Fortegunner

EC_Subbie
Oct 31, 2006, 02:12 AM
On 2006-10-30 21:57, Axios- wrote:
The highest Ranger count I've seen in a random party I joined was 2, including myself. And I find that my freeze kicks in plenty and my shock even moreso.

My ice on shotgun is lv18 currently...and at times I could go 10 blasts in a row with little to no freezes. It's very random and doesn't happen consistently. Shock on the other hand seems to land even more...yet it's only lv6 or so.. O_o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EC_Subbie on 2006-10-30 23:13 ]</font>

Shadow_Wing
Oct 31, 2006, 04:01 AM
Yup we're scarce and far in between... now working on my PM's range and making whole mess of great ranger weapons to sell and use ^_^b

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 31, 2006, 04:02 AM
Ranger isnt too scarce, i have at least 1 in every party from what i've seen and pure BS statistics
50% Hunter
25% Ranger
25% Force

Sev
Oct 31, 2006, 04:06 AM
On 2006-10-31 01:02, AlphaMinotaux wrote:
Ranger isnt too scarce, i have at least 1 in every party from what i've seen and pure BS statistics
50% Hunter
25% Ranger
25% Force

Yeah, I can go along with this. People seem to not notice the mass amount of Newman Forces in some areas. There's really more then people think, and I personally really like Ranger. I'll be going Fighgunner though, so my Ranger time will be short-lived.

There's definitely more then just Hunters out there though, although we're pretty common.

Miller
Oct 31, 2006, 04:23 AM
Rangers are definatly rare but imo the funnest class Stafe + Mechgun combo = win. I usually freeze everything with one or two left to right stafes and then rip everything apart with my single dagger.

Trinitystar
Oct 31, 2006, 04:25 AM
Im a Newmen Range and im loving it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Trinitystar on 2006-10-31 01:26 ]</font>

Brus
Oct 31, 2006, 07:29 AM
Currently lvl 7.5 ranger class... when do advanced classes come out? GOTTA BE READY.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 31, 2006, 07:45 AM
Im working on a super rng PM, may start seeing 5star guns in my shop in a few days

CypherErebus
Oct 31, 2006, 07:52 AM
Rangers are a dime a dozen and one of the most valuable classes in my opinion (which is bias, since I'm one). I'm usually the only ranger in the parties I join. Though now I hang out with one set of peeps.

patrickastan
Oct 31, 2006, 07:56 AM
Used to be a ranger, but I had to put down my dualies once my ranger class hit lvl 3 so I could start focusing on building my hunter levels. Once the hybrid classes come out things should increase some for rangers, but for the most part rangers just aren't as intriguing....

It would have been nice if you could have had some sort of powered attack similar to a photon art or something...instead of relying on chance to have the status effect kick in...then they would be in high demand.

Zarbolord
Oct 31, 2006, 08:07 AM
Both my first characters in the two unis will be starting as rangers. A cast which will become Guntecher and a caseal which will become Fortegunner, like the good old days http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kuya
Oct 31, 2006, 08:30 AM
Wow, finally more newman rangers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I've been running around and I've seen MAYBE one ranger who wasn't a cast http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

JamesKilton
Oct 31, 2006, 09:18 AM
Brand new RACast. Just picked up the Grease gun, and man, it's very, very satisfying keeping enemies away. The amount of control Rangers have completely makes up with the lower damage output.

Still not sure if I want to do Forte- or Figunner yet, leaning towards Fi to start.

Xizore
Oct 31, 2006, 10:09 AM
Its not too bad. Im really enjoying ranger class so far, but shotguns are a big disappointment when compared to spread guns from PSO. Dual-Pistols with ice PA is my favorite so far.

grimstone
Oct 31, 2006, 10:14 AM
I think i have seen a total of 5 rangers besides myself so far

Jiga
Oct 31, 2006, 10:14 AM
I'm hoping it stays 8% Ranger 1% Fortegunner. I just wish by the time the 10* rares drop, we can get a need-before-greed loot system. That will make us 9% strict gun users very happy.

Valkayree
Oct 31, 2006, 10:16 AM
Personally, most of my parties are 3 hunters, 2 rangers, and one force (me) on average. I see cast rangers quite a lot, more than I see forces.

AngelLight
Oct 31, 2006, 10:17 AM
Cool, so there's going to be a Ranger Buff coming down the pike now as well? That's good news.

Yeah, given that atm, two of the three major (non sub) bosses online atm fly, you'd think having a ranger would be a great thing. It's prolly something to do with the fact that its tougher to grind up a ranger then the other two classes....at least till you can actively wield a full B-rank selection with good bullet tech levels.

Akaimizu
Oct 31, 2006, 10:17 AM
Wow. I had no idea Rangers were scarce. I guess when you are one, you don't notice it much. Still, I've been able to work around the regen aspects by sticking with Power guns and such. They have a high amount of points and they last pretty long.

I like to call them the Energizer guns. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Anyway, on the 360 version, Tynselle loves sticking to her guns. They're almost a part of her character, actually. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif That, her looks and outfit, her character background being raised in a circus of sorts; and her tendancy to use wry smiles, taunt monsters, and sneer with confidence. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Heh heh.

