PDA

View Full Version : Why won't you talk to me? :(

HatMaster
Oct 31, 2006, 08:07 PM
I've noticed an odd thing occurring recently, that may or may not just be a product of more people getting the game.

Now, when I first got the game a week ago, EVERY party I joined, whether it was a random group of people or not, had people just...chatting. Not talking about strategy, but making jokes and hitting on the female casts and general silliness like that. It made the missions more fun, and it didn't slow us down any since...well...even with the keyboard, it doesn't.

If you have ever played with me online, you know that I find it necessary to make a joke about SOMETHING (and to call something 'sexy' at least once during the run). So it kills me when I join parties and people don't talk at all. Just run through, kill things and repeat. I'm thankful for the people who I party with on a semi-regular basis (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) because they keep things nice and light, even when my frail Newman body is getting stomped on by a dragon.

So, is it just me, or do most people just...not talk unless they're partying with friends?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HatMaster on 2006-10-31 17:08 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Oct 31, 2006, 08:13 PM
Everytime I join a party, when I say something the leader and everyone else fucking spam their Ventrillo and TeamSpeak info as if they want me on that and not to type. I'm on PS2 and choose to use my 56" TV in my living room, and not my 13" tv in my bedroom by my computer.

It's fun when people do speak with text though. It's very fun.

Maxurion
Oct 31, 2006, 08:14 PM
Well, if you're on 360 or PS2 then they probably don't even have a keyboard...

And if you're on PC... uh... people are lazy? o.O

Garnet_Moon
Oct 31, 2006, 08:16 PM
My logitech USB Keyboard/Controller gets no love. Not many talkers in parties. ; ;

Kano-Okami
Oct 31, 2006, 08:17 PM
I know what you mean..
While I've yet to experience it with psu (because I'm not online yet >_<) I hate it too when people don't talk.
I was the same way on PSO,where if your not shootin' the breeze its just not fun.
Banter keeps things interesting, and challenging.
(especially with trash-talkers around a boss xD)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2006-10-31 17:21 ]</font>

ChocoboChad
Oct 31, 2006, 08:17 PM
I agree. I wouldn't play this game without the people. When they don't talk, it's almost like playing with NPC's.

Kano-Okami
Oct 31, 2006, 08:22 PM
On 2006-10-31 17:17, ChocoboChad wrote:
I agree. I wouldn't play this game without the people. When they don't talk, it's almost like playing with NPC's.

Worse.
NPCs don't Exp hog and take the good items.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 31, 2006, 08:23 PM
I've never had a problem with this, then again, most of the games have been with people I know, and the conversation consists of loling over PSOBB shit or shouting ":OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when someone finds a [B] Scape Doll.

ChocoboChad
Oct 31, 2006, 08:27 PM
On 2006-10-31 17:22, Kano-Okami wrote:

Worse.

Ahahah. Maybe so. Usually, I just play on ordered distibution.

Kano, did you play PSO on gamecube? You probably won't remember me because you have "the memory of a goldfish" -you.

My characters were... Chad, Anna, Zoey, and Persephone. Sorry if you're not the one I'm thinking of.

Kano-Okami
Oct 31, 2006, 08:34 PM
On 2006-10-31 17:27, ChocoboChad wrote:

On 2006-10-31 17:22, Kano-Okami wrote:

Worse.

Ahahah. Maybe so. Usually, I just play on ordered distibution.

Kano, did you play PSO on gamecube? You probably won't remember me because you have "the memory of a goldfish" -you.

My characters were... Chad, Anna, Zoey, and Persephone. Sorry if you're not the one I'm thinking of.

O__O OMG,I DID! AND I DO REMEMBER YOU!

But back on topic, I do recommend doing Ordered or random distributions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2006-10-31 17:37 ]</font>

HolyWizard
Oct 31, 2006, 08:48 PM
I usually don't chat too much, but I do give a "hello" every time I join a team or someone else joins. I don't make it a point to make conversation, but I'm no machine. When something weird or funny happens I usually make note of it. I try to be "real" I guess. What does bother me is when I ask a question and I'm ignored(we're not battling at the time) as in someone doesn't have the time to type a simple answer out. That I consider rude.

HolyWizard
Oct 31, 2006, 08:48 PM
I usually don't chat too much, but I do give a "hello" every time I join a team or someone else joins. I don't make it a point to make conversation, but I'm no machine. When something weird or funny happens I usually make note of it. I try to be "real" I guess. What does bother me is when I ask a question and I'm ignored(we're not battling at the time) as in someone doesn't have the time to type a simple answer out. That I consider rude.

jimmer411
Oct 31, 2006, 08:51 PM
its hard to talk and fight at the same time when there is so much going on and your using a controller and keyboard combo.

i refuse to do the teamspeak thing. my brother is into that and i just dont care to hear a bunch of underage kids talk.

merrycherry9
Oct 31, 2006, 09:01 PM
Ya whts with tht...if people dont talk i get all nervous and feel all awkward http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif ive had tht happen to me almost everytime i play so far.

