PDA

View Full Version : Japanese voices in US version PSU PC

LobsterHime
Nov 5, 2006, 06:08 AM
after a very long night of fiddling around with files, i have successfully replaced the voices in the US version of PSU with voices from the Japanese version. it involves overwriting certain files in the US version with the corresponding files from the Japanese version. i'm not sure if im allowed to post information like this (ie: the exact files needed) here so i will wait for a moderator to approve before i do so.

i meant to post this last night but forgot to for some reason. since then i have found 2 things that need to be looked into that i can't figure out how to fix.
1) the shopkeepers still speak english
2) the credits roll at the end of each episode has some problems
i have no idea how to fix problem 1. as for the credits roll, i thought i had a fix but it doesnt seem to work all the time. i would like to have a more permanent solution if possible.

Ecstasy
Nov 5, 2006, 06:09 AM
OMG!!! please oh please send me what you used to do it:) I really want the Japanese voices:)

Nika
Nov 5, 2006, 07:49 AM
Me too, I love Jp voice a lot more than Eng voice. If that won't lead to any error when download new patch.

Ammy
Nov 5, 2006, 09:25 AM
I hope the mods dont mind then, because i'd love to have the japanese voices as well

Merumeru
Nov 5, 2006, 09:28 AM
XD ooh this will definently push me to get the PC version and a new PC *_* LobsterHime = God

Durand
Nov 5, 2006, 09:50 AM
yes, lets see some mod approval! JP voices are great

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 5, 2006, 09:53 AM
Im sure its ok, for one this is not an official sega site or anything and 2 its not changing the files, hacking, or anything like that is replacing the files with files that already exsist, an option that should have been there in the first place.

Sad I am almost done with offline mode :/ so unless I waist more precious online time playing thru it again I wont get to hear them :/

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 5, 2006, 09:55 AM
think you can do it w/ already existing characters? I might get pc and I dont' wanna start all over again just for a different voice since I have gotten used to Shiro's voice.

rena-ko
Nov 5, 2006, 10:48 AM
hm. the point is not whether or not PSOW is an official site. we have to stay within the rules Gamespy established.

in this case tho - since this is not disturbing the online features of PSU and just altering the clientsiden output - PSOW has no problem with you explaining how to do it. however, providing the japanese files is a different issue. dont link to them for now.

LobsterHime
Nov 5, 2006, 10:48 AM
its only cutscene voices until can figure out exactly which files contain the character voice data. the reason for this is, like the shopkeepers, i didnt have a chance to check until today. i've been working on figuring out how to do this so much that i havent really gotten a chance to play the game!

the_importer_ theorized that all the sound used in any area would be in the same files, however, this theory seems to be false. the files that he identified have not been changed between the JP version and the US version.

the method i used to replace the cutscene voices could be refined as theres probably a lot of files copied over that arent necessary. also, i need to find a new method if i want to replace in game voices because i've discovered something new about the data files that i dont quite understand yet. once a moderator ok's it, i'll summarize the process i used and show the list of files needed. its a pretty long list but i'll try to make it shorter.

LobsterHime
Nov 5, 2006, 11:23 AM
heres a summary of what i did to make it work. i first had to find out which of the files in the 2 versions were common. i started by getting a list of all the data files and seeing which ones were in both versions. i found common 1724 files, 2 JP only, and 9 US only. then i compared every file with its corresponding copy in the other version and found all the differing files. i did this by writing a program that compared file sizes and, if filesize hasnt changed, each byte in both files until a difference is found. i took the list of changed files and sorted them by looking at the first 4 bytes of each file and assigning them a fyle "type." i tried copying each set of file "types" into the US version and found the OTR type (OTR for OTheR because the header, 80000020h, doesnt show up well in text editors) managed to replace cutscene voices successfully. the other file types are NMLL (probably text and script related stuff) and AFS (most likely media, the OP animation is this type).

the total file size for all OTR files is 492MB and two videos that are about 600MB and 500MB respectively can be found in the AFS files. this makes the entire data size almost 1.1GB minimum currently. i highly doubt that the OP video is actually 600MB which makes me think some of the OTR files can be left using the US version. there are 119 files needed for voice replacement currently so i wont post the list because it'd be rather spammy. if anybody has both versions and would like to have the list, please PM me and i'll send it to you.

kiunch
Nov 5, 2006, 09:44 PM
Is there any way to put the voice of the Japanese version to the English version of PSU. AH Yaaa Haaaaaa~ is getting tiresome.

