PDA

View Full Version : More FFXI players than expected

RamenEater
Nov 1, 2006, 05:08 AM
Every party i've joined, and i've joined a bunch, there has been at least 1 FFXI player in there. Which to me it pretty insane. It feels like 80% of the PSU population were/are FFXI players.

Wonder how SE is feeling this.

lolichan
Nov 1, 2006, 05:21 AM
SE can eat a dick

Rhyv
Nov 1, 2006, 05:50 AM
thats because the players of FFXI have realized that FFXI is more of a second job then an actual game, atleast when i played it like 6 months ago thats wat it felt like

gimbola
Nov 1, 2006, 06:15 AM
i remember wen i played FFXI i wasplaying RDM ( redmage ) and that was a high demand job... i could be waiting 1-2 hours for a party and then once your in it you do the same thing for like 10 hours just to get 1 level up :S

when you start to get to around lv 70 ( i quit at 69RDM) your looking at like 12-24 hours per level up wen all your doin is pressing ctrl+1 ctrl+2 ctrl+3 over and over again *yawn*

thats my take on FFXI now anyway http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

_Deliverance_
Nov 1, 2006, 07:21 AM
On 2006-11-01 02:50, Rhyv wrote:
thats because the players of FFXI have realized that FFXI is more of a second job then an actual game, atleast when i played it like 6 months ago thats wat it felt like

SE can eat a dick.

That about sums up my response.

Tystys
Nov 1, 2006, 07:41 AM
It's also because of the fact that in essence, FFXI is an old ass game(considering our "aging" standards now as gamers, lol).

And people want to try out new experiences. Hey, alot of them may have loved the game to the very last second, they just wanted to try something fresh.

It's not ALWAYS "I hate FFXI so I'm switching to PSU"

Now, when alot of people switch from WoW to PSU....than I'll be like http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

DMG
Nov 1, 2006, 08:07 AM
thats because the players of FFXI have realized that FFXI is more of a second job then an actual game

SE can eat a dick.

Ditto.

Mystil
Nov 1, 2006, 08:22 AM
On 2006-11-01 02:08, RamenEater wrote:
Every party i've joined, and i've joined a bunch, there has been at least 1 FFXI player in there. Which to me it pretty insane. It feels like 80% of the PSU population were/are FFXI players.

Because FFXI is a poorly managed fucking game! The game is also ruined by RMT players and endgame is home to the most brutally selfish people in the entire galaxy. Not to mention FFXI is entirely TOO TIME demanding. Either you go casual which you want progress hardly at all with this route, or kiss many years of your life goodbye. To touch on how long it takes to level:

-Get coffee. Lots of coffee, cause you're GOING to get bored.
-It better be your day off from work.
-Hope it's not at night so you can get some decent sleep.
-Hope it's not one those parties that net only 2000xp/hr.

The noobish players who don't wont to learn thier jobs, and some idiot players who intentionally screw up in good parties because it 'bore' them. The word 'friend' is slung around like some item you can buy a thrift shop. When your 'friends' are done using you, you're dump out in an ally somewhere waiting for some poor Savanna Rarab to come and keep you company.

I hate the auction house!! When one item is last on the list sure enough you will pay x5 more than going price. I don't care about supply/demand. That means nothing in this game. The biggest more demoralizing issue in this game is getting help with stuff. If it's not to take down Kirin, or Genbu, you may as well BEG for help. When I wanted to do my kazham keys, some 69RDM says she's bored and wants to help someone who needs it. So of course I took up on that offer. However she flipped the damn script and tells me to go BUY the kazham pass. How the HELL can a level 24 possible make 148,000!? And why buy an item that can be quested??? G1..do I need to get into this? People can shout for hours trying to get passed lvl50. I'm sorry but I can't help but get angry about this game. Honest players suffer a lot in the game and it's not fair.

Linkshells for the most part were the decent part of the community. Excluding HNMLS of course, those vary.

I myself, a former level 70WHM dropped that game like a bad habit when PSU came out. I do not know which is worst. Depression or FFXI.

I wont get into SE. It's not thier fault. They try, and they get no credit for it. When they don't give all the whiny babies who want to be god modded thier food, they piss on SE like the unappreciated bastards that they are. BUT ALWAYS, PSany version > FFXI.

/end disgrunted FFXI player rant.

And the FFXI players who jumped ship know this doesn't apply to them. And if this is thier first time in the environment of PS, I assure you - you wont be miserable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2006-11-01 05:39 ]</font>

Rattetsu
Nov 1, 2006, 08:22 AM
Its because of the anime people who played original Phantasy stars joined ffxi with its anime feal to it and know theres a new phantasy star then people who whant a faster paced game than ffxi but whant the same feal of it (unike wows D&D thing) switch to PSU.

