PDA

View Full Version : About locked content.. (Not a rant but a question)

PJesus
Oct 31, 2006, 04:42 PM
Well, I've been reading a lot of rants on the offical PSU forums about theories and everyone flaming each other into oblivion... I figured this community is mature enough to be able to discuss something like this without having to turn into a consumer viewpoint against fanboy flame war.. so here goes.

The content in this game right now is simply lacking. Sure, some stuff is there, but I was expecting more. I realize some might try and start with "PSO was like this" but keep in mind, PSO came out on the Dreamcast in 2006, over 6 years ago (According to Wikipedia (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Online))
So the lack of content shouldn't be an issue. It seems to me like this game was almost made half-assed. I realize that it was strongly reccomended to play the Single-Player first (Even in the instruction manual) but I didn't buy this game to play it offline. (Besides, the voice acting in the story is utterly horrid to the point where it turns me away from the game)

What I don't understand is, Why does the JP version of the game already have atleast 1 update (and another planned) when the NA version does not? It was confirmed that we play on the same servers as the JP (Atleast for 360, which is the version I play) and I have yet to see a JP player with me, which leads me to believe that we are actually on different servers because of content. I feel cheated that they have it and we don't, which i'm sure can be felt by others as well.

I realize there are many issues that must be delt with, such as patching and fixing bugs etc, but if another country already has the content, it leads me to believe that it's not a network issue as much as a translation one. I can understand that it must take time, but why release a game that's only half complete? (Yes, i'm referring to the online portion as the only portion because thats what this whole post is about.)

Now I'm not trying to whine and complain about the situation as much as I am trying to understand and get answers. Don't get me wrong, i've been playing Phantasy Star since V1 on the Dreamcast (online!) and I love the series. I feel that since other games have so much content and charge just a few dollars more per month, that PSU should be offering atleast somewhat comperable content.

I'll admit, I haven't played all of the content yet, but it just seems the same to me. I've done all of the missions atleast on C, and some on B.. but it just doesn't intrest me that I can't get better gear. I know it's just been out a week, but I'm already in my 20's, with a 5 Star Synthed weapon and i'm running out of things to do. Any suggestions on what I could do in the game would also be welcomed.

I am curious as to what the rest of PSO-W thinks as a community about the fact we (NA users anyway) don't have half of the content that the JP userbase does.

Jiga
Oct 31, 2006, 04:46 PM
JP version has been out longer, and I don't think ST has the force of other large ORPG companies, nor the budget.

Russ2576
Oct 31, 2006, 04:47 PM
Simple, the Jp version has been out for a few months. We just got ours last week.

PJesus
Oct 31, 2006, 04:48 PM
On 2006-10-31 13:46, Jiga wrote:
JP version has been out longer, and I don't think ST has the force of other large ORPG companies, nor the budget.

While I can see the budget issue being a key concern, is the JP version not the same game as the NA version? Granted there might be slight regional differences, do you think that means there should be such a major difference?

Russ2576
Oct 31, 2006, 04:50 PM
The Jp version has been out longer. It doesn't get much more complicated than that. Do you really think it would've been fair to make them wait 2 or 3 months til we got it before they got a content update?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ2576 on 2006-10-31 13:51 ]</font>

Schubalts
Oct 31, 2006, 04:51 PM
I'm pretty sure the tJapanese 360 version hasn't been released yet. Unless I'm mistaken...

AndrewLD16
Oct 31, 2006, 04:52 PM
On 2006-10-31 13:47, Russ2576 wrote:
Simple, the Jp version has been out for a few months. We just got ours last week.

:werd:

PJesus
Oct 31, 2006, 04:52 PM
On 2006-10-31 13:50, Russ2576 wrote:
The Jp version has been out longer. It doesn't get muhc complicated than that. Do you really think it would've been fair to make them wait 2 or 3 months til we got it before they got a content update?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ2576 on 2006-10-31 13:51 ]</font>

I feel that would be unquestionably a terrible business decision; However, I feel that we should have already has this content released to us in a patch at release.

PJesus
Oct 31, 2006, 04:53 PM
On 2006-10-31 13:51, Schubalts wrote:
I'm pretty sure the tJapanese 360 version hasn't been released yet. Unless I'm mistaken...

That explains a lot of things, and I can understand why the content is sort of on standby with that. However, is it a platform issue or something larger?

Russ2576
Oct 31, 2006, 04:54 PM
On 2006-10-31 13:52, PJesus wrote:

On 2006-10-31 13:50, Russ2576 wrote:
The Jp version has been out longer. It doesn't get muhc complicated than that. Do you really think it would've been fair to make them wait 2 or 3 months til we got it before they got a content update?

I feel that would be unquestionably a terrible business decision; However, I feel that we should have already has this content released to us in a patch at release.

Eh, we're on a different time schedule than they are. If we were all playing together, than yeah, we'd have that update. But we're not.

KirinDave
I'm not sure there is any technical reason for the delay. It's probably business-related. By drawing out content releases, they prolong the game's life. They also prevent a small number of people from taking over the economy by sheer force of hours played.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It does seem to me like there is still a lot to do though. Shops, lots of synths, grinds, PM evolution, leveling jobs. I know some people have much more time to play than I do, but it'll probably take me at least a month to get my shop, my clothes, my house decked just so, and getting my force job to 10 may take forever.

Jiga
I don't know about it being a major difference. I don't know what entails getting the new content working and tested on 3 different systems and in another language to boot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I feel the same as you bro, I hate seeing JP get the content first, but EU doesn't even have PSU yet.

parabolee
Oct 31, 2006, 04:56 PM
We are on the same update schedule as Japan. So if they got an update 30 days after release, we will get one 30 days after OUR release. The Japanese 360 version is not out yet so they don't have more than we do, they have nothing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

watashiwa
Oct 31, 2006, 04:58 PM
The thing I am confused about is if they're going to count the Japanese "beta" month as days the game was in progress... Because, if so, then we won't be seeing Moatoob or anything new for a month and a half... if they aren't counting that, then I fully expect to see Moatoob in 1-2 weeks or so.. (Which is what I am hoping for..)

Saner
Oct 31, 2006, 04:59 PM
perhaps this is just not the right time for you to jump online, better when all the content on the disk is made available for online.

I also question this since there are not much missions, but it will grow over time. I do agree they should of made all missions, content, etc. but oh well, it's true size and nature will be available eventually in the future.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

but anyways there is still plenty to do, plenty to buy, etc. etc. so if you like, you can skip a month or two and come back when it's larger than it first started.

