PDA

View Full Version : General Consensus

Destin
Nov 6, 2006, 10:39 AM
After a week of playtime, a level 39 Newman Force/Hunter, I've come to realize a few things about PSU that cause it to differ immensely from PSO.

Don't shoot me if it seems like this has all been said, there's a very good reason for it, just wait for it.

When I started my career as a force, I figured I'd have the uphill battle from being a magic dependant class. Luckily, my starting Foie spell happened to dispatch most foes rather effortlessly, and I saw little, if any, need for alternate weapons for the time being. Linear Line C over and over again, probably got me to about level 8-9 before I discovered the wonders of Parum.

By the time I had gotten to Parum, I still had not even gained Force level 2 yet, however my resolve was not broken and I got to the midpoint lobby of Parum, and decided it was time to take out that De Ragan solo style, I mean cmon... the Forest Dragon was a cinch in PSO.

I got through with a bit of difficulty, but at this time I had picked up a 800 Meseta Rod to bolster my casting capabilities. I got through, and was staring a somewhat familiar teleporter right in the face, so I charged up and commenced with the assault on the De Ragan.

I get mauled in 20 seconds... get pissed, and get back in there to whomp him. I make it to about 3 minutes before a lucky fire blast completely levels me again. At the same time, I'm wondering why he hadn't gone down yet... and also why Barta was only hitting it once. While running around and casting, I'd shoot him with my handgun a few times, never for anything more than 0 damage either...

At this point I felt as if I were slightly gimped for soloing of ANY kind as a Force. I then tried my luck with Relics C, which took me a good hour or so the first time simply because of the new kinds of enemies. I noticed a very nice thing though, the large thunder element beasts dropped a LOT of Meseta (for the level and difficulty) upon defeat.

By this time I had become level 10 and finally hit Force level 2. I headed to my local weapons store and picked up a few more tech disks, including the now invaluable Resta. I also inquired with the group I played with about the fabled 5* weapons that I had seen flying about... so I farmed Relics C for an entire weekend, and had about 12k Meseta and a lot of items ready for me...

I head over to Parum, get to the GRM shop and pick up a Cane board for about 9k, leaving me with barely enough to get the boards to convert the materials I needed. I set it up, and go farming again.

I return to a monomate, so I set up another synthesis. Farm again, come back, and I'm now the proud owner of a 5* weapon. Still giddy with the excitement of having the strongest current in game wand, I set off to have it grinded. Having full luck that day I was confident to get it to grind level 4... only to have it break on me while still in it's shiny little case at grind level 2. At this point I was about to completely drop the game, but I swallowed my pride and lost Meseta, and started doing C De Ragan runs with friends.

A few days pass and I'm now in my mid 20's with a 4* Scepter found on a said De Ragan run. I'd started to feed my PM, but only feeding it staffs from Relics C runs wasn't doing much... so I decided to try using Tech disks... 10k meseta later my PM is only Technic level 2 and I'm thinking it wasn't the best idea to purchase those disks...

I start the final attempt on my Cane Synth, farm, and return to a Star Atomizer, as well as a net loss of well over 50k. I then figure "screw it, leveling to farm stuff faster" and commence B Ragan runs for the remainder of my day and weekend. The week nears it's end, and I'm approaching level 30 with decent speed (nothing compared to the poopsockers who already have a combat capable PM and are level 45+). Since I work, I couldn't play PSU as much as I wanted to either, but I still made due.

I farmed up around 35k and went out to buy a Hajirod and Cane board each, set both up to synth, and return one hour later to a brand new Hajirod and Cane, as well as a swollen e-peen. Farming was becoming rediculously easy now, one or two spells could take down everything short of the boss and the relics rhinos.

And the other night I came across a Crea Saber board, attempted the synth, and failed much to my dismay, but didn't feel cheated. I'm currently saving up for another Synth so that when I go Wartecher or Fortecher, I'll have a better sword than most hunters/fortefighters/figunners.

In all of that, I came across maybe 2 or 3 little things that could probably be implimented easily, but still might not even warrant a change.

1. Force spells, sure we rock against single creatures and rape them with incredible speed... but why can I hit the De Ragan in multiple spots with say the Dagger PA for multiple hits on multiple sections, and yet Rabarta only strikes it once?

2. Upgrade boards (1* -> 2* Synth Materials, etc.) are a nice thing, but what I wouldn't give to turn my 10+ Upseline into 50 Marseline...

3. