PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers the old days of DC PSO?

DROID8
Oct 31, 2006, 01:15 AM
Ah, the old days, when PSO was new on the Dreamcast.
When I got back from school, I would turn on my DC (wich had a 33K modem) and I would go online to play PSO, If the lag would allow it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
It was my first MMO game and for me it's still the best. Now I am waiting for PSU to come out in europe and see if It is as good as I hope it is.

Who else has some very fond (or not so fond) memories of PSO on the DC? Please share them.

FenixStryk
Oct 31, 2006, 01:17 AM
I still remember waking up at 2pm, with a keyboard impression on my cheek, a slobbery keyboard, and my character still standing at Pioneer 2.

CherryLunar
Oct 31, 2006, 01:19 AM
Yes! Same here Fenix! Well more like that annoying Lalala la intro music playing in the background...

I remember when it wasnt safe to stay in Lobby 1 and when people would make duplicate characters of Terrorist X. XD

Chibi_Nova
Oct 31, 2006, 01:22 AM
agreed cheerry me and my bro used to take turns online he hoocked me up with rares http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

lostinseganet
Oct 31, 2006, 01:51 AM
Heh I remember fighting to stay awake in battle. Fights became alot harder (^_^)_

CherryLunar
Oct 31, 2006, 01:52 AM
Yeah, and Gifoie a lot more annoying than usual.

mananas
Oct 31, 2006, 01:52 AM
DC was the best!!

Pure-chan
Oct 31, 2006, 02:59 AM
For all of DC's faults, I still miss the feeling I got from it. Everything was so ...new. Prior to PSO DCv1, my only experience with an online gaming was with diablo II - and only in a fairly limited fashion.

PSO pretty much floored me when it came out. A full 3D, console based, hack and slash online action-rpg? ...Too much fun. I loved the stylings of pso, too. While the graphics look dated by current standards, the concept and themes that went into the artwork were (and still are, imo) beautifully done.

One thing that I really appreciated about PSO was how approachable everything was. The basic gameplay was simple enough to get down in a few minutes, yet enjoyable enough to keep at it for X,000+ hours. Also, (and feel free to laugh at this) I have a serious aversion to gorey games. As a whole they pretty much turn my stomach. Something like Doom III, or Resident Evil just isn't my cup of tea. I think that's why I couldn't get into Diablo all that much either. Corpses and blood everywhere don't really hook me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif PSO on the other hand, had me from the first time I played it.

The best part of PSO DC for me though was the friends that I made (and have managed to keep) through ...seven builds of the same game? (v1, v2, pc, GC, Xbox, ep3, BB) ...and yes, we'll all be playing again on PSU PC/PS2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif ...probably for another x,000 hours.

Edit: ...make that eight builds... forgot about PSO+ http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-10-31 09:31 ]</font>

SaviorSe1f
Oct 31, 2006, 03:08 AM
yeah...I think one of the great moments in my life was defeating dark falz for the first time, and banging my DC keyboard into the wall in triumph..."I am the hero"..."end credits"

PJesus
Oct 31, 2006, 07:08 AM
I remember it... Especially the BSOD.

A-P
Oct 31, 2006, 07:12 AM
I remember PSO DC... I also remember I was offline until the Gamecube version, which I only was able to go online with once. Then I got to BB... But I remember DC fondly... Ah the HUD, you could cut a diamond on that thing.

DROID8
Oct 31, 2006, 07:51 AM
I live in the Netherlands and I could only get a german keyboard for my DC, that was very annoying, because some letters were switched around.

When the DC PSO V.2 came out, I had a HUcast at lvl 133, but some nephew of mine accidently deleted the file on my VMU.
The rest of my S.P.E.C.T.R.E PSo team was also around that lvl, so I had to catch up to them again.
That meant almost no sleep to try to catch up to them.

DarkShadowX
Oct 31, 2006, 08:05 AM
Man those were really great times back then, loved them then and still do now.

Yoiyami
Oct 31, 2006, 08:36 AM
Just reading this thread gave me a lovely sense of nostalgia. I miss my old DC PSO family. D:

Melora
Oct 31, 2006, 08:39 AM
Ah twas bliss for a while. The only thing I disliked apart from all the hacking etc. was dropping your weapons. I always helped out new people and when I died they always took my weapons D:

MaKaVeLi_X
Oct 31, 2006, 08:39 AM
I miss it everytime i log onto psu. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I still talk to over 20 of the people from DC and have met up with around 10 on PSU. Best Game Evar.

wildstar
Oct 31, 2006, 09:13 AM
I'm feeling almost the same way in PSU as I did in PSO DC (in a GOOD way). People are SO friendly, so many things are brand new to me, and it has the wide-open anything-can-happen feeling. I love it.

I have the same inner glow I had 5 years ago on PSO DC. It's the Golden Age all over again.

I decided to start fresh this time, just like on DC. So, I just meet who I meet, become friends with who I become friends with, level when I level, just have fun.

This is AWESOME!

Capril
Oct 31, 2006, 10:09 AM
Now that I've played PSU online for a little while, Im getting that warm, fuzzy feeling all over again. I love seeing such a lively and diverse community with all of it's ups and downs, the way PSO was on the DC back in the day...

