PDA

View Full Version : Soloing De Ragan as a force?

KirinDave
Nov 1, 2006, 02:02 PM
I'm level 12, L2 Force. But I have a real problem soloing De Ragan. I have a 5x ground 3 star staff which means my Diga hits the dragon for about 210, but I'm concerned I'm not doing enough damage

Can someone give me some advice?

AngelLight
Nov 1, 2006, 02:11 PM
I soloed him at 15, I've known ppl solo him at 13 however.....

Best thing to do is make sure you have a reasonable buffer on hp. His homing shot does roughly 200 dmg against a force (with no resist modifiers). Try to make sure you have at least a good buffer range of HP above 200 or you'll have no chance of beating him (or have some really good armor with a nice fire resist modifier). Outside of that, I just strafed him with a diga (same element) wand and made sure to back off when it looked like he was going to do his shockwave attack and paid attention to the telltale sound he makes when he's going to do a tail whip. IMO the fight is all about mobility when you're soloing him as a force.

At the time, my diga was doing 180-240 normal dmg to the main body...crits for 280-325. Also, I used my bow when It was safe to shoot him from the air (that was doing 60-75 dmg per hit in the air to the main body, ice modified with the defacto 19% dmg modifier that comes from the Reisei-sou art (ice arrows)). I'd maybe get 6 or 7 shots off before he'd move to breath fire somewhere else. Just watch his pattern and keep the damage coming out (oh and keep healing yourself if you ever get hit).

Numnuttz
Nov 1, 2006, 02:17 PM
soloing him is very do able. i started soloing him at what 10 i think. i had the top C rank staff too only. it just tooke me awhile. when he fires his fireball just go to the rock mounds and hide behind them. they will take teh hit and you get no dmg. thatn just keep moving after words spamming diga on him. i noticed by the time my staff reach 200 something left of PP thats when he would die. hope this helps ya

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Numnuttz on 2006-11-01 11:24 ]</font>

Talin
Nov 1, 2006, 02:43 PM
While soloing De Ragan even at level 18 takes a while (Diga's doesn't cast quickly, and you have to stay mobile to avoid attacks), the same tactics apply down to level 10.

You CAN solo him, but I wonder - why would you want to?

The experience/hour you will generate going through the two Parum quests to get to him (Mad Creatures and Forest Overlord) on Rank C will take you quite a while at level 12, especially killing the boss. The benefit is obviously that you will always get xp from kills (no need to worry about tagging or killing blow xp), and all drops are yours. However, I've found that running the Forest Overlord over and over with a reasonably competant group will net you far more experience points in the same time, and if you get S rank, more money/mission points (700 Meseta and 7 or 8 MPs - I forget). Plus, you have a chance at making friedns with othr characters.

Not that I'm saying soloing is bad, but to get the most out of your soloing time it is better to do lower level content than higher level. You could probably do "Fight for Food" 5 times in the same time it takes to do "forest Overlord" solo at level 12, netting more overall rewards for lower risk.

WolfDreamer
Nov 1, 2006, 02:44 PM
Solo'ing De Ragan is a bit time consuming when you're a sub-15 character, but lemme tell ya, it sure does get your Technic skills up quick!

Yoiyami
Nov 1, 2006, 02:46 PM
I solo'd De Ragen at level 10 as a force with nothing but Foie and a few monomates. It's really not that difficult, it just takes patience. ^_^

Evolution
Nov 1, 2006, 02:47 PM
I havn't soloed DE Ragan in the retail but in the beta I was able to beat him with my level 9 force.. even though I wasn't doing much damage and it took me a good 15-20 mins to do it, its very do-able as a force, I also managed to avoid all of his attacks.