PDA

View Full Version : Your not supposed to wait for unlocks.

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 06:31 AM
Yes players of wow and ffxi and whatever have to wait very long time, months, for content updates. But this is because the content is actually being made during that time. With PSU, the content is already made, and there is absolutely no reason to not give it to us. I don't know, maybe it'll milk more money from monthly subcriptions, but in general I don't see this as a good marketing plan.

To confirm this, Japan already has the update. That pretty much proves that the content is all finished and 100% ready to go, yet we don't have it. We are not supposed to wait "hey Japan waited and they didn't whine" if the content is already finished, it should be available to everyone, JP, and US, and EU when it comes out.

At it's current state, it is perfectly possible to fully enjoy PSU. Yes even with all the little content some people can still love it to death. I myself also like this game at the moment. But you are a blind fool if you think waiting for these unlocks is justified.

Note: The purpose of this topic is not to make sega unlock the content. The purpose of this topic is to compare opinions and reasons for sega withholding the content.

This topic also is meant to educate some people. Some people think that Sega is hard at work trying to program all of this content, when in fact, the content has been finished for quite some time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marks on 2006-11-06 04:00 ]</font>

daylight129
Nov 6, 2006, 06:34 AM
I'm not a blind fool :'(

cobfab
Nov 6, 2006, 06:35 AM
"Japan waited and they didn't whine"? Yeah right, when it comes to games, Japanese are far more crazier than US players. I have a friend who moved to japan and she told me there were plenty of complains in the game and outside of the game.

Para
Nov 6, 2006, 06:36 AM
We still haven't waited as long as JP players for their first unlock though.

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 06:37 AM
On 2006-11-06 03:36, Nites wrote:

Yeah except we are waiting for the same exact unlock that they already have.

cobfab
Nov 6, 2006, 06:40 AM
On 2006-11-06 03:37, Marks wrote:

On 2006-11-06 03:36, Nites wrote:

Yeah except we are waiting for the same exact unlock that they already have.

There must be reasons behind it but SEGA needs to at least tell the reason so all the whiners and complainers understand.

daylight129
Nov 6, 2006, 06:42 AM
You are obviously in SEGA's palm. Don'tcha know? ST doesn't work like that.

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 06:45 AM
The only plausible reason is some derivation of Sega trying to make pretend that they are releasing content when they really are not. They want to make you believe that they are working on new updates so that they can justify charging you $10 a month.

Brus
Nov 6, 2006, 06:48 AM
I really mean this in the most sincere and non-rude way, but one hundred trillion of these threads have already been made and even if we make one hundred trillion more its not going to change a damn thing (damn thing being sega's mind about releasing content) so basically all these threads do is push down useful threads that other people make. Can we please stop.

Realmz
Nov 6, 2006, 06:49 AM
good god do we really need ANOTHER topic about this?

couldn't we ship this to the dead horse society?

-Shimarisu-
Nov 6, 2006, 06:50 AM
THE GAME HAS BARELY BEEN OUT FOR TEN FRICKING DAYS.

ShadowDragon28
Nov 6, 2006, 06:51 AM
You rock Shimarisu.

daylight129
Nov 6, 2006, 06:52 AM
On 2006-11-06 03:50, -Shimarisu- wrote:

I forward this notion!

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 06:54 AM
On 2006-11-06 03:45, Marks wrote:
The only plausible reason is some derivation of Sega trying to make pretend that they are releasing content when they really are not. They want to make you believe that they are working on new updates so that they can justify charging you $10 a month.

They need to justify nothing as fools support them regardless.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMaruku on 2006-11-06 03:55 ]</font>

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 06:55 AM

It has been out for months in Japan. You clearly did not read my topic or did not understand it at all. Seriously did you just read the topic title and then barge in here with a quick reply?

Weakness
Nov 6, 2006, 06:56 AM
I don't understand how people actually support such a weak launch, and even weaker game play...

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 06:59 AM
I think they misunderstand your post entirely.
Then again, it's good they're on edge.