Diablohead
Oct 31, 2006, 09:03 PM
Internet is serious business... most of the time.

It's a shame when people lose the fun side of a game and start to grind 100%, something im avoiding in psu.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 31, 2006, 09:28 PM
my parties are often nosiya dn comedic, partly due to msyelf >.>

Nukei
Oct 31, 2006, 09:42 PM
Most of my parties that I join talk about strateg, not dying, reviving, all the game stuff, sometimes jokes, but usually everyone competes against each other for exp so I do not talk much during missions T.T D: http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Elleranda
Oct 31, 2006, 10:14 PM
If you ever see The Photon Lamps in the party list, the password is 1337. We're a fun and good group to play with and we'd have you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

FenixStryk
Oct 31, 2006, 10:33 PM
Because you touc yourself at night. ;p
Seriously, though, it has to do with people a) having connection problems, b) having bad mic experiences, or c) being total douchebags. It's kind of annoying since the voice chat is in the frikkin' game, but you're gonna have to suck it up like I did.
I actually never booted someone for not talking. ;-;

patient
Nov 1, 2006, 01:11 AM
I find it hard to type and play in PSU mostly becuase everytime I stop to type people are fighting over crates.

Larian
Nov 1, 2006, 03:33 AM
I spent $70 on my official PSU wireless keyboard. I'll be damned if I don't use it! =P

Valius
Nov 1, 2006, 04:14 AM
I'm personally not good with new people, so it takes me a bit to get comfortable enough to chat casually. I'd imagine there are probably a few people like me.

DMG
Nov 1, 2006, 08:28 AM
I usually can't play without cracking some jokes, pranks or just generally trying to lighten the mood somehow in between fights. I've even set macros to assist this cause. I've me some really great people this way and then I'm on some teams that are as exciting as a dry sponge.

If there is one thing that I miss from PSO it's that people were much more active there. I guess PSU is serious business to some. /shrug

_Deliverance_
Nov 1, 2006, 08:36 AM
I find it easier in PSU to chat via text. Reaching over to hit the "speak" button when on Ventrilo is a pain in the ass when in the midst of a fight.
I play on ps2 so it's just easier to stay facing the TV.

Mystil
Nov 1, 2006, 08:47 AM
I don't talk now cause I don't have a USB keyboard. A couple of friendly people have wanted to talk to me and it was a real pain trying to get reused to using the softkeypad. But generally I'm quiet because I'm shy like that. The don't talk in games though is a common thing. Those are porbably players who concentrate better at what they are doing when not talking.

CherryLunar
Nov 1, 2006, 09:09 AM
I stopped talking on Sunday. Thats mostly cause my PC controller broke and I've been keyboardless on PS2 ever since. I moved at the begining of the summer and I havent seen my PS2's keyboard since I was back in Miami. I've been trying to look for it but it doesnt help that my dad puts planks of wood over my unopened boxes.

Jiga
Nov 1, 2006, 09:13 AM
stop replying to this post, if you don't pay full attention you are going to cost someone an S-Rank! *sarcasm*

Cerulean
Nov 1, 2006, 09:48 AM
I've noticed the better teams I've been in (where we get s-ranks AND people are fun to chat with) there are two main ingredients:

a) mature players (can be mature for their age if they're young) who like to joke around but are overall polite

and

b) set common items to Order and rare items to Random

That takes all the 'business' out of the runs, since people can relax about items and just focus on battling and having fun with each other.

I've been in a lot of 'silent' teams and they are almost always with loot set to Finders.

When I've met really high quality people that are fun to battle AND chat with its been Order/Random.

Just my experience so far.

bunnysama
Nov 1, 2006, 11:25 AM
I usually spend alot of my time fumbling through my pallette looking for a weapon(I have alot of elemental weaps and try to use them to my advantage). Fast paced games like this need voice chat to be smooth, but there are F-tards out there that would ruin that. I try to stick to playing with people that gave me their card and after I meet up with some PSO-world people I'll try to stick to them.

BlueFire2k5
Nov 1, 2006, 12:19 PM
On 2006-11-01 01:14, Valius wrote:
I'm personally not good with new people, so it takes me a bit to get comfortable enough to chat casually. I'd imagine there are probably a few people like me.

That's basically me.

