PDA

View Full Version : Cut-In Chat: Awesome or Annoying?

Merumeru
Nov 3, 2006, 01:19 PM
XD well, ive just got to ask this, since all of my shortcut chats now integrate cut-in-chat faces, does it annoy people when someone uses them a lot? X.x I don't spam them and a lot of people keep telling me not to use them because it lags them and stuff x.x I think its pretty nifty especially for RPing and such, and some of the battle cries and such people have are just hilarious XD whats everyones opinion on this?

Shango
Nov 3, 2006, 01:24 PM
I've never heard of them lagging anyone but I use mine a lot too. All my shortcuts have them except yes and no. I really enjoy seeing my characters face when I talk, it adds to the game for me.. that stated, I also really enjoy seeing other people's faces when they talk and I love to get in a game with someone who took the time to add cut ins to their shortcuts.

However I'm sure someone with negative intentions could aggravate me with cut-in spam. I mean firing one off every room or more could be annoying, especially if it's during the fight. (I tend to use them when there's nothing necessary on the screen to cover up)

Flunky
Nov 3, 2006, 01:27 PM
Awesome or annoying?

Awesome. To the max. To be completely honest, cut-in chat is one of the reasons I bought this game. So over the top it's superb.

Dhylec
Nov 3, 2006, 01:30 PM
Cut-ins used in moderation is nice. Too much of anything (even good things) is never good. ;]

Shanira
Nov 3, 2006, 01:31 PM
Awesome, but I think I overuse them. Although my only chat macro that has cut-in for now is one that shows the confused face (#4) and "D:" since they match so perfectly. XD

Merumeru
Nov 3, 2006, 01:33 PM
XD for me, cut-in-chat really adds the RPG in MMORPG...its just I get so many people who get mad at me even if I use like, 2 or 3 in a mission tops x.x like the one for my nanoblast and greeting new players coming into the mission~

JaiBlue
Nov 3, 2006, 01:33 PM
On 2006-11-03 10:30, Dhylec wrote:
Cut-ins used in moderation is nice. Too much of anything (even good things) is never good. ;]

Having lots a meseta is always good. (always)

espically if your spending it all grinding and synths.

Trinacepti
Nov 3, 2006, 01:34 PM
I like them, I didn't think about adding them to shortcuts, I'll do that next time I log on.

klunka
Nov 3, 2006, 01:35 PM
time for me to look stupid.

How did you get your chat shortcuts to be cut-ins?

Flunky
Nov 3, 2006, 01:36 PM
Moderation is true... I generally only use cut-in chats for my favorite response quickchat of 'Preposterous!' marked with the expressionless robot face framed by the angry or baffled background.

Other than that, it's whenever the fancy strikes... maybe 1-3 times per mission tops. Of course, I avoid using them during times where the last thing somebody needs is a giant robo-face blocking a quarter of their screen, heh.

Akaimizu
Nov 3, 2006, 01:37 PM
I like them, though I also haven't added them to shortcuts. I might do a couple, though. Stuff like Tynselle's catch phrases she may do once a night, with each group she's in.

"It's always high noon in Tynselle-town."

Stuff like that. And of course, her "Heh Heh" with the Sneer pose, which simply looks like a devilish grin for her.

But true, everything is done in moderation. They only get annoying when they're used too much.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-11-03 10:38 ]</font>

Shanira
Nov 3, 2006, 01:39 PM
On 2006-11-03 10:35, klunka wrote:
time for me to look stupid.

How did you get your chat shortcuts to be cut-ins?

Put @ and then the number of the expression before the shortcut. There's a better and more complete explanation of text shortcuts at psupedia (http://psupedia.org/index.php?title=Chat_Macros).

Dhylec
Nov 3, 2006, 01:41 PM
Having lots a meseta is always good. (always)
True, because you have use for it, a good use also.
Heh, I doubt it won't happen, but if the bank & your pocket is full & you can't use use the meseta, then it's no good anyway. But that's a different topic. ;]

klunka
Nov 3, 2006, 01:41 PM
Thank you very much! I just wish psupedia wasn't down 80% of the time for me

Shango
Nov 3, 2006, 01:52 PM
On 2006-11-03 10:41, klunka wrote:
Thank you very much! I just wish psupedia wasn't down 80% of the time for me

That's okay, they can all be found in this thread here:

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=124572&forum=22&6

Shanira
Nov 3, 2006, 02:02 PM
Actually if you try a few times you tend to get through, I think its just kinda overloaded at the moment what with launch going on and all.

Cause_I_Own_U
Nov 3, 2006, 02:15 PM
large blank bubble vs large blank bubble = dbz ki battles

Banya
Nov 3, 2006, 02:25 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think its just kinda dumb.

I'm not really a fan of the chat bubbles either. I'd much prefer to just have a chat window at the bottom of the screen, without having to pull up the chat log every time I want to see what someone said.

