PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Version is Unplayable

PhantasyK2
Nov 4, 2006, 12:55 PM
Seriously.

If you have put any amount of time in with the PS2 version you know what I am talking about.

I've tried all the suggestions:

-Direct connect to cable modem
-Servers with less Stars (i.e. 15)
-Limit the party size

Unless you enjoy playing in Bullet Time (SUPER SLOW MO) then run as fast as you can from the PS2 version.

Guess I'll pick up the PC version and run it with low detail - at least it won't look any different than the low res I'm used to with the PS2 version.

Thanks for nothing, Sega. There should be a disclaimer on the box about how sluggish online play is.

MaKaVeLi_X
Nov 4, 2006, 12:56 PM
yes, Im dissapointed, Im bieng left behind of pc users because i load slower into areas and things like that. Then when we are in the middle of a mob i cannot attack. I might make some pc upgrades and download it. =/

Roken
Nov 4, 2006, 12:59 PM
hmm...

Haruka-sama
Nov 4, 2006, 01:00 PM
It can't be that bad can it? I watched a video on youtube of someone playing the ps2 version and it didn't seem to awful... I was planning on getting it for ps2 because I can't afford to upgrade my computer @_@;;; *worry

PhantasyK2
Nov 4, 2006, 01:00 PM
Yes - it's pretty pathetic - Monsters will have loaded already and be almost dead before they 'show up' (textures load) on the PS2 version.

MaKaVeLi_X
Nov 4, 2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah forgot about that.... IF 6 people are in a game and you start an area, everyone will be fighting guys while i sit there and watch them swing around and im like WTF are theydoing.... then a minute later monsters load.

PhantasyK2
Nov 4, 2006, 01:02 PM
Haruka - don't waste your money on PS2 version. It's awesome in the very beginning - you think to yourself, "Wow! This is great! I don't know what people are complaining about!"

UNTIL you get off of the Guardian Colony and then slowly you start to notice things aren't quite moving a nicely as they should. Then you find yourself in a 6 person party on Neudaiz or in the Mines on Parum and it's SUPER SLOW MO time.

Very crummy.

PhantasyK2
Nov 4, 2006, 01:04 PM
MaKa - 100% correct. Everyone is swinging away at thin air and then the Mighty PS2 version finally loads the enemies and they are dead.

As a Force my spells don't even load right away - they are ghosted out for a full 5-10 seconds - ridiculous.

KazeSin
Nov 4, 2006, 01:05 PM
quit complaining, i play ps2 version, im lv. 46 already way past the lvls of all my Pc friends. Im always first in areas etc. Ps2 isnt as bad as this guy says it is.

CaptainJebus
Nov 4, 2006, 01:07 PM
Ive been playing Ps2 since day one, and well the worse lag I got I was still able to play, and ive been to all the missions so far so ehh. =/

Garnet_Moon
The PS2 version is fine. Stop crying.

My Force class is level 7 and I can aim even when there are like 10 mobs and 6 party members on my screen. Button mash? What's that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-04 10:09 ]</font>

Katachi
Stop crying. The ps2 is playable. I've got 80 hours in already on PSU and I haven't had any problems with lag. I played in a few 6 person parties but on either version, there aren't enough monsters to give everyone something to do, so I cap parties at 3-4 people.

PhantasyK2
On 2006-11-04 10:05, KazeSin wrote:
quit complaining, i play ps2 version, im lv. 46 already way past the lvls of all my Pc friends. Im always first in areas etc. Ps2 isnt as bad as this guy says it is.

If you bothered to read the thread I'm not the only one complaining.

What char class are you? I'm guessing a Hunter since you probably just button mash your way through the PS2 lag...

Razorback
Nov 4, 2006, 01:09 PM
LOL X360 version is fine! thats what you get for going the cheap route!

PhantasyK2
Nov 4, 2006, 01:13 PM
I'm a level 17 Force and have been through all the Missions also.

PS2 players that say there is no lag are flat out lying - they have learned to settle for mediocrity.

My intent in starting this thread is to warn anyone who is thinking about going the PS2 route - stay far, far, far away.

Haruka-sama
Nov 4, 2006, 01:14 PM
On 2006-11-04 10:09, Razorback wrote:
LOL X360 version is fine! thats what you get for going the cheap route!

you know, not everyone can go buy a new system just for one game o.O I'm glad there are people playing ps2 version here who aren't having as much of an issue though =D I hope these problems are just exaggerated

does the slowness cause you to die a lot or do you just miss out on killing some stuff? I remember in PSO< those horse monsters in ruins would kill you and then a few seconds later you'd hear a horse sound and see it standing over you...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Haruka-sama on 2006-11-04 10:16 ]</font>

PhantasyK2
Nov 4, 2006, 01:15 PM
They are not exaggerated - you tell yourself you can live with it but the sluggishness in 4-6 people parties or when a lot of effects are going on is just horrible.

Why pay monthly for that kind of crud?

Zaiden
Nov 4, 2006, 01:16 PM
PS2 version is fine. Yes, Slowdown is annoying, but its painless and doesn't last for long.

Plus, why do you think people play on the PS2 instead of the PC? I have a computer that can't run many games and lags alot during the ones I can run. PSU would be aweful on it. So I'd rather have some slowdown than constant lag everwhere.