People make the world go 'round.

DreamLocke
Oct 31, 2006, 10:25 AM
My fondest memories come from those "just one more ruins run" at 3-4am. Everyone was barely able to open their eyes, barely able to type in legible sentences. It was great.

A-Town
Oct 31, 2006, 10:36 AM
Me and my cousin played that game so much, really great memories. That game had so many little facets to it. My cousin and I never really had any problems with lag though, must have been a miracle with the dial-up connections.

Akaimizu
Oct 31, 2006, 10:39 AM
Who can forget what they put anywhere between 400-800 hours into or more?

True enough. As I'm working my way up with some cool people, the feeling is back. Even more as I see some neat new things pop up. I finally redecorated my room, and I've visited some player shops. It's almost kind of spooky particularly on the 360 version with voice. It's like I walk into a store for some people and it almost feels like you're being greeted by a merchant if they're in.

People seem to be kind of passionate about this store thing, so it does kind of feel like wandering into a bazzar.

In PSO, I played a support Force to the tee. My first character looking like me, my second character (a Ranger) with similarities to my sister. I never quite got the same amount of time with my Ranger as I did my Force. My Force saw much of those hundreds of hours. Still, it was great getting all that exp by simply using Jellen, Deband, and Shifta on players and monsters. Using the Resta when needed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-31 07:43 ]</font>

MaKaVeLi_X
Oct 31, 2006, 10:56 AM
400 hours? um maybe a week... if thats possible. lol

Mechageo
Oct 31, 2006, 11:44 AM
On 2006-10-30 22:15, DROID8 wrote:
Ah, the old days, when PSO was new on the Dreamcast.
When I got back from school, I would turn on my DC (wich had a 33K modem) and I would go online to play PSO, If the lag would allow it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
It was my first MMO game and for me it's still the best. Now I am waiting for PSU to come out in europe and see if It is as good as I hope it is.

Who else has some very fond (or not so fond) memories of PSO on the DC? Please share them.

TRUST me, PSU is everything that was good about PSO, minus everything that was bad. (Except for the hotkey bar on PSOBB)

Mystil
Oct 31, 2006, 12:05 PM
I'll never forget those days. ALL of my best years in my career in PSO was ONLY provided by the DC version. I miss all my friends..Vidoku, Jag, K-Nurtz and his RL friend, Promethious, Surami, Seph. Back then EN4 was THE funnest quest ever.

/sigh

Smittypop
Oct 31, 2006, 12:17 PM
man there was nothing like PSO. i remember playin on my 56k with my clan the fallen. and oh god the wait for ver 2 felt like forever. =) nothing was better then working through the ruins and at the end having that victory screen come up. seeing your character in that bad ass pose along side your friends was always sweet.

oh god i cant wait till friday so i can pick up this game >_<

ZeldaSerenade
Oct 31, 2006, 12:43 PM
And of course there's battle mode when V.2 came out...so much fun.

Zio
Oct 31, 2006, 12:44 PM
ANY1 GOT DBL CANNON 4 TRD??!PLS

Saito S
Oct 31, 2006, 07:00 PM
Hmm... Pure-chan kinda said almost everything I would have said. She even phrased it like I would have...lol ESPECIALLY about the graphics and overall style of the game, which grabbed me from the moment I turned it on.
Oh by the way...hi Pure-chan! *waves* anyway...

Even though in many ways I think of PSO Ep. 1&2 (GC) as kind of the "main" one (better visuals, more classes, better character management, etc...and of course Episode 2), and it's probably the one I logged slightly more hours in...there is something about the DC version isn't there...heh. It was THE ORIGINAL. You know what was awesome in that game? When you connect for the first time, and first it's dialing, then "Connecting to the Network" blah blah...then, when it's done, before it goes to the lobby screen (while it still has the super warp effect screen with that low droning noise), it says
"Welcome to the world of Phantasy Star Online."
There is just something perfect about that. There is no noise except that cool, slightly eerie hum of the warp screen, and the way that is worded really sums up what PSO became for me, for a lot of people here...it WAS a whole other world, almost a whole other life. Gave me a shiver the first time I connected...hehe.

And now it's back! It's not QUITE the same feeling, since we now have memories of PSO to fall back on, but still, that sense that an entirely different world has just opened up it's doors and invited us to come in and explore is very strong with PSU online. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Thrash777
Oct 31, 2006, 08:04 PM
I remember a lv200 guy that joined our game, came into the room we were fighting in, PK'ed everyone and stole their meseta, and weapon... in my case; my beloved Lavis Cannon! He then proceeded to dance around waving MY Lavis Cannon, while me and the other 2 guys I was with fired every known insult in the vast depths of every language at him...

Saigan
Oct 31, 2006, 09:40 PM
I remember being absolutely horrible at it and no one would tell me my problem (there's no block button, the dragon can and will step on you, comboing is not just possible but reccomended) lord but I was a noob. Level 34 and in caves kinda noob.

Thank god those days are over.

Oh- I also remember somebody using the resta hack to kill me and take my only rare.

Lord only knows why I picked it up on Cube lol.