PDA

View Full Version : Has PSU met your expectations?

RoninJoku
Nov 6, 2006, 12:20 AM
After forming some rather strong negative opinions of my own about the game... I really just want to know what other people were thinking. Has PSU met your expectations of the game so far? Let's forget about offline mode for a sec too.

Feeling a little jaded by ST personally, and I'm just curious to hear what other people's opinions are (not as if anyone's words will sway me)... Perhaps my expectations for the game were just a bit unrealistic. But I don't think it's unrealistic to expect the game to be better than it's predecessor. An accomplishment that I don't even think PSU achieves. It's just that I SO BADLY wanted to love this game, and it's very upsetting that I can't say I do. And before you say anything, I know that all the content is not available right now and I know the game will be better when it's all released. But right now that's irrelevant.

But I don't want to complain anymore here... And btw, no flaming in here please. I don't want to hear any bias or elitism either. I realize this is a dedicated forum, but I know there must be people here still making the shocking discovery that they too are disappointed with PSU.

And also, i'm not saying you can't love everything about it either. Not trying to convert anyone. I sincerely hope others are enjoying the game more than myself and my friends.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 6, 2006, 12:25 AM
I expected PSU to be slow, repetitive, and highly lacking in content at release, so I'm complete satisfied.

Candor
Nov 6, 2006, 12:26 AM
It's seems that PSU is missing something that PSO had for me, not quite sure what it is. Might be that PSO had actual "missions" and PSU just has free roam (is there even a point to the little stories?). There's a lot added on to PSO, and still some content that hasn't been unlocked. I still love this game and plan to play for a long time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Candor on 2006-11-05 21:58 ]</font>

FenixStryk
Nov 6, 2006, 12:29 AM
I like it. More maps, more weapons, more classes, more magic, more intricacies.... they just need to open up the content, and I'll be happy.

jarek99
Nov 6, 2006, 12:34 AM
Lets just say that I experienced more content in WoW and EQ in only 10 levels than I did with all 50 levels of PSU so far. Its been 5 years since PSO was released on the Dreamcast. Instead of just 4 levels, we have 3 planets and a space station. This was a bit deceiving. 3 whole planets sounded pretty big, but in reality its not. The cities are spread out over 3 planets for no apparent reason other than just for the sake of having things spread out and appear bigger than they are. Pioneer 2 from PSO was just as effective and was quite small.

Considering that most players have been to every zone offered by the current 2 planets, I cant imagine 1 more new planet making a difference. Theres really no difference between the 360 beta content and current content. You can flame and say be patient all you want, but is this really all the content sonic team could get up in running after a couple years of making the game? And if so, can we expect periods between new content updates to be as far away? It seems they are slowly releasing content to slow people down and make them pay a few extra monthly fees before quitting. I really expected more from PSU.

Raifen
Nov 6, 2006, 12:46 AM
Im starting to agree, that they might just be in on this for money, and I might quit for now and come back later.

AeraLure
Nov 6, 2006, 12:49 AM
I expected more. The mission environments are small and quite bland compared to PSO. There's no online semblance of a story, online quests or colorful NPCs. I too wonder just how much can really be expected to be added by the addition of one planet. There better be an awful lot of quests and mission variants, and how long do we have to wait for them? Its getting a little tough already to run what we currently have due to there being no variants of them (namely the quests a la Addicting Food, Soul of Steel etc, as well as Endless Nightmare style things). Without the quests bringing variation and some story online it feels so empty. I really wasnt expecting that.

There's also a missing intangible element, namely, it was far more exciting finding a red box that might be something cool rather then finding some odd material or board you store away. I presume this excitement will return some when you have your PMs further developed. There also doesnt at the moment seem to be that much of a hunt that kept us with the incentive to replay said missions over and over. I dont really get the sense when I go out that I am going to find "-----" possibly when I go run said mission. I just go run it for meseta to drive my PMs. This is possibly because the more interesting items can be found only on S ranked missions or they arent unlocked yet, or something.

The base battle system and job classes on the other hand are great. It feels to me like a beta. I give it a thumbs up on potential now go make it a real game, except wait, its not a beta. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Sigh. I am enjoying it. I do also intend to be here for some time since PSO is no more and this is it. Sticking it out for a while but this is going to be a long month lol.

IrishSoldier
Nov 6, 2006, 12:50 AM
I'm dissapointed. I've been waiting for this game for a LONG time. I expected to fall in love with this game the same way I did with PSO. I'm still having fun with it, but now I'm feeling the whole repitition. I've done relic and De Ragon runs enough times to last me a life time, and I want way more. PSO was not perfect by any means. But PSO..It had something. It has that little something that made me love it to death.

I honestly don't know if our expectations were to high or what, but I'm udnerwhelmed. I'm in the same crowd as all those who want to love this game, but can't seem to do so yet. We'll see as content comes out. But I wont be the least bit surprised if ST fucks us over, they do it before, why stop now?