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 06:59 AM
On 2006-11-06 03:48, Brus wrote:
I really mean this in the most sincere and non-rude way, but one hundred trillion of these threads have already been made and even if we make one hundred trillion more its not going to change a damn thing (damn thing being sega's mind about releasing content) so basically all these threads do is push down useful threads that other people make. Can we please stop.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the purpose of this topic is NOT to mind control Sega into giving us the unlocks. I edited in a note in my post now.
(The purpose of this topic is not to make sega unlock the content. The purpose of this topic is to compare opinions and reasons for sega withholding the content. )

ShadowDragon28
Nov 6, 2006, 07:01 AM
Coming from someone with the handle "Weakness" i find that post funny.

Whatever, play something else then if you don't like PSU.

Randomness
Nov 6, 2006, 07:01 AM
We will get stuff at the same rate Japan did, that's how they set it up. Pay attention...

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 07:02 AM
From my observations most people who support waiting for content that has been finished months ago do not understand many posts on these forums. As if they can not read english, it is just uncomprehendable to them.

daylight129
Nov 6, 2006, 07:03 AM
On 2006-11-06 04:01, ShadowDragon28 wrote:

So much easier said than done when someone's been waiting anxiously for years to see his game come out.

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 07:04 AM

But I do like PSU, I love it. I play it everyday and I already have 70 hours logged into my character and gain many hours each day. I never even said I didn't like PSU, thanks for reading the topic.

Weakness
Nov 6, 2006, 07:06 AM

Never understood why so many people insist on picking on my name. It is a stale and weak insult at best. I used it in FF XI for 3 years, I have heard all the jokes you can come up with.

And I am playing Final Fantasy XII now, because PSU has been out two weeks and I have already accomplished most everything I wanted. I beat the offline story, have a level 38 character with the best attainable equipment, and am sick of feeding my PM.

The fact the game has just come out and many say there is a lack of content and are already bored says something about this game. It is not just the US that is whining as well, mind you.

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 07:07 AM
I think I see what's going on. People start reading the original post, but then they decide reading is boring. So instead they make something up and pretend that it was said in the original post and respond to it.

daylight129
Nov 6, 2006, 07:09 AM
Okay, first of all, stop getting so defensive Mark. Nobody is biting your head off.

Nextly, on the content. Not everyone ran out to get this game on release, hell some people might be buying it tomorrow. I think ST wants to give a good base amount of time to slightly cascade the PSU feel over our PSO embodied brains, then when we are satisfied with the "not as good" game that we all thought it was to PSO, they give us our updates and we all are happy and stop complaining, while playing in PSU at a much more addictive drive than PSO.

Perfect world though.

ShadowDragon28
Nov 6, 2006, 07:13 AM
OMG, it's only been 12 days. PSU is not FFXI or WoW. It's not an MMO. Expectations and demads are through the roof. Dang, people need to relax.

PSU wasn't meant for grindfests through the current stuff. I'm in *no* rush to get online right now.

After reading all the vitriol, negativity, complaints, whining coming from people.
IDk if I even want to play online, maybe in a month from now though.

I'm not going online because of any "lack" of content, but simply because I not seeing too many mature, calm and relaxed players that just want to have fun instead of spam-grinding the same
1-2 missions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-11-06 04:18 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Nov 6, 2006, 07:14 AM
On 2006-11-06 03:55, Marks wrote:

It has been out for months in Japan. You clearly did not read my topic or did not understand it at all. Seriously did you just read the topic title and then barge in here with a quick reply?

Yes, and I've played the Japanese version for two months, and this HORRIBLE SHITTY VERSION for 10 (fricking) days, and I don't actually have a problem with it. At all.

We had WAY more crap to deal with on JP. Like you wouldn't imagine. And we pay more for it.

You're a whiner. A great, big, bloody whiner.

Anyway I prefer US. For the single, satisfying reason that my best friend in the goddamn world is playing it with me. You've lost sight of the REAL reason for playing a COMMUNITY GAME.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2006-11-06 04:16 ]</font>

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 07:14 AM
On 2006-11-06 04:09, daylight129 wrote:
Okay, first of all, stop getting so defensive Mark. Nobody is biting your head off.

Nextly, on the content. Not everyone ran out to get this game on release, hell some people might be buying it tomorrow. I think ST wants to give a good base amount of time to slightly cascade the PSU feel over our PSO embodied brains, then when we are satisfied with the "not as good" game that we all thought it was to PSO, they give us our updates and we all are happy and stop complaining, while playing in PSU at a much more addictive drive than PSO.

Perfect world though.

