PDA

View Full Version : Partner Machines and what they do in battle.

Rider
Nov 2, 2006, 04:28 PM
I was just curious as to how useful PMs are in battle once they give you their partner card. Do they make smart choices or will I just be better off not using the thing in battle? If not then I'll just try and make a pure striking PM or armor. Just something to help me synth items so they don't fail all the time.

I was thinking about making a mind PM so that it could heal me but I'm afraid that it will just sit there and not do anything. Basically heal when I don't need it to. I was going to use it for when I was soloing so that I could get a few heals. But if it has bad judgement then I'd rather have it synth. At least that way it will help when I want it to in someway.

Also I'm a hunter if that helps. I'll probably be going Fortefighter but I'm still unsure of which class to choose. If I do make the mind PM then I would be making another PM on a different character for synthing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rider on 2006-11-02 13:33 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Nov 2, 2006, 04:36 PM
Good question. I can't really answer your question directly as I've only had experience with an offline 420 model. Anyway, here's a short bit of info on my experience with mine, to give you some idea.

My PM basically brings claws with her into battle. A close range hunter she sometimes is a bit slow to start, but once she gets going, she literally lets her claws rip.

Now, I raised my PM to that status because I play my Ranger as a Hunter-support role. So in general, I wanted a PM that I could further practice that style with.

In general, she worked out quite well for me, but that's in part that I play my Ranger to a hunter's style. Once they jump into the fray, they certainly don't stand there getting hit, if that's what you're asking.

At times, what I need to do, is lead her into range. That can be a little risky as a Ranger. I guess that's not too bad considering the opposite effect would've been worse. I'd hate to make a run for it and my PM never disengages to follow me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-11-02 13:38 ]</font>

MayLee
Nov 2, 2006, 04:41 PM
Can PMs get hit and "Die"? Do you heal them like you would anyone els?

Akaimizu
Nov 2, 2006, 04:42 PM
PMs can certainly get hit and get incapacitated. And yes, you can heal them the same way. My Claw one was still fairly resilient, so it really didn't feel like I had to constantly baby-sit it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-11-02 13:43 ]</font>

Rider
Nov 2, 2006, 04:44 PM
I know hunter type PMs do alright. I was running around with Leo online and he's a hunter, just ran around and attacked whatever was near. But I would imagine that wouldn't be as hard for the PM to do as knowing when to heal. I've seen npcs do some stupid choices so I'm quesitioning the AI in this game. I just want to avoid getting a mind PM thinking it will heal me, only to find out in the end it doesn't. Espically since there is no way to reset your PM in online currently.

MayLee
Nov 2, 2006, 04:44 PM
Hmm, since I'll be a force coulkd I possibly make my PM a Hunter class?

That would be awsome.

Rider
Nov 2, 2006, 04:48 PM
On 2006-11-02 13:44, MayLee wrote:
Hmm, since I'll be a force coulkd I possibly make my PM a Hunter class?

That would be awsome.

Yeah you can.

The drawback on this though is that the PM won't be very good at synthing things related to your class, since it will be something else then what you are. It will still be able to synth things at a decent % rate (depending on what other stats you raised unless you went pure).

I would imagine that most people who do this make a seperate character and use that PM as a pure to synth things for them. I have no problem doing that. I'd rather just get it right the first time rather then waste time, money, and items. I don't really have any of that to throw around in testing. Espically if there is no way to reset the thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rider on 2006-11-02 13:49 ]</font>

MayLee
Nov 2, 2006, 04:54 PM
Ah, I see.

Looks like my PM will be a Force, then.

Rider
Nov 2, 2006, 04:58 PM
On 2006-11-02 13:54, MayLee wrote:
Ah, I see.

Looks like my PM will be a Force, then.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure depending on your stat, it will raise the success rates on certain items. Like Armor will raise synth success %, striking will do melee weapons, you get the picture.

Akaimizu
Nov 2, 2006, 04:58 PM
True, if you want. Though I figure even if your PM isn't a Force, it should be pretty capable in creation as long as you do end up putting a decent amount of stats into Technique.

I actually wasn't worried about it as I wasn't planning on making my personal PM, the main source of my Ranger weapons. More so, I wanted to make stuff for other classes and use that as trade to make money for me nabbing and grinding my own.

To each thier own, I say. There's many ways to approach the same overall results. It just depends on which order you want them.

Evolution-wise, I simply wanted a PM that creates the best effective combat balance with my Ranger's playstyle.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-11-02 13:59 ]</font>

SonicTMP
Nov 2, 2006, 05:01 PM
It's said that the PM's combat level is suppost to effect synth rates too. Though we have so little info on that.

MayLee
Nov 2, 2006, 05:06 PM
Ah, I see. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Rider
Nov 2, 2006, 05:27 PM
On 2006-11-02 14:01, SonicTMP wrote:
It's said that the PM's combat level is suppost to effect synth rates too. Though we have so little info on that.

Combat level would effect all synth rates or just certain ones? It would make sense for a force PM to improve on making force related things since it uses them.