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Nov 6, 2006, 12:53 AM
My biggest disappointment with psu thus far is the lack of variety in the enemies and the areas... Anyone who plays through just whats available online will quickly realize that many of the enemies are just reskinned versions of other enemies... Sure pso had reskins too, with its booma, sharks, and dimenians, but psu has far less different "types" of enemies than its predecessor. All the enemies are the same... I mean, they could have reskinned the enemies, but still made them feel like different enemies (like psu's gibbons skin off of barbarous wolves, you can barely tell they are the same enemy), in psu, all of the badira/ageeta/naval enemies feel like the same exact enemy. Same attack patterns, same AI, different look and element. Even the bosses are reskins for crying out loud. Granted, ST did say they would have online exclusive enemies and bosses, but after playing all of story mode, I only encountered 4 DIFFERENT true bosses, with 3 reskinned variants. (and the reskinned versions still felt like the same boss, unlike barba ray or the gol dragon from pso)

And the areas are rather lackluster as well... In pso, every area had certain landmark rooms, that looked different from every other room in that area... In psu, EVERY room in the area is the same, bar a slight change in shape and size. We dont get any open rooms with molten lava cascading down the cliff-face after all the normal rooms of a caves run. Scenery changes like that kept me sane while grinding in pso... but where are my landmarks now?

Weakness
Nov 6, 2006, 12:53 AM
After I blew through the offline game I was mildly upset at how short it was, but had the thought "Oh well, there is always online." Then when I got online and did pretty much everything there is to do in under 20 hours I was highly upset.

I am very disappointed in ST after this, but still hold a slight hope that the updates will make this game better... but for now I am just going to go play Final Fantasy XII until the updates come.

RoninJoku
Nov 6, 2006, 01:34 AM
Eh? I was half expecting everyone to defend the game with their life. Well, I'm at least surprised no one has said anything in it's defense so far. Perhaps the people who really like it are too busy playing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Also, it should be noted that I agree with practically every complaint listed in this thread so far. :|

Deprimenthia
Nov 6, 2006, 01:42 AM
Lawl. This thread makes me laugh... so hard. I seriously don't see how people could prefer PSO. Maybe people don't like looking at full potential anymore? It was released a week and a half ago? Two weeks maybe?

But no. I am happy. PSO had more content at the time, but they are releasing the content slowly, and I am okay with that. Just... enjoy the community. Have some fun. Do some things you haven't done. Become a synther. Open up a store. Join a clan. Have a dance-off. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AeraLure
Nov 6, 2006, 01:44 AM
Oh, I'm playing it an awful lot too, though admittedly now just running for meseta to level my PM while I wait for the update. Can only do so much of that in one sitting lol. I wont defend it because there are points about PSU that deserve criticism I think, even from someone as biased in favor of PSO as I. PSU has its great points and I am enjoying it and remain hopeful for improvement. I was just expecting a lot more. Guess we'll see as more gets unlocked online and at what pace it does. Meantime, my PM is going to continue telling me the things I give it arent fresh. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Deprimenthia
Nov 6, 2006, 01:49 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I understand. I played PSO because of the community and only the community... after a while, the gameplay seemed like a chore. A long, drawn out, boring chore. I still love it to this day, though. But! The gameplay got boring.

This may or may not happen with PSU, but PSU also has a lot more things you can do in terms of combat. PA's, Class types, etc.

Either way, I had no real expectations for this game. I never do. Thats what ruins games. Just accept it for what it is or isn't.

aquafire
Nov 6, 2006, 01:52 AM
oops, I voted before I read the part about "let's forget about offline mode for a sec". I can see why you said that, offline mode isn't that great (lv 62 and still not one single special weap). Which makes it really hard on us offline gamers.

Kerik
Nov 6, 2006, 01:52 AM
I think we're all expecting too much out, for just what they gave us. I mean, yes two weeeks, wow. But come on, PSO was out and was great fun, and with PSU I'm thinking "why?"

Why were we so shorted on content on the release? Were we supposed to be offline for awhile or something? I dunno. ST did an okay job, combat is fun, skills are great but...

Holding out on rares, new skills, level caps, worlds, and other things. This is insane. If, for example, PSU is like PSO, then these things are already on the disc. They just gotta bring it out.

Why don't they?

Deprimenthia
Nov 6, 2006, 01:55 AM
Don't you get it? Would you rather get 10,000 dollars in one day, or 3,000 every week of a month?

If anyone here is an idiot, and can't understand the above comparison, it's not as much, but over time it will probably be more than the other option.

jarek99
Nov 6, 2006, 02:04 AM
I think we're all expecting too much out, for just what they gave us.
What does that even mean? Are you saying that we should just be quiet and be happy with the levels that we've already run through 100 times?