I think if you cancel your account, you can keep your character for like 3 months before they delete it.

so ya don't force yourself to keep paying to play if there's not enough for you in the meantime. just cancel it, take a breather, then come back and you'll find many more cooler things to do. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Sizzors
Oct 31, 2006, 05:00 PM
We just need to wait. That's all, I'm sure ST will ofcus on pleasing domestic needs instead of foreign. I'm not trying to predict ST's marketing strategy, but that does seem logical.

And when you put a link to wikipedia, you killed a lot of my trust in your argument.

watashiwa
Oct 31, 2006, 05:01 PM
On 2006-10-31 13:59, Saner wrote:
I think if you cancel your account, you can keep your character for like 3 months before they delete it.

I don't think they've mentioned anything about your character being deleted for being inactive with this game...

PJesus
Oct 31, 2006, 05:01 PM
perhaps this is just not the right time for you to jump online, better when all the content on the disk is made available for online.

I also question this since there are not much missions, but it will grow over time. I do agree they should of made all missions, content, etc. but oh well, it's true size and nature will be available eventually in the future.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

but anyways there is still plenty to do, plenty to buy, etc. etc. so if you like, you can skip a month or two and come back when it's larger than it first started.

so ya don't force yourself to keep paying to play if there's not enough for you in the meantime. just cancel it, take a breather, then come back and you'll find many more cooler things to do. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

You're right. I do tend to get a little obsessed with a game when I start to play it (6 years of Everquest 1, not to mention countless other MMOs) but I guess what i'm really missing from the game is a bunch of friends to do things with. So if anyone on the Xbox360 version would like to hunt with me, My character is Aoenin, a Beast Hunter in his 20's. Send me a shout or a message over 360, my gamertag being PJesus.

PJesus
Oct 31, 2006, 05:02 PM
On 2006-10-31 14:00, Sizzors wrote:
We just need to wait. That's all, I'm sure ST will ofcus on pleasing domestic needs instead of foreign. I'm not trying to predict ST's marketing strategy, but that does seem logical.

And when you put a link to wikipedia, you killed a lot of my trust in your argument.

I'll be honest, i'm not dedicated enough to run and grab my copy of PSO V1 Dreamcast from the other room, scan the copyright information, and post an image of it so I cited Wikipedia. However, I felt it was better than nothing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sizzors
Oct 31, 2006, 05:03 PM
On 2006-10-31 14:01, watashiwa wrote:

I don't think they've mentioned anything about your character being deleted for being inactive with this game...

Yeah, so create 50 new accounts with 4 characters each and leave them inactive. They won't delete any of them, right?

watashiwa
Oct 31, 2006, 05:05 PM
On 2006-10-31 14:03, Sizzors wrote:
Yeah, so create 50 new accounts with 4 characters each and leave them inactive. They won't delete any of them, right?

You're being a little extreme there, buddy.

I don't think they allow multiple accounts to be created with the same credit card.. Plus, if they do, either way they get money from you to open the account.

In addition to that, although it was said that Blue Burst would delete your characters for inactivity, I left my characters inactive for over a year and they were still there when I reactivated my account.

PJesus

Please stay on topic.

Jiga

I'll give you all my meseta for 50*$9.99.

Sizzors
Oct 31, 2006, 05:08 PM
On 2006-10-31 14:05, watashiwa wrote:

You're being a little extreme there, buddy.

Hardly. With the 360, you could create 50 silver accounts with 30 day free trials, or for PC just get 50 credit cards. Then make new accounts and cancel your subscription. People do stuff like that, look at the lvl 50+ in PSU, they haven't even gone to the bathroom since PSU came out. Believe me, people have the patience to do this.

watashiwa
Oct 31, 2006, 05:09 PM
On 2006-10-31 14:05, Jiga wrote:
I'll give you all my meseta for 50*$9.99.

Heck, I would too. ;P

Oh, and it's not like a character on this game takes up megabytes of space either, at max the information for 4 characters on one account is probably somewhere along the lines of a few kilobytes... 50 times a few kilobytes is hardly any data space used, really.

(PSO Blue Burst's character files were somewhere around 13k..)

So, if you consider Blue Burst.. 50 accounts * 13k * 4 characters = 2.6mb

Not really that bad.

I'd imagine PSU's data for a character might be something like twice that, but nothing really excessive.

Saner
Oct 31, 2006, 05:09 PM
well if its true they never delete our characters, that's really cool, that gives no pressure to people who dont or cant play for a while,

but are willing to come back later and start paying again to have more fun with more new stuff available by the time they return. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

watashiwa
Oct 31, 2006, 05:10 PM
On 2006-10-31 14:08, Sizzors wrote:

Hardly. With the 360, you could create 50 silver accounts with 30 day free trials, or for PC just get 50 credit cards. Then make new accounts and cancel your subscription.

There are no "trials" for this game, really. You get billed just starting an account.

Even if you cancel your subscription, it just cancels the next and future month's recurring billing cycle.

They make money either way you go about it.

Sizzors
Oct 31, 2006, 05:40 PM
On 2006-10-31 14:10, watashiwa wrote:

There are no "trials" for this game, really. You get billed just starting an account.

Even if you cancel your subscription, it just cancels the next and future month's recurring billing cycle.

They make money either way you go about it.

We should stop arguing about this, its off topic. Either way, people have the resources to do that, and some people are crazy fanatics, or just crazy.

Chibi_Nova
Oct 31, 2006, 05:48 PM
would it really be fair that the jp players had nothing at their release and we did?

Shrevn
Oct 31, 2006, 05:50 PM
Seriously who cares, most of the people will play this game for the month 1/2 and quit, this game is broken im not trying to troll, but really i tought this would be a whole lot better then it actually is... This is a replica of PSO and PSO came out 6 years ago, with games like WOW, FFXI and god knows what else out there this is outdated, repeated zones and killing the same f'in mobs over and over for a lil of XP is old.... Sega lost on this one big time

Ruby-chan
Oct 31, 2006, 05:53 PM
It's the usual stupidity from Sega around for another go. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Sega thinks the previous problems with people sticking around for the online game was because one was a card game and the others have been updates of the original game released in 2000. Little do they realize that none of this is their real problem.

Don't worry.. like a retard that keeps licking a frozen pole, they'll eventually learn to stop doing it, or they'll die of hypothermia. (Although if we extend the scope of dumb Sega decisions back to the days of SMS, I fear they're in the final stages of it. n.n; )

_Deliverance_
Oct 31, 2006, 06:09 PM
It's definately not what I expected. The amount of content available is pretty small right now. I was expecting alot, as I stopped playing ffxi for this. ffxi has a HUGE amount of content compared to this game. I'm not comparing games, but rather, the content level. If Sega wants to compete in MMO land, they're gonna have to add severl times more than what we are playing right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having a blast. At first, I thought that I would be cancelling my ffxi account, because PSU is awesome to play. But after playing for a week, I can already see that this game may not have the depth to keep me occupied for a long time.