Well by this logic anyone that buys the game has to wait 1 month (or however long it is) after the date they bought the game to be able to get the updates. However I sincerely thank you for responding with a direct and corent post. In fact I would agree that is it indeed nice to have a little time to get familiar with the game before big updates but I can not say this is a valid reason to withhold content.

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 07:16 AM
On 2006-11-06 04:04, Marks wrote:

But I do like PSU, I love it. I play it everyday and I already have 70 hours logged into my character and gain many hours each day. I never even said I didn't like PSU, thanks for reading the topic.

Yes I am a whiner. I am not trying to discuss valid points or anything, I am just whining about this game.

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 07:18 AM
This just flew over their heads, oh the mob mentality, now I see how the Tyranos Imperius Rex acended.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMaruku on 2006-11-06 04:19 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Nov 6, 2006, 07:19 AM
I have like 500 hours plus logged, so what?

It's a Japanese game so they should get content first.

So what? You think Japan gets content for US games at the same time you do? Unless they are shared server then no, they don't.

Ichy
Nov 6, 2006, 07:19 AM
Trickling content slowly increases longevity in MMOs, proven fact. These guys are out to make money. If, oh I don't know, 5% of the player base quits because they are unhappy with content but annother 15% buys the game and signs up that's still a 10% increase in startup AND residual monthly income. Couple that with the fact that they already have a working business model in the Japanese release and you can see they know exactly what they're doing. I'd do it that way, too.

AnamanaAU
Nov 6, 2006, 07:20 AM
Whining about this is totally going to make the content come out faster.

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 07:21 AM
The best way to increase longevity is to have expsion packs with decent ammounts of content. Sonic Team don't have it in them to do that. They have not yet struck the balance and probley never will.

FlakariLeader
Nov 6, 2006, 07:22 AM
The game Ragnarok Online has a Korean server and an "International" or American server. The Korean version got an update and EVERYONE on the International version waited for six months or more. Some people knew about the update before it even came out and brought the information to english forums. People knew what they were waiting for.

I've seen worse.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FlakariLeader on 2006-11-06 04:24 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 07:26 AM
Ragnarok Online is insignificant. it's only for thsoe with weaksauce systems.

Pob
Nov 6, 2006, 07:28 AM
Sonic team said they want to release content slowly to develop the story - which was one reason for not linking US/JP servers.

Considering it's not out in Europe yet, and we will share the US servers, perhaps there won't be any new content until the EU release - November 24th.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pob on 2006-11-06 04:28 ]</font>

Ichy
Nov 6, 2006, 07:28 AM
On 2006-11-06 04:21, ShinMaruku wrote:
The best way to increase longevity is to have expsion packs with decent ammounts of content. Sonic Team don't have it in them to do that. They have not yet struck the balance and probley never will.

Oh, I don't know about that one, ShinMaruku. I mean, I agree it does increase a game's longevity, expansion packs, but in my experience you see just about as many people leave a game over them as you see people join. Full fledged expansion packs tend to change a game too dramatically and change just about the entire mechanics of a game (Anarchy Online), bringing all sorts of new and interestingly frustrating bugs to work out. Conversely they can also bring nothing at all but new skins and sprites, a few new maps, and hours more of the same old grind (FFXI... granted that chocobo raising is cool, but I left far before that). Small content patches as they go, however, keeps a hooked player drooling for more, be they happy about it or otherwise, and they're easier to test and implement. Not to mention free, your subscription payed for it already http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

*sry for relatively off-topic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ichy on 2006-11-06 04:29 ]</font>

FlakariLeader
Nov 6, 2006, 07:29 AM
On 2006-11-06 04:26, ShinMaruku wrote:
Ragnarok Online is insignificant. it's only for thsoe with weaksauce systems.

That's why I quit the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Schubalts
Nov 6, 2006, 07:36 AM
But RO was still a good example of a MUCH longer wait between two versions of the same game, in different regions. Doesn't matter if it was a good game or not. I'd take 1 month for PSU over the 6+ months(or never) RO had.

AnamanaAU
Nov 6, 2006, 07:47 AM
At least by the time a real expansion disc comes out, we'd have slowly weened new content and we'll get another slow content release. As long as everything's paced, there's gonna be something new to look forward to. Would you rather have everything in the first 2 months, then wait a year for an expansion?

Dai-Kitana
Nov 6, 2006, 07:50 AM
Strictly from a business standpoint, it's understandable and in Sega's best interest to release content over time. (as mentioned earlier).