Were we supposed to be offline for awhile or something?
The offline portion is only a 20 hour game. If they didnt want us playing online the first day, the servers wouldnt have been up.

PSU is like PSO, then these things are already on the disc. They just gotta bring it out.
Yes, Sega pulled an Everquest move. They released an unfinished product and hoped to have it ready by the time people wanted access to it. Like Everquest, PSU under estimated its players and failed. They've capped us at level 50 and provided us with no rares like EQ didnt allow anyone finish the quest to enter the plane of time (high level raid zone) until they finished making the game that we've already paid for.

If Sega had spent as much time on content as they did on the anal retentive chat swear filter, we'd have a fully loaded game.

Pilla
Nov 6, 2006, 02:22 AM
I have to say it, I just have to :/

I don't like it at all.. I've played PSO from the get go until my heart and soul was fed fully and I waited forever when I saw they where bringing psu out. I played card battles and beat really hard people and had great fun and all in all loved pso even more. I am not some person from some other online rpg with a view on psu, I feel I am a phantasy star nutcase when it comes to this game. Having said that when I got psu and took it home I played story mode for hours and hours, beat it and loved it. Then I made my old dreamcast char and made it to level 100 on extra mode, loved it but after awhile it was too easy. The last boss wasn't all that but hey, I didn’t try online yet so there I went, hoping it would spark me like PSO did when I first played.

Slap in the face :/ not only was the place feeling empty with no players(ps2 version) but no one talked, I didn't see any Japanese players(I know why) and worst of all the exp and PA usage seemed different from extra mode. Putting it all aside I immediately felt a sadness come over me standing there with my beast in the empty mission but only myself. This game lacks community on my part, joining games are filled with quite players and no talking, money is rare and items just don't feel rewarding like PSO. I have a set of tapes I recorded with PSO and it has me doing C-mode with my android, I was about to turn it off but something had me glued to watch more of it! We where fighting dark falz and his ice attack was scary. This is what I loved about the old one, imagine if we got to PSO and the only stages open where forest and caves, and only a few weapons available. Imagine ruins and mines not being released and no one talking much :/ I still can't pin-point why this game isn't all that great for me as PSO but it's lacking.

People also don't load for me and my PS2 is in pretty good shape so I'm not sure what's up with that, I at times can't connect and it freezes when I try again with another connection sometimes and just...it's all wrong. The exp and money and PM set-up just feels like money for Sega to me and it's all wrong. I'm sorry but as hard as I try to enjoy this game it all feels like a huge let down to PSO's shadow. I hope in the future the game picks up and I can return, but for now it's not even letting me connect after I cancelled my account and it's not suppose to end until DEC 15th :/ I wanted to at least try and find something that would make me love it forever but seems I need to fix something here before I can get back online.

KiteWolfwood
Nov 6, 2006, 02:33 AM
I think it has exceeded my expectations really. I played DC PSO and it was my favorite game ever. Then I got the GC version, still good but not as good as DC. Then they came out with that card game one which was ok but not as good as the other two. So really I was just seeing a decline in the games. I didn't really expect Sega to put really any effort into this game since PSO was never really a super popular game like Wow is now or even FFXI.

Really glad that it seems they are taking a serious approach to this game.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 6, 2006, 02:35 AM
It has exceeded my expectation already. Anything beyond now is just the icing ont he cake. I have met so many wonderful people in this game that I have someone to play with no matter what time I log on. It's almost impossible to log out for the day. :^)

AkiraXxx
Nov 6, 2006, 02:39 AM
Hasnt met my expectations yet, still waiting for dark champaign room, the trench coat, the eye patch hair, and the boat races. Oh and the axes and expert classes.

Kerik
Nov 6, 2006, 03:31 AM
What does that even mean? Are you saying that we should just be quiet and be happy with the levels that we've already run through 100 times?

No no no, what I meant was - the fact that PSO was almost a COMPLETELY different game, I mean, look at Offline PSO. Was there REALLY that huge of a difference to Online? I'm not saying be quiet about it, trust me, I'd NEVER say something like that. All I'm saying is that we all did what most gamers that thought a sequal was a flop do.

We expected too much out of a game. Perhaps they'll change, I'm sure they will.

The offline portion is only a 20 hour game. If they didnt want us playing online the first day, the servers wouldnt have been up.

It was more of a hypothetical "WTH" question, ya know?

Yes, Sega pulled an Everquest move. They released an unfinished product and hoped to have it ready by the time people wanted access to it. Like Everquest, PSU under estimated its players and failed. They've capped us at level 50 and provided us with no rares like EQ didnt allow anyone finish the quest to enter the plane of time (high level raid zone) until they finished making the game that we've already paid for.

If Sega had spent as much time on content as they did on the anal retentive chat swear filter, we'd have a fully loaded game.