Time will tell. It's a good thing I have a bunch of RL friends that are playing PSU along with me.

Jasam
Oct 31, 2006, 06:18 PM
This isn't the time to complain.
The time to complain is if we don't get the exact same update schedule as the JP.
So long as our content stays at the same rate as theirs, the game will gow well...
However knowing ST, we will get half the content in double the time the JP sevrvers get it...
Thats when you complain.

Ryogen
Oct 31, 2006, 06:25 PM
On 2006-10-31 13:42, PJesus wrote:
"PSO was like this" but keep in mind, PSO came out on the Dreamcast in 2006, over 6 years ago (According to Wikipedia (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Online))

Ok, you got to stop looking at wikipedia.

HolyWizard
Oct 31, 2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah, give it time. I'm personally not displeased at all. There COULD be more missions but nonetheless I'm always finding something to do and something to save my meseta for.

As most have said, it's been out for one week. Part of having the honor of being the first people to play the NA version is unfortunately not having a completely updated game. There is more to come, and we might be able to rip on SEGA for not having a "complete" game (no Moatoob, not all synth options, type options unlocked, etc.) but they have given us so much for us to sink our teeth on already IMO.

Sorenia
Oct 31, 2006, 06:30 PM

When you sign up it says very clearly something about them deleting accounts after 3 months of being canceled. This is still really baffling to me. It's clear they are trying to keep people from deactivating but it's a double edged sword because if someone actually does let their account be deleted it's pretty unlikely they'll feel the urge to start playing again a year later for some expansion or what not.

Javienn
Oct 31, 2006, 06:31 PM
Personally, my biggest issue is not with how we are recieving content updates on the same timeline as the JP servers, but rather the amount of finished, already translated and 100% complete content that is installed on our systems but has not been activated for online play.

You can make use of all expert classes and all planets and a slew of weapons in the offline mode, yet these items are restricted online. All they are going to do is change the server ini file, reboot the system and unlock content that we should already have, and content that the game was sold and marketed to contain both online and offline.

I believe it is wrong to do this. I understand paying the monthly fee for content updates, but for unlocking content that is already FULLY available offline for online play is not a content update, and as such should be fully available to use.

Now, the arguement is that there is no way we could make use of all this content at launch, but that is irrelevant. It is still finished content and should not be locked and treated as a content patch later on. They do not have to translate anything nor create any additional artwork / content.

I understand the tiem difference between the real content updates as it takes time to translate and localize the text, but this initial content is wrong.

KiteWolfwood
Oct 31, 2006, 06:34 PM
Yes the 360 servers does play on JP servers. But you have to remember that the 360 is a separate server from the Ps2 an Pc. The JP version had to wait something like 42 days before the first update. They decided that to keep things fair and make sure that there wasn't any bugs they would use the same time frame for updates as the JP servers did.

waluigi1
Oct 31, 2006, 06:39 PM
On 2006-10-31 15:27, HolyWizard wrote:
Yeah, give it time. I'm personally not displeased at all. There COULD be more missions but nonetheless I'm always finding something to do and something to save my meseta for.

As most have said, it's been out for one week. Part of having the honor of being the first people to play the NA version is unfortunately not having a completely updated game. There is more to come, and we might be able to rip on SEGA for not having a "complete" game (no Moatoob, not all synth options, type options unlocked, etc.) but they have given us so much for us to sink our teeth on already IMO.

QFT

Ecstasy
Oct 31, 2006, 06:39 PM
I wan't ALOT more content soon, We are all paying a mothly fee. yet guild wars hade way more content, and it is free.

Tay200k
Oct 31, 2006, 06:44 PM
i allmost cryed today no pumpkins/halloween stuff around! hope they put up the xmas decorations lol

Ri0T
Oct 31, 2006, 07:11 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the original post seemed like a rant to me. XD

While Japan has the content while we don't isn't really the issue... We have the content. We can play with a lot of it in Story Mode. It wouldn't be a big deal if we had oodles of stuff to tide us over in Network Mode, but we don't. Not only are there a small number of missions, but most of us focus on certain missions that give us the best rewards. There is not a lot to do besides farm exp, meseta, and materials.

In a word, I feel gimped. We should all remember though that the Japanese most likely went through the same thing for that first month. Now, if we don't get the updates in a timely manner, it's time to start getting ticked.

Germ0nick
Oct 31, 2006, 07:16 PM
In a word, I feel gimped. We should all remember though that the Japanese most likely went through the same thing for that first month. Now, if we don't get the updates in a timely manner, it's time to start getting ticked.

That sums it up pretty well I think.

McLaughlin
Oct 31, 2006, 07:52 PM
On 2006-10-31 13:42, PJesus wrote:
I am curious as to what the rest of PSO-W thinks as a community about the fact we (NA users anyway) don't have half of the content that the JP userbase does.

It hasn't even been out for a week. The JP have had it for 2 months.

They're going to follow roughly the asme regiment as the JP, so you can exepct content updates soon.

Patience is a virtue.

Maxurion
Oct 31, 2006, 07:54 PM
On 2006-10-31 15:31, Javienn wrote:
Personally, my biggest issue is not with how we are receiving content updates on the same timeline as the JP servers, but rather the amount of finished, already translated and 100% complete content that is installed on our systems but has not been activated for online play.

You can make use of all expert classes and all planets and a slew of weapons in the offline mode, yet these items are restricted online. All they are going to do is change the server ini file, reboot the system and unlock content that we should already have, and content that the game was sold and marketed to contain both online and offline.

I believe it is wrong to do this. I understand paying the monthly fee for content updates, but for unlocking content that is already FULLY available offline for online play is not a content update, and as such should be fully available to use.

Now, the arguement is that there is no way we could make use of all this content at launch, but that is irrelevant. It is still finished content and should not be locked and treated as a content patch later on. They do not have to translate anything nor create any additional artwork / content.

I understand the time difference between the real content updates as it takes time to translate and localize the text, but this initial content is wrong.

Agreed. I'm especially ticked off that the majority of the TECHNICS are locked, like the all important Giresta.

Mac2492
Oct 31, 2006, 08:09 PM
I see many of you arguing that since Japan had to wait a few months for updates, it's only fair that we should have to wait a few months for updates. According to this logic, though, wouldn't it be fair for us to get fully up-to-date on launch? We DID receive the game three months later, after all! That means we're waiting three months + update time. (now...)

