PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or......

cobfab
Nov 3, 2006, 07:24 PM
does anyone else starting to miss the good old legit PSO days while playing this good but incomplete game? C-Mode and Battle mode, Endless Nightmare missions.
Does anyone else feel like going back to PSO to play until this game gets more content.

Xeveous
Nov 3, 2006, 07:25 PM
No.

daylight129
Nov 3, 2006, 07:26 PM
No.

DONTOSE
Nov 3, 2006, 07:28 PM
no way will i ever stop playing psu and go back to pso not in a milllion years.

happy_cricket
Nov 3, 2006, 07:39 PM
PSO win candy, but I would not stop this one to go back.

Hidoshi
Nov 3, 2006, 09:32 PM
To echo previous posts:

NO.

Auronp
Nov 3, 2006, 09:39 PM
No. I liked pso but i like psu better. They both have a fun game but i've done pso already

Dhylec
Nov 3, 2006, 10:12 PM
Here's a very simple analysis..
PSU: color TV
PSO: b&w TV

Callous
Nov 3, 2006, 10:12 PM
I liked PSO more. It had a lot more soul than PSU, or so it seems to me. That said, I will be playing PSU because that, as they say, is where it's at.

singogreatest
Nov 3, 2006, 10:13 PM
YES am I the only one
for now atleast
I wish it was I could atleast play single player

Wallin
Nov 3, 2006, 10:17 PM
Casts can be forces, that's just plain hawt (even if they're not the best at it, lol). PSU wins. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AeraLure
Nov 3, 2006, 10:24 PM
On 2006-11-03 19:12, Callous wrote:
I liked PSO more. It had a lot more soul than PSU, or so it seems to me. That said, I will be playing PSU because that, as they say, is where it's at.

I couldnt agree witht his more. I am missing aspects of PSO definitely. Hoping what comes in the future update will help fill that gap. I'm enjoying PSU, but I too liked PSO better.

StillOffline
Nov 3, 2006, 10:44 PM
pso's story mode had essentially 8 "missions" give or take, depending on how you count control center. that alone makes psu better (acutally pso wasnt much of a plot at all, more like "hey, so this thing happened once")

Deprimenthia
Nov 3, 2006, 11:54 PM
No. In fact, I may have sexual intercourse with my PSU disc right now. BRB.

Mac2492
Nov 4, 2006, 12:00 AM
Phantasy Star Universe has more potential. That is all. =)

Jandon
Nov 4, 2006, 12:28 AM
Definitely no, my brother just had PSO in (he only has an original X-Box). It brought back awesome memories, but I had little if any desire to go back, though red boxes seem to light up a little more in PSO. This game really has everything it did (obiosuly there are some differences, but to me they r minute) and a little more, plus the almost definite future of continued new content for quite some time to come. Definitely more potential. But PSO did rock, and it started it all.

trypticon
Nov 4, 2006, 12:47 AM
I feel what you are suggesting here. PSU is missing something huge that PSO had. I'm not certain what it is, but my desire to play PSU like I played PSO for the last four years is nonexistant.

The community on PSU sucks, bad. I get recognized a few times a day and manage to get in a few good games, but that doesn't mean much. The majority of players, particularly the ones in universe 15, are asshats. I'm not claiming everyone is, but most of the ones who manage to speak up when asked something are very offputting. The others just sit in place.

I don't blame them. I find lobby trolling a hell of a lot more enjoyable in this game than it ever was in PSO, and that's a huge plus, because the missions in PSU are lackluster, boring. Having such vast areas to be able to do nothing is very nice.

Online, PSU does hold a lot of potential. This is a good thing. I am looking forward to the rounds of updates that will bring us something interesting for a change.

See, the game just came out, and I'm already writing "for a change". That in itself is a problem.

After gathering up a few of the old gang back together on PSU, and partying on with them slightly, we've come to a general consensus that we're bored with what it has to offer right now.

It took us years to agree to that on PSO.

daylight129
Nov 4, 2006, 12:53 AM
I think you should meet up with me Adam. Long time no see.

<---Max

Shinomaru
Nov 4, 2006, 01:04 AM
i swear to go next baka that compares PSO AND PSU is ganna get it im ganna die and hunt them for the rest of their lives.
DO NOT COMPARE A GAME THAT HAD VERSIONS.... TO A GAME THAT IS COMPLETE BUT JUST LOCKED UP FOR REASON i really dont understand but the fact is until sega unlock the game 100% and the expansion that is set to come out im not sure when just saw box art is released. do not compare the 2 games k thx bye

cobfab
Nov 4, 2006, 03:04 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^dude don't get all worked up over people's opinions. The 2 games are comparable. PSO ep1&2 had everything the past PSO had so comparing PSU to ep1&2 is no problem and it's just people's opinions. Yes they have a lot of differences but they also have a lot of similarities. People are just saying PSU is boring to them as it is of now, but are looking forward to future contents.

