PDA

View Full Version : Why no Slicers?

MilkManX
Nov 2, 2006, 08:18 PM
I still have my PSO guide books and was looking through them the other day. I remembered that I loved Slicers! So I didnt see any in PSU. Anyone got the scoop on these much loved and hated weapons?

Silver_Wyrm
Nov 2, 2006, 08:19 PM
none.

FenixStryk
Nov 2, 2006, 08:19 PM
Gone, but Cards, Longbows, Crossbows, Grenade Launchers, Laser Cannons, Axes, and a lot of Twins were added in its place.

UltimateCarl
Nov 2, 2006, 09:07 PM
I was thinking that fans work similarly... Then again, they might not, and I'm not sure who can use them. They might not even be similar in stats, either. Ah well.

ProfessorZ
Nov 2, 2006, 09:15 PM
I miss those too. That was the most melee I had being a ranger in PSO

Flunky
Nov 2, 2006, 09:17 PM
Cards/fans are kinda similar, at least in that it's a slightly homing projectile with parabolic arcs at various angles traveled. There's been a few threads already about cards, as well as a video or few at youtube showing what they're like.

MayLee
Nov 2, 2006, 09:17 PM
I loved the canes and wands. I wonder if they'll have the monkey bars..

DizzyDi
Nov 2, 2006, 09:24 PM
A long range weapon that strikes multiple enemies for hunters would make them too powerful over rangers, and a weapon like that would be redundant for RAs because they have the crossbow and shotgun.

Itsuki
Nov 3, 2006, 01:23 AM
Yup, it would be redundant. Slicers weren't a good idea for a weapon anyways.

And as for cards, they're nothing like slicers. They're kind of a delayed hitting homing bullet single handed ranged weapon... they're weird. They stand out quite a bit in the ranged weapon family. Forces are proficient in them yet they still have an ATA requirement. They're the only gun where you aim at the monsters instead of at where you expect the monster to be. Then theres that huge delay before they hit thats big enough for you to shoot the card twice, switch weapons, and hit them with the weapon you switched to before the first card bullet hits the monster.

MilkManX
Nov 3, 2006, 09:35 AM
I rather enjoyed the slicers. It made me remember the great Phantasy Star IV. Good times.

Jiga
Nov 3, 2006, 10:34 AM
Slicers are pretty nostalgic of the golden days of PS. Highly useful in 2, 3, and 4. Disappointed they aren't in this one but I honestly didn't notice til you brought it up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Diablohead
Nov 3, 2006, 11:13 AM
Would be cool to see one as a rare or something, bring us some classic.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 3, 2006, 11:22 AM
Slicers weren't the most effective, but I still kept a few around because they had that sort of 'useless-cool' to it.

Pure-chan
Nov 3, 2006, 11:31 AM
On 2006-11-02 18:24, DizzyDi wrote:
A long range weapon that strikes multiple enemies for hunters would make them too powerful over rangers, and a weapon like that would be redundant for RAs because they have the crossbow and shotgun.

You're right, it would take too much away from RA's. A ranged HU wep would be even more imbalanced in favor of HU since all ranged attacks cost PP, while melee weapons only use PP with Photon Arts.

...Still, I'm going to miss them. =/

Polenicus
Nov 3, 2006, 11:32 AM
I think the reason Slicers didn't make it in is, because unlike other weapons, they're very situational.

In original PSO (Version 1) they were all but useless. The forward travel was terrible (About the worst of any weapon), and by the time you finished the third part of the combo, you were generally right in the mob's face (Assuming you started attacking at the extreme end of your range). That coupled with pretty lousy damage and no quick menu to switch weapons easily meant you quickly ended up back on Pioneer 2 with a sore butt and vague memories of a Hildebear telling you you had a 'Purdy Mouth'.

In later versions they fixed the forward travel so you stayed more or less in place, and slicers at least became useable. That plus the quick menu allowed you to swap it in to grab a quick tag on all the mobs, then switch to soemthing else. But in Ultimate, the mobs really moved far too fast for it to be really useful. It's biggest use was against bosses with multiple target points, like Vol Opt or Del Rol Le. There they could do a fairly good job of ripping things up, and most people had a Rappy Fan or Red Slicer for just such a fight.

Ichy
Nov 3, 2006, 11:37 AM
Slicers were cool, and they fit well with PSO, but like the others are saying here I think the balance would be skewed to have them in PSU. One thing I do remember about slicers, at any rate, was the horrible delay at the end of the 3-hit ><. I mean, not as bad as a Sword, but still. For such a quick weapon it was an irritating finish.

metatime
Nov 3, 2006, 12:10 PM
People really underestimate slicers especially on HUs. Enemies can't dodge slicers. The slicer can only hit or miss, that is why it is a sword type and not a gun type.

Ri0T
Nov 3, 2006, 01:03 PM
I am hoping Sonic Team will be so gracious as to give us slicers some time in the future. (i can wait) Not many people used 'em in PSO, but I made a point of fully exploiting the weapon's strengths with My HUnewearl back in the day. It was perfect if I was behind the party and supporting... Diska of Braveman could do some incredible damage... then Resta and repeat.

I worry about class balance as far as conflicts with Rangers go as well... but they could do the same thing they did with the Twin Sabers and limit them to an Expert Class. (only Figunner can use Twins, i believe)

I miss my Slicers. XD

AC9breaker
Nov 3, 2006, 01:07 PM
Also, becuase Photon Whip would make a much better addition over Slicers.

AngelLight
Nov 3, 2006, 01:11 PM
There are a couple of slots left on the weapons rank screens....so whos to say that there wont be additional weapons available in the future.....and since Slicers are a part of PS lore.....well you know where that's going ^_^