BydoEmpire
Oct 31, 2006, 08:27 PM
PSO had WAY more content. There were dozens of quests, not 2-3 per level. And most importantly, the DUNGEONS WERE RANDOM. So even though you went through the same areas over and over, it always *felt* new. I think PSU should definitely have had more available right away. PSU does an awful lot right, and I definitely like the game, but the same quests over and over and over is getting old after only a week. That's the thing that gets me. PSO (DC) had enough content for me to play 200+ hours, and I know tons of people here spent way more time than that. I don't think I can bear 200 hours of Mad Monsters A-C. :/ This isn't an MMO, and it's a shame Sega seems to be treating it as such.

peenk
Oct 31, 2006, 08:36 PM
Funny that when I posted my thoughts when I "tried" JP PSU for a week (I said people should rent before buying) I was flamed to hell.
Now it seems, it all starts to make sense huh?
I am very pleased with US PSU though mainly because the only money SEGA will get from me, is the monthly $10s for guardian license.
Another arguement resolved:
PC PSU> PS2 PSU + 360 PSU
Everyone loves free games.

Saner
Nov 1, 2006, 02:37 AM
anyway the updates should occur at least every 2 weeks or something. every few months would be madness.

ya there is still plenty to do now but they really are testing the communities patience just giving us the content in small doses.

and ya FF11 and WoW have waaaay more content, but are they fun? not at all, IMO. even in U.S. PSU's current condition, it's waaaay more fun, exciting and beautiful than FF11 and WoW combined.

BigKevSexyMan
Nov 1, 2006, 02:42 AM
I hope they release new content this week. This has been plenty of time to get the hang of the online and finish the offline in time to understand the new guardian missions.

BooChan
Nov 1, 2006, 03:40 AM
The reason PSO on the DC is coonsidered better is because it was revolutionary for its time.Hell,I'm old enough to remember when the first Gauntlet came out in the arcades that was revolutionary too. But playing Gauntlet now is archaic. The first PSO is just as gimped as PSU is now. In order to play areas online you had to unlock them by playing offline or just beat the areas online. Most rare weapons looked the same. And many people avoided the Caves area because of how long and boring the music was, PSU has more depth than PSO. I would say PSU is the overall better game but Sega is definetly trying to add a more PC MMO pace to it. Because many of us are grinding for experience and meseta. After 2 yo 3 hours of doing constant Parum runs I get bored as well. I find extra mode more fun because meseta drops flow like fine wine. I noticed weapon drops are also a dime a dozen on PSU. This is a downgrade for me since your partner machinery levels faster when you feed it weapons and armor. I feel that Sega should of given us the update at launch. As much as I like sega's franchises their business decisions really suck.

gimbola
Nov 1, 2006, 04:16 AM
On 2006-10-31 14:50, Shrevn wrote:
Seriously who cares, most of the people will play this game for the month 1/2 and quit, this game is broken im not trying to troll, but really i tought this would be a whole lot better then it actually is... This is a replica of PSO and PSO came out 6 years ago, with games like WOW, FFXI and god knows what else out there this is outdated, repeated zones and killing the same f'in mobs over and over for a lil of XP is old.... Sega lost on this one big time

mate, im not being funny yeh but ive played WoW and FFXI now for like 4 years and i dno if its just me that thinks it but dont you just do the same old thing all day every day?? ive now got 4 characters to level 60 on WoW and its the same old stuff every time i play thru. FFXI is an excellent game but there is too much there to play having to wait hours for a party to exp isnt my idea of fun either http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

in any MMORPG essentially they follow the same format. go somewhere, kill something, get exp, level up and then repeat.

not aiming to flame by this post btw just proving a point.

Saner
Nov 1, 2006, 04:19 AM
yeah and don't get started about farming in those MMORPGs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

those games really stop being a game when you're farming to buy a vital piece of armor so you'll get accepted by a party that may not be around when you are seeking for one. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

gimbola
Nov 1, 2006, 04:46 AM
hehe thats my point http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ive always loved PSO because you can just go online and play and nobody will care what gear you have.

i personally cant actually wait until its out on the 24th, can you imagine having voice chat now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AnnabellaRenee87
Nov 1, 2006, 05:04 AM
Japanese xbox 360 release wont be till late december i beleave reading on thie verry site about a month ago

i do agree where the hell is all this so-called content i was promised well at least when the content is out il be high enough level to beat them easyley

Nephias
Nov 1, 2006, 08:06 AM
The US & EU versions REALLY REALLY REALLY needed to have launched with the current updates the Jpn ver. has.There is no excuse,none;saying otherwise is just deluding oneself.

I guess I'll just stick with offline mode and check back in a month or two,of course by then there'll be a slew of new shiney games for everyone to play.

Jiga
Nov 1, 2006, 09:03 AM
A lot of peeps who went PSO > FFXI/WOW > PSU need to break out of that hard-core MMO state http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif PSU is everything I expected it to be. PSO with a face lift. New content needs to be held off until the so-so PS fans quit PSU. So the hard-core PS community (not hardcore mmo'ers who have already created another job for themselves) can get some real topics up here.

Augustine
Nov 1, 2006, 09:15 AM
I agree with the general statements of most in this thread. I don't think there is hardly enough content. And until we get some more I am going to be taking PSU in small doses while dedicating most of my time to WoW.

Let's hope Sega doesn't screw this up. We are paying them to get it right, after all.

Para
Nov 1, 2006, 09:21 AM
On 2006-10-31 14:50, Shrevn wrote:

Why change a proven working formula? If SEGA did lost on this one big time, Im pretty sure there would be a lot more people protesting and cancelling their subscription.

grimstone
Nov 1, 2006, 09:23 AM
lineage2 the us version is on a dif time line than the korean, same for rf online. the same for alot of other mmo's. wow had unfinished areas in the game. not saying i agree with but its just kinda the nature of the beast for online games.

Jiga
Nov 1, 2006, 09:27 AM
On 2006-11-01 00:40, BooChan wrote:
The reason PSO on the DC is coonsidered better is because it was revolutionary for its time.Hell,I'm old enough to remember when the first Gauntlet came out in the arcades that was revolutionary too. But playing Gauntlet now is archaic. The first PSO is just as gimped as PSU is now. In order to play areas online you had to unlock them by playing offline or just beat the areas online. Most rare weapons looked the same. And many people avoided the Caves area because of how long and boring the music was, PSU has more depth than PSO. I would say PSU is the overall better game but Sega is definetly trying to add a more PC MMO pace to it. Because many of us are grinding for experience and meseta. After 2 yo 3 hours of doing constant Parum runs I get bored as well. I find extra mode more fun because meseta drops flow like fine wine. I noticed weapon drops are also a dime a dozen on PSU. This is a downgrade for me since your partner machinery levels faster when you feed it weapons and armor. I feel that Sega should of given us the update at launch. As much as I like sega's franchises their business decisions really suck.