You do have the option for the PC version if your not happy with the PS2 PSU. Complaining on the forums won't do you any good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zaiden on 2006-11-04 10:19 ]</font>

PhantasyK2
Nov 4, 2006, 01:17 PM
On 2006-11-04 10:16, Zaiden wrote:
PS2 version is fine. Yes, Slowdown is annoying, but its painless and doesn't last for long. If your not happy with the PS2 version, get the PC version and quit complaining.

It's a free country, Brother.

If I save someone from wasting $$ on the PS2 version then my speaking the truth (errr...'complaining') is well worth it.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 4, 2006, 01:19 PM
On 2006-11-04 10:17, PhantasyK2 wrote:

PS2 version is fine. Yes, Slowdown is annoying, but its painless and doesn't last for long. If your not happy with the PS2 version, get the PC version and quit complaining.

If I save someone from wasting $$ on the PS2 version then my speaking the truth (errr...'complaining') is well worth it.

Truth or not you're still crying. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In fact it makes me feel better when I go into bullet time when the room first spawns. I feel like i'm a God or something. >:3

Katachi
Nov 4, 2006, 01:22 PM
On 2006-11-04 10:15, PhantasyK2 wrote:
They are not exaggerated - you tell yourself you can live with it but the sluggishness in 4-6 people parties or when a lot of effects are going on is just horrible.

Why pay monthly for that kind of crud?

Because it's cheaper than dropping $300 on a new system/computer, only to have people like you whine and complain about something else. It's a great game for 50 bucks for a 6 year old system. Stop being so spoiiled.

If you don't like the slowdown, play in smaller parties, or on different servers.

Diablohead
Nov 4, 2006, 01:25 PM
I was playing with a mate on the ps2 version last night and apart from his loading taking about 2-3 seconds longer per block, he was shooting mobs in time with the rest of us, my pc gets the odd slowdown when in a busy area and yet again he was keeping up.

how old is your ps2? old ones can have disk head problems by now.

Zaiden
Nov 4, 2006, 01:27 PM
On 2006-11-04 10:17, PhantasyK2 wrote:

The original post makes it sound like the whole game is nothing but slow down and "Bullet Time". If you wanted to help someone from wasting money, you could say to get the PC version IF they have the option isntead of PS2 PSU. Just flat out saying that the PS2 version is a waste of money isn't helping. It could turn people away from the game if thats the only way to play they have.

I respect your opinion though. Just throwing mine out too.

2Deuce
Nov 4, 2006, 01:29 PM
Wow... people whine a lot...

"Unplayable" is an extreme exaggeration, it's not that bad. If you are the last to enter the area, then you might miss out on the first 5 mobs, big deal.

The only time I get any kind of noticeable slowdown is if I've got 5-6 people in the party and a lot of enemies on screen, and even then, it's still not that bad. If it's such a big thing, then say out of full parties, you can pretty much solo through this game if you wanted...

PhantasyK2
Nov 4, 2006, 01:33 PM
Ive already tried all of the suggestions here - but thanks anyway.

I really don't understand the logic of "Don't take advantage of the games features" if you don't like it. 4-6 person parties are obviously an issue on the PS2 and Sega should have been up front about it, IMO. At the very least they should have enabled a set party max feature instead of having people hop around from party to party.

And to whomever said 'just solo' instead of party that's almost laughable.

The one thing that has been mentioned that DOES make perfect sense; however, is the person who gave the advice of putting info out there to choose the PC version as an alternative to the PS2 rather than just bagging the PS2.

Roken
Nov 4, 2006, 01:41 PM
I'm planning on playing online sometime in December... can someone put a video or link me to a video on youtube that's being played PS2 online ? And also a dsl+ connection ?

Xbob
Nov 4, 2006, 01:47 PM
On 2006-11-04 10:19, Garnet_Moon wrote:
Truth or not you're still crying. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In fact it makes me feel better when I go into bullet time when the room first spawns. I feel like i'm a God or something. >:3

Quite possibly the greatest sugar coating I've ever seen. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Arias
Nov 4, 2006, 01:55 PM
On 2006-11-04 10:13, PhantasyK2 wrote:

PS2 players that say there is no lag are flat out lying - they have learned to settle for mediocrity.

My intent in starting this thread is to warn anyone who is thinking about going the PS2 route - stay far, far, far away.

Screw all of you (except for the supporters of PS2) (no actual offense)

Since my PC couldn't handle it, i got a superb state PS2 cheap, so I can play PSU + Online.
You all made me afraid of it being UBERworse.

Thank god there are people like Garnet_Moon, Zaiden, Katachi, 2Deuce, and others (sry didn't put your names in http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) who say the game is still great.

For Phantasy2K, aren't you overreacting? Unplayable...that's going too far.
Nothing is worse than the lag on PSO, and it was very playable.

I can't afford myself a new console, let alone upgrades for a computer. I just GOT a NEW PS2, and don't hate it.

Thanks to you other guys, for giving me good faith in the PS2 console running PSU

Tystys
Nov 4, 2006, 01:56 PM
So stop playing the PS2 version.

Simple as that.

Stop complaining on a forum because your PS2 sucks.

I feel better now.

