PDA

View Full Version : Is online laggy for everyone, or just for europeans?

Shanira
Oct 31, 2006, 05:01 PM
I finally got online today, and wow. Aside from things giving little to no meseta or experience, the lag! I'm not sure if this is because I'm a european or if everyone has it but if I hit something it won't register for like a second.

So, is it just me (and other europeans?) or is it like this for everyone? Makes playing well a tad difficult. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Shango
Oct 31, 2006, 05:06 PM
Lag could use some work but I don't think it's too bad in US.. I dislike mostly "dodging" an attack only to get hit by it out of range due to lag. Other than that it seems fine.

Shanira
Oct 31, 2006, 05:21 PM
Well it's pretty bad for me and making me reconsider making a hunter. When I'm in a city people skip around so badly I'm beginning to think if its worth playing at all I should go with a ranger, so I don't constantly get myself killed through lack of dodging, heh. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

El-Ahrairah
Oct 31, 2006, 05:34 PM
To be honest I have never experienced major lag.

Shanira
Oct 31, 2006, 05:51 PM
Well apparantly I am not the only one (http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?t=4626). And it's not because of being from europe either because someone from Germany reportedly gets no lag at all.

*sigh*

I guess I'll just putter around solo in the linear line hoping it randomly clears up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

segadrm10
Oct 31, 2006, 05:52 PM
is not bad but sometimes i see it for a sec but then it goes away here in the USA

Carlos21
Oct 31, 2006, 06:25 PM
How are you getting online if you live in EU?? I was under the impression that you couldent get online untill the release date (24 November) becasue the EU servers were not online yet??

What system are you playing on????

Shanira
Oct 31, 2006, 06:30 PM
On 2006-10-31 15:25, Carlos21 wrote:
How are you getting online if you live in EU?? I was under the impression that you couldent get online untill the release date (24 November) becasue the EU servers were not online yet??

What system are you playing on????
Um, I cheated like many other importers? I'm on PC and made an account under a US address from a friend's of mine. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Carlos21
Oct 31, 2006, 06:38 PM
you big cheat, lol

seems a little odd how EU players can only get online in this way?? im waiting to hear if the XBOX 360 version is region free and if EU players can access the servers, but i have not got my hopes up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Mikaga
Oct 31, 2006, 06:40 PM
I'm getting lag of 0.7 to 3 seconds, and it's driving me crazy.

Some of the laughable things caused by lag:

• If an enemy draws back to attack you, you can run away and you'll get hit. You can run BEHIND them and hit them twice and you'll get hit even though they're attacking the wrong way :/

• If you run into what you see as an enemy attack, you'll get hit.

(Which means if either the server OR your client detects a hit, you'll get hit. Thus technically we're EASIER to hit than people with less lag.)

• If you deal the killing blow to a monster, they can still hit you for a couple of seconds even after dying. WTF.

• You end up using wasted attacks and photon moves because the enemy takes a couple of seconds extra to show up as dead, thus the lag forces inefficiency and risk.

• You can try to tag a monster that is already dead, but like heck that'll ever work. Even after seeing yourself deal numbers, they can THEN show up as dead on your end and you won't get any reward for it.

• Should you get knocked down, you can't use a Monomate after getting up without a 1~2 second delay. During which you could have been knocked down again (Monomate fails) or simply killed.

• Wanna pick up items or meseta? LOL no way. They were taken a second or two before you SAW them.

---

I understand that server-side stuff was necessitated to block out hackers, but the network coding seems pretty abominable to me.

Tay200k
Oct 31, 2006, 06:40 PM
when i fist started playing i had a bit of lag but i sorted that by turning off steam and windows live messenger no i have hardley any lag what so ever and im in the uk

Shanira
Oct 31, 2006, 06:52 PM
Well, I tried 5 different universes, I tried doing a mission on parum as well as the colony. I shut down all non-vital processes and even ran the game in fullscreen mode to see if that was somehow connected to the lag I'm getting, but it's still there. So really, I'm out of ideas. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Mikaga: What you're describing is basically true. How I test it is with Rising Strike. If I hit something with it they'll go flying long after the animation has ended. In fact I've counted and it usually takes one second or more.

And as a hunter, that basically makes things unplayable because I can't afford the amount of mates I need to correct the amount of damage I'll inevitably get from lag. So I guess I can play as a ranger or ... not play at all, I suppose.

Really dissapointed, and I'm sure it's not my connection. Hell I've played on many US based servers for games and I sure as hell never had a second or more lag on those.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shanira on 2006-10-31 15:56 ]</font>

Shanira
Oct 31, 2006, 08:30 PM
I tried to figure out what I was connecting to and as near as I can tell Gameguard basically messes with any attempt to try and figure out where the servers are so one can do a traceroute and actually get some idea of where this problem might be. For all we know there's a bad route somewhere.

Of course, thanks to Gameguard, I can't figure it out, I'm not quite that savvy. Anyone else want to have a go at figuring out where the servers are coming from for a traceroute?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shanira on 2006-10-31 17:31 ]</font>

Zaft
Oct 31, 2006, 08:34 PM
So far I havn't gotten any lag in PSU (I'm on PC version, NA).

Shanira
Oct 31, 2006, 09:47 PM
Well, maybe I'm just too critical. Hence I made a video of the lag in question, to illustrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR163KErJd0

Really hoping this will get randomly fixed by SEGA. Or am I really just too critical and delays like this happen to everyone?

McLaughlin
Oct 31, 2006, 09:54 PM
At least they actually fly >_>

If my connection hates me (which is rarely) they won't even move until AFTER they take a bite outta me, if they move at all >_<

Hajile
Oct 31, 2006, 09:56 PM
I thought it was gunna be a another one of those lobby vids of people warping around , from what i saw in your demo it's very minimal , like you attacked and it to took a couple milliseconds to registar but I barely noticed.