I want my character to say "thank you" in a sweet Japanese anime voice when someone resurrect her !!!!

KazuKun
Nov 5, 2006, 09:49 PM
I'd have to agree with you, though. I don't think there is any words in the English voices...it's all just "Hah! Ah!" or grunts. What's up with that? It'd suck if this world communicated through grunts and "hahs."

Player 1: *uses Moon Atomizer*
Player 2: *grunt*
Player 1: ...o_O?

It's like..."Uh...you're welcome?" They could've had words in the voices, is what I think. A simple "thanks" would've added so much more to the character's personality. For now, everyone sounds the same.

Edit: I didn't answer your question...my answer is: most likely not, unless you have the PC version. Someone's bound to think of some way to change it on the PC. I'm assuming PS2 players will be stuck with it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KazuKun on 2006-11-05 18:50 ]</font>

kiunch
Nov 5, 2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah I had the PC version, the Japanese version can be download "Legally" from PSU JP website.

Simmerl
Nov 6, 2006, 01:29 AM
Now if we just can think of a way to isolate the voice files ...

Zakuro
Nov 6, 2006, 01:37 AM
Chances are there is some way to get the JP voices with the english version, however, it may not be possible online due to the way the game patches. Usually in MMOs or whatever when you do something like this you have to skip the patcher or it will "fix" the files/give an error when you try to patch. I don't think it is possible to get around the patcher for PSU, although it also depends on how it checks the files for updates. Maybe it doesn't check files such as voice since they won't effect gameplay in any way, but I doubt anyone has experimented with it yet.

It would be great if it could be done, but I wouldn't expect it to happen unless you could settle for offline mode, and even then it won't necessarily happen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zakuro on 2006-11-05 22:39 ]</font>

Zaft
Nov 6, 2006, 01:43 AM
Bah, ate my post. Anyways, I'm sure you could find the data files and just do the FFXI modelviewer trick (cept it'd be audio viewer...you get what I mean). I'd like this, especially since we can just take the voices out if we don't want to keep hearing them. The talking is cool and is a great change from Mr. Caveman, but sometimes the 900+ pitch voices just annoy the crap out of me.

Atleast in Offline mode Ethan shouts "DIE!" sometimes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zaft on 2006-11-05 22:46 ]</font>

VanHalen
Nov 6, 2006, 01:50 AM
i wouls love to do this but if sega somehow just....maybe gave the updated the english characters in a patch that they had phrases idk how but that would be fine.

back on topic: umm i dont know much about online games but wouldnt you get banned for putting japanese voices on your characters? dont they ban you for little tiny things like that

Tycho
Nov 6, 2006, 02:59 AM
Noone knows. .. Yet.

LobsterHime
Nov 6, 2006, 04:10 AM
thanks for flaming, Xbob, you're really being helpful. if you hate the japanese voices so much, there should be no reason why you're reading this thread at all.

back on topic: im making very slow progress in figuring out how NMLL and AFS files work. it seems they're actually the same kind of file. the strings NMLL and AFS appear several times throughout both types of files.
if there's no apparent organization to the files (area a in files m, n, o; b in p, q, r; c in s, t, u; etc.) then replacing in-game voices will be very difficult if not impossible for the scope of my knowledge.
for example, suppose area a has entries in files m and n and area b has entries in n and o. if we know area a's character voices are in file n and we replace it, it could cause text data that area b is expecting to read the japanese version.

Kenshin_
Nov 7, 2006, 09:21 AM
Hi all! After more than 110 hours on PSU JP i was finally able to go online with us version!

But one thing really keep bothering me... char and NPC voices on us are really UGLY compared to the cute JP voices!
By chance, anyone has found a way to use jp voices on us? XD

Pandatron
Nov 7, 2006, 09:22 AM
I think this point was brought up before and by manipulating with the required files was either illegal or violted some law like EULA. Though don't quote me on this one i could be horribly off.

Pontifus
Nov 7, 2006, 11:07 AM
On 2006-11-07 06:22, Pandatron wrote:
I think this point was brought up before and by manipulating with the required files was either illegal or violted some law like EULA. Though don't quote me on this one i could be horribly off.

Oh well. Victimless crime, I say!

I don't care about the Japanese voices, but I would like to replace the vocal music with the Japanese equivalents, since the English lyrics are absolutely horrible. Whoever can tell me how to do that is my hero.