Again I don't think Sonic Team (not sega, sonic team) has the manpower to squat and squirt out content that flows like your meseta you find in extra mode. I think they are busy as hell trying to get people in places other than America the availability to play PSU. I would take playing PSU Oct. 24th without Mootoab and Halloween content over waiting til January any day of the week.

Cerulean
Nov 1, 2006, 09:43 AM
We always want what we can't have.

Firedancer
Nov 1, 2006, 10:02 AM
I'm willing to bet that the update will come on or shortly before November 24th.

As the EU and US servers are linked, I don't there's a way they could give the US players access to Moatoab, or new weapons, but keep it from the EU players. So I think that while players here in the EU are waiting longer, we'll get a more "complete" and hopefully more stable release.

I think it'd make sense for Sega to do this, to welcome new EU players and reward the existing US players who are screaming for new content (after less than a week?)

Just my opinion, anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firedancer on 2006-11-01 07:07 ]</font>

AngelLight
Nov 1, 2006, 10:45 AM
The JP market is their focus...that's their target market first and foremost...their home ground. I can see why they would want to do that (the timeframe for release) as it gives a nice epeen boost to some of the JP players (they're on the bleeding edge of content that way). But, FFXI came out on JP markets as well before anywhere else and when it did hit the US, we got all the content updates on the spot then and there. Now part of the reason was because the JP and US shared the same servers....but then it comes down to why are they split apart in the first place and basically the only answer I've seen on this is cause " the JP players dont like the US players running around causing trouble" . We're seen as the cause of all the major ills in the gaming community by the JP players and they just dont want to deal with us...thus the segmentation which leads indirectly to why our content is behind the JP servers. Language barrier doesn't help matters either.

Dispite all of this, there are two good things that come out of this....

a) All the bugs hit the JP servers first....and assuming they fix them and pass the fixes on to the update packets themselves ahead of time...then that theoetically means less bugs for us. Again, this is assuming the fixes are not 2-3 mos behind as well.

b) All of the nerfs and buffs to a class (for example, rangers) are publically displayed for all to see and we get the heads up on just exactly what is coming down the pike. By doing that, we have more planning time to do things to prepare ourselves for the future change without the "Surprise! Here's your nerf for the week ^_^" that the JP market gets. We have advance warning. Only problem with this is that we really have no input into what we feel should be done to a class or race....since all of the nerfs and buffs are coming out of the JP developers themselves. Sega Of America does have direct control over some things (like drop rates, minor stat changes for players and monsters, and other guage statistical things like that)...but anything real in depth is out of their hands and they have to default to the developer themselves. It sucks I know but that's the reality of it.

As it is, I'm enjoying it for what it is...but I've said all along....doing a release in this manner isn't going to help their US or EU markets.....outside of die hard PSO fans or ppl totally sick of the status quo of WoW or FFXI that just happens to see this game over the 6 other games like it coming out the same time will jump on it....but the average player or anything mainstream? They're going to pass on this. Hopefully, we'll still have a viable community to play with in multi online (cause there are times that I'm on that there's very few people online with me).

Here's to hoping for a bright future in our new virtual world. Cheers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

A-Town
Nov 1, 2006, 10:56 AM
I kind of like this, even though i wish there was a bit more content, becuase then im not going to see people getting leaps and bounds above my current level. It also give people time to establish themselves in the world but not only leveling, but also farming, synthing, setting up shops, seems like Sega is just giving those who can not invest more than a few hours a day a chance to keep competative in the game and the games market

Ruby-chan
Nov 1, 2006, 11:37 AM
To give you all an idea of just how megar the online content is right now, DDO was lambasted for major lack of content and it had /lots/ more than PSU has. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Just something to think about.

Jiga
Nov 1, 2006, 12:22 PM
On 2006-11-01 07:45, AngelLight wrote:
Now part of the reason was because the JP and US shared the same servers....but then it comes down to why are they split apart in the first place and basically the only answer I've seen on this is cause " the JP players dont like the US players running around causing trouble" . We're seen as the cause of all the major ills in the gaming community by the JP players and they just dont want to deal with us...thus the segmentation which leads indirectly to why our content is behind the JP servers. Language barrier doesn't help matters either.

As it is, I'm enjoying it for what it is...but I've said all along....doing a release in this manner isn't going to help their US or EU markets.....outside of die hard PSO fans or ppl totally sick of the status quo of WoW or FFXI that just happens to see this game over the 6 other games like it coming out the same time will jump on it....but the average player or anything mainstream? They're going to pass on this. Hopefully, we'll still have a viable community to play with in multi online (cause there are times that I'm on that there's very few people online with me).

I don't think ST cares how JP players view US players or EU players. Maybe perhaps not linking us actually adds to the performance of the game in some way or allows ST to do things they would normally not be able to do without the seperation?

Content rants are starting to become a nuisance. They are already planning the expansion and it is the general concensus we will be getting the update before Nov. 24th. PSO v.1 had no monthly fee, and I think ST actually wanted you to possibly put the game down and try some Sonic Adventure every once in a while. People need to stop dissing this game because it doesn't require you to play 24/7. That is not a reason to rant. The content is not a reason to rant. A lot of people aren't even buying PSU, they are torrenting it.

You get what you pay for.

FrogKicker
Nov 1, 2006, 12:58 PM
JP customers are the main focus eh? Well this sure is a damned good thing for us 360ers since our servers are linked together. Hell, even on PSO you heard countless bitching about how the JP players always got everything but no one else did, quests, items...ect. So it's dandy as hell to know we will be getting everything the JP players get while the ps2/PCers are missing out. *cackle*

Gogo gadget 360.

Dr_Lantis
Nov 1, 2006, 01:00 PM
On 2006-11-01 09:22, Jiga wrote:

On 2006-11-01 07:45, AngelLight wrote:
Now part of the reason was because the JP and US shared the same servers....but then it comes down to why are they split apart in the first place and basically the only answer I've seen on this is cause " the JP players dont like the US players running around causing trouble" . We're seen as the cause of all the major ills in the gaming community by the JP players and they just dont want to deal with us...thus the segmentation which leads indirectly to why our content is behind the JP servers. Language barrier doesn't help matters either.

I don't think ST cares how JP players view US players or EU players. Maybe perhaps not linking us actually adds to the performance of the game in some way or allows ST to do things they would normally not be able to do without the seperation?