Wubbie
Nov 4, 2006, 01:56 PM
I'm a level 30 Ranger and I have encountered slow down, yes... But it's not that bad...

I also have an 18 Force... I've clocked over 100 hours, it's perfectly playable.

Hidoshi
Nov 4, 2006, 02:12 PM
I have a sincerely difficult time believing the PS2's hardware limitations would be tested by PSU. While a fine looking game to be sure, put it side by side with its contemporary FFXII and it's easy to see which one would test the boundaries.

Sorry, this just doesn't make sense of the whole. There must be something else wrong going down here, like faulty discs or Sega's PS2 servers being slow.

Genobee
Nov 4, 2006, 02:14 PM
What do you Expect the PS2 is an arcatic peaice of junk, when trying to play online.

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 4, 2006, 02:16 PM
I have ps2 version and it works just fine. and if we did settle for mediocrity, then I don't think its a bad thing or whatever.

Hidoshi
Nov 4, 2006, 02:17 PM
On 2006-11-04 11:14, Genobee wrote:
What do you Expect the PS2 is an arcatic peaice of junk, when trying to play online.

Could you please take your fanboy penis and tuck it back in your pants? That'd be greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat. *sips coffee*

And it's spelled "archaic" for God's sake.

Tystys
Nov 4, 2006, 02:18 PM
I'm starting to like this Hidoshi guy.

TO bad he was lurking for like 5 years lol

Hidoshi
Nov 4, 2006, 02:19 PM
Shh. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Yeah, I think I signed up back when Parn was bugging me to play PSO (which I did in limited quantities online). Figured I should start posting, seeing as I had a board account.

Haruka-sama
Nov 4, 2006, 02:19 PM
On 2006-11-04 10:55, Arias wrote:

For Phantasy2K, aren't you overreacting? Unplayable...that's going too far.
Nothing is worse than the lag on PSO, and it was very playable.

Aha, thanks for another opinion =) If the slowdown is less then (or even as much as) the lagging on PSO, then no problem! It got pretty bad sometimes (lag bombs in battle mode were fun), but it didn't bother me much, and from what I gather from other posts here it seems like the main problem is the monsters loading when you first enter a new area, is that right? Someone in this thread (I forget your name) said that you might miss the first 5 mobs or so, but if that's it, then it doesn't seem so bad as long as you can catch up later.
I found this video on youtube of someone playing the PS2 version and you can see it skipping a beat now and then, but otherwise it looks pretty smooth, at least to me.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5cJjjaZmyWU

Genobee
Nov 4, 2006, 02:21 PM
On 2006-11-04 11:17, Hidoshi wrote:

Could you please take your fanboy penis and tuck it back in your pants? That'd be greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat. *sips coffee*

And it's spelled "archaic" for God's sake.

O jeez the fucking hard ware is 6 years old, Technology should only last 3 years tops. it's a dinosuar compared to today.

Azure247
Nov 4, 2006, 02:23 PM
I bought the ps2 version and I think it is terrible compared to pc version. And yes, I now play pc version. PS2 just slow down when a pack of mob appear when your in a 6 player party and then somehow your rod gets into your right hand only and it wont let you attack at all for a couple seconds. I hate it...

Hidoshi
Nov 4, 2006, 02:24 PM
Funny. My Game Boy from back in the 80's still works.

Look, I'm not going to get into a contest with you on this topic, because it's obvious you're not going to be moved in your opinion, however short-sighted it is. The fact remains that PSU is not a game which would test the PS2's graphical capabilities, considering its library includes titles like FFXII,the Prince of Persia games, and God of War. Something else has to be going on.

Tystys
Nov 4, 2006, 02:25 PM
The PS2 is not a piece of junk, asshole. It's one of the longer lasting first generation consoles, considering three pretty important RPGs were released this month.

FFXII, PSU and .hack//GU

Valius
Nov 4, 2006, 02:26 PM
It's slow but I haven't had any major complaints... but that's just me.

Tystys
Nov 4, 2006, 02:28 PM
I know this is off topic, but what is that awesome sprite in your sig, Valius?

Genobee
Nov 4, 2006, 02:38 PM
On 2006-11-04 11:25, Tystys wrote:
The PS2 is not a piece of junk, asshole. It's one of the longer lasting first generation consoles, considering three pretty important RPGs were released this month.

FFXII, PSU and .hack//GU

Ok your oviously and idiot cause I'm talking about online play, FF12 and .hack aren't online. PSU on ps2 is having problems.

Valius
Nov 4, 2006, 02:43 PM
On 2006-11-04 11:28, Tystys wrote:
I know this is off topic, but what is that awesome sprite in your sig, Valius?

Dygenguar from Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2.

Kano-Okami
Nov 4, 2006, 02:45 PM
Well, I'm between a rock and a hardplace in this delima.

I got PSU for the PS2, and I'm already seeing "the lag bomb" on a regular basis, when battle heats up the most.
The thing is, I don't really have the option of switching to pc because my laptop is far below the requirements, and the main pcs that I use to get the net are at my school (which don't allow installations).

I could always use my parents pc but thats putting a strain on everyone and I doubt even that one meets PSU's standards, which means shoveling out more money, on top of buying a PC version.
Economically, PS2 is my best bet for playing PSU online. Because even If I did upgrade my upgrade my pc and bought the PC version, theres still no gareentees that it won't lag like the PS2 version. And even during PS2 lag, it never last more then 1 or 2 minutes, Max.