Ri0T
Nov 7, 2006, 02:03 PM
There's no Japanese lyric version of the music unfortunately. The Japanese version was originally sung in English as well. =

It would be cool if PSU became as freeform as WoW is with add-ons and such. Although, it's likely not to happen any time soon since Sega is probably paranoid of the crazy hacking returning from previous iterations of PSO.

I took a quick glance at the game files, and they seemed really hard to navigate. They are all clustered in huge numbered files with seemingly no extension. It would be a task to see what was in them all.

About the patcher thing, i've found a way around that in the past. When i played EQ2, you could change the files, but the patcher would change them back. However, I kept the replacement music i wanted in a zip file, and extracted/overwrote the files after the patcher had completed. This was something you would have to do every time you launched the game of course, and if you ever forgot, it would take quite a while for the patcher to re-download and replace the music files... but if you really want it to work, that would be the only way I know how to go about it. I am sure someone with more technical experience could make some kind of program to simplify that procedure... I am not learned enough to do anything like that just yet though. =

watashiwa
Nov 7, 2006, 02:07 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I prefer some of the NPC voices on the US version.. Well, at least the shopkeepers..

Jesus Christ, the female ones on the JP version make my ears bleed. IRASHAAAAII!III#!II#I@I# or whatever the hell they say.. makes me wanna backhand them.

Ri0T
Nov 7, 2006, 02:12 PM
I do like a few of the english voices... then the rest of them are complete trash though. While with the Japanese voices, i like a good deal of them, and even the bad ones aren't that bad to render them as unusable... at least imo. XD

I mean, some of the english female voices sound like they are woofing like dogs. >.> My Force sounds like she is getting punched in the face every once in a while when she casts a spell, and... yeah.

To quote a certain animated horse... "No Sir, I don't like it"

Simmerl
Nov 8, 2006, 07:29 AM
Why did they change the battle cries for the US release anyway?
I guess I'll wait with buying PSU until someone figures out a solution. XD

Jiga
Nov 8, 2006, 11:30 AM
JP voices. gross. I don't understand why if people want to be japanese so much, they don't just play the JP version.

Miller
Nov 8, 2006, 11:45 AM
Wapanese lawl.

Simmerl
Nov 8, 2006, 01:30 PM
On 2006-11-08 08:30, Jiga wrote:
JP voices. gross. I don't understand why if people want to be japanese so much, they don't just play the JP version.

Because we lack a Japanese credit card.
No JP card => no network play.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Simmerl on 2006-11-08 10:34 ]</font>

Ruby-chan
Nov 8, 2006, 03:26 PM
Ahem.. I generally prefer English voices myself.. but the online character voices in this game are atrocious. I mean, people are genuinely disturbed by some of these forces casting. At least if it's in Japanese I can't understand the stupidity...

If anyone isolates the online character voices I'd be interested. Everything else is tolerable.

Pandatron
Nov 8, 2006, 05:12 PM
On 2006-11-08 08:30, Jiga wrote:

For a multitude of reasons that you probably didn't consider.

1. Playing from NA location to a JP location can cause a large some of lag for some users. I know at least when i was playing i got horrendous slowdowns.

2. Langugage barriers. Try to play the NA version only speaking dutch... ya your not going to get very far.

3. Difficult in obtaining netcash. You don't necessarily need a JP credit card (like how we do in the states were just weird). But netcash can be annoying at times. Probably another reason i choose NA.

With these and countless other reasons will accept the fact that accepting the english voices just for sheer convienece. I mean say you wanted to go to China to visit there market, wouldn't it be easier to go to a local 'Chinatown' and get the same feeling. Same sitution we want the feel of PSU but not the hassle in having the hassle of going through a bunch of unnecessary issues... so we make a sacrafice in listening to the english voices... till now ^_^. Though don't get me wrong i do enjoy some of the english voices... just not all of them, While i like the male shop merchant skill vendor, after hearing almost all the main cast for the Story Mode voices i was baffled and confused why they choose those voices... compared to the JP i throughly enjoyed the Story Mode JP voices.

Ok i'm done ranting... back on topic:

Wouldn't it be a complication for online or for some voices incase they happen to be imbedded in certain files and create difficult or even impossible to seperate.

Xantcha
Nov 8, 2006, 05:30 PM
Bah, I equally despise both language's voices. I'll just stick with the ones I have. ._.