Content rants are starting to become a nuisance. They are already planning the expansion and it is the general concensus we will be getting the update before Nov. 24th. PSO v.1 had no monthly fee, and I think ST actually wanted you to possibly put the game down and try some Sonic Adventure every once in a while. People need to stop dissing this game because it doesn't require you to play 24/7. That is not a reason to rant. The content is not a reason to rant. A lot of people aren't even buying PSU, they are torrenting it.

I paid for my PC verison and I paid a fine amount to play online, so I don't want ST to half-ass the US and EU audiences.

Ecstasy
Nov 1, 2006, 01:12 PM
Again, i wouldnt mind the lack of content if i wasnt paying a monthly fee. But seeing as we hade nearly just as much content on PSO for the DC, and it was FREE i wan't my money's worth. Maybe some of you don't mind grinding 8 missions with no expert classes, Very few weapons, only a few changes of clothes, and using shitty B rank weapons at high lvls.

But I do, and if im going to be paying a monthly fee i don't wan't less content then what free MMo's offered at launch. Exspecially Content that is already in the game, but not unlocked!!!

Ecstasy
Nov 1, 2006, 01:14 PM
P.S. if they were going to do this then we should have gotten 30 days free without being charged until then.

AngelLight
Nov 1, 2006, 01:19 PM

Um if you read my whole post you would of seen that I'm "enjoying it for what is is atm". If you're going to quote me and then lamblast me, then read the whole post before talking.

As for the JP market, it doesn't take much to see that PS anything is at best a cult following anywhere but in Japan. Over there, there's books, dolls, and god knows what else everywhere. Games like this are their culture, it's part of what makes their society a little bit different from the rest of the world.....so given that, of course Sega has better potential to make money off of the game itself (and franchise items and rights off of the game) in Japan then anywhere else in the world.....even though there may be in fact more gamers in America (as a bulk amount) then there are in Japan. But consider though what the big sellers are here in the States vs. what the big sellers are in Japan.......

For some americans, they dont like the look...to each their own I say.

For some, they dont like the game style (which is different from what some games of this ilk are that are produced by American or European developers).....Which if you think about it, does PS look anything remotely close to any game ever made by Richard Garrott? Or Peter Mourleaux (prolly butchered the spelling but, meh)? Or Blizzard staffers? How about Betheria Studios or the Pipeworks team? PSU is unique compared to the mainstream, but some people dont like that.

My point is, even outside of cult status, you're still competing against all sorts of things and because you're different it's going to alienate customers on the spot. I personally like different....I'm sure there's alot of people out there that like different....and that's the market to tap into for this game. But, if you're going to try to go for that market and then do a low content initial release when in fact the content is pretty much already done (with maybe the exception of translation) then guess what, people will go elsewhere. Add to the fact the cult status and it's a big hurdle to overcome and stay profitable (which is the #1 goal of any company no matter what anyone says).

It was a mistake to do it this way. But AGAIN, I'm enjoying it for what it is atm cause I'm a fan of PS and that's the sticking point for my dollar at least.

Schubalts
Nov 1, 2006, 01:27 PM
I didn't recognise any of those names except for Blizzard...does that mean I suck? >.<

AngelLight
Nov 1, 2006, 01:48 PM
LOL

Nah, you dont suck.... I'll be happy to illistrate:

Richard Garrott? ...he's the Famous "Lord British". In otherwords, the creator of all the Ultima games....including UO or Ultima Online, one of the real old MMOs. He's currently working on Tabusa Rasa as his new online project.

Or Peter Mourleaux (prolly butchered the spelling but, meh)? He's the guy who made Black & White.....but for the context of this comparison, He's also the maker of the Fable games....not an active online play game, but a real strong online community exists for it.

Or Blizzard staffers? WoW, obviously

How about Betheria Studios or the Pipeworks team? The makers of Elder Scrolls...including the wildly popular (as of now) Oblivion. There's a MAJOR mod community for this game and they're talking about making an MMO (a long ways off and its still a rumor) based on the Elder Scrolls universe.

There's one other comparison that should be mentioned that I forgot to say...but it's important cause there's alot of stuff in common between the two.......Arenanet, the makers (or is it publisher? I forget at times) of Guild Wars...of which there are simularities between the two (and would most likely be the main direct competition for PSU atm cause Nightfall just came out today I think (the 2nd pay expansion, not counting the free Sorrow's Furnace)).

Hope that helps.

Jiga
Nov 1, 2006, 01:48 PM
On 2006-11-01 10:19, AngelLight wrote:

Um if you read my whole post you would of seen that I'm "enjoying it for what is is atm". If you're going to quote me and then lamblast me, then read the whole post before talking.

I almost edited the post as soon as I hit submit to say "not targeted specifically at you". Not lamblasting you, but I think people are not giving credit where it is due. If you played for 4 hours a day, 7 days a week, I highly doubt its possible one will have finished story mode, all missions, leveled to 50, and have PM in combat by the time the update hits.

In World of Warcraft, about two months after the release people complained about the lack of content. I, too, am happy with what content is available now in PSU. Congrats to those who have flown through what content is already out. Now what are you going to do. A week after Moat is open, what are you going to do.

Back to the lamblasting: I respect each poster, and would not attempt to respond without reading the entire post. You will also never see me say "Um... you uh...", looks like trolling.

AngelLight
Nov 1, 2006, 01:50 PM
On 2006-11-01 10:48, Jiga wrote:

I almost edited the post as soon as I hit submit to say "not targeted specifically at you". Not lamblasting you, but I think people are not giving credit where it is due. If you played for 4 hours a day, 7 days a week, I highly doubt its possible one will have finished story mode, all missions, leveled to 50, and have PM in combat by the time the update hits.

In World of Warcraft, about two months after the release people complained about the lack of content. I, too, am happy with what content is available now in PSU. Congrats to those who have flown through what content is already out. Now what are you going to do. A week after Moat is open, what are you going to do.

Back to the lamblasting: I respect each poster, and would not attempt to respond without reading the entire post. You will also never see me say "Um... you uh...", looks like trolling.

Ok fair enough then....I'm glad you replied with this response. I'm always happy to have a good debate with intelligent people and I just wanted to make sure that you we're not taking what I said out of context or misunderstanding my stance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AngelLight on 2006-11-01 10:52 ]</font>

Javienn
Nov 1, 2006, 01:52 PM
The issue for me at this point in time is not the fact that we don't have all of the extra content that the JP have, or that it will take longer to get what the JP have or will be getting, but rather the fact that we currently do not have access to the entire game that was installed on our systems.

