PDA

View Full Version : PSU online without PSU.

Gamemako
Nov 5, 2006, 06:23 PM
First off, this is not suggesting anything illegal, so don't get the wrong idea. My question is this: is there any way to play PSU online without buying the actual PSU discs, a-la PSOBB? And does PSU in the box come with some number of pre-paid months, or do you have to buy a 50-dollar game and then pay 50 bucks more to play online (since I hear the offline mode is pretty sad)? I've looked around, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer to this question, and since you here are all actually PSU players... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Thanks in advance for your help.

McLaughlin
Nov 5, 2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, you can illegally pirate the game from someone with a torrent or something. Sega isn't going to let you download their game for free (a-la BB).

If you aren't paying FOR THE DISC, it's illegal. Pirating is a crime.

No, the game (assuming you bought it honestly) does not come with any pre-paid cards.

Realmz
Nov 5, 2006, 06:30 PM
um...no?

Swifty01
Nov 5, 2006, 06:31 PM
They do add an additional 14 or 15 days to your first month of play though when you get your GL. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Shinomaru
Nov 5, 2006, 07:18 PM
lemme put it this way. PSU shud be free download but sega didnt want to make the same mistake they made for PSO BB. they want money greedy bums so they decided to do box set instead of letting us download the game off the site. you do not need the cd to play psu online or offline just an online connection. and since we dont need cd and since we log on by account password. there is no way for sega to know who downloaded the game for pc. since the cd's dont even have special codes in them just regular cd's with installation files on it..... soooo yeaaa.

SpishackCola
Nov 5, 2006, 08:15 PM
Heaven forbid they retail box a game and try to make some more money to cover the costs of development, servers, etc.

Oh, one thing you could do is find someone that has a copy of the game for the PC and install it from their disk as there isn't a CD-key needed to install the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpishackCola on 2006-11-05 17:16 ]</font>

Randomness
Nov 5, 2006, 08:19 PM
On 2006-11-05 17:15, SpishackCola wrote:
Heaven forbid they retail box a game and try to make some more money to cover the costs of development, servers, etc.

Oh, one thing you could do is find someone that has a copy of the game for the PC and install it from their disk as there isn't a CD-key needed to install the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpishackCola on 2006-11-05 17:16 ]</font>

I believe that technically violates the EULA.

SpishackCola
Nov 5, 2006, 08:27 PM
technically yes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

If they didn't want that to happen they should've used a CD-key...like almost every other A-AAA PC game.

Before anyone gets any ideas I did buy my copy and haven't shared it only because my roommates aren't in to dungeon crawlers like this http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpishackCola on 2006-11-05 17:28 ]</font>

bunnysama
Nov 5, 2006, 08:38 PM
I suspect that psu isn't a free download for 2 reasons

1) it would really piss off the ps2 and xbox customers if they had to buy a disc and the pc did not

and 2) the install is 9 gb of info. Now imagin 9gb x the hordes of internet users = alot of band width to pay for.

Lyrise
Nov 5, 2006, 08:46 PM
PSU isn't a free download for the most obvious reason of all - It sports a full-featured offline mode. If anything, you're mostly paying for that, seeing as PSU was originally slated to be an offline game only. Now, maybe if they could create a client with online-mode data only, then its a possibility (especially since both offline and online are really 2 different games with 2 (not vastly) different sets of game mechanics).

Nukei
Nov 5, 2006, 09:05 PM
Also the money might be used to keep the servers up *at first*. And the install is 8-9 GB and takes a might long time to download (depends).

Gamemako
Nov 6, 2006, 12:10 AM
You know, I wouldn't even be so annoyed if they were just charging 30 bucks for the offline game, but jeez, it's so annoying. Oh well, I'll just wait for the game's price to come down and more updates to be added before I get the game.

Friggin Sega and their offline mode... *mutters to himself*

Xbob
Nov 6, 2006, 02:18 AM
Am I the only one remembering that any real PS fan paid full price for every PS game EXCEPT BB?

