PDA

View Full Version : making money using the shop

bleyzwun
Nov 1, 2006, 04:29 PM
I dont know if this should be in the gameplay section, but here it goes...

How are you guys making money using the store? I chose to save money to open shop instead of weapons. I have been having a hard time selling things unless they are REAL cheap. I've been looking at the NPC pricing and setting items for half the NPC price. For some reason people won't buy most of the things I'm selling. Should I be selling things cheaper than half off? Also how do you guys figure out how to price things NPCs dont have (or maybe they do... I didnt check every planet's NPCs)?

Also are shops connected on all universes or is your shop only available on the server youre on?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bleyzwun on 2006-11-01 13:31 ]</font>

Percival
Nov 1, 2006, 04:33 PM
Quick hint. You probably won't be able to sell things you wouldn't buy yourself (Thinking of mate and *aride grinders here as an expample). Also, if you have a lot of something to sell, chances are other players also have enough of it.

Shops are mostly good to sell your obsolete armors and weapons for a good price. They're also good for selling synthed weapons. Just my humble opinion.

On a related note, is this happening to anybody else:

"You have some synth ingredients to sell, you spend half an hour browsing other stores to figure out a good price. When you are finally settled on a selling price you realize that you would have made double that amount by spending that half hour in the field instead." http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Happened to me a lot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Percival on 2006-11-01 13:39 ]</font>

MaKaVeLi_X
Nov 1, 2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah... My shop has things extra low, Today a I had a huge Amount of buying customers compared to yesterday and all I did was lower prices a little.

Remedy
Nov 1, 2006, 04:40 PM
Nanosilica
Nanocarbon
Moon Atomizer X
Tear of Light

My four-step process to mass money from my shop.

Tornasu
Nov 1, 2006, 04:47 PM
People are still learning how to use the game. Maybe people hasn't bought stuff before they dont know how to use the shop option. See... im speaking from experience... i just found out that i can buy stuff!!!!
I shouldn't of skip the training =(

Apathy
Nov 1, 2006, 04:59 PM
It depends on how much time you want to put into your shop.

Being a Merchant and being a Gaurdian are two different things in the end. You can be both, but the goals are different. One would rather Kill monsters, do missions, and get the rare drops. Can you imagine yourself actually selling that shiny new rare sword that just dropped? or would you rather be using it? A Merchant seeks adventure too, but our goal is to also make that big score. And the only way you are going to be able to sell that "big score" is if you establish yourself with the basics. I could go into a lecture about economics and sales, but then I would be boring you and scaring myself.

However here are my suggestions, or rather, what I am doing In my shop. I lead by example ya know.

1) I dont just sell "Base" Weapons, go out and grind them too, its okay to charge an extra "hazard fee" on these weapons, they COULD break you know. But it also keeps your arsenal unique. I rarely sell base level weaponry.

2) Yes medicines are good "Fluff" Items if you sell them cheap. However you wont be getting rich off of them. Often times you will be eating them up yourself.

3) I keep improving my Personal Machinery and keep synthing with her. People can actually look at what "she" has made recently. And this does well to suggest the services I can provide, or what may be in my shop more often at a future date.

4) If you make a gut check you will know if you are undercutting, or ripping someone off. Stay honest and the business will come. People can smell a rat a mile away, and you dont want a "that jerk" reputation.

5) Whenever possible farm your materials, that way it is a 100% profit (if you are a crafter). Sometimes a weapon drops too, up to you if you sell that... I like to call it salvaging.

Other than that .. the rest is just Toppings and Fluff. Ive decorated my room so its not the same color as everyone elses. I also do research by visiting other peoples shops. Sometimes, afterwards, I will sell lower, and other times I will keep my prices where I see as fair. My farming experiences are much different from theirs after all, until i get a certain surpluss of materials, my prices dont drop. I also synth in my room and chat with people occasionaly, taking thier suggestions. I try to build a rapport, not just try to take their money. Thats my PM's job!

End the end, i just try to be friendly and professional with my shop. I believe "If you love it, it will love you back."

::laughter::

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Apathy on 2006-11-01 14:11 ]</font>

Razorback
Nov 1, 2006, 05:02 PM
i make my items that i sell in the store, so it costs me nothing to make, so if it dont sell for a while i drop the price alot, then it will sell to some crazy dude who gots 100 meseta buring a hole in there g-string

Typhoeus
Nov 1, 2006, 05:22 PM
Here's a tip: If your on Xbox360 don't sell your elemental photons for 300+ meseta each. That's called douche and people won't buy your shit.

Carnage781
Nov 1, 2006, 05:24 PM
I've made like 150k profit in my shop, just depends on what you sell

Nukei
Nov 1, 2006, 05:26 PM
How do you use the shop option? Story mode and Tutorial didn't tell. >_>; xD

Tornasu
Nov 1, 2006, 05:56 PM
i think you use a desk in your room... im off to try it now!