I understand that it was the same for the JP as well, and in both cases it is wrong! Our first "content patch" is not going to contain any new content at all! It is just going to unlock content that is already installed on our machines and allow us access to it online.

Now that is what I call unethical and misleading to customers who purchased the game at launch.

I also admit that I would never have made use of most of this additional content (other than creating / grinding Tenora weapons), but the fact is that SEGA is misleading people to think that Moatoob and Expert classes are a "content patch" when in fact we all have them installed on our systems and they are just "unlocking" content for online play that for all intensive purposes should already be available!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Javienn on 2006-11-01 10:53 ]</font>

AngelLight
Nov 1, 2006, 01:55 PM
It's an interesting point you make, not sure anyone can really respond to that except a SEGA person as to that business decision. Would love to see an intellignet retort to this by SEGA though someday, though I doubt I ever will.

Jiga
Nov 1, 2006, 01:58 PM
I think we need to find an actual ad for PSU that states what we would have at launch. Just out of curiosity and in defense of Javienn's statement.

Javienn
Nov 1, 2006, 02:05 PM
I agree. I'd love to see a response from SEGA, but from what I have seen and read this is what they have done in BB, this is how things worked in PSU JP.

I'd just like to see some ethical business practices and not see them misleading paying customers into thinking the first handful of "content patches" are new content and not just staggering the release of finished and installed items and areas.

Javienn
Nov 1, 2006, 02:07 PM
The back of the game box states 3 huge planets to explore and a huge amount of online quests. (paraphrased as I don't have the box with me here at work)

I know it doesn't stipulate wether all 3 planets are available for both online and offline, but if all this content is available offline, what reason do they have for locking it other than staggering the "unlocking" of these items to get more money from launch players?

Don't get me wrong, I am currently level 21 and have enjoyed everything so far. I'm just pointing out some business practices that I do not think are ethical.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Javienn on 2006-11-01 11:09 ]</font>

Shye
Nov 1, 2006, 02:07 PM
The feeling I get from seeing what's released and what "will be" released eventually is that this game, the online portion, is less than 10% done. To me it just looks like a way to milk people for the same content that normally would have been included at release before downloadable content became available.

I appreciate updates, but it just seems to me that their "updates" are nothing more than should have been there in the first place. Regardless of the reason behind it, I'm kind of insulted.

The bugs, the amount of things that aren't released yet, it just feels to me like they released it too early. I'm impatient but I would've waited for a real game with my monthly fees going towards new content rather than getting sold what really should've been in there to begin with.

If I walked into a car dealership and was going to buy a car, and was told I could have the chassis but the wheels, gas pedal, steering wheel, glove compartment, windshield, bumpers, gas tank, brake lines, back seat, and numerous other things would be delivered and installed "some time in the future" (meaning months) while I was still making payments on it... I'd walk out.

I appreciate and enjoy this game but Sonic Team hasn't impressed me with what they're doing. Remember way back when you bought a game and all the content was with it? I wonder how big video games would be now if Super Mario Brothers only let you play the first two levels... and then months later added world 3-1... and fireballs.

Javienn
Nov 1, 2006, 02:13 PM
On 2006-11-01 11:07, Shye wrote:
The feeling I get from seeing what's released and what "will be" released eventually is that this game, the online portion, is less than 10% done. To me it just looks like a way to milk people for the same content that normally would have been included at release before downloadable content became available.

I appreciate updates, but it just seems to me that their "updates" are nothing more than should have been there in the first place. Regardless of the reason behind it, I'm kind of insulted.

The bugs, the amount of things that aren't released yet, it just feels to me like they released it too early. I'm impatient but I would've waited for a real game with my monthly fees going towards new content rather than getting sold what really should've been in there to begin with.

If I walked into a car dealership and was going to buy a car, and was told I could have the chassis but the wheels, gas pedal, steering wheel, glove compartment, windshield, bumpers, gas tank, brake lines, back seat, and numerous other things would be delivered and installed "some time in the future" (meaning months) while I was still making payments on it... I'd walk out.

I appreciate and enjoy this game but Sonic Team hasn't impressed me with what they're doing. Remember way back when you bought a game and all the content was with it? I wonder how big video games would be now if Super Mario Brothers only let you play the first two levels... and then months later added world 3-1... and fireballs.

Now realize that PSU already has all of the 3rd planet, its monsters, boses, items, areas installed on your pc already and that SEGA is just activating them for online play slowly over a period of time.

Sure, at some point in time they will activate everything and start releasing new content and thats where its not right. New content should be the first content patch... not what they are doing now.

It's like using your car analogy and saying you buy the car (downpayment)... get the whole car, you pay your monthly fee to use the car but they are only activating the radio after 30 days of use... the A/C after60 days of use... ect, etc.

Pengfishh
Nov 1, 2006, 02:14 PM
Meh, I've found plenty to do. I switched my focus from leveling to synthing, which helps to alleviate any feelings of the game being incomplete in that I need specific materials and there are only so many places I can go to get them. It's actually pretty handy.

AngelLight
Nov 1, 2006, 02:15 PM
On 2006-11-01 11:07, Shye wrote:

I wonder how big video games would be now if Super Mario Brothers only let you play the first two levels... and then months later added world 3-1... and fireballs.

Heh, this made me LOL kind of out loud at work ^_^

Shye
Nov 1, 2006, 02:19 PM
On 2006-11-01 11:13, Javienn wrote:
Now realize that PSU already has all of the 3rd planet, its monsters, boses, items, areas installed on your pc already and that SEGA is just activating them for online play slowly over a period of time.

Sure, at some point in time they will activate everything and start releasing new content and thats where its not right. New content should be the first content patch... not what they are doing now.

It's like using your car analogy and saying you buy the car (downpayment)... get the whole car, you pay your monthly fee to use the car but they are only activating the radio after 30 days of use... the A/C after60 days of use... ect, etc.

(My response is meant ot be taken light-hearted and in a sarcastic, smart-assy (but non-threatening) way)

I'd say, since I find the offline mode so... ugh... it's more like they'd let me use the radio for that month but not let me drive it for many more months to come. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I know what you mean, though, but having no interest in the offline game at all really just enhances my irritation about it.

I'm still playing, paying, and dealing with it so it's not like I'm going to stop (yet) I'm just lamenting how this could be step in a very bad direction for online gaming. *shudder*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shye on 2006-11-01 11:22 ]</font>

Javienn
Nov 1, 2006, 02:22 PM
Same here. I paid for my 6 months, and I will make good use of every last hour I can play. I just wish things started off a bit more customer friendly instead of trying to see what they could screw us out of right off the bat.

elephantman
Nov 1, 2006, 02:37 PM
the voice acting in story mode is top notch.

people who critique the voice acting have no basis for evaluation.