Just think of it as dramatic crictical hits ;p

Diablohead
Oct 31, 2006, 10:00 PM
Lag has been fine here so far, movement is a bit stuttery in towns but ingame seems pretty good.

Ryan407
Oct 31, 2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah its probably cuz ur a euro, I wish they would segerate the servers to US only or euros only, but I doubt that will be happening. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Shanira
Oct 31, 2006, 10:03 PM
On 2006-10-31 18:56, Hajile wrote:
I thought it was gunna be a another one of those lobby vids of people warping around , from what i saw in your demo it's very minimal , like you attacked and it to took a couple milliseconds to registar but I barely noticed.

Well I timed the amount of frames in my video editing program and as it's running at 30 fps I come up to about 900-1000 ms lag.

Remember the first numbers are supposed to come up on the first slice, not the second, and they're supposed to go flying when the second slice reaches its pinnacle at the latest (so it might be over a second lag really) and they don't until much later.

Maybe I'm spoiled, if someone gets 200 ms ping in WoW they burst a capilary. (and with good reason, I find)

On 2006-10-31 19:00, Ryan407 wrote:
Yeah its probably cuz ur a euro, I wish they would segerate the servers to US only or euros only, but I doubt that will be happening. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
Considering people have posted in several threads I've found on the SEGA forums, many from the US themselves, I'm thinking this is a problem on SEGA's side.

Or at the very least there's a big problem with the routing of whatever company provides SEGA the backbone it runs on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shanira on 2006-10-31 19:05 ]</font>

Mikaga
Oct 31, 2006, 10:04 PM
Doesn't seem critical in the slightest.

The range of things you can do as a Hunter (if not other classes) is sharply narrowed by these delays. Even with the added capabilities (photon arts, strafing, lock that allows you to change direction mid-atttack), many people with this much lag are finding their capabilities are actually worse than in Phantasy Star Online DCv1.

Ryan407
Oct 31, 2006, 10:24 PM
On 2006-10-31 19:03, Shanira wrote:

On 2006-10-31 18:56, Hajile wrote:

Well I timed the amount of frames in my video editing program and as it's running at 30 fps I come up to about 900-1000 ms lag.

Remember the first numbers are supposed to come up on the first slice, not the second, and they're supposed to go flying when the second slice reaches its pinnacle at the latest (so it might be over a second lag really) and they don't until much later.

Maybe I'm spoiled, if someone gets 200 ms ping in WoW they burst a capilary. (and with good reason, I find)

On 2006-10-31 19:00, Ryan407 wrote:
Considering people have posted in several threads I've found on the SEGA forums, many from the US themselves, I'm thinking this is a problem on SEGA's side.

Or at the very least there's a big problem with the routing of whatever company provides SEGA the backbone it runs on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shanira on 2006-10-31 19:05 ]</font>
well Im not sure exactly what the problem is, but I know it doesnt help when peeps with 15o+ pings come over and play in US servers.

Shanira
Oct 31, 2006, 10:39 PM
well Im not sure exactly what the problem is, but I know it doesnt help when peeps with 15o+ pings come over and play in US servers.
As someone who has been programming for about a decade, I can say that it doesn't matter if a european with a 14k4 dialup plays on a US server. That's because PSU is a client/server based game which means that lag only affects that one client, and cannot affect others around them. For wholesale lag the server itself would have to be lagging, which would again be no fault of anyone with a bad connection.

Though it is true for peer to peer games. Why is it true for peer to peer games? Because in those games everyone counts as a server, thus the cluster of players, or the cluster of servers, is only as fast as the lowest common denominator connection.

True for a game like Starcraft (peer to peer), not true for a game like PSU (client/server)

Ryan407
Oct 31, 2006, 10:48 PM
Ok cool... I still would like to see sega segregate the servers.

Killuminati
Oct 31, 2006, 11:44 PM
Yeah I experience lag especially in the Sleeping Warriors C mission.

Mikaga
Nov 1, 2006, 01:16 AM
In Sleeping Warriors it's just that much more noticeable due to the speed at which the humanoid enemies can jump backwards and forwards to attack.

People with delayed connections have no chance with those critters.

myserysyn
Nov 1, 2006, 01:28 AM
I'm having a really bad problem with lag. If I'm in a party, say with three other people, and we all move straight at the same time... I end up behind. Really, really behind. It's pretty aggrivating when I'm trying to have fun, and when I finally catch up everything is already dead and I miss out on the experience. I don't know if it's my connection because my brother lives about two blocks away and he's fine, so I'm thinking it's my pc. Anyone have any suggestions? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Shanira
Nov 1, 2006, 11:45 AM
On 2006-10-31 22:28, myserysyn wrote:
I'm having a really bad problem with lag. If I'm in a party, say with three other people, and we all move straight at the same time... I end up behind. Really, really behind. It's pretty aggrivating when I'm trying to have fun, and when I finally catch up everything is already dead and I miss out on the experience. I don't know if it's my connection because my brother lives about two blocks away and he's fine, so I'm thinking it's my pc. Anyone have any suggestions? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Try setting frameskip higher and see if that solves it. This doesn't sound like net lag, just that your graphical settings are too high so your gameplay is slowing down. Why? Because silly PSU doesn't have an auto frameskip adjust for lower machines.

Which means if you're running at 30 fps with frameskip 0 you're only moving at half speed.

At least, that's what it sounds like to me. Try with frameskip 1, 2 or maybe even 3.

myserysyn
Nov 1, 2006, 09:11 PM
It was set at 1, so I changed it to 3, and cut the detail in half and it's running SO much faster! Thanks a lot!