Wallin
Nov 3, 2006, 02:25 AM
FYI, I heard one story from a guy who had a tech PM and it didn't heal him at all. He was in the yellow critical range and it still never healed him, and he finally broke down and used a mate. So don't rely too much on creating a PM just for healing, you'll likely be disappointed.

I've also heard some not-so-great stories about how PMs are kind of random, and will sometimes waste their SUV by just shooting a wall. D'oh!

I've also heard a rumor? that all PMs have the ability to heal. That one I don't know if it's true or not.

And lastly, most importantly, if the PM dies, your rank WILL be affected. They are definitely not for use in parties, as if your PM screws the entire team of S-rank because you can't control it, you'll be booted really fast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2006-11-02 23:28 ]</font>

DarkSeph
Nov 3, 2006, 02:31 AM
Until I learned that focusing on a specific trait to level up I was trying to do things mostly even across the board because I was running out of good things to give my PM and would have to wait to get more. Now I'm focusing on Striking again, even if it takes longer...

Marks
Nov 3, 2006, 04:52 AM
Lots of people complained of standing around with yellow bar low hp, and their force PM just standing there not healing. I am making a striking PM for synthing, and it can't be that bad for fighting either. On top of everything it's not like your combat PM is anything important, it takes up a party slot and you can only invite it if you are group leader.

Reeve
Nov 3, 2006, 07:38 AM
this is a bit off topic but is anyone else here making a pure striking PM, i look at most peoples PM's when i visit their shop and all have atleast some in mind if its a striking PM

i have seen one pure ranged pm but thats it

seemed a bit wierd to me as i thought everyone would be trying to get pure PM's (im going for a pure striking one myself, damn expensive....)

anyway its good to hear the melee pms arent that bad i was considering getting a force one to give me heals but since it sounds so unreliable im glad i didnt

Pilla
Nov 3, 2006, 07:47 AM
For the casting type mag, it's not really good for too much healing offlie but sometimes she will heal. The casting type mag does the following spells offline.

Rabatra

Foie

Megid (the ball that floats down slowly)

Resta

Gi-Resta (she's only used it once so far)

The AI form my standpoint isn't too good when she does the spells, she still uses megid in the HIVE and sometimes she'll cast it and it's WAY off the targets she aiming for. She does however make great use when in a party for missions as she does freeze them and when she lands her megid right it can clear up all the mobs that where low on HP. She doesn't seem to have impressive defense, normally being the one who needs healing when things get rough but her magic makes up for it. The only time she used Gi-Resta was when I was fighting the mecha robots and her life was in the yellow, she threw in a "You must protect me!" line and it healed everyone fully and had a regen effect for a short time.

I'd say she'd be better for a ranger or a protective hunter, but a force could keep her healed and both you and her could deal the damage so I'd say force wins her for the best results. Um, I had a ranger PM with Ethan and she was decent and all but I think her color was ugly http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif the best way I made her was just feeding her photons which cost about 29k for 99 but raises her stats really really slow (everything +2)

PMs seem pretty good in the attacking department, from the 2 I've made the damage was decent and they do tend to finish the job before I have a chance to do so myself, but online might be differnt and since hunters cant use wands to link resta to before advance class it will be difficult having one around due to mission ranks...but here is something strange..in offline mode my PM died and my rank score final was still a full 1k S rank o.O this also happened at the final boss. Might be related to offline only though so who know :s

Keldog
Nov 3, 2006, 11:03 AM
Your PM is extremely resistant to damage. I believe that it is 10 lvls higher than you at all times. Mine is slow to get going, but rips once she is engaged in attacking. I noticed that on her stats, there is a spot for "Combat" and mine says something like "stays close". I'm guessing that they may get more more aggressive.

Spellbinder
Nov 3, 2006, 11:26 AM
FYI, I heard one story from a guy who had a tech PM and it didn't heal him at all. He was in the yellow critical range and it still never healed him, and he finally broke down and used a mate. So don't rely too much on creating a PM just for healing, you'll likely be disappointed.

Sounds an awful lot like a post I made in the Partner Machinery thread in the other section of the forums. So, to clarify, i'd like to mention that the GH-450 I used that didn't heal me was "offline."

Online, the GH-450 (Tech) has 2 rods and a wand. The 2 rods contain Foie, Gifoie, Rafoie, and Jellen. The wand contains only Resta. It's AI doesn't seem to have any particular indicator to make it heal you when your HP is low, however. It simply cycles through its weapons and when in proximity with an enemy, it will start to use whatever techs it may have equipped.

The good thing is, it cycles through to the wand fairly often, so it heals a fairly good amount.

Villin
Jan 12, 2007, 08:28 PM
My personal story. I was was in a battle with my pm, at this time I thought that my pm only had on two guns, a ice rifle and a ice handgun neither of which i gave to her. The battle was tough, both my pm and myself were in the yellow and separated. I was like forget her, everybody for them self. Before i knew it she had killed the group around her and was next to me fighting. We were both still taking damage when she yelled " will someone help me" then she equipped a wand, while still have the ice handgun in the other hand and began to use a healing technique over and over till we were both fully healed. I did not know PM were that good. I have a lvl 80 pm 50 range 25 strike 5 tec

Snadzies
Jan 12, 2007, 11:20 PM
http://psupedia.info/index.php?title=Partner_Machinery

Great site for PM info.