Pashune
Nov 4, 2006, 02:54 PM
I don't have a PS2, nor do I intend on getting one anytime soon; same applies to the PS3. I've just never had any luck with Sony's consoles whatsoever. But, onto the topic at hand; If you're thinking your PC WON'T be able to handle PSU, the system requirements for it may be a bit misleading. My CPU is an AMD @ 1.6 ghz (Bare minumum), though my Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 @ 128 MB; A VERY crappy video card by today's gaming standards, and yet I'm able to run PSU at a slick 30 fps all with normal settings; with occasional frame rate stutter, but that's expected; but I don't have a clue how it would run in the multiplayer mode...

Xbob
Nov 4, 2006, 02:58 PM
Online actually runs a bit smoother than offline for me, though I get 60FPS almost everywhere, except for that stupid SNEER expression.

Arias
Nov 4, 2006, 03:01 PM

I just read another topic where you posted Genobee.
This is what you wrote:

UM yea your compelety wrong. WoW was relased as a full game and the updates are add on, where as PSU is all there adn we can't play it. WHich is compeletely bullshit, It's just so that Sega can acommmedate fucking PS2 and all it's crappyness. So in fact nothing will be new just stuff we can play now. It's kinda like driving a car with 1 wheel

You do like to bitch about everything don't yah.
Leave PS2 alone. The poor console can't help itself being 6years old. Again the same thing about stopping time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Aaaaaaaaaywho, to Azure 247, wel ofcourse the PC version is better than the PS2, you can keep updating the PC, you can't the PS2, the thing is (again) 6years old!
so DUH ofcourse the PS2 is slower than the PC.
But you shouldv'e known before that the PS2 version would run slower than the PC version, it's your fault you chose the PS2 version first.

And Finally, as Hidoshi said, the PS2 can run great games as God Of War, I agree with him that there must be something else must be going on, listen to this: YOUR PS2 IS 6 YEARS OLD!!! or 5 or 4, but it's OLD, My brother's Gamecube died after 4-5years, we have a newer one now, and you can't believe how smooth it is... You can find a very cheap PS2 on Ebay, just saying...way cheaper than changing ocnsoles or buying updates for your PC

deltron3030
Nov 4, 2006, 03:11 PM
I'm on the PS2 version and it isn't as bad as the OP portrays.

Dante_Fried
Nov 4, 2006, 03:11 PM
I know this probably doesn't matter, but for me.... I'm used to being laggy in online games. I have that bad luck and I deal with it. And BTW people thanks so much for giving me so much "hope" for going online with the PS2 version (I don't have my own computer that could run PSU and I dislike XBOX and 360, so I'm stuck with, or rather I'm happy to have PS2 PSU).

Kano-Okami
Nov 4, 2006, 03:14 PM
On 2006-11-04 11:54, Pashune wrote:
I don't have a PS2, nor do I intend on getting one anytime soon; same applies to the PS3. I've just never had any luck with Sony's consoles whatsoever. But, onto the topic at hand; If you're thinking your PC WON'T be able to handle PSU, the system requirements for it may be a bit misleading. My CPU is an AMD @ 1.6 ghz (Bare minumum), though my Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 @ 128 MB; A VERY crappy video card by today's gaming standards, and yet I'm able to run PSU at a slick 30 fps all with normal settings; with occasional frame rate stutter, but that's expected; but I don't have a clue how it would run in the multiplayer mode...

Seriously?
Then I think I will get PSU for my pc. I even have a Logtech ps2 controller, so I won't have to adjust (too much).

Xbob
Nov 4, 2006, 03:15 PM
I use a PS2 controller. USB adapter is teh pwn. I have all the benefits of the console version on a better machine. I'd prefer a Gamecube Wavebird controller, but I am saving up all my spare cash that doesn't go to rent to get something special.

BloodDragoon
Nov 4, 2006, 03:20 PM
Either there is a problem with your PS2 or network connection or you're grossly exaggerating your problems. I play on the PS2 version and rarely encounter slowdown in game with 4 or less people in them.

Lazygirl313
Nov 4, 2006, 03:29 PM
My biggest annoyance with this topic is people constantly throwing the words "whining" and "crying." How long have you people been on the net for? Do you not know what REAL crying is? This guy is complaining because he shelled out 50 for a game that should by all means be more (not gameplay, not lame sound, glitches that effect gameplay). Now, Arias pasted some quote from some guy. That quote was more on the whining side, but not quite there yet.