Also, I don't have a USB keyboard at college yet, so I usually will use the preset "Hello" and "Congratulations" and whatnot when something happens. However, I plan on buying a keyboard and using it until Sega fixes the problem with voice chat on the 360.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueFire2k5 on 2006-11-01 09:20 ]</font>

Nagidar
Nov 1, 2006, 12:55 PM
If its just a casual party, I like chatting and just having a good time, when its a continuous set of runs for MP's, I, and usually the rest of the PT, keep the chatting to a minimum and just take care of business.

newbieroadkil
Nov 1, 2006, 01:30 PM
I play on the PC with a 360 controller. I've bound my vent talk key to pressing down the left analog stick, which is much easier than typing.

I'm also trying to learn how to line up AoE's and time spells better on my force, so switching to a keyboard is too much for me at times.

As people has stated, random rares and ordered regular items are essencial for parties to contain more (or many cases any) conversation. It's the only types of parties I will join/make now.

chibiLegolas
Nov 1, 2006, 01:52 PM
This is why I can't play without my mic anymore. PSO was already fun on the DC. But PSOX with voicechat just ups the gameplay even more for me.
It's great just hang'n out with fellow gamers and meeting all kinds of ppl online, friends and strangers alike.
And I too like to trash talk the enemies and bosses online. I find it satisfying at the end of a long day.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Merumeru
Nov 1, 2006, 02:05 PM
XD i TRY talking but everyones always so busy, but normally 1/5 people is nice :3

MilkManX
Nov 1, 2006, 02:09 PM
I would love to talk to you. For some reason my voice is broken in PSU only. I can hear 99% of people but no one can hear me. I have tried everything and it worked fine on the BETA.

Akaimizu
Nov 1, 2006, 02:16 PM
I don't vocally talk much yet but that's mainly because I wasn't exactly too careful in storing my mike. The wire got stripped so it cuts in and out too much. Then again, I think I've had it with any and all headphones with small headphone type thin wires. Just like headphones, stripped wires kill it.

It's my main reason for me looking forward to the wireless. Otherwise, I wouldn't care much for it. At the moment, I'm plenty fast with the keyboard and really enjoy the cut-in-chat. At the moment, I have voices playing through speakers so I can *hear* almost everybody.

As for the keyboard. Oh boy do I talk. If anybody here sees Tynselle Nbareh on the 360 servers, give me a yell. It's completely in-character for Tynselle to trash-talk monsters like there's no tomorrow. I do however, try to keep the chatter down a bit because I'm always thinking that too much just clutters the screen. Still, you'll find me throwing some comments around, even around fighting.

IMO, they did a good job allowing you to type a little bit in between moments, and continue typing stuff without taking your controls away from you. That way, I stay effective in running around, even as I type.

However, sometimes we're running around and killing things real quick, which gives me little time to just talk, via keyboard. So I tend to get a bit more silent when things stay hectic for a time, and I just can't afford to chatter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-11-01 11:23 ]</font>

Cause_I_Own_U
Nov 1, 2006, 03:28 PM
People are so high lvl now that they are just burning through the missions so fast that if you stop and try to talk you get no exp because a couple guys will go and 4 shot the mobs in your mission and you wont get exp, ive noticed people talk more when doing appropriate lvl missions when everyone has time to tag a mob and it goes a bit slower

Plus keep in mind the time trial, if you dont finish a mission quickly enough you might get A rank instead of S rank

Akaimizu
Nov 1, 2006, 03:36 PM
True. But the time is rather relaxed, online. In fact, I don't really see it as a factor online. It's mainly two things, % of monsters killed on the level and Number of Incapacitations. You never really have to rush through anything.

bunnysama
Nov 1, 2006, 03:37 PM
does PSO-World have an offical vent server yet, or is there plans to set one up? it would be nice for those of us that use this board to be able to chat and organize that way

JaiBlue
Nov 1, 2006, 03:54 PM
Theres plenty of time to talk after the mission, if you wish to talk do so, but don't expect a word from me. I won't jepordize my s rank because I decided to have a chit chat.

Saito S
Nov 1, 2006, 04:39 PM
I spent $70 on my official PSU wireless keyboard. I'll be damned if I don't use it! =P

Eh? There's an official PSU wireless keyboard!? Hey Larian, for what version? And where did you get it? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Personally I think SOME chatter is definately a good thing. Now, if there is a huge horde of monsters and the entire party is struggling to stay alive, I don't expect much then, nor will I be typing much myself. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif But between battles or when things are more contained, talk away. The people that I played with the most on PSO GC were generally talkers...heh
One thing that really helps (I think someone else mentioned it too) is to actually use the shortcuts for more than just the preset crap like "Yes" or "Help!". Change some of them to things you might say a lot, or a silly thing to say after someone gains a level, or whatever. Saves you some typing time without completely sacrificing the ability to say something quickly.