PDA

View Full Version : the state of PSU : The new Everquest 2

Symtex360
Nov 4, 2006, 12:32 AM
the state of PSU : The new Everquest 2

Now that everyone has had hands-on experience online and offline with PSU,
I come to the conclusion that Phantasy Star Universe is the new Everquest 2.

Just like Everquest 1, Sega had a very succesfull paying fanbase for a extended period of time. So when Sega decided to launch a new chapter in the series, They ask themself :"how can we create this new IP without anhilating our exisiting fanbase ?". Phantasy Star Universe was born.

Very much like Everquest 2, PSU has improved on the amount of grinding necessary to advance in the game. It's very much vanilla compare to it's predecessor. They are trying to gain a new market : The casual. The player that only logs a few hours and still want a certain reward at the end of his play period.

It's is still too soon to see if the game will continue to evolved in the same direction. It too many players quit PSO :BB in favor of PSU, we might see a change in the difficulty of the content that is provided to the online players.

So what is the future hold for us ? I can see the the franchise moving towards the crafting system. Rares drop are going to be rare ingredient and boards. You want a rare weapon, make it but carefull not to fail your synthesis. Unfortunely the offline player are getting the short hand of the stick. The number of rare a ridiculously limited and only offer a litte taste of what could be the network mode. It's rather dissapointed but understandable.

PSU is the new Everquest 2.

Xeveous
Nov 4, 2006, 12:34 AM
PSU is by sega
EQ is by SOE(Sony)
thanks for trying.

Symtex360
Nov 4, 2006, 12:41 AM
On 2006-11-03 21:34, Xeveous wrote:
PSU is by sega
EQ is by SOE(Sony)
thanks for trying.

EQ --- > EQ2 ? Pso --> PSU....I thought I was clear...Maybe I wasn't. Sega is pulling a Sony on us. that is what I was trying to say.

happy_cricket
Nov 4, 2006, 12:41 AM
It amazes me how many people feel the need to declare this game a failure in the first week. Is it that important to you to be the first of the naysayers?

Symtex360
Nov 4, 2006, 12:42 AM
On 2006-11-03 21:41, Symtex360 wrote:

PSU is by sega
EQ is by SOE(Sony)
thanks for trying.

EQ --- > EQ2 , Pso --> PSU....I thought I was clear...Maybe I wasn't. Sega is pulling a Sony on us. that is what I was trying to say.

Realmz
Nov 4, 2006, 12:43 AM
"hay guys we havn't even seen most of the actual meat of the game yet, lets say what the game is"

oh wait..

HiKeRI
Nov 4, 2006, 12:56 AM
Symtex = Retarded, remind me to kill you some other time, since im here now, first you should not compare a crappy game like Everquest with PSU, and if your that desperate for Sega to update, go get laid or something, don't you have a life instead of whining about something you can't change?

daylight129
Nov 4, 2006, 12:57 AM
Maybe all this talk of "Just be patient for the updates! There's so much we don't have!" is false hope http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 4, 2006, 12:58 AM
PSO was always intended for casual play.

Xeveous
Nov 4, 2006, 01:00 AM
On 2006-11-03 21:41, Symtex360 wrote:

PSU is by sega
EQ is by SOE(Sony)
thanks for trying.

EQ --- > EQ2 ? Pso --> PSU....I thought I was clear...Maybe I wasn't. Sega is pulling a Sony on us. that is what I was trying to say.

Uh DUUUUUUUUUUR its called a sequel numbnuts,get a life.

PS: D E E D E E D E E

HiKeRI
Nov 4, 2006, 01:02 AM
On 2006-11-03 21:57, daylight129 wrote:
Maybe all this talk of "Just be patient for the updates! There's so much we don't have!" is false hope http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Can't be false hope when the game is not even finished, and its nearly started, what did you expected for new mmo's to be?

NickKicken
Nov 4, 2006, 01:03 AM
Damn you Sega! Why would you even THINK of trying to improve upon a game in the form of another!?

You'ff def see time in hell for this one...

HiKeRI
Nov 4, 2006, 01:07 AM
On 2006-11-03 22:03, NickKicken wrote:
Damn you Sega! Why would you even THINK of trying to improve upon a game in the form of another!?

You'ff def see time in hell for this one...

They wanted something new and creative, there has been too much PSO's they knew they needed to finish and start something different, just wait and see what SEGA has on mind for PSU's future, right now im loving the game by just hanging around and that's what i wanted all along.