Progression of the storyline also falls in line with content being released over time. (offline NPC's quests added down the road online for partner cards, advancing plotlines).

If they released the game with 'everything' unlocked form the start, ppl would complain about there being nothing left to do, nothing new.

You would see "OMGZ Why are we paying $10 a month for a game with no updates!1!1!" threads as opposed to the "OMGZ Why are Sega not releasing NEW STUFF ALREADY" garbage that has been floating around the boards lately.

Take your pick.

mastashake
Nov 6, 2006, 08:02 AM
I think some of you should realize that psu is not very popular and that most of the people playing it have played pso. Now if people start quiting more people will not take there place.. Also i see alot of people saying "Well this game has only been out for 12 days" well its only been out for 12 days and people are beating the game and complaining abou how short it is atm. And the people defending are worse then the complainers because they know there is a problem and choose not to do anything about.

Sekani
Nov 6, 2006, 08:22 AM
Waiting for "locked" content wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't the monthly fee attached as well.

AkiraXxx
Nov 6, 2006, 08:25 AM
On 2006-11-06 05:22, Sekani wrote:
Waiting for "locked" content wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't the monthly fee attached as well.

Indeed, 10 bucks isnt that bad for this game. Atm, 5 bucks seems more resonable though lol. 15 would have been out of the damn question, alot of people would have been canceld there subscriptions after the first week lol.

SomeWeasel
Nov 6, 2006, 08:28 AM
I notice the people defending "not unlockin stuff soon" already have the japanese version and want us to justily wait just as long as they did. The other ones are the casual players that don't want a sense of left behind the more dedicated fan. The only good thing about casual players is buying the market us hardcore folk provide. They complain about us all the time, oh well I say. They are just going to leave for something else anyways before much is released and probably never come back.

Honestly no matter how many hours you have racked up you want to see more red boxes that give you a warm fuzzy feeling when its actually something cool you can use right then and there. Also its sucks that they are toying us with rare drops we can't even use. Also who cares what works in Japan. Our gaming culture here tends not to like Korean style grinds.

Ecstasy
Nov 6, 2006, 08:32 AM
This game has the lowest available content i have seen for any Online RPG launch in the last 5 years. What sega needs to realize, is the Japanese, and othere asian countries enjoy repetitive gameplay. But the Western world does not, look at RF online, and Archlord just to name a couple. They both were Smash hits in asia, but when they were brought over to america they failed miserably. Sure they are still up and running, but very few barley play them.

I love PSU but at this rate, In less then 6 months only the fanbois, and truely dedicated fans will still be around. I don't know about you but ive played 100% free online games with more content then this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ecstasy on 2006-11-06 05:33 ]</font>

Realmz
Nov 6, 2006, 08:32 AM
assuming that most of the people complaining got the 180 day subscription, technically this first month of "little content" is actually free.

for those that got the 30 day sub your only paying $5.28 for it

erwos
Nov 6, 2006, 08:39 AM
I see a lot of fuzzy reasoning:
1. "You should play slower and more casual." This is a hard-core grind game. That's not the sort of gameplay type that attracts casual players - indeed, it attracts the hardcore who grind five hours a day.
2. (Variation) "You've played too much." I seriously doubt most of the people who are complaining are playing 8-16 hours a day. But, on another level, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to play as much as they want from launch, and have new content to play with for a couple weeks.
3. "If they unlocked everything and then they didn't add more, you'd just complain about that." No, then we'd complain that Sega was taking our money and not adding new code to the game. We wouldn't complain about the unlocked content per se. Sega is getting a monthly fee - it's not unreasonable to expect them to put actual developer resources onto the game. When you run out of content to unlock, write more - they can stash it server-side, if need be.
4. "The Japanese waited for the update, so should we." Why? Wouldn't the smarter way to handle this be synchronized releases? The Japanese thought the game sucked on release, too! How can you possibly blame the NA/EU crowd from complaining about the same?

erwos
Nov 6, 2006, 08:44 AM
On 2006-11-06 05:32, Realmz wrote:
assuming that most of the people complaining got the 180 day subscription, technically this first month of "little content" is actually free.

for those that got the 30 day sub your only paying $5.28 for it
Or you could do what I did - cancel your monthly subscription, and wait for them to make it worth paying for. For those of you who paid six months in advance, you just got your first month wasted. Sorry about that.