The above quote says it all. That probably describes the WHOLE thing. Look at the Extra Mode. I can imagine the game turning into that Online, EVENTUALLY. Just with more rares and such, you know?

We'll find out. Good questions and comments, keep em coming everyone!

Valius
Nov 6, 2006, 04:09 AM
I'm definately dissapointed in a few things; lag, slowdown, disconnects (which could just be my wireless) but I still like it. In the end it just struggles to live up to it's own hype, kind of like what happened with Fable.

EC_Subbie
Nov 6, 2006, 04:10 AM
Not exactly, but i'll try to be patient for additional content and see what that does for me.

SkeeUK
Nov 6, 2006, 04:37 AM
On 2006-11-05 21:50, IrishSoldier wrote:
But PSO..It had something. It has that little something that made me love it to death.

i havent recived my game yet few weeks yet, but i just like to comment on what u said

PSO on dc v1 v2 and ep3 on gc, really had something in it, i mean the same 4 levels over and over again actually even made it better, in fact it was perfect, the music is so memorable for me, if only games were made like that again.

im really hoping to like this game as PSO series are by far the best ive ever played

i dont know what it was about pso, mabey the online friends u made or i can remember well our team running towards the red box to c who gets it first lol

brilliant simply brilliant

i hope psu brings back that special gameplay for me. how many stages does it have?

Ether
Nov 6, 2006, 04:53 AM
On 2006-11-05 22:55, Deprimenthia wrote:
Don't you get it? Would you rather get 10,000 dollars in one day, or 3,000 every week of a month?

More accuracte comparison: Would you like 50,000 dollars now, or 2,000 every 2 weeks for a year

All Sega is doing is unlocking things already on the disc, because the PS2 can't support actual updates. Nothing new is being developed, besides possible a few online quests that will reuse maps. Sega is intentionally holding out on us, and the fact that they thought it was OK to launch the game with nearly the exact same content the Japanese Beta in April had is sad

daylight129
Nov 6, 2006, 05:30 AM
On 2006-11-05 21:53, Non-Toxic-Crayons wrote:And the areas are rather lackluster as well... In pso, every area had certain landmark rooms, that looked different from every other room in that area... In psu, EVERY room in the area is the same, bar a slight change in shape and size. We dont get any open rooms with molten lava cascading down the cliff-face after all the normal rooms of a caves run. Scenery changes like that kept me sane while grinding in pso... but where are my landmarks now?

Yes! Someone who feels the same exact thing I do for the boring levels of the same room over and over in different sizes!

Mitz
Nov 6, 2006, 05:32 AM
On 2006-11-05 21:53, Non-Toxic-Crayons wrote:
My biggest disappointment with psu thus far is the lack of variety in the enemies and the areas... Anyone who plays through just whats available online will quickly realize that many of the enemies are just reskinned versions of other enemies... Sure pso had reskins too, with its booma, sharks, and dimenians, but psu has far less different "types" of enemies than its predecessor. All the enemies are the same... I mean, they could have reskinned the enemies, but still made them feel like different enemies (like psu's gibbons skin off of barbarous wolves, you can barely tell they are the same enemy), in psu, all of the badira/ageeta/naval enemies feel like the same exact enemy. Same attack patterns, same AI, different look and element. Even the bosses are reskins for crying out loud. Granted, ST did say they would have online exclusive enemies and bosses, but after playing all of story mode, I only encountered 4 DIFFERENT true bosses, with 3 reskinned variants. (and the reskinned versions still felt like the same boss, unlike barba ray or the gol dragon from pso)

And the areas are rather lackluster as well... In pso, every area had certain landmark rooms, that looked different from every other room in that area... In psu, EVERY room in the area is the same, bar a slight change in shape and size. We dont get any open rooms with molten lava cascading down the cliff-face after all the normal rooms of a caves run. Scenery changes like that kept me sane while grinding in pso... but where are my landmarks now?

I love you. Oh and I love your post.

RamenEater
Nov 6, 2006, 06:14 AM
My biggest gripe is how they took out the transition of regular stage music to battle music. That aspect of PSO really set the mood, this game really lacks "umph". But hopefully new content will change the way i think about this game.

Para
Nov 6, 2006, 06:52 AM
The maps somewhat disappoint me... After playing Episode IV (mentionably Subterranean Desert) of PSO, I had really expected more from SEGA in terms of map design. I mean yes the maps look really graphical in PSU but they lack the charm and "maze" complexity that PSO maps had.

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 6, 2006, 07:03 AM
i would say that the game has exceeded my expectations, I'm really addicted to it.

ShadowDragon28
Nov 6, 2006, 07:06 AM
PSU has met my expectations. The missions feel like playing Challenge Mode on PSO, I really liked C-Mode, so i like the challege of the time trials in PSU. It's been great offline, can't wait to play online.