MaKaVeLi_X
Nov 4, 2006, 03:32 PM
Its not crying, And blood dragon wow no lag with 4 people or less? Is that supposed to be good? Yeah thats with me to , THis game has 6 PEOPLE partys so why cant i play with a 6 people party if i want to? Thats why i bought the game. So just because i have a ps2 I have to play with less then 4. Fun

Miphesto
Nov 4, 2006, 03:36 PM
LOL@ all you ps2 fanboys for hating on us 360 fanboys for ever and ever

Flamingo99
Nov 4, 2006, 03:37 PM
I'm rather dissapointed as well. Weapons take a lot longer to load compared to the PC version. I'll be running around with a Cane trying to cast resta for 10 seconds (May seem insignificant, but it is a long time) before I can cast the spell. By that time, someone in my party is already dead.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flamingo99 on 2006-11-04 12:37 ]</font>

Kano-Okami
Nov 4, 2006, 03:41 PM
On 2006-11-04 12:36, Miphesto wrote:
LOL@ all you ps2 fanboys for hating on us 360 fanboys for ever and ever

Our PC friends can take our screencaps.
What you got? http://graphics3.gaiaonline.com/images/template/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Viper472X
Nov 4, 2006, 03:45 PM
Its not that bad, massive PA spamming causes a little slow, but no LAG per say..I'm fine with it.

Faendryl
Nov 4, 2006, 03:47 PM
Even the 360 has stuttering in 6 person groups on many levels. Sometimes when there is lots of mobs and 6 people it makes it very difficult for me to aim spells as a force..

This is in hi-def widescreen resolutions though, btw. I haven't bothered running in lower resolutions to check if it speeds up(much like tomb raider legends).

I feel the 360 version is poorly optimized, though otherwise the game feels like it is running 30+ fps, sometimes as smooth as 60.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 4, 2006, 03:52 PM
For me, the PS2's slowness is usually only bad when I first go to the Relics. I simply miss a few monsters while I wait for them to load. And sometimes I need to wait a few seconds for my guns to load when I switch them. If I switch to a saber/gun combo, I can instantly flail an 'empty fist' about for some damage while my gun loads.

The in-game slowdown though, like when six people fight a dragon or an assload of monsters, the drops in framerate aren't that bad. It's slowdown in its most harmless and (somewhat) tolerable form. They don't decrease game difficulty like in some 'shmup' like Gradius or Shikigami no Shiro by giving significantly more time to eact to things, nor do they make gaming a pain in the ass like an FPS on a ten-year-old computer (like an Armored Core radar with a lousy refresh rate).

Sure, it can get a little annoying, but the game is far from unplayable and the problems aren't even that prevalent.

Oh, I almost forgot, character models in the lobbies take FOREVER to load...but I neer really cared about that anyway. I'm just glad to see so many people at once on a game that doesn't play like utter trash.

Kano-Okami
Nov 4, 2006, 03:54 PM
So..in essence...PC version FTW..?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2006-11-04 13:01 ]</font>

Aberu
Nov 4, 2006, 04:07 PM
On 2006-11-04 11:38, Genobee wrote:

On 2006-11-04 11:25, Tystys wrote:

FFXII, PSU and .hack//GU

Ok your oviously and idiot cause I'm talking about online play, FF12 and .hack aren't online. PSU on ps2 is having problems.

Have you ever played Socom online? Almost lagless. Too bad they had hackers and crap. Since it couldn't be updated that was a problem. FFXI looks better than PSU by almost all accounts, and is a persistent world, technically and MMO whereas PSU is not. PSU by all accounts should have no problems running on the PS2. It is some problem with how they coded the game. I have a Radeon X1600 512 MB video card. If I set the game to 1024x768 I start getting major lag in any mission. Does not make any fucking sense at all. I think they made the game on the X-Box 360 and just ported it elsewhere, so it's causing a lot of system lag issues.

OgSoulja
Nov 4, 2006, 04:40 PM
On 2006-11-04 09:55, PhantasyK2 wrote:
Seriously.

If you have put any amount of time in with the PS2 version you know what I am talking about.

-Limit the party size

Unless you enjoy playing in Bullet Time (SUPER SLOW MO) then run as fast as you can from the PS2 version.

Guess I'll pick up the PC version and run it with low detail - at least it won't look any different than the low res I'm used to with the PS2 version.

Thanks for nothing, Sega. There should be a disclaimer on the box about how sluggish online play is.

My ps2 hasnt gotten any slowdowns, id suggest you check your router its that or your connection is rather slow.

Blueblur
Nov 4, 2006, 04:42 PM
If it plays so bad on the PS2, that kind of defeats the purpose of making the game for that platform.

Tystys
Nov 4, 2006, 04:56 PM
But that's the problem, it doesn't play THAT bad.

People only think of it that way because they are so used to those high end graphics and shit.

And don't call me an idiot when you can't even spell "an" right, Genobee

Wheatpenny
Nov 4, 2006, 04:59 PM
Um I play on PS2 and there are numberous occasions where I get into missions before everyone else..

Hidoshi
Nov 4, 2006, 05:09 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the system setup. My PC is ill-suited to run any game. 256mbs of RAM, 1.6 GHz, and an old nVidia TI from two years ago. Guess what? No lag. I run on normal settings and things are fine. The only time I get lag is due to connectivity issues. I think any and all lag problems so far have nothing to do with the actual platform, but are due to Sega needing to upgrade their servers.

Hi WoW weeks 1-3. I see you've had children.

Kano-Okami
Its not that we're graphic hounds, its just the game slows down worse then fighting barba ray with Techniques on the gamecube.
Frequently.
Its not a death sentence but I when it slows down that bad when I'm playing offline often, online will be worse, and I don't want to go through that.
Maybe I'm just the only one..

Hustler_One
On 2006-11-04 10:13, PhantasyK2 wrote:

Not so much settling for mediocrity as it is accepting imperfection.