_Deliverance_
Nov 1, 2006, 08:40 AM
<3 Boondock Saints <3

"Hey fuckass! Get me a beer!" rofl

Polenicus
Nov 1, 2006, 08:42 AM
I'm currently actually straddling the games. I have developed something of a distaste for the grind FFXI forces you in to, but I've also got a really great Linkshell, and I LIKE doing stuff with them, so for that I think i'll keep at it for now.

But so far PSU is pure love. Nothing like being able to log on and just jump into a game and kill things for a while.

Jiga
Nov 1, 2006, 08:56 AM
DM4LIFE

I logged over a year of my life into FFXI. No comment on it. I was currently playing WoW when PSU came out, I knew I would be selling my soul back to ST when it came out. Cancelled WoW day 1.

Tanizaki
Nov 1, 2006, 10:16 AM
Rameneater. are you the ramen from diabolos? >:D

A-Town
Nov 1, 2006, 10:25 AM
The grind in FFXI was simply way too hard, i got to level 30 in Thf and Rng and some subjobs to lvl 18 and thats nowhere, but i still felt like i played the game to death. Just way too time consuming and boring after only getting not even half way to endgame level

Jaylix
Nov 1, 2006, 10:40 AM
On 2006-11-01 05:07, DMG wrote:

thats because the players of FFXI have realized that FFXI is more of a second job then an actual game

SE can eat a dick.

Ditto.

Double Ditto. Screw SE.

DreamLocke
Nov 1, 2006, 10:45 AM
I was a level 14 elvaan warrior (valefor). It was fun for a while soloing, got into a nice linkshell and it was cool. Then I got to level 10...time to get a subjob!

Yeah. My linkshell inexplicably broke up, and I would sit there for long periods of time trying to get a party going. Without a party, you were useless. Unless you were a beastmaster, but guess what? You need a party to get that job quest. So....quit and hoped PSU was coming soon.

McLaughlin
Nov 1, 2006, 11:04 AM
I quit FFXI a few months ago, when school started. RDM 75, PLD 75, NIN 37, BLM 37 and WAR 37.

I solo'd 80% of the time. No one wants a RDM before level 40, or at level 75. And I gave up with PLD at 75 because no one wants them for Dynamis runs, which prevented me from getting my AF2 gear.

Pretty much all I did the last month of play was revive people and save people >_> Mostly in the Dunes -_-" It's fun killing things and getting ABSOLUTELY NO REWARD. That's probably the worst thing about the game. Having to kill things 3 times your level to gain any exp at all.

I also found it amusing when people saw my RDM/NIN melee-ing. They'd laugh because "I'm not supposed to melee." Then I'd kill every mob in the area before they were done with one.

I can say with confidence that I hate FFXI. Square Enix can kiss my ass.

Genya
Nov 1, 2006, 11:39 AM
I've played FFXI for 3 years, I'm taking a break for PSU however, since PSO was my first love. Alot of your complaints about FFXI are definatly from the point of view of the inexperienced player, but I understand, unless you put the time in, you can't get to where I'm at. Without endgame content, the game is tedious.

Hell, even leading a HNM LS is a high demand/second job due to managing people, having scheudles, time consuming events....but the sense of accomplishment can't be beaten by PSO/U due to all of this. A successful HNM LS is hard to beat, you are pretty much on top of the gaming world, and in FFXI that is saying alot.

PSO/U so far has taken me alot of time to get back into due to the outdated interface/chat and old school hack and slash. But it grows on me more and more, afterall PSO is one of my top 10 favorite games ever. You can't beat the pick up and play of PSU, and that's why I am back. It is a nice change, I feel like a free man again lol.

Jiga
Nov 1, 2006, 11:45 AM
Genya, I logged over 400 days into FFXI. I find few inaccuracies in this topic. Nothing wrong with people not liking FFXI for the reasons they stated. Catching on to it can be difficult. Finding help can be difficult. Getting to Genya status is only dreamable for 99% of the players. I doubt the majority of gamers buy a game wanting it to be a second job. Glad you are liking PSU and enjoying the freedom.

Yoruichi201
Nov 1, 2006, 11:50 AM
I wasted so much of my time on FFXI. Even with my Mithra SMN (70) and SAM (75), i got so bored waiting for a party to pop up. I harvested beastman blood and made a decent living that way, but it got so dull.