KiteWolfwood
Nov 6, 2006, 03:07 AM
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=18812

MaxyGuy
Nov 6, 2006, 03:22 AM
It's not like it's expensive... I bought it on PC & PS2.. then a copy for my friend's birthday. And really, I got a crummy job.

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 6, 2006, 04:02 AM
Its not 9gb of stuff on the disk, a DVD doesnt even holld that much. I belive the disk was 5.3GB for sombody with internet like me... that would take .. I dunno 2 hours do download http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mitz
Nov 6, 2006, 04:19 AM
On 2006-11-06 01:02, ViciousXUSMC wrote:
Its not 9gb of stuff on the disk, a DVD doesnt even holld that much. I belive the disk was 5.3GB for sombody with internet like me... that would take .. I dunno 2 hours do download http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Like 3 days here >_>;

Anyway just torrent it. Or buy it. I bought it myself to congratulate Sonic Team http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif. Though I haven't received it yet and torrented it(A copy is on my way, that makes me half-legal?)

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 6, 2006, 04:56 AM
I didnt say I d/led it I gave a theory in how long it would take http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I did the EA downloader for battlefield 2142 and it only took 30 mintues to download and it took others over a day.

I would never tell sombody to do somthing illegal or encourage it, however due to how this game was made its almost asking for it... I think it may have been an original idea to have it as a free d/l or maybe even a paid d/l but they sold it last minute.

I am fine with that, this game easily justifies 50$ its got a pretty great 1 player mode and then there is the whole online deal.

They should remove the restriction to require online connection to play offline tho, it doesnt effect me but it would and does many others.

daylight129
Nov 6, 2006, 06:22 AM
So we hate on SOA and ST, saying they aren't giving us our share, when there are people like so who don't want to present your share to them? Maybe this is why they torture us with long waiting periods.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daylight129 on 2006-11-06 03:22 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 06:29 AM
All I'll say wiht that extortion fee they got, pirate it.

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 6, 2006, 06:32 AM
They wont be at a total loss reguardless since there is a monthly fee to play. But for sombody who does that and only plays the offline mode they are at a loss.

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 06:50 AM
That would be their problem.

Schubalts
Nov 6, 2006, 07:22 AM
Hurray for pirates! =/ Monthly fee or not, pirates f**king suck.

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 07:24 AM
Pirates are not in enopugh numbers to be a real threat escpeally for this game of all of them.

Schubalts
Nov 6, 2006, 07:37 AM
That doesn't mean that pirates don't suck, though.

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 07:39 AM
I think what they do is birilliant when the thing ain't worth the money.

Zabot
Nov 6, 2006, 08:21 AM
just to let you know, you can play network mode without the PSU CD. my friend was borrowing my GF's disc and she still played. just to let everyone know.

peace

AkiraXxx
Nov 6, 2006, 08:27 AM
Pirates are my idols. Where else can you get thousand dollar programs for free, but from them? Lol. Its the hackers/gamekillers that suck brown starfish.

Gamemako
Nov 6, 2006, 06:43 PM
On 2006-11-06 04:37, Schubalts wrote:
That doesn't mean that pirates don't suck, though.

You know, every time you let a friend borrow some game you already beat, you're a pirate, too. There's a thin line, sir. Not every "pirate" just takes stuff and never pays for it -- most "pirates" have legal game and music collections probably FAR greater than your own. You know what they say about assuming, sir. I'd recommend you heed it.

I'm seriously considering just downloading it and buying an online subscription. Sega still gets my cash either way. Or I can just buy it later when it's cheaper. Not that I'm poor (I make enough in a month after I pay all my bills to buy the game and several years worth of subscription), I simply hate when companies do things like this to the unsuspecting consumer. Whatever. Out of curiosity, is anyone actually playing PSU online via a torrented install and can confirm that it works as intended?

xFuZioN
Nov 6, 2006, 07:25 PM
Well there isnt a CD key, so you could get illegally download it on PC.

But I don't condone pirating.