I play PS2... it's very playable.

Does it lag? - Yes

Do I sometimes find myself unable to attack? - Yes

Do I sometimes find myself watching teamates attacking non-existant creatures? - Yes

Is it annoying? - You better believe it.

Is it PLAYABLE? - Very much so.

Yea you get a lot of weird things like creatures that can't be seen, can't attack stuff ETC. But it doesnt really rank as one of my major problems with the game.

I do plan on swtiching to PC when possible. Untill then I will deal with my slightly laggy, but still very playable PS2 version.

xzeekzx
Nov 4, 2006, 05:33 PM
lag makes me feel special... Bullet mode=kick ass. Plain and simple. enjoy it ps2 players http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif i know i am

Pashune
Nov 4, 2006, 05:33 PM
On 2006-11-04 12:15, Xbob wrote:
I use a PS2 controller. USB adapter is teh pwn. I have all the benefits of the console version on a better machine. I'd prefer a Gamecube Wavebird controller, but I am saving up all my spare cash that doesn't go to rent to get something special.

I've got one of those Game Elements Recoil PC controllers; has the same button layout as the PS2 controller, and even the pressure sensitive buttons..atleast..the instruction manual says so.. o.o

BloodDragoon
Nov 4, 2006, 05:37 PM
Slowdown and Lag are non existant on this game when compared to doing besieged in FFXI. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Genobee
Nov 4, 2006, 05:39 PM
On 2006-11-04 13:56, Tystys wrote:
But that's the problem, it doesn't play THAT bad.

People only think of it that way because they are so used to those high end graphics and shit.

And don't call me an idiot when you can't even spell "an" right, Genobee

O ok so poking at my vocabulary makes you compeltely right? O ok thanks for clearing that up.

daylight129
Nov 4, 2006, 05:39 PM
It's nothing worse than what happened in Seabed on GC. You are honestly exxagerating if you think it is that bad. Being on the PS2 I know what everyone is talking about with the lag and stuff but truly 50% of it is your connection speed. And it's different for everyone. I go to all the open planets and the lag even in 6 person parties is never as bad as you make it out to be. There are times when monsters have a load time but it's nothing to bitch about, it only happens when you first appear on the scene in a mission. It never happens mid mission. I have PSU Ps2, and I am enjoying myself just as much as probably an pc user.

Genobee
Nov 4, 2006, 05:43 PM
I never noticed any slow down in PSO Xbox.... probly because Game cube is a POS of equipment too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-11-04 14:49 ]</font>

daylight129
Nov 4, 2006, 05:46 PM
PSU is not on Gamecube...

Hidoshi
Nov 4, 2006, 05:47 PM
...Did you just call a Nintendo product shit?

Wow. You deserve to be set on fire and have your balls seared off with acid. This is the company that makes systems so incredibly strong and powerful that an industrial strength washing machine can't break them.

http://hidoshi.com/junk/20seconds.jpg

Genobee
Nov 4, 2006, 05:48 PM
On 2006-11-04 14:46, daylight129 wrote:
PSU is not on Gamecube...

diddn't say it was.

uhawww
Nov 4, 2006, 05:49 PM
I think I'm gonna have to jump on the "Cry More, Noob" train...

Genobee
Nov 4, 2006, 05:50 PM
On 2006-11-04 14:47, Hidoshi wrote:

Wow. You deserve to be set on fire and have your balls seared off with acid. This is the company that makes systems so incredibly strong and powerful that an industrial strength washing machine can't break them.

Agreed

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/Gonz886/1145094419994.gif

Arias
Nov 4, 2006, 06:05 PM
On 2006-11-04 14:43, Genobee wrote:
I never noticed any slow down in PSO Xbox.... probly because Game cube is a POS of equipment too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-11-04 14:49 ]</font>

You have some serious mofo shitass problems man, Gamecube is everything but a POS.
I bet Xbox never had to endure a 1000th of the Hacking arses that Gamecube had to endure with during PSO time. (remembers the Supersayan spammers in Antares 08 or Vega 01-02)

Look, i bet by now you either

1) Play PS2 PSU now without complaining, just getting us fired up about your annoying posts

2) Have already upgraded your PC and bought the game for the PC.

Lets quit this topic now please, sure, there will always be some idiots that will spoil the game, just as long as it won't be as bad as in PSO, I'm fine with it.

Lazygirl313
Nov 4, 2006, 06:15 PM
GameCube is a POS? Even people I know who say it isn't their favorite or even like it know its a fantastic piece of hardware. I've always thought it was stronger than the XBOX. The Xbox has more raw power, but the GameCube games to me have always looked much more beautiful than anything Xbox.

Knoob
Nov 4, 2006, 06:28 PM
lol to be honest, the lag isnt that bad, about the same as running it on a crappy comp at low res. chances are if you thought about getting the ps2 version, its because you dont have a 360, and your comp sucks, so its the best choice =o. however, as a sidenote, during the final boss fight offline, it was quite the slideshow, which was one of the few times i wished my 360 would be fixed already D:

Arias
Nov 4, 2006, 06:35 PM
On 2006-11-04 15:28, Knoob wrote:
lol to be honest, the lag isnt that bad, about the same as running it on a crappy comp at low res. chances are if you thought about getting the ps2 version, its because you dont have a 360, and your comp sucks, so its the best choice =o. however, as a sidenote, during the final boss fight offline, it was quite the slideshow, which was one of the few times i wished my 360 would be fixed already D:

Ah, my last comment about this....I do NOT have a 360, want to know the specs on my comp?
450Mhz....about 40GB free space, if it isnt 20...
128MB Ram...

