PDA

View Full Version : Fraps and PSU

myomer
Nov 3, 2006, 03:56 PM
Hey all,

Anyone doing fraps with PSU? I haven't tried fraps at all until last night. I only tried the demo version so it limited my video captures to 30 seconds. And while the quality of the video was good, it also really slowed down my game (combat was like slow motion).

Is this normal for fraps? Or fraps with PSU? I've considered trying to capture some of the more fun battles in the game with it but if it really stifles the combat that much I'm not sure anymore.

Or is it because it's the demo?

ecchichuu
Nov 3, 2006, 04:10 PM
Fraps is always like that. You'd probably need a much better PC and/or lower your capture settings to cap without any slowdown. There are other video cap programs that put less strain on the system but capture much lower quality video. I think one is called gamecam.

watashiwa
Nov 3, 2006, 04:12 PM
I use FRAPS on my PC, works pretty well, don't get much slowdown at all...

As said, you need a much better PC or to lower the settings.

With PSU, though, the amount of FPS you set FRAPS to capture also has to be identical to PSU's frameskip value. If they don't match, PSU will play in slow motion regardless of your set up.

So, if you have PSU set to Frameskip of 0, set FRAPS to 60fps.
Frameskip of 1, set FRAPS to 30fps.
Frameskip of 2, set FRAPS to 20fps.
Frameskip of 3, set FRAPS to 15fps.

Tomeeboy
Nov 3, 2006, 04:14 PM
On 2006-11-03 13:12, watashiwa wrote:
I use FRAPS on my PC, works pretty well, don't get much slowdown at all...

As said, you need a much better PC or to lower the settings.

With PSU, though, the amount of FPS you set FRAPS to capture also has to be identical to PSU's frameskip value. If they don't match, PSU will play in slow motion regardless of your set up.

So, if you have PSU set to Frameskip of 0, set FRAPS to 60fps.
Frameskip of 1, set FRAPS to 30fps.
Frameskip of 2, set FRAPS to 20fps.
Frameskip of 3, set FRAPS to 15fps.

Not sure why I didn't think of that before... I was always wondering why FRAPs ran terrible on my PC, which is a pretty powerful dual core system.

watashiwa
Nov 3, 2006, 04:50 PM
On 2006-11-03 13:14, Tomeeboy wrote:
... I was always wondering why FRAPs ran terrible on my PC, which is a pretty powerful dual core system.

Yeah.. and this wouldn't be an issue if PSU had an "auto frameskip" option. =P

myomer
Nov 3, 2006, 07:16 PM
I'll have to try the frameskip option because I don't think my PC ain't that bad off, spec/performance wise:

Dual Core AMD 4200, 1GB RAM, GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

Klakalou
Nov 3, 2006, 07:33 PM
the only way fraps can record more than 30fps is with a dual core cpu.

watashiwa
Nov 3, 2006, 10:57 PM
On 2006-11-03 16:33, Klakalou wrote:
the only way fraps can record more than 30fps is with a dual core cpu.

Good thing my CPU is dual core. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I have no problem capturing 60fps!

myomer
Nov 3, 2006, 11:24 PM
Got it fixed with the frameskip adjustments. No slowdowns now on 60fps. Now.... sound? I can't get that part to work either auto detect or windows input.... or is that (again) limited by the fact it's the demo and not full version? (I'm only using the onboard soundcard btw).

watashiwa
Nov 4, 2006, 12:05 AM
On 2006-11-03 20:24, myomer wrote:
I can't get that part to work either auto detect or windows input.... or is that (again) limited by the fact it's the demo and not full version? (I'm only using the onboard soundcard btw).

I don't know what the limitations are between the demo and full version, but if your onboard soundcard does not have any sort of recording input that's like "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" then you're kinda out of luck.

It needs to be able to sample from the output of your soundcard.

A lot of soundcards now usually have something like this for a recording input.. so check all of your available types...

myomer
Nov 4, 2006, 11:43 AM
Ok thanks for all the input at least I got the capture part working. Now to decide whether to get the full version or not...