The first content update is _not_ going to magically add all the content needed, unless they bring us to parity with the Japanese. The game needs a lot more work than that first update.

Mystil
Nov 6, 2006, 08:50 AM
OH MY GOD people do you not have friends that you mess around in the game with??? Go put your diapers on and go make the game fun for yourselves while waiting. Do relic runs with NO ARMOR, or the dragon with *lvl1* players(you figure out how to get there). This isn't a freaking race to cap and goodies and BS. You truely would not make it in FFXI lol! Synth items to get yourselves ready because this is the calm before the storm. The game seems mad easy but it's a front. I'd love it when the hard stuff is released and people complaining that "it's too hard, need better weapon/armor" LOL. This isn't PSO, its going to get hard and you WILL wait for changes/improvements/fixes.

Collar
Nov 6, 2006, 08:57 AM
"I registered just to post this. Woo.

Anyway. Outside of the lobby areas, the entire game runs in instanced encounters, (although you could consider the lobbies instanced as well, due to the universe swapping dealio). A single server probably handles quite a few of these for each area, if not more depending on the popularity of a particular area. The game was just released, and the server count is probably pretty low for each area.

However, as content is unlocked, new areas are bound to get a lot of traffic. So that involves predicting and charting the work-load of new machines placed to order. Consider the current content much like a test to determine how everything runs based on putting the most stress possible on a system. New content will lessen the stress on certain areas, and increase the stress on others, (especially new content).

From a strategic standpoint, having a lack of content upon release ensures that newer machines will be able to be installed quickly and work properly with a heavy work-load when new content is released, or, when the popularity of a particular area shifts priority. This, of course would be based on what is currently available and how it is handled with the machines up to date.

Areas that are popular will require more servers. And popularity fluctuates with time.

For example: six months from now, it's probably going to be pretty predictable that a lot of the 'newbie' missions won't be seeing a lot of heavy traffic, (as most of the player base will be past the lower levels). So, those servers will get cut down somewhat, and funds will work toward maintaining the systems taking the brunt of the hits.

The whole process takes time, and costs money. That's what you're paying 10$ a month for and why content is released procedurally.

SomeWeasel
Nov 6, 2006, 09:21 AM
Not make it in FFXI? In FFXI I was able to keep progressing my character towards stuff for months and months to come and and not feel some sense of a wall where I can't progess any further. I feel this way only after a week in PSU. Basically I'm just trying to make teraline and raise my pm's battle levels. As for my character itself, it feels after I am successful in making that armor I got nothing left to really search for or do with her. Its sort of a let down that I have put in 130 hours and I have only seen two rare weapon boards.

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 12:50 PM
Shame this got moved to this part becuase some really valdi ponts are being raised.
On another note it's crap like this that won't allow for another Nights.

Marks
Nov 6, 2006, 04:17 PM
Yeah a lot of people misunderstood the essence of this topic because they either can't read or went into a mob mentality. "He dare speak out against the PSU?! Tar and feather this heathen!"

Anyway let me ask you what you are paying your $10 a month for. Are you paying for development costs? No, your $50 already did that. Are you paying to maintain servers? Somewhat, but Sega doesn't need $10 just to maintain servers. With $10 they could maintain servers and employ GMs and employ developers to actually write new content. Maybe there are GMs, I don't really know, but are there developers writing new cotent? No. The content is already made. Now if they aren't writing new content, is paying your $10 justified?

I know you would pay them $10 no matter what, but it is not right. I am just here to let you know that you are being fooled. Yes you may enjoy the game enough now to pay $10 anyway, but you are supposed to be paying $10 so that developers can have enough of a salary to work on the game and make new content, your not supposed to be paying $10 just to play the game you already bought.

ShinMaruku
Nov 6, 2006, 10:25 PM
The $10 fee is just for them to be lazy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMaruku on 2006-11-06 19:26 ]</font>

Mystil
Nov 9, 2006, 09:03 AM
Now the lack of new stuff is beginning to cut into my fun because it's making people stop playing the game. I got nothing against playing with lower level players but it's been very hard these past 2 days finding a game with people doing B or A missions and over 25. If I make a game, people join but it's usually low levels with a lot of bravado and will do B missions with me. And the universe list looks sad.

Oh well, complaining rushes no trains...