I will enjoy PSU as it grows and matures into what PSO vers 2, and GC PSO EpI & II are/where.

kragma
Nov 6, 2006, 07:17 AM
It was rushed out like all of the new generation MMO's or we could even say games in general. to my eyes it exceeeded my expectations, compared to PSO. The game play is not as slow and you have much more things to explore aside the actual killing of monsters. Yes unlocking more content will be nice but until then I would let them take there time and I will do everything else that I can in game (including decorations, grinding until I blow every weapon I have, etc).

Kiteshinji
Nov 6, 2006, 01:47 PM
(I posted something like this on gamefaqs and in the wrong topic earlier lol)

A couple of reasons why this game is disappointing to me is the fact that offline mode (extra mode) is far too different from online mode. I'm not complaining about not being able to use your offline character online, I honestly don't mind.

It's just that in extra mode: 1. No sense of accomplishment, leveling up is way to easy 2. Synthesizing is pointless unless you're getting that S-rank sword 3. Bosses? Oh... you mean those giant enemies that lack any sort of pattern, although, the last boss (2nd form) was awsome. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif 4. So this is the full game... is this really all this game has to offer o.o?

Now online mode (I haven't been online yet in the retail version but I heard it was the same as the beta): Online isn't really that bad... it's just that most of the content is locked at the moment, It's like having only Forest and Caves unlocked and only being able to play up to hard mode. The experience rates are normal at least and now there is a point to synthesizing. In PSO, everything was unlocked in the beginning, they just added new missions every now and then.

This game really is missing that kind of charm PSO had and IMO, they really screwed over offline players by forcing them to play online to experience these changes to the core gameplay (ranger's pp recovery, new clothes and weapon types.) There really isn't much to do offline at the moment, i'm 10 hours in, level 100, obtained all s-rank equipment, bought all clothing (which really isn't much), level 10 on all jobs. I hope that if they do make major changes, that it will affect offline as well.

AeraLure
Nov 6, 2006, 01:51 PM
My word, I thought it was offline mode actually that had more to offer than online mode at the moment. Have to admit I havent played very far in offline mode yet, wishing to do more online, but I have heard its really easy.

Cerulean
Nov 6, 2006, 02:11 PM
I absolutely love this game. Despite being a long-time PSO fan, I had relatively low expecations for PSU, maybe because it had been since PSO that a game really took over my imagination and made me WANT to play (and think about it) so much (ICO and SotC being notable mentions, though).

I meet new, great players every day, plus continue to team up with 'old favorites.' I haven't really seen the in-game negativity I see here on this board (and on the official board). Probably because I and the people I play with don't play for 8+ hours a day. For us PSU is more like a really cool tv show we tune into every day for a couple of really fun hours.

For example, I love the new Battlestar Galactica (SciFi channel show). I look forward to each new episode and talk about it with my friends after its over. But, if I watched it every day for 6+ hours (or whatever) I would probably hate it.

Just my view.

Personally, I can see myself playing and enjoying PSU for many months, possible a year+. Best game, for me, since the original PSO.

Nagidar
Nov 6, 2006, 02:33 PM
I honestly cannot answer that question. The online portion we are currently playing (NA Servers), is incomplete, when I get a chance to play the "full" game (All content unlocked), I will give my opinion.

krika
Nov 6, 2006, 02:40 PM
On 2006-11-06 11:33, Nagidar wrote:
I honestly cannot answer that question. The online portion we are currently playing (NA Servers), is incomplete, when I get a chance to play the "full" game (All content unlocked), I will give my opinion.

Same here. It's hard to decide when we only got the very basic items and the world is small as hell. They also have to fix the lag/delay and all that shit, it's a painful experiance to play they game on frame skip 3 with a super computer.

Offline is great tho.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krika on 2006-11-06 11:51 ]</font>

krika
Nov 6, 2006, 02:46 PM
Sry site lagged like hell. :/ delete this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krika on 2006-11-06 11:50 ]</font>

Cerulean
Nov 6, 2006, 02:53 PM
frame skip 3? lag/delay?

Sounds like you have system issues to nail down. I run on frame skip 1 (so 30 fps) and its perfect for me, with all other effects maxed. I also have no delay (in fact, I'm often the first to appear after a group warp) and I'm only on dsl.

FYI: I have a pentium 4 with a 3.0 GHz proc, 2 gig ram, 512mb ATI 1300 video card. Not a super computer at all (though the video card is nice) and like I said except for falling back to frame skip 1 (I was hoping for 0) I have everything else maxed and its rock steady.