And I bought myself an UBERcheap, but very well conditioned PS2, to play this game, I won't get discouraged by those ... simple humans http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif to NOT let me play the game

Pe-es-oh
Nov 4, 2006, 06:39 PM
My comp sucks and i have bought a ps2, but i am considering buying a new pc. I mean, it's not nice to spend countless hours on a game that takes a few secs longer to load and might get some laggy periods.

I wan't to play this game smoothly but don't care about the graphics. Which means a 50 euro upgrade to my pc would do the job. I am european so i'll be waiting untill it gets released here so meanwhile i can think about what i will do.

BloodDragoon
Nov 4, 2006, 06:45 PM
I have a high end PC, never bothere buying a 360, not enough games exclusive to it for me to shell out the cost of that system. Yet I bought and play this game on PS2, Why you ask? because I use my PC for alot of other things while playing and the PS2 is a lot more portable than this PC.

But then I didnt buy the xbox till it got really cheap. I bought I think 5 games for it. All its used for now is I had it modified and now it runs a SNES emulator off the HD with a few thousand ROMs...

Pashune
Nov 4, 2006, 07:23 PM
On 2006-11-04 14:50, Genobee wrote:

On 2006-11-04 14:47, Hidoshi wrote:

Agreed

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/Gonz886/1145094419994.gif

Also agreed. The Gamecube is a VERY rugged piece of hardware; I've seen a few videos of people trying to destroy the machine; It's been dropped 50 ft from the ground, dragged through a street or 2 for about 5 miles, and even whacked with a sledgehammer a few times. Guess what? The Gamecube STILL worked. Not to mention, as far as I know, the Gameboy pocket is practically water proof; just like some cellphones; dry it off a bit with a hairdryer, and it'll work again.

ShinMaruku
Nov 4, 2006, 07:38 PM
If any of you PC and 360 are boasting off of this ahlf assed game I'm gonna laugh at all of you, because all you are having is a higher resolution PS2 game. Main reaosn why this lags, they still ahve shitty code.

kassy
Nov 4, 2006, 07:54 PM
I find it funny the amount of people who don't know the difference between network lag and FPS (frames per second) slowdown.

"I have a 100mbps internet connection for my PS2! why is it running in bullet time slow mo!?"

ShinMaruku
Nov 4, 2006, 07:58 PM
Ypu make it seem like people are clever

Pashune
Nov 4, 2006, 08:47 PM
On 2006-11-04 16:38, ShinMaruku wrote:
If any of you PC and 360 are boasting off of this ahlf assed game I'm gonna laugh at all of you, because all you are having is a higher resolution PS2 game. Main reaosn why this lags, they still ahve shitty code.

More than just that, actually. High resolutions and Antialiasing sport great improvements over visual appearance, as well as anisotropic filterting. The PS2 lacks antialiasing support, and supports marginal anisotropic filtering, as far as I know.

PaladinRPG
Nov 4, 2006, 08:58 PM
Just wanted to weigh in on this. Friend of mine has PS2 version and apart from the previous described zoning in lag, there's not much of a slowdown. This is on a new style PS2 mini console. So if anything it's your hardware's age or the disc doing something else.

IrishSoldier
Nov 4, 2006, 10:05 PM
Your conenction msut suck. I'm on a PS2 model from 2001, running on a DSL connection and outside of today, slow down has really been no problem. It wasn't just PSU tho, everything on my computer was runnin slow, eventually it stopped. For future PS2 users, this guy may be having issues, but I'm definantly not.

PhantasyK2
Nov 5, 2006, 02:49 PM
OK folks - I have some updates.

First of all I have a Rock Star broadband connection -- almost T1 because of requirement I have for work. If you must know I build highly available network & server Infrastructure for a Fortune 100 Company so I know what I am doing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

So...on to my update:

I did some further testing yesterday -- decided to see how my Slim PS2 would perform compared to my original model (w/HD) PS2. I should have only tested one thing at a time to further isolate but I went ahead and also bypassed my router too (when using the Slimline). By 'bypassing' I am referring to CAT 5 plugging directly into my Broadband Modem vs. routing through a D-Link router.

I stuck to the PSO-World Server (15) since that is where it was lagging so horribly yesterday.

I did a few De Ragon runs and I'm either losing it or I definitely noticed an improvement. I should also note that with the Slimline I was using RCA video hookups rather than Component and Dolby Digital on my original PS2. You would think that if it were video related (doubtful) that component would actually be faster; however, I believe it is a combination of things.

This morning I went back to my original PS2 with a direct broadband modem connect and it still seemed decent but was lagging in a 4 person party.

