PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Worth It?

ParkPlace
Nov 2, 2006, 10:40 AM
I spent over 5k to make Claymore, and I broke the weapon by grinding it. Although they did say "high chance of success". And I thought you get to keep broken weapon. I'm sad now.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Zabot
Nov 2, 2006, 10:46 AM
on the BETA i made a sweet bastara, and grinded it till it had 318 ATP, it still said "high" so i figured one more wouldnt hurt, use my last +7 grinder. . .and it broke. so i thought i learned my lesson(its just so fun when it comes out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ) but i grinded another to about 290 or so, it still said very high, so i tried again and it broke.

needless to say, only grind once, make sure its a good grinder. because the first time you do it, its a 100% probability that you will get it. they even say "wont mess up" or sumtihng along the lines of it.

I learned my lesson.

DragonFang
Nov 2, 2006, 10:48 AM
I broke my light element twin buster trying to grind it when it said "high chance of success", as well. Don't trust it. I wouldn't grind any high rank weapons if it didn't say "very high chance of success" instead of just "high chance of success".

ParkPlace
Nov 2, 2006, 10:48 AM
Thank you for your input, I guess I'll do the same. I'm only going to grind once from now on. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

erwos
Nov 2, 2006, 10:49 AM
I'm a wuss, and only grind once on stuff I can't afford to buy again, and twice on the stuff I can. A lot of the current grinding craze is because we don't have access to better weapons.

DragonFang
Nov 2, 2006, 10:52 AM
On 2006-11-02 07:46, Zabot wrote:needless to say, only grind once, make sure its a good grinder. because the first time you do it, its a 100% probability that you will get it. they even say "wont mess up" or sumtihng along the lines of it.

I learned my lesson.

Don't all grinders raise the same ammount of atp and PP no matter what their + success rate is? I thought so, at least.

Zabot
Nov 2, 2006, 10:55 AM
On 2006-11-02 07:52, DragonFang wrote:

On 2006-11-02 07:46, Zabot wrote:needless to say, only grind once, make sure its a good grinder. because the first time you do it, its a 100% probability that you will get it. they even say "wont mess up" or sumtihng along the lines of it.

I learned my lesson.

Don't all grinders raise the same ammount of atp and PP no matter what their + success rate is? I thought so, at least.

LOL no, there are +1-+10 grinders, and the higher the number the more it increases. i was fortunate enough to get 5 +7's!!! and used um all for nothin.

suxors

Peace

Valatar
Nov 2, 2006, 11:02 AM
Grinding is definitely worth it. My Stina-Zashi dagger underwent some pretty dramatic improvements with grinding.

Base: 227 PP, 136 ATP
Lvl 1: 237 PP, 143 ATP
Lvl 2: 244 PP, 150 ATP
Lvl 3: 249 PP, 162 ATP
Lvl 4: 254 PP, 176 ATP
Lvl 5: 259 PP, 190 ATP

So five grinds got me an extra 32 PP and 54 ATP on a C-rank dagger, a pretty considerable upgrade over the basic stats. Just be sure it's your lucky day before you grind a weapon, it has a big impact on the odds of success.

Zabot
Nov 2, 2006, 11:04 AM
Yea forgot about that, make sure your luck is good, or make a charater with the good luck for the day and have them grind it. that would work a lot better

ParkPlace
Nov 2, 2006, 11:08 AM
What do you mean by "make a charater with the good luck for the day". Sorry I just got this game a week ago.

Zabot
Nov 2, 2006, 11:10 AM
the luck(shining star by your name) is lvl 1 2 or 3. 3 is shiny yellow one. and its by gender and race, so make the cahr with the gender and race for the day, give it to them and have them grind it. well peace im off to lunch.

ParkPlace
Nov 2, 2006, 11:12 AM
Oh I see... Thank you.

Sigma_GenX
Nov 2, 2006, 11:18 AM
Don't get too greedy, or your weapon will pay the price. Thats why I keep my grinding limited.

Gravitom
Nov 2, 2006, 12:26 PM
On 2006-11-02 07:55, Zabot wrote:

LOL no, there are +1-+10 grinders, and the higher the number the more it increases. i was fortunate enough to get 5 +7's!!! and used um all for nothin.

suxors

Peace

Can anyone confirm this? I thought it only effected probability also.meow69

SephYuyX
Nov 2, 2006, 12:28 PM
Probability only.

Tried a +1 and +5 on two of the same knives, upgraded to the same stats.