FlakariLeader
Nov 3, 2006, 03:03 PM
Personally, they're annoying because they cut my frame rate in half. :/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FlakariLeader on 2006-11-03 12:04 ]</font>

Getintothegame
Nov 3, 2006, 03:28 PM
It lags me when there's a lot going on.

DraginHikari
Nov 3, 2006, 04:06 PM
It's lags me a little during mission but it doesnt bother me that much

ecchichuu
Nov 3, 2006, 04:13 PM
I think CiC is not used nearly enough. It makes the mood of the game a lot more fun. Even if your CiCs are filled with nothing but bad jokes I'd prefer seeing them over "Hi" "Congrats" "Thanks".
To the people getting lag... are you on PS2 or a weak PC? I never had a lag problem with cut in chat and I'm not on a killer PC.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ecchichuu on 2006-11-03 13:14 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 3, 2006, 04:22 PM
They're awesome, though I can see how people would get annoyed if they see a cut-in saying "Sankyuu!" everytime a force heals. (Not me though, I almost wanna be a force just because of it. It's cute!)

I'd use the cut-in more often, but I just don't have enough things to say that would go great with it. I'll play with the shortcuts...maybe I can say "Freeze this, bitch" on Neudaiz with an angry face and an ice shotgun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-11-03 13:23 ]</font>

klunka
Nov 3, 2006, 04:25 PM
During a mission, I'll try to keep the cut-ins to a minimum as I don't want to cause slowdown for anyone and possibly ruin our rank.

In the lobbies though, it's free for all. You'll see my cut-ins and like it!

Saner
Nov 3, 2006, 04:27 PM
On 2006-11-03 10:19, Merumeru wrote:
XD well, ive just got to ask this, since all of my shortcut chats now integrate cut-in-chat faces, does it annoy people when someone uses them a lot? X.x I don't spam them and a lot of people keep telling me not to use them because it lags them and stuff x.x I think its pretty nifty especially for RPing and such, and some of the battle cries and such people have are just hilarious XD whats everyones opinion on this?

replacing the symbol chat with cut in chat is one of the best decisions ever. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Akaimizu
Nov 3, 2006, 04:29 PM
I agree. I mean, some people might love the symbol chats, but most of my symbol chats were me making the symbols represent a charicature of my character with expressions and symbol words or symbols. So in a way, the Cut-in-chat really took a lot of work off my hands. I guess I'm a bit biased with my agreement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-11-03 13:29 ]</font>

Hidoshi
Nov 3, 2006, 04:31 PM
Cut-In Chat > You.

You know it's awesome. Classic Gundam awesome.

Sorenia
Nov 3, 2006, 04:33 PM
like the one for my nanoblast

Well for online gaming when you do roleplay things like a macro everytime you nanoblast there are always going to be players who get annoyed by that. They are probably more annoyed by the roleplaying aspect than the cut-in though.

Don't let that stop you from doing it though.

As for cut-ins being annoying the only thing I find annoying is when Im fighting mobs and someone enters and suddenly 3 people with their fancy cut-in "hello" spam it and suddenly I can't see anything! The same is true for "Congrats" spam.

I think if you just avoid it during combat that is fine.

Cerulean
Nov 3, 2006, 04:37 PM
I love it. I think most of agree it should keep to a minimum during intense fights, but otherwise I think it adds a lot to the game.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 3, 2006, 04:46 PM
I just thought of something: Can you use cut-in chats when you're dead?

Knownoes
Nov 3, 2006, 04:56 PM
If there was a way to turn the fancy moving backgrounds off then I'd like them more. A blank CiC with just the face doesn't cut my fps at all, but anything in the background screws my fps over. =(

I can tolerate the slowdown if there's nothing going on and it's only used 2-3 times a mission, but please, be considerate of those of us who're skint as it is without having to buy a new PC.

Merumeru
Nov 3, 2006, 09:18 PM
On 2006-11-03 13:46, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

XD yep, so have fun with your grunts/moans/overdramatic-dying-monologue

Apathy
Nov 3, 2006, 09:24 PM
Personally I like Cut in chat.. It is a very useful tool to adding humor, or boosting morale in this game. Especially on PC/PS2. I have a few cut in chat macros to add flavor to my combat style, and notify people if I am closing in or hanging back to go ranged. For us who either loathe the idea of voice chat, or just dont have the means to participate in voice chat, it keeps a personal "I am here and I am playing with you guys, and having fun" feel to the gaming experience.

Hidoshi
Nov 3, 2006, 09:27 PM
I like spamming "METAL GEAR?!?!?!?!" when fighting the boss in the Grove (Adhana Dhagna or somesuch). It just works so well with a shocked angry face.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 4, 2006, 04:27 PM
My friend plays a female cast and had an expressionless "DADDY?" cut-in for Adhana. Awesome.

Now I've got a victory cut-in: a confused face saying "Time to split!" Knowing what game this is from makes it that much worse. XD

On 2006-11-03 18:18, Merumeru wrote:

On 2006-11-03 13:46, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

XD yep, so have fun with your grunts/moans/overdramatic-dying-monologue

Sweet! Now if I'd just die more often...