So...at this point I really haven't done enough testing but I am for sure going to hook the slimline back up again and see how it goes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PhantasyK2 on 2006-11-05 11:50 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PhantasyK2 on 2006-11-05 11:52 ]</font>

BydoEmpire
Nov 5, 2006, 02:55 PM
I've been playing my Force for about 25-30 hours on the PS2 version, and it's been fine. I've noticed a few rare cases where monsters pop up after a few seconds, but it's hardly a "major" problem. There's a bit of lag from time to time, too, but the game runs fine for the most part. I wouldn't call it unplayable by any stretch. Just my 2c.

Mystil
Nov 5, 2006, 03:22 PM
On 2006-11-04 09:59, Roken wrote:
hmm...

Yes it's all true. There is issues with load time with the PS2. I experience this quite a lot and in areas with a lot of rendering(RELICS) this is even more evident. No monsters are seen, the other players are either in thier flourescent images attacking "air" while your character can't do anything for a couple of seconds.

But it does not last long, only after zoning into the new area.

I stuck to the PSO-World Server (15) since that is where it was lagging so horribly yesterday.
Well the PSOW meeting was yesterday. Alteast 30 members were there. That explains the lag.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2006-11-05 12:24 ]</font>

ChocoboChad
Nov 5, 2006, 03:27 PM
Heh... I play on PS2, and the only monster I can recall not spawning right away is that fat Badira(forgot name) right before the Stateria in Sleeping warriors. Even so, it eventually loads quick enough for me to get a hit in.

RoninJoku
Nov 5, 2006, 03:53 PM
Ok... can it be possible that there are big differences between PS2 models when playing this game? Because my PS2 is an original model... And I have to say it is absolutely horrible. Albeit it IS playable... If you are a very patient person and you don't mind lapping up the slop people feed you without asking questions like a good little consumer. And don't say I or other people with problems on PS2 are crying because you haven't seen how bad this is, and no one should have to shell out this much money for a game that slows down so bad... And It's NOT lag! It's FPS FPS FPS... I have NO problem with lag on PS2. Because I get slowdown OFFLINE! I played the final boss earlier today on my PS2 version, and the WHOLE FIGHT was in slow motion... That's bullshit... Total bullshit... Other areas of extreme slowdown include Moatoob (canyon), and when an area is SEED infected. Also, if there are lots of effects going off you will get slowdown just about anywhere. And let's not forget that the game can only have a few techs and weapons loaded at a time-switching to a weapon that isn't loaded causes you to have to wait 5-15 seconds before you can attack or cast techs... Let's just forget about monsters not spawning right away and even about online mode for a second, and realize that this is a huge gameplay problem that shouldn't have gotten past ST. I seriously don't understand why ST thought they could get away with making this game play so poorly on PS2...

And for the record, when I play online, I play on my PC... Which graphically is just slightly better than the PS2 version. But my computer is not very good for PSU. Still I can tell there is something wrong with how the graphics are coded, when I can run WoW at near max graphics in a 40 man raid and I can barely play PSU at the lowest setting...

Sigh, I'm not normally the type to complain. But it's getting really hard to just grin and bare it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RoninJoku on 2006-11-05 12:54 ]</font>

curlack45
Nov 5, 2006, 04:27 PM
Hey, i live in the uk.. so i have not got PSU yet. i have pso ep1&2 on gc.. and that runs fine (even though my char gets deleted at lv 22 for some reson).

as for the ps2 version.. i'm worryed now, becasue all this 'party' stuff? is this online or offline? if online do you have to pay? if offline how do you get partys? are they NPC's?

As for the pc version, i dont think my computer could handel the memory, put as the same as beofre...(from the line "becasuye of all this party stuff" onwards)

as a 'avreage' pso 1&2 player, and a experianced pso 3 player, i would love to know the answers to theese questions... becasue i'm expecting theese answers:

1) the ps2 versiopn is slow, and it is online, and you do have to pay.

2) the pc version wont be able to load ect....

IrishSoldier
Nov 5, 2006, 05:09 PM
I have as much patience as a bull, and my model is from March 2001. I must be a lucky guy, because the ONLY time I had lag was yesterday earlier when my whole DSL was running slow.

Silver_Wyrm
Nov 5, 2006, 05:14 PM
On 2006-11-04 09:55, PhantasyK2 wrote:
Seriously.

-Limit the party size

my ps2 plays online with 6 people in an active environment just fine. Sometimes I get slowdown, sometimes.

the ONLY thing that really bugs me, is when I switch weapons I have to wait for them to load to attack (unlike when Im on the pc) which makes me lose some exp in quicker areas, or unable to respond to circumstances as fast.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-11-05 14:16 ]</font>

curlack45
Nov 5, 2006, 05:19 PM
can someone answer my question :'(

Deja
Nov 20, 2006, 12:27 AM
I advise all that are going to buy the PS2 version not too, if you are planning to play online. Go PC version if you are going online. This topic is 100% true, and those that say they don't experience lag are either in 4 or less person teams all the time or don't own PSU for the PS2.

I'm going to download this game for the PC (hell no and I'm giving Sega $50 more) and put it on low settings and play with an xbox controller.

BTW, those that aren't experiencing lag, go to the desert area, the second area during the night, and watch your FPS drop so low, it's criminal. BTW I'm on a 4-5 month old slimline, and this game can't run for shit.

BloodDragoon
Nov 20, 2006, 12:36 AM
Bleh, I'm gonna end up buying a TV capture card for my PC just to show ppl the PS2 version runs fine.