Trinacepti
Nov 6, 2006, 02:58 PM
There are a few things I don't like, but otherwise it is my ideal online game.
It has class changing, a thing I was spoiled by in FFXI and now always want it in other games and thus got sick of junk like warcraft and such.
It has combat based on action and reflexes, so if you're good you can beat stuff a good deal stronger. Sure it takes time, but the fact that you can do it at all is great.
No travel timesinks, I don't have to waste 500 hours getting somewhere.
Of course those latter too were in PSO as well. But this game has more enjoyable fighting, more refined. And PAs are great.
And finally a game that has decent char customization with characters I actually like the look of.
The ability to change outfits is also great.
Decorating a room is nice, although it'd be fun if you could actually change a room's layout too.

Things other than obvious more content I'd like to see (that'll come so Im not putting that as a thing I don't like).
I'd like prices of an item to be listed when you searched for it in the item search so you don't waste time going to a room.
I'd like more space when selling in a store, like now you can only sell X different items, I'd like it to be more.
And finally I'd like the ability to know more than 36 PAs, not a big deal but if you like to change classes around, having a limit prevents you from sort of being fantastic at all classes. Like you couldn't have all the Technics + Bullets and such. It'd be nice if you could have them all.
But the biggest one I'd want is it to list a price when I search for it.

I expected basically a PSO clone with towns and a little more customization. It has that, but the thing I was most impressed by was the improved combat and the ability to change your class, those made the game exceed my expectations. Player stores were a bonus on top of it. Oh and shared storage among characters is nice too.

KirinDave
Nov 6, 2006, 03:01 PM
My biggest disappointment is that there is a PS2 version that doesn't require a hard drive. With the PC and XB360 releases, ST could have easily released content for just about forever. New swords, items, and missions would be trivial to add.

But no, we're tethered to the PS2's limitations.

Heck, ST didn't even try to approach it intelligently and split the PS2 crowd from the PC crowd so that the PC group could move forward. The two platforms capable of updates are split into two groups, one paired with the platform that ca't update.

It's one of those pure-business decisions that infuriates engineers.

Chimeria
Nov 6, 2006, 03:02 PM
I guess i was expecting alot more from this game. I thought back to when PSO came out and I was a Final Fantasy hype. I thought it was going to be a futuistic ripoff of FF. But i acually picked it up and it became a favorite game and past time for me. (300+ hours with my LV121 FOmar)

Now, it's backwards. I was expecting this game to be the breakout game of the winter. And in acuallity, it's sort of a letdown. I'm already on LV 65 offline with only 32 hours and i have a powerful weapon. I'm kind of pissed because there's nothing for me to work for. I remember staying up all night raiding the area you fight dark falz and fighting sinow zeles hoping to get an agito. And after finding one, even if it was fake, it was the best feeling in the world.

The missions don't have any..."fun-ness" to them. It's just go kill all the monsters. And story mode was good but who cares about that. I want to make my character!

Maybe i'll have more fun when i play online. Hopefully, sega is looking at the message boards and listening to the gamers. Then they'll know what to add in the updates. I'm still kind of skeptical about paying 10 bucks a month for basically a multiplayer offline version....

Jiga
Nov 6, 2006, 03:05 PM
On 2006-11-06 11:40, krika wrote:

Same here. It's hard to decide when we only got the very basic items and the world is small as hell. They also have to fix the lag/delay and all that shit, it's a painful experiance to play they game on frame skip 3 with a super computer.

Offline is great tho.

[ This Message was edited by: krika on 2006-11-06 11:51 ]

Sry site lagged like hell. :/ delete this.

[ This Message was edited by: krika on 2006-11-06 11:50 ]

Hmmm.... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

krika
Nov 6, 2006, 03:06 PM
On 2006-11-06 11:53, Cerulean wrote:
frame skip 3? lag/delay?

Sounds like you have system issues to nail down. I run on frame skip 1 (so 30 fps) and its perfect for me, with all other effects maxed. I also have no delay (in fact, I'm often the first to appear after a group warp) and I'm only on dsl.

FYI: I have a pentium 4 with a 3.0 GHz proc, 2 gig ram, 512mb ATI 1300 video card. Not a super computer at all (though the video card is nice) and like I said except for falling back to frame skip 1 (I was hoping for 0) I have everything else maxed and its rock steady.

Well i can run PSU on max settings and everything but when i go online i get a awfull delay and everyone ealse run skippy. When i change the fram skip to 3 it sems to fix the delay a bit.
I never had any problems with any other mmo Wow,daoc,AO,psobb,L2 and i can run Oblivion on max settings. I also dont use a routher. I got no idea why i got the awfull lag/delay online, i dont belive that it's a issue on my side.

Just check the technical thread and you will find that many people got this issue aswell.

This is kinda offtopic but just wanted to give you an answer.