However, SE make good games (beside FFXI). They are not that bad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoruichi201 on 2006-11-01 08:56 ]</font>

Genya
Nov 1, 2006, 11:54 AM
On 2006-11-01 08:45, Jiga wrote:
Genya, I logged over 400 days into FFXI. I find few inaccuracies in this topic. Nothing wrong with people not liking FFXI for the reasons they stated. Catching on to it can be difficult. Finding help can be difficult. Getting to Genya status is only dreamable for 99% of the players. I doubt the majority of gamers buy a game wanting it to be a second job. Glad you are liking PSU and enjoying the freedom.

I agree, I didn't mean to come off defending FFXI as it was the best thing ever, because it's not. It does take alot of time to get into, and I had many times when I was fed up early on. You have to take week to month breaks in that game imo, no way I played 3 years 100% straight.

I merely wanted to point out a different perspective on the game, since most of the focus was on XPing, and that really is just 1 part of the game (which I understand, it is hard to ignore).

Basically, both games are good, for similar and very different reasons imo. W/o a good community, they both fail, and for me, that's what these games always come down to, the people.

Jaylix
Nov 1, 2006, 11:56 AM
On 2006-11-01 08:45, Jiga wrote:

Exactly. Just over 200 days playtime in ffxi for me.

Yoruichi201
Nov 1, 2006, 11:57 AM
nicely said, Genya

gimbola
Nov 1, 2006, 12:06 PM
ya know i can agree with Genya there,

you do get a nice feeling of success from playing these MMORPGS in a group through long events. i can say taht from my experiences with WoW my end game guild has recently started clearing through naxxamarus (the latest and most brutal dungeon) its pretty rewarding just to do somthing in a team environment. it doesnt need to be an mmorpg i get the same feeling from playing FPS games like battlefield 2 on XBox360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Fin
Nov 1, 2006, 12:51 PM
I made the mistake of playing bard as my first chara and caught up in hnmls's early on... without my non-hnmls friends... that dried up any sort of socializing/free time/enjoyment I had from the game. Add e-drama and stalkers to that and you can say that I started hating most males as well. I actually left ffxi for pso (and now psu) and haven't had a single regret.

Nagidar
Nov 1, 2006, 01:14 PM
600+ playing days in FFXI, 75DRK and 75THF, the game is extremely tedious end game, nothing like wasting hours in Sky camping Ulli just to watch the Gil Sellers nab him before he fucking spawns...

In all honesty, FFXI is going down the shitter and SE is flushing the toilet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nagidar on 2006-11-01 10:15 ]</font>

Suetto_Rai
Nov 1, 2006, 01:26 PM
On 2006-11-01 05:22, Silhouette wrote:

On 2006-11-01 02:08, RamenEater wrote:

Because FFXI is a poorly managed fucking game! The game is also ruined by RMT players and endgame is home to the most brutally selfish people in the entire galaxy. Not to mention FFXI is entirely TOO TIME demanding. Either you go casual which you want progress hardly at all with this route, or kiss many years of your life goodbye. To touch on how long it takes to level:

-Get coffee. Lots of coffee, cause you're GOING to get bored.
-It better be your day off from work.
-Hope it's not at night so you can get some decent sleep.
-Hope it's not one those parties that net only 2000xp/hr.

The noobish players who don't wont to learn thier jobs, and some idiot players who intentionally screw up in good parties because it 'bore' them. The word 'friend' is slung around like some item you can buy a thrift shop. When your 'friends' are done using you, you're dump out in an ally somewhere waiting for some poor Savanna Rarab to come and keep you company.

I hate the auction house!! When one item is last on the list sure enough you will pay x5 more than going price. I don't care about supply/demand. That means nothing in this game. The biggest more demoralizing issue in this game is getting help with stuff. If it's not to take down Kirin, or Genbu, you may as well BEG for help. When I wanted to do my kazham keys, some 69RDM says she's bored and wants to help someone who needs it. So of course I took up on that offer. However she flipped the damn script and tells me to go BUY the kazham pass. How the HELL can a level 24 possible make 148,000!? And why buy an item that can be quested??? G1..do I need to get into this? People can shout for hours trying to get passed lvl50. I'm sorry but I can't help but get angry about this game. Honest players suffer a lot in the game and it's not fair.

Linkshells for the most part were the decent part of the community. Excluding HNMLS of course, those vary.

I myself, a former level 70WHM dropped that game like a bad habit when PSU came out. I do not know which is worst. Depression or FFXI.

I wont get into SE. It's not thier fault. They try, and they get no credit for it. When they don't give all the whiny babies who want to be god modded thier food, they piss on SE like the unappreciated bastards that they are. BUT ALWAYS, PSany version > FFXI.

/end disgrunted FFXI player rant.