From what I hear Sega admited they accidently "Broke" The Force PM a wile back and are working on "fixing" it so it be more proactive about healing like it was before.

I have a 410 on my Force and I find it extreamly useful. It does nice damage and they are pretty resestant to damage so you don't have to constantly heal them.

Right now Battle Levels don't seem to have any effect on synthing. There is some talk about aan update later to have battle levels factor into synthing %'s.

Reginaldo
Jan 13, 2007, 05:51 PM
On 2006-11-02 23:25, Wallin wrote:

I've also heard some not-so-great stories about how PMs are kind of random, and will sometimes waste their SUV by just shooting a wall. D'oh!

I've also heard a rumor? that all PMs have the ability to heal. That one I don't know if it's true or not.

And lastly, most importantly, if the PM dies, your rank WILL be affected. They are definitely not for use in parties, as if your PM screws the entire team of S-rank because you can't control it, you'll be booted really fast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2006-11-02 23:28 ]</font>

How? Only the party leader can have their PM in battle in the first place..they couldn't get booted. Granted, his party would probably not play with him/her anymore.

Sekani
Jan 13, 2007, 06:24 PM
On 2006-11-02 23:25, Wallin wrote:

Since only the party leader can use a PM, I don't think bootage will be problem http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Still, this is good to know.

More on topic, for my fighgunner I'm actually putting together a "dirty" 450 (70 striking, 30 technic). From the anecdotes I've read so far on the forums, the synth percentage increase between mine and a pure striking PM isn't going to be that drastic. This way I get a PM that helps in battle and still has a decent chance of synthing melee weapons.

Also, what PM is better in combat? A 430 or 440?

Kittycat
Jan 13, 2007, 06:34 PM
Good shield, prevents player 5-6 from joining and leeching drops, has a B St that you can OCD raise like everything else.

Bad for rank in some missions, usually have to be led into monsters, annoying and can't be blacklisted.

Maridia
Jan 13, 2007, 06:51 PM
Guys, don't bump threads that old, please. :3

Kyres
Jan 13, 2007, 06:57 PM
Apparently not many people know, but ALL NPCs, including PMs (not having that censored seems wierd now o.O), tutorial NPCs, and the ones you get in the online quests (though some are the same) have a wand that they will occasionaly equip when near death and spam Resta like there is no tomorrow . . . which makes sense because they're about to die. Don't rely on this though, as A) they are completely selfish about it and B) half the time they'll stand there with 1 HP anyway. But if they start flailing wildly and glowing green, run in next to them for a nice HP shower. It's refreshing.

deedger
Jan 13, 2007, 07:34 PM
you can reset the pm there is an item i think in one of the stores thats you buy! its 10k i tink and it resetsyour pm back to level 0 so if you thiks its worth resetting...

CrabRangoon
Jan 14, 2007, 05:00 AM
MayLee: if you're making a TECH PM on an alt, by any chance, then by no means should you refrain from making a Melee (hah, Melee/MayLee o.o ) PM with your FO character. I've got a PM that's (off the top of my head) 77 / 3 / 17 / 3, and I have made :knocks on wood: plenty of B-rank guns, wands, bows, and rods, with a success ratio of about 3:1. This is obviously a mixed PM, and I made sure that I had an amount of TECH to it, and I think I've got 55-60% advertised success rate on FO type weaps. I cant speak from experience on A-ranks, or armors, as I haven't messed with making any.

Also, PM's and NPC's are the suck when it comes to taking on overpowering enemies. I've had some rather rude awakenings, and wish I were just quicker to realize I should've booted my PM/NPC at some times. I blow right through things such as Agata/SW on A w/my WT + PM, but when it comes time to take on Svaltus/whatev, my PM and/or NPC just run straight up to it and get smashed. I end up having to pay more attention to their HP and status than allowing myself to beat down the boss, otherwise, they'll inevitably die and cost me MP+$ (happens a lot, as I die less than half as much as they do :gag:)

Nayte
Jan 14, 2007, 05:13 AM
Tech PMs have been fixed since the update. I have one myself and this one spams resta. I would reccomend a tech Pm to any melee class. Maybe its because of her Battle level but i dont have to babysit her at all. I'd even go as far aas saying shes better than some of the forces out there...

Spacepest
Jan 14, 2007, 05:22 AM
Hmm, I've been testing out my GH450 online (just got her last week).
Since the last update, she actually heals me! Its nice to have a little back up resta. The only thing is you have to keep an eye out for when she heals, as she has to switch between rods to heal you, just like a party member would. So she can't help you fast enough if you get one shotted or two-shotted. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
But she will generally heal me if I hit 50% or lower on my HP bar, and of course I have to stand near her when she casts it. (One time she yelled at me, "Get it together!" when I was too far away for her resta to reach me). When she's not healing, she joins in the battle by frying enemies with fireballs.

My other PM is a GH440, nothing special. She shoots enemies and SE shocks them alot. Good for a player that already has some kind of resta spell in case she gets into trouble. And of course she has a nifty looking green tophat.