Jiga
Nov 1, 2006, 03:07 PM
Javienn, I still think there is reason for not having the content out now other than "we are trying to squeeze that dollar". It sucks you paid for 6 months expecting it all to be there. I don't ever expect these services to be completely ready at launch.

My standpoint is still I'm glad to have something now with the knowledge more is coming. I keep wondering where the EU players are in these content topics http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I swear I don't work for Sega http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Javienn
Nov 1, 2006, 03:17 PM
I'm still happy with what I have and what I will be getting, I just don't think its right that they are treating this locked content as new content when it clearly is not.

But enough from me. I'm enjoying this game and I don't want it to seem otherwise. Time to go level some more and try and make some more caliburs.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cause_I_Own_U
Nov 1, 2006, 03:24 PM
Sega is doing it right, its better to wait for the Europe players to get on so they can catch up, and its also good to let the casuals get higher lvl so the hardcore exp grinders dont take over the market

It must be working, because the majority of the whiners about lack of content are the hardcore grinders who are at lvl 40-45 right now and not much else to do but get money, its eating them up inside that us casuls are slowly catching up to them and they cant do anything about it =)........................oh and sega are poor mutha ******

Jiga
Nov 1, 2006, 03:28 PM
On 2006-11-01 12:24, Cause_I_Own_U wrote:
Sega is doing it right, its better to wait for the Europe players to get on so they can catch up, and its also good to let the casuals get higher lvl so the hardcore exp grinders dont take over the market

It must be working, because the majority of the whiners about lack of content are the hardcore grinders who are at lvl 40-45 right now and not much else to do but get money, its eating them up inside that us casuls are slowly catching up to them and they cant do anything about it =)........................oh and sega are poor mutha ******

Agreed.

PrinceRhys
Nov 1, 2006, 03:34 PM
Here's maybe one way to look at it:

For those concerned about the content being installed but not released, I think part of the problems is because the game is also on PS2, and the PS2 shares servers with the PC. Because of this, any updates apart to what is locked on the disk are loaded onto a memory card since it does not support the PS2 hard drive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this limits the amount of "real" updates and patches that can be released without releasing a whole new expansion disk. Again, by real updates, I mean updates not already included on the disk. If it were strictly a PC game, they could open the whole game up and release real updates (not saying they WOULD just saying they COULD).

So, PC and PS2 users see that there is unreleased content from playing the offline game (Moatoob for example). So, here are two possible trains of thought.

1) Since Moatoob is not released, we are not getting the full game because it is already on the disk. By extension, then, anything on the disk should be available because it is included on the disk. But if that's the case, then while PC users can just update with a download, a PS2 user's memory card is eventually going to get full, and that person would need to buy an expansion disk since we are paying the play and expect updates on both platforms. So I guess the only solution we end up with is having PSO-like episode disks coming out.

2) Everything shouldn't be made available, that's a bit extreme, but we should at least get Moatoob, expert classes, etc. That is a reasonable arguement. After all, the more content the better. But if single player was not available, we might not even know Moatoob is on the disk. Some may not even have been aware of Moatoob’s existence (we on pso-world would because we follow the game a little closer than most.) It would be just like all of the other locked content (what would make it any different the other locked content that we don’t know about?). Take, for example, that there is some "Rycros"-like (PS4 reference for those familiar) planet that comes into the Gurhal System every 1000 years, and suddenly that becomes a content update. What if that was already on the disk and we didn't know about it? Would it have been right for them to hold that back since it is a new fourth planet? What if it was in the story?

Not to discount anyone's opinion--you are entitled to feel how you would like to feel. I just wanted to put a different (long) perspective on the argument. Personally, I'm happy with the content, but that's because I am only at the brink of finishing story mode and have logged a collective, maybe, 5 hours into story mode so far (I forget the number but it is low)? Anyway, this argument sounded good in my head, and hopefully it is something to think about.

Javienn
Nov 1, 2006, 03:41 PM
PrinceRhys,

Very good points, and to be honest I had not looked at it that way.

Thanks for the insightful reply.

entropyboy
Nov 1, 2006, 04:57 PM
strangely enough, PSO had 4 levels and i still never got tired of that game and then ep1+2 came out and added only 4 more levels, for a total of 8. none being super-expansive, with so few varients that it was easy after time to have each variation memorized.

and yet, still i never got tired of the game.

so frankly, i am only concerned with the rate that they release new material on PSU. it would suck if it took months and months for us to get the 3rd planet, level cap increases, advanced job, etc etc. but the game already have the potential of being much more then PSO ever was.

did you play PSO? did you like PSO? i think people who come here after playing other MMOs will probably be disappointed because this isnt other MMOs. which is why i always liked PSO.

BooChan
Nov 2, 2006, 08:03 PM
Like I posted in my post, Sega's business practices suck. What works in JP business why doesn't fly here in the states.Americans are spoiled. We live in capitalist country. When we pay money we expect a return on our investment. I'm sure we and even I can delude ourselves into believing that their doing this for a good reason but in he end if your running a business and your providing a service in which people have to pay. Then you better make sure as a business you come up on your end. I luv the game but charging us for server maintanance thats still kinda spotty as far as getting online. And to unlock things that are already on the disc is just bad for business.

BooChan
Nov 2, 2006, 08:13 PM
Before someone goes all gung ho and rapes my last post(Jiga). I'm a long time sEga supporter so I'm not out to bash the Sega name. They are a good software developer but crappy business people. I'm sorry but thats fact.

Earthsunderer
Nov 2, 2006, 08:31 PM
As long as they make enough money to warrant an american branch, it seems to work however we feel it shouldn't. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Knoob
Nov 2, 2006, 10:19 PM
the whole half-game thing wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt constantly nagging you. personally i think i'd be less inclined to nag if say, tenora weps could be grinded on the colony temporarily >.<

Mugaaz2
Nov 2, 2006, 10:33 PM
People who think this is a plays a lot vs casual gamer debate are seriously lacking in intelligence. Sega does not care about that at all. This was done solely to make more money. If you have no problem with this, fine. Just expect it to be worse in the future. I bet the offline mode was supposed to be released in a similair way with it's episode structure. I'll love to see your comments when they make that a reality in the future. Maybe 10 years from now I can just bust out my visa if I want to change to an expert class. "It's only 4.99 guys, why are you complaining?".

xFuZioN
Nov 2, 2006, 11:13 PM
Well, i just bought my 360 copy today, but I will beat single player first, then i will play Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas in November, and I will go online in december around the time of the content update.