Valatar
Nov 2, 2006, 12:28 PM
The grinder +value affects the likelihood of success, not the number of levels the weapon is ground to.

Remedy
Nov 2, 2006, 12:36 PM
On 2006-11-02 07:55, Zabot wrote:
LOL no, there are +1-+10 grinders, and the higher the number the more it increases. i was fortunate enough to get 5 +7's!!! and used um all for nothin.Wrong. The +<level> on a grinder only increases your chances of successful grinding with that grinder; it doesn't increase the ATP/TP and PP growth at all.

E:F,B

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Remedy on 2006-11-02 09:37 ]</font>

FlakariLeader
Nov 2, 2006, 12:50 PM
PSUPedia has a chart that has the success ranks of C and B weapons with grinders up to +10. According to that, if you use +10 Grinders on a B Rank weapon it will stay at "Very High" chance until it's +6 on a 3 luck day.

Sorenia
Nov 2, 2006, 01:12 PM
Guys. Very high just means exactly that. It's not certain. If you grind your weapon on "very high" 9 times then chances are "very high" that it's going to break one of those times.

Grinding is very worth it but not if you don't have a backup. What bugs me is that little window claims that sometimes your weapon won't break. They really need to fix that because I've never heard of anyone not having the weapon blow up. Even if it's possible the chance is extremely low and the window should say that.

Percival
Nov 2, 2006, 01:18 PM
I like the concept of risky grinding. It will make those grinded to 10 weapons very rare and museum worthy.

Kuya
Nov 2, 2006, 01:55 PM
Yohmei grinds up to +6 are at least double the ATP. All my yohmei gear is grinded this way.

Lnin0
Nov 2, 2006, 01:58 PM
On 2006-11-02 09:28, Valatar wrote:
The grinder +value affects the likelihood of success, not the number of levels the weapon is ground to.

Thank you. I was confused on this.
So best to hold my +7s and +10s for trying to get an extra grind or two out of the good weapons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lnin0 on 2006-11-02 10:59 ]</font>

chibiLegolas
Nov 2, 2006, 02:08 PM
So grinding with characters that are lucky for the day is a good idea. But PM's have nothing to do with grinding? What if I'm trying to level my PM to synthesize swords in perticular. If I'm grinding a sword, my PM's % won't help me get a better chance on sucess on top of being the luck person of the day?

Gavin_King
Nov 2, 2006, 02:09 PM
Just go here for the charts on figuring out what level grinder you should use, based on your luck and weapon-grade: http://psupedia.org/index.php?title=Weapon_Grinding

thadarkman78
Nov 2, 2006, 02:29 PM
PMs have no affect on grinding. Only your luck level and the grinder being used has an effect on the weapon (of course, there are different chances for different ranks). Also like mentioned before, grinder's have no affect on the amount of increase, that is a set amount that is increased per level. I think I can say this with confidence after breaking about 5 weapons by now.

I can understand having a cautious mentality when trying to grind say, an A or S rank rare weapon that you only found the board once, but when you're grinding crap like we have now, you can easily get back the materials to synth it, or the money to buy it again, just go for the risk. I personally only do High chances and greater, but hell, even 50-50 isn't so bad of a risk.

Highest I got was +6, tried to go to +7 with my B rank Durandal and failed with a high chance. I've also failed on a +2 attempt with a very high chance, as well as a few more high chances. It's no big deal, you break it, you break it.

Natrokos
Nov 2, 2006, 03:47 PM
Ive had pretty good luck with grinding online, got a Dual Pallasch to +5 A Slyrod to +4 and a Hajirod to +3 (i'm afraid to go higher)....Offline was a different story altogether, I broke three weapon going from +2 to +3.

Grinding is totally worth it but make sure you have a solid backup or are just freakin' rich.

SonicTMP
Nov 2, 2006, 03:48 PM
a good grind is always worth it... oh wait.

McLaughlin
Nov 2, 2006, 03:57 PM
For clarification, Luck is based on Race, gender, and Class.

KiteWolfwood
Nov 2, 2006, 04:11 PM
The + on grinders only effects the success rate. There is a nice little thing on psupedia that explains it.

Razorback
Nov 2, 2006, 04:14 PM
i only grind on my 'glowy sparkles' days

ProfessorZ
Nov 2, 2006, 04:16 PM
Just wait till you have full luck and make +10 grinders. You'll have up to four chances of grinding