FrogKicker
Nov 6, 2006, 03:07 PM
OMG I love cake but....wtfzorz Mom? Why are you only giving me one piece at a time? Can't you see I am impatient and want to eat the whole damned thing right NOW? I am a glutton and must consume the 'complete' cake so I can then proceed to bitch about how I hate cake because it got old really really quick. I don't care if you busted your ass making the cake so I can enjoy it and I could care even less if it spoils my appetite, it's my friggen cake and I want it. Also, wtf is up with the chocolate frosting you dumb woman you. I was expecting lemon frosting and we all know the world revolves around me and if I don't get my way I throw a fit. You have no idea what you are doing in the kitchen do you? I swear...you should not be allowed to make cake anymore, it's a wonder your cake factory got closed. It must have been you competition...PieStation, I heard they make really good cakes...and pies of course...

Nagidar
Nov 6, 2006, 03:15 PM
On 2006-11-06 11:53, Cerulean wrote:
frame skip 3? lag/delay?

Actually, your PC is better than that Video Card, that is one of ATI's lower end Graphic Cards.

FYI, I have: 3.8Ghz Pentium D, 4GB RAM, 175GB 10k RPM HDD x2(Raid0) and a ATI Radeon X1950 XTX 512MB.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nagidar on 2006-11-06 12:19 ]</font>

Sexy_Raine
Nov 6, 2006, 03:28 PM
This game lacks lacks variety its missions. There just isn't much to them other then getting through a few rooms and moving to the next area. Also, the drops don't impress me, we deserve better things than what there is now.

I got to admit though, I love the challenge of being a force. I never used one in pso, and I didn't think it was a good idea to switch over for PSU, but I really like it better than being a hunter.

The content doesn't live up to what I thought it would be, I was really hoping for more.

Cerulean
Nov 6, 2006, 03:32 PM
Nagidar: Just goes to show how much (not!) I know about pc's, heh.

krika: Understood, and I have to say I somewhat feel the same way. Even though I don't seem to have the lag/delay you have and don't have to go to beyond frame skip 1, it still bugs me that a system that can run WoW on near-max settings has to run a ps2-compatible game at 30 fps. That bothers me. Not enough to get mad, but I am disappointed. I've heard people call the pc version a 'sloppy port' and I can see what they mean. With the systems many people are posting, you would think we could smoke this game at max settings 60fps, but no...

HC82
Nov 6, 2006, 03:41 PM
First off the game is tons of fun, but severly cheaped out in many areas.

PROS:
The class system and growth development is spot on. The whole synthesis is also right on the money. Excellent job there. The combat system is simple, yet the variety in weapons and their useage really keeps things interesting. I like the combat system, even though its a little too simple for me, it has broader mass appeal.

CONS:
The monster AI is repeated TOO MUCH!!!! Almost all the planets have repeat enemy AIs with new skins. I don't know about you, but this is just beyond lazy in my eyes. Isn't the idea of going to a new planet is to experience something different? ST has a Limited budget? Maybe so, but it only takes away from the game when you expect people to keep paying an insane monthly fee for a game thats already finished, but your spoon fed a little bit so more of you're money is taken. That's going to get old too fast. They really shot themself in leg with that one. Sometimes it's actually creates more synergy to put in a little more effort then peform less effort. I understand the rigors of programming and the budget given, but there are ways to reuse the same AI and make it seem fresh.

Yeah, yeah, there are minor differences, accept now the monster poisons me... WOOO!!! I mean, if it did a cheap headbutt before and nothing happened and now it poisons me, it's still the same thing. Maybe I just need to wait intill S rank... but the AIs are a little too redundant.

Maps are waaaaay to repetitous. Maybe this was done so that its easier to get S rank, so we can remember where all the enemies are. I don't know but the areas get stale too quickly.

Not enough content upon release. Right now, there is a disc sitting in its case and on that disc is a very large and expansive game. When I play the disc, I get a game with the same content as the beta. Now I have to pay a monthly fee that is very large and wait for the whole game to be given to me.

Lets be real everyone. It's about the MONEY, plain and simple. Why are we given so little content? Because the fanbase will wait for the updates and dish out 10 bucks a month doing so. Synthing, slowed down leveling, multiple classess. It's about stretching out the game so you buy that 6 month package and are now locked into it. It's just capitalism folks, and i get it. No one is forcing you to play the game. This is obvious, but it just feels wrong to me. Lucky thing for ST the game is actually fun.

lostinseganet
Nov 6, 2006, 03:41 PM
No I wanted at least eight player coop. The game does not live up to its MASSIVELY mp online catch phase. I do not see the game being worth the monthy fee yet... I wanted to jump too. Jumping would be a great addition.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lostinseganet on 2006-11-06 12:48 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Nov 6, 2006, 03:59 PM
Um, PSU is not an MMO.

It's a Action RPG with a Multiplayer Online *mode.* ST never said it was MMO.

While it has *some* ingredients of an MMO, it's not meant as a MMO. Too many people have set their expectations excessively high, and keep wanting/treating/viewing PSU to be another FFXI.
PSU is *not* FFXI.