Jinto117
Nov 4, 2006, 01:09 AM
Gamespot gave PSU a 6.8. That aint so good. I think Sega should of pushed back this game longer.

NickKicken
Nov 4, 2006, 01:11 AM
Ya know I'm being sarcastic right?

If you do, then maybe I can't tell cause I'm really tired.

Xeveous
Nov 4, 2006, 01:13 AM
On 2006-11-03 22:11, NickKicken wrote:

You are posting in forums,we cant hear,or see you,not easy to tell..

Kanore
Nov 4, 2006, 01:35 AM
On 2006-11-03 22:09, Jinto117 wrote:
Gamespot gave PSU a 6.8. That aint so good. I think Sega should of pushed back this game longer.

It's an online game where more than half of the projected content isn't released, of course it's going to get a halved score. People fail to realize this.

Genobee
Nov 4, 2006, 01:46 AM
On 2006-11-03 22:09, Jinto117 wrote:

it's better then what PSO got.

Also every MMO sux in the beginng go ahead and try to name an MMO that had it's peak of game play and popularity at the beginning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-11-03 22:48 ]</font>

Flame
Nov 4, 2006, 02:03 AM
I wont. But PSO recieved an 8.2 from gamespot. The GC version received a 7.8. So. . . you're wrong?

NickKicken
Nov 4, 2006, 02:27 AM
On 2006-11-03 22:13, Xeveous wrote:

On 2006-11-03 22:11, NickKicken wrote:

You are posting in forums,we cant hear,or see you,not easy to tell..

Just thought the whole "saying they would spend time in hell thing" would sway people into the sarcastic state of mind http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AugustWest
Nov 4, 2006, 02:28 AM
It's an online game where more than half of the projected content isn't released, of course it's going to get a halved score. People fail to realize this.

People do realize that there is not much content, that is why it receives low scores.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AugustWest on 2006-11-03 23:33 ]</font>

bobfish
Nov 4, 2006, 02:28 AM
You forgot to mention EQ2 has more subscribers than any other SOE game at the moment... I won't complain if PSU gets that popular.

Saikyn
Nov 4, 2006, 02:46 AM
PSU is by sega
EQ is by SOE(Sony)
thanks for trying.

I love you for saying that, I was going to write the exact same thing til I saw your post 2nd down. I might have to kill you since we can't have two of the same witty mofo's here! =P

Ether
Nov 4, 2006, 02:48 AM
This topic fails for saying PSU has less grinding that PSO

perdition
Nov 4, 2006, 02:56 AM
Not everyone wants a game that will drain your soul. PSO is very similar to PSU and PSO wasn't some all ending Grand game to start with. Pso ep I & II and III were cool, but after a while it ran out of content and was inferior to many other online multiplaer gaming experiences because it was one of the first games of the genre. I don't knock Sega for trying to improve on the series remember this isn't Phantasy star online ep 4 it's PSU.

Mystil
Nov 4, 2006, 09:10 AM
On 2006-11-03 21:58, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
PSO was always intended for casual play.

And this is the way it should be, even for MMOs. Life is precious and shouldn't be wasted on a game. A certain MMO out there has players who will bark at another player when he/she annouces that he/she has to go. There's no wait time with PSU/PSO. You can pick the game up and play.

So again, that's how it should be.

Puppet_Papaya
Nov 4, 2006, 10:46 AM
But PSO recieved an 8.2 from gamespot.
And Gamespot is most cirtainly GOD. Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem at all with this argument if all participants were actually forming their own opinions.

AeraLure
Nov 4, 2006, 10:53 AM
The only problem I see is the game launched with way too little in terms of online content. Its so bland and so generic online with no links to a story, colorful NPCs or anything at all really. Doesnt mean its not coming in a future update, but so far PSO offered way more online than PSU offers online at the moment. Never thought I would say that and I am quite surprised actually (I purposefully kept myself in the dark on the goings on of PSU JP so I would be surprised). I am lol. Hoping for more in the future, but concerned if it doesnt come in enough quantity in a month or two those causal gamers will move on leaving us hardcore PSO addicts playing.

Anyway, that's not to say I amd not enjoying it. I am. I just understand where criticisms are coming from and realize my love of PSO gives me a bias that allows me to overlook shortcomings so far in PSU online contant. Its a great start, a great base, a fun new battle system etc. Just there is nothing wrong with people saying it needed more. Heck, biased as I am even I can see that.