PDA

View Full Version : Photon Arts, Machineguns, and then some

FenixStryk
Nov 5, 2006, 11:32 PM
So, today I maxed out my Pistol Photon Art (Frozen Hit). I have Lv20 Frozen Hit, Lv10 Rising Strike, and Lv10 of the Dagger PA. For a Ranger, that means I maxed out on all 3 of those.

So, since I hate using weapons once I max out their PAs, I moved on. I bought a Machinegun and Frozen Fury so I could max that out... thing is, MGs run out of ammo hella fast. So I got an idea.

I gathered 5k for 6 Machineguns and 12 Grincer C+1s, then made 6 Machinegun+2s. That adds up to over 3k in Machinegun PP. Surely I can't run out?

Wrong. I run out of ammo at the end of EVERY BLOCK. It really wears on me that these things shread through PP like that, and since Yohmei doesn't make MGs, it's not exaclty much to begin with.

Sure, by the time I GO through all 3000 PP, my SUV is ready, so I get 3 to 4 SUVs per mission, but having to go back to town and reload after every block is tiresome.

I did get Frozen Fury to Lv8 already, but I dunno. This is gonna take a while...

ProfessorZ
Nov 5, 2006, 11:35 PM
You have to mix up. Don't rely heavily on the just use small bursts. Machineguns gain pp really fast so when you want to recover your PP switch up to using the dagger/buster

Flunky
Nov 6, 2006, 12:58 AM
What Professor Z said.

In my brief experience with a ranger (getting my 3rd ranger level in case I want to go figunner in the future), machineguns seemed like burst weapons- depletes real quick, but it recharges rather quickly as well. I would generally fire for about 5 seconds, switch over to the dagger or saber for a bit, then switch back to the machinegun.

I stuck with lightning bullets, and the short paralysis bursts helped a lot in my dagger/saber forays. I'd say to not treat a machinegun like a pistol... it's more of a support weapon. Of course, this means it's a support version of a support weapon (off-hand ranged slot), so it seems a bit less suited towards concentrated ranger-work. I'm going to try out figunner come the first patch and see if the machinegun's a bit more suited in that role...

A2K
Nov 6, 2006, 02:09 AM
As fast as a machine gun eats photon points, I find that it recharges rather quickly as well. Coupled with a melee weapon to use in the meantime and it's not too bad, although, as was said, it's probably better if you stick to short bursts than continuous fire.

BrentGamer
Nov 6, 2006, 02:15 AM
I have a Greasegun that i've kept as my secondary weapon along with my upgraded Buster for a while now, and it has proved useful in situations where I needed to put damage on multiple enemies at the same time. By strafing with the machine guns, you can move back-and-forth while holding down the attack button, hitting a group of enemies in front of you.

Generally, I use this tactic if the enemy group is either;

A - Fire type enemies, as my Bullet Art for my Greasegun is Frozen Fury.

B - The enemies need to be pushed back to prevent damage to myself or allies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BrentGamer on 2006-11-05 23:15 ]</font>

SonicTMP
Nov 6, 2006, 02:46 AM
mech guns take a while to become powerful. You have to be a backstabber with them usually unless your like cast RA. But once you get that mech PA to 20+ wow... stuff just squeals.