ProfessorZ
Nov 6, 2006, 04:02 PM
This game has gotten so boring for me I don't think I'll be able to play till there are updates. Don't get me wrong I love the game to death but theres something about doing the same run 1000 times and feeling nausea after....

Phaze37
Nov 6, 2006, 05:13 PM
I'm having a ton of fun with this game. I think the trick to enjoying PSU is to not overdo it. I've been playing for a bit less than an hour a day on average, so I haven't noticed the lack of content that everyone is complaining about. Besides, we will probably get alot more content very soon, if the japanese version is any indication.

Noisewater
Nov 6, 2006, 06:59 PM
i dunno...I didn't play pso as much as most people probably (only up to lv 40 or 50, offline only since no online capabilities), and still loved it, and was really looking forward to PSU, but at the moment, this game is getting quite boring quite fast. I'm lv 27 right now, and there are only a handful of linear missions that lead to nowhere. No story, no real rewards, etc. I don't know about online mode for PSO, but at least with offline PSO, there was a story in the backbone that narrated you through the missions. Right now I grimace at the thought of having to do another dragon run, ruins, hot springs, or rainbow boss thing run just go grind my rank or money, or to feed my stupid PM lol.

What's going on here is we're just doin some major grinding, and for what? I don't know what's planned to be released later, but even with the next planet opened up and new missions released, there isn't really anything we're working towards. That and come on seriously, we blew through three out of the four worlds in less than 15 days, how much longer will the last world last us? That's what I think anyway. FFXI has its storyline and more than 15 jobs to play in case you want to change it up every now and then. WoW has its PvP in case you got a hankering for some beat down (FFXI has PvP also) and its raid dungeons. I know I shouldn't be comparing the three games, but as far as pure substance goes, PSU is severely lacking. Especially with no "real" updates, no truly new content will ever be released, no adjustments can be made, no new missions can be added, etc.

EphekZ
Nov 6, 2006, 07:03 PM
No, I thought PSU was going to be the worth game ever. Then I tried it; I love it. It far exceeded my expectations.

DONTOSE
Nov 6, 2006, 07:05 PM
ooo it has exceeeded my expectations more then you know

oo ok ill tell you im already on lv81 offline and soon to be online when i finaly reach lv100 so get ready to see the master him self starting next mounth.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DONTOSE on 2006-11-06 16:12 ]</font>

Wild_Coyote
Nov 6, 2006, 07:33 PM
I think PSU is better than PSO, just not 4 years better. The genre has progressed a long way since PSO, unfortunately it seems PSU was left in the past. The content per dolar factor for PSU is pitiful compared to games like WoW, FFXI and Guild Wars.

Noisewater
Nov 6, 2006, 07:38 PM
However I will say that I enjoy the character creation in PSU. Like 10x more varied than WoW, and 20x more varied than FFXI.

I think I enjoy creating characters more than playing the actual game lol

Nagidar
Nov 6, 2006, 07:56 PM
On 2006-11-06 16:38, Noisewater wrote:
However I will say that I enjoy the character creation in PSU. Like 10x more varied than WoW, and 20x more varied than FFXI.

I think I enjoy creating characters more than playing the actual game lol

Agreed, I hate playing games and seeing 100 people that look EXACTLY like me....

MAGNUShunter
Nov 6, 2006, 08:00 PM
Yes. It has met them.
I will say that there is alot of the game that surprises me stil (even though I wasn't expecting much because of previously posted opinions.) But, being a pso fan, how can I not be enjoying myself?

However, most of you know where I stand as far as what really held this game back. (and alot of you still hate me for saying it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif "...Long live the future!!!" lol. )
I guess I'm still holding out against all hope that they will rethink things and branch out with the 360 and PC base.

All in all, I'm still a faithful fan. PSO was so innovative...I just know that that creative seed still exists SOMEWHERE over there at SEGA. I just pray that the right choices can be made so that this franchise will survive.
Until then, in faith I say...
LONG LIVE THE FUTURE!
http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=115125&forum=20

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MAGNUShunter on 2006-11-06 17:11 ]</font>

MAGNUShunter
Nov 6, 2006, 08:35 PM
On 2006-11-06 12:01, KirinDave wrote:
My biggest disappointment is that there is a PS2 version that doesn't require a hard drive. With the PC and XB360 releases, ST could have easily released content for just about forever. New swords, items, and missions would be trivial to add.

But no, we're tethered to the PS2's limitations.

Heck, ST didn't even try to approach it intelligently and split the PS2 crowd from the PC crowd so that the PC group could move forward. The two platforms capable of updates are split into two groups, one paired with the platform that ca't update.

It's one of those pure-business decisions that infuriates engineers.

A post after my own heart. Where have you been all my life?