Genobee
Nov 4, 2006, 03:12 AM
PSU is fun but it's missing all the stupid crap that I loved from PSO, Likw lobby socker and rappies holiday and searching for hallo rappies.

perdition
Nov 4, 2006, 03:18 AM
You can say now with your lvl 100 character and all your badass rares that you like pso better, but I gurantee you when this game gets al those badass rares, and lvl cap is higher you'll be riding PSU harder than PSO. PSU plays extremely similar to PSU and the content is only a matter of time, nonethless if PSU doesn't tickle your fancy PSO is still around.

RamenEater
Nov 4, 2006, 03:27 AM
I just turned on my DC PSO again, and the game really has a nostalgic feeling to it. The music is still awesome, the dungeons are VERY well though out. There are just things in PSO , PSU has yet to offer. PSO is an epic game, i would be able to go back to it anytime. Unless PSU reallly realllllly wows me in the future, i will still be able to see PSO as number 1.

RamenEater
Nov 4, 2006, 03:33 AM
To me, rares didnt make PSO. It was just the sheer genious of the dungeon layout/obstacles/enemies. IT was revolutionary, and PSU should offer no less. Everyone says there is unlocked content, but most of the unlocked content is offline content right? I havent played through the whole offline but can someone tell me if dungeons get more creative?

Things like, lights turning off, pillars falling on you, traps, Round traps fallig on you (ruins), burning holes in the ground, are there such creative things in later dungeons? Cause right now i've played through parum, colony misisons, and they all seem bland.

Callous
Nov 4, 2006, 06:51 AM
Good point, RamenEater. This is another thing that's been eating at me. I'm on the last chapter now, and the level design is just extremely uninspired in PSU. PSO's level design was a masterpiece. There are a few levels later on that sort of reminds you of the PSO brilliance, but they are very, very few. Basically only the Japanese type temple levels really take you back. One even has floor switches you have to find to turn on the light while you're fighting monsters off, I was so happy!

Mostly though, it's what you've seen online. Big open areas with few to no surprises in store. It's like PSO is pure, concentrated goodness while PSU is spread too thin.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Callous on 2006-11-04 04:00 ]</font>

Mystil
Nov 4, 2006, 08:15 AM
PSU recreated the fun and addiction I had when I first logged onto the DC version. Going back to PSO would seem redundant to me. But I will miss doing jungle runs and whooping on Olga.

Now a lot of you must be new to the MMO scene or otherwise there would not be so many complaints about lack of content. These things will take time. ST can no longer just make a quest take the same monsters and dump them in ruins 3 and call it "Rescue Mome". Oh put you up again 2 Olga Flows in 'soul taker' form and call it "Phantasimal World V". Not that simple anymore. Because the characters are server side now, ST has complete control over them. They can make an update that could add more stat categories if they wanted. There's a lot in store for PSU.

Have patience.

FFXI been out for 4 years it only has 3 expansions, and they get updates every 3 months.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2006-11-04 05:23 ]</font>

daylight129
Nov 4, 2006, 08:20 AM
On 2006-11-04 00:33, RamenEater wrote:
To me, rares didnt make PSO. It was just the sheer genious of the dungeon layout/obstacles/enemies. IT was revolutionary, and PSU should offer no less. Everyone says there is unlocked content, but most of the unlocked content is offline content right? I havent played through the whole offline but can someone tell me if dungeons get more creative?

Things like, lights turning off, pillars falling on you, traps, Round traps fallig on you (ruins), burning holes in the ground, are there such creative things in later dungeons? Cause right now i've played through parum, colony misisons, and they all seem bland.

Beat it. It's all the same. There are places where lights turn off and you have to find the button and shit, and there are traps later too. There are also levels in which you can use mounts. They kept all that kinda junk, but my thoughts are not that they left out all of that stuff, but that the pso levels seemed much bigger. They seemed more part of the world, rather than kinda an endless gauntlet of rooms.

Parn
Nov 4, 2006, 08:32 AM
I think some of you just don't like the overall atmosphere or direction the game is taking. PSO's direction was "mystery". The musical style reflected this, and the storyline gave you bits and pieces that you had to put together yourself. PSU's direction is more "adventure". It's handled closer to traditional console RPGs in this regard.