And the FFXI players who jumped ship know this doesn't apply to them. And if this is thier first time in the environment of PS, I assure you - you wont be miserable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2006-11-01 05:39 ]</font>

Wow uh..I kinda don't blame you there. I left about 2 Years ago, due to me being in college at the time and FFXI being way too demanding (I was at level 73 MNK when I retired). I checked with my friend not too long ago, and she told me that the community as a whole got spoiled from buying gil and expecting people to wear the absolute best in parties. Its kind of sad really, I remember having some great times on that game when I started off..but hey, things change with time..I'm just glad most of my former FFXI buddies are on PSU, and that once again I can play with them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Suetto_Rai on 2006-11-01 10:29 ]</font>

tyler2zelda
Nov 1, 2006, 01:35 PM
FFXI sucks ( | )

Nuff said. Too boring and everything.

AndrewLD16
Nov 1, 2006, 01:36 PM
I played FFXI for one month..... all i have to say is F that game. No one ever wanted to party, the economy was screwed to hell, and it took forever to level. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AndrewLD16 on 2006-11-01 10:38 ]</font>

klunka
Nov 1, 2006, 01:40 PM
On 2006-11-01 02:21, lolichan wrote:
SE can eat a dick

This couldn't have been said more eloquently. Masterfully put.

Trinacepti
Nov 1, 2006, 02:18 PM
That's because PSU is practically every thing I wanted in an online RPG.
The only thing they need to add is more content (which will happen), a hover board to fly around on, and umm... you know thats all I can think of.

Honestly I have longed for a game that had a seperate Character and Class level for so long. I wanted a game without 500 hours of traveling to various cities. I wanted an action game where your ability to play mattered. (You can beat a level 20 mob at level 5, unlike other games where you can barely beat a level 20 mob at 15 or even 20).

PSU is near perfection in online gaming for me.

Apathy
Nov 1, 2006, 02:31 PM
I agree, FFXI took up too much of my life ...

I would go to work, come home, get online to do a NM hunt, go to sleep. The next day: go work, come home, spend 3 hours trying to get 1 stinking level, go to sleep. Next day ....... yadda yadda. My life was eaten up by that game. I can play PSU in chunks and it is much more social for me.. Something I like. In the end it (FFXI) wasnt really fun, i just played to hang out with my friends. It was too much stress in the end, and once PSU came out, i quit FFXI ... I remembered my old Dreamcast PSO days and longed for the nostalgia. I must say PSU met my expectations, hopefully with time (and updates) it will exceed them.

Anyway back to my shop .. ^-^ <333

RamenEater
Nov 2, 2006, 05:05 PM
Yea its fact, PSU > FFXI

DizzyDi
Nov 2, 2006, 05:07 PM
FFXI is THAT bad of a game. I enjoyed it for the most part while it lasted. Partying was fun with a good setup. Doing missions with friends was good. The game just was too tedius becuase of waiting UMPTEEN fucking hours for a partying and because of the HYOOG dependancy on items and equipment.

_Deliverance_
Nov 4, 2006, 07:26 PM
There are so many reasons why FFXI is bad.
The economy is terrible. Raising a craft is a total chore. Once you get beyond 65, the exp is a LONG grind that quickly gets boring, because of the auto-attack/turn based play.

Job imbalances make other options look like garbage. 4 warriors, a bard and a redmage will out do almost any set up (this is 70+), and so if you are a different job, essentially you are getting gimp exp. The difference between 6k/hr and 13-20k/hr is enough to piss me off.

Then there is end game. SWEET, FAFNIR WINDOW IS UP! ::goes to camp and sits for a few hours, waiting for Faf to pop::

Screw that. Are you kidding me? Sit and wait for something to happen....really? Wow, SE really impressed me with the end game content...;>.>

I don't understand why people actually like it. I can appreciate the fact that getting your E.body/Ridill/Dalmatica or whatever is a BIG accomplishment. But when it takes that kind of time, it's not a game anymore. Plain. And. Simple.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Deliverance_ on 2006-11-04 16:28 ]</font>

Remedy
Nov 4, 2006, 07:27 PM
On 2006-11-01 04:41, Tystys wrote:
Now, when alot of people switch from WoW to PSU....than I'll be like http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gifI did. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

P_C_A
Nov 4, 2006, 07:47 PM
I finally realized how much of a waste of time FFXI really was (75SAM 75DRG...goddamn you DRG...). out of the 3 years i played, 1 year was spent LFG (on DRG of course). i recently cancelled my account on playonline about a month before this game came out, and i'm glad i did. no more 20+ hr LFG, and no more HNMs, yay!

Although leaving my LS, who pretty much were like my family, was kinda hard, but it'll pass. I think some of the LS members also went to PSU...(/think)