ProfessorZ
Nov 1, 2006, 05:58 PM
Basically sell B rank weapons that arent hunter weapons. LOL my store gets empty after and hour and I end up having 30000. Use 2000 to buy materials, rinse and repeat

Randomness
Nov 1, 2006, 05:59 PM
You need to buy a Open Shop remodeling ticket in the light green shop on second floor of Colony. After that, use the Remodel option on your PM.

MaKaVeLi_X
Nov 1, 2006, 06:02 PM
I really want to be a Merchant... Problem is.. im worried if dupe comes out... all that work goes down the drain like that when someone dupes something worth alot and gets 1 million meseta in a hour.

bleyzwun
Nov 1, 2006, 11:00 PM
Well... I just got home from work and checked my storage. I made about 15k. I put up weapons for 25% of the NPC price and a bunch of crafting mats for half the price. I'm just worried that I'm selling stuff too cheap. I definitely don't want to overprice things I would much rather be known for having stuff at a lower price.

BTW Thanks for all the replies... I really appreciate it. I haven't really been synthing much since I dont have any good recipes yet (or not that I know of). I was saving all my materials but decided to try selling them today. I made money so it's cool, but would synthing be more profitable than selling raw mats?

Also Apathy. What do you mean by a hazard fee? I haven't grinded a weapon yet so I'm not too sure on the process. I thought the item would break while it was being grinded. but the way you put it, it sounds like it could break during a mission or something.

Thanks again guys. =P

Jetfan88
Nov 1, 2006, 11:06 PM
Whats a good price to sell Nano Carbons for, i have like 8 of em

Skyly
Nov 2, 2006, 12:03 AM
those go for 2500 retail, i price mine 1500 and below, depends on what mood im n

Remedy
Nov 2, 2006, 12:06 AM
2k for Nanocarbon. Yes, it's higher than my normal 50% of NPC price, but A) it's hard to get and B) everyone and their mother needs it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Skyly
Nov 2, 2006, 12:51 AM
2k, wow, thats alot. Aslo,what items sellgood is shops? anything with 4 or more stars or what?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sklyl on 2006-11-01 21:52 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Nov 2, 2006, 12:59 AM
I'm constantly looking for Moon Atomizer X's and Star Atomizers to feed my PM, as i'm sure others are too for that delicious +16 to the Strike stat. Go with that. I even settle for Moon Atomizers if i'm low and see them priced less than the NPC shop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-01 22:01 ]</font>

Topies
Nov 2, 2006, 01:37 AM
I just saw a guy with 45+ marseline.
It's a material used to make 5 star B rank rlife.
I'm LV 20 and I only have only seen and acquired 1 marseline.
Maybe he's just so much luckier than I do.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 2, 2006, 01:41 AM
On 2006-11-01 22:37, Topies wrote:
I just saw a guy with 45+ marseline.
It's a material used to make 5 star B rank rlife.
I'm LV 20 and I only have only seen and acquired 1 marseline.
Maybe he's just so much luckier than I do.

It's also used to make the 5* Sword and Twin Sabers. I made both and they both need 4x Soldonium and 3x Marseline as well as Par Ash and photons of your choice.

Can't say for the other 5*s but I assume so. Everyone should try to sell these items if ya can. Price them at half the NPC price and they will sell. I'm interested in the other 5*s but i'll settle for the Sword and Twin Sabers for now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-01 22:41 ]</font>

Sev
Nov 2, 2006, 01:42 PM
I'm pretty sure all 5* items require Marseline.

While randomly browsing shops to check prices on B-Rank 5*'s... I came across a pair of Twin Rippers for 4.5k today... Possibly the best deal I've had in a shop since buying a Megaline plan. For money making, the best thing to do is to shop around first, take a look at other stores and what they'd doing. Generally, you won't wanna be the lowest, but maybe someone in the middle. You definitely don't want to have the highest prices though, that won't get you anything at all. Synthesizing is my main focus for money, I make weapons when I can so I'm constantly searching around for plans or good deals on weapons that I can resale. It's been pretty decent so far.

The best thing to do, is just be sure that when you're actually around your customers, you ask them what they think. Most people don't answer, but some will and it's really nice to get feedback from time to time. You can also makes deals with people from time to time, because a little good karma seems to go along way. At least in my case.

Lnin0
Nov 2, 2006, 04:22 PM
There is one shop I visit that has great prices on 'mates and always a good supply of them. I know that is all they synth from looking at their history so they must make some decent money doing it.

I usually just look for weapons w/ elementals or sometimes a hard to find ingredient but don't like to pay much for that stuff.

I think a good price is a little bit over NPC resale value - not what you could buy it from an NPC for but what you could sell it to an NPC for.