Perhaps some of you will appreciate the game a little more when some additional content gets unlocked. I don't mean just stages, but online missions, including the Episode II storyline that's begun on JP servers. They have wacky music in the game data, so they definitely have something planned. Burning Rangers makes a triumphant return, so I would expect us to be "putting out SEED fires" at some point.

Callous
There are like 2 light switches in the whole game, and like one level with traps. The rest is kidney or liver shaped open areas with different colours (to be a bit brutal). It's not the same at all.

Sev
Listen...

You think PSU is missing something... Because you played it first, and your comparing it to the experience you had on PSO... Which was most likely by the way, one of the first experiences you had with this type of game, let alone any online game. That's about the only possible reason you could feel that way, it was your first, and it holds that special place with your or somethin along those corny ass lines.

In terms of everything except for it being my first online experience, I like PSU ALOT more. When I think about the fact that there's more content coming for the game, I love it even more.

What it's missing is not fun, and not gameplay, but it's missing being something new and unique to you. I'm not saying that it's not new and unique, but to you, it's just PSO 2 it seems, and if you look at it like that then yeah... It's missing something. Where're those goofy translations? The chat symbols? Those are all things that most people probably miss a little bit. I'd say give it some time, and it'll grow on you all the same, but I'm not you, so I can't say that's a sure fact. Just my take on the matter, because I have other friends who feel the same way somewhat, and I KNOW with them that the above is their problem.

Symtex360
Nov 4, 2006, 08:33 AM
I found the boss battle in PSU uninspired. fighting Dark falz or Olga Flow was epic. I can't say the game about PSU boss battle. Even the last encoutner feel like a mix of deja-vu. I have decided to not jump online until ST unlock some of the stuff. Too bad for Sega, They had me at Hello but they blew it.

BluCast20xx
Nov 4, 2006, 08:36 AM
i think they saved that for the S-Rank missions.

Callous
Nov 4, 2006, 08:38 AM
That's another good point. The boss battles are for the most part extremely forgettable. To make it even worse, there's so much design recycling going on with the bosses it's not even funny.

Sev
Nov 4, 2006, 08:43 AM
If you could stand it about PSO...

Olga Flow and Dark Falz were epic... Yeah... The first time. After that it was kinda "Let's hurry up and finish so we can rerun it" just like I do with De Ragan now. I still have alot of fun fighting Onmagoug and Adahna when they're challenging to my level though.

Different strokes for different folks I guess? It's just hard for me to put myself in other peoples shoes, cuz I'm used to looking at everything for what it is, and not what I think it should be or what it is in comparison to something else.

Callous
Nov 4, 2006, 08:51 AM
I don't see it that way at all. I got excited every single time I met Olga, Vol Opt and Falz. The 1000th time, too. Hell, most of the bosses got me going. And they were much less "samey". In PSU it's pretty much all: Big open area, big monster that is either humanoid or dragon, stays in one form and doesn't require much thinking outside of "hit it hard a lot".

Olga, Falz, Vol Opt and most of the PSO bosses were distinctly different and had a very varied range of attack modes, forms and arenas in which to beat them. Someone had given them some serious thought.

Symtex360
Nov 4, 2006, 09:03 AM
On 2006-11-04 05:43, Sev wrote:
If you could stand it about PSO...

Olga Flow and Dark Falz were epic... Yeah... The first time. After that it was kinda "Let's hurry up and finish so we can rerun it" just like I do with De Ragan now. I still have alot of fun fighting Onmagoug and Adahna when they're challenging to my level though.

Different strokes for different folks I guess? It's just hard for me to put myself in other peoples shoes, cuz I'm used to looking at everything for what it is, and not what I think it should be or what it is in comparison to something else.

Dark Falz was certainly an awesome fight on Ultimate that requires coordination and strategy. I haven't seen any of that online so far. I am hoping that they are more forms to thoses boss battle that will make me sweat a little.

cobfab
Nov 4, 2006, 10:07 AM
They need to have 2 or 3 boss for you to fight at a time. 6 people ganging on 1 boss is way to easy.

Tystys
Nov 4, 2006, 10:19 AM
On 2006-11-04 05:33, Symtex360 wrote:
I found the boss battle in PSU uninspired. fighting Dark falz or Olga Flow was epic. I can't say the game about PSU boss battle. Even the last encoutner feel like a mix of deja-vu. I have decided to not jump online until ST unlock some of the stuff. Too bad for Sega, They had me at Hello but they blew it.

Now this I will agree with. I love PSU to death, but the boss battles just don't feel the same anymore. I remember when people would leave parties just because we were about to fight FALZ, O_O.

Not to mention the fact that everything is handled server side. Makes things a bit harder to keep track of(IE Damage given/Damage Taken), but really, those are the only things I find a little bit off with the game.