Japairish
Oct 31, 2006, 10:22 AM
I started as a Beast Hunter and I am very happy with my choice to start a new RAcast. They arent RARE rare, but its a good feeling that I enjoy playing a class that is not highly populated

myomer
Oct 31, 2006, 10:25 AM
Of course, soon as I said it, I played last night and there were CAST Rangers everywhere http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Still, I created one with the lowbie twin gun formula my wife had and bought the Ice PA. Duals + Ice + Strafe = very nice. I had one room frozen at one point, about 5 guys. Granted it was still low levels, but hopefully this scales up. And if people are saying the shock effect lands more often I may have to give that a shot (pun somewhat intended). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Akaimizu
Oct 31, 2006, 10:31 AM
Hehe. Frozen shot for twin guns. My specialty. I think I levelled that to level 15 already. The high accurracy really helps a lot, and I can't wait to get my Ranger to 4 just because of it. (Currently halfway there from my Ranger 3 rank).

Alisha
Oct 31, 2006, 10:58 AM
im my experience offline rangers are challanging to use but they excel at killing things that would give hunters problems like goushins and the exploding robots on the train. its to strike a balance between when to sue guns and when to use melee.

Akaimizu
Oct 31, 2006, 11:18 AM
Rangers typically don't like melee, but they don't do bad with the spears. I keep one spear in my inventory for it. To stay effective in the class it's best to round up multiple guns for the occassion. Generally, I keep a couple of different guns I can run around and strafe with. One rifle-type gun. And at least 1 good melee.

If you mix it up with good guns that hold a lot of PP, then they can last you a real long time.

In fact, a good set of powerguns is all you need in a full party. Because of the combined damage you do, you almost never run out. But with a very small group, or by yourself, that's when you need to use all your weaponry.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-31 08:19 ]</font>

Kuya
Oct 31, 2006, 12:04 PM
Being a newman - I'd rather avoid melee altogether. The only reason I have a one handed sword is because I started with it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif One dual handgun, two regular guns (one wielded with sword) and a machine gun keeps me in play in any party at all times. Oh that and a +6 rifle with a little over 300 atp http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Plasma shot on the rifle is awesome and at lv13, it (seems to) activates maybe 60% of the time (whether it does damage or not - take that ATA! lol)

Shango
Oct 31, 2006, 12:33 PM
I started with a ranger and switched to hunter. IMO, rangers just aren't quit as "fun" to play because they generally don't seem quite as active during combat compared to my hunter and force (style=mainly sitting and waiting for procs). Hunters have the choice of attacking with regular strikes or PA attacks and strafing is a big aspect offensively and defensively, forces can put three or more spells on their weapons for several choices of button presses with an empasis on strafing to line up spells properlly, but rangers get into battle with very little choice, stand still alot, strafing only really to tag or center the shotgun if necessary and then press X X X X X X X X without moving unless you're about to get hit.. until you get to the boss, at which point they become fun. (Again, all IMO)

vozroth
Oct 31, 2006, 12:44 PM
I'm a cast Ranger level 25 and love it going all the way to become Fortegunner.

vozroth
Oct 31, 2006, 12:48 PM
I fight both ways melee and with range weapons i switch around i find being a Ranger is very fun.

Akaimizu
Oct 31, 2006, 02:15 PM
Normally, I play two ranger roles just with guns. And technically a 3rd when it comes to flying stuff. The 3rd being the more obvious in striking monsters up there, and targetting weak points.

My first role is usually the long range Monster softener. I tag the monsters while strafing, and then evenly damage the monsters for the melees to take them down easier.

My second role, which is just as important, is Hunter defense. The weakest melee in the party (basically the lowest level and HP), I tend to keep a watch on, once the initial part is done. I see them attack monsters, and when they've rushed in and hit them, I know they'll get exp from them. Then it's no holds barred on the surrounding monsters, he/she took on, closing in. Basically, I'm doing my best to interrupt as many attacks as possible so that the Hunter takes the least amount of damage in the engagement.

It feels especially good when a Hunter like that gets in, and you're personally responsible for them coming out unscathed.

Sev
Oct 31, 2006, 02:27 PM
I just really love Boss Fights as a Ranger. I get my Rifle out, and just keep the numbers going non-stop.

When getting there though, especially in parties with Give Finder options, I stick with the Handgun Melee combo. It'll also help me out a bit when Figunner is available, since ya know... We don't get to use Rifles anyway. Twin Handguns are really fun on smaller enemies, but you couldn't pay me to use 'em on some of the monsters that show up. I have tried out the Mechs yet, but I'm thinkin about giving it a shot at some point... Probably gonna use the Plasma Bullet to stun monsters at a rapid rate.

Ranger is probably one of the more fun jobs that I've played, since my gunplay doesn't suck, and my melee doesn't seem to suck either. I'll probably take Ranger to 5 before stopping, just to get PA levels up and such.

Diablohead
Oct 31, 2006, 02:37 PM
Im a newman ranger, not too higher level right now but still having fun.

MilkManX
Oct 31, 2006, 02:56 PM
RaCast here. Been teaming up with Hunters and Forces all week.

Mouseklip
Oct 31, 2006, 02:59 PM
Im happy not many people are Rangers I am and it doesnt bother me that Im like 1/10 ive seen. The class is fun but if people would rather play forces and not heal fine by me

BTW we definatly have it the hardest when it comes to feeding our PM hunters go to hell u get all of those wep drops which raise it like +10 at a time while i have to feed it mats

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mouseklip on 2006-10-31 12:00 ]</font>

KirinDave
Oct 31, 2006, 03:00 PM
I see a fair number of rangers in 360-land. But I think you see fewer Rangers is because the only race that starts that way is Casts. I bet if you made a histogram of race popularity you'd see a histogram of class popularity.

I am still telling people they can change their class. They didn't know. O_O I was partying with a female human hunter and over voice he was lamenting about how humans had to be hunters. Left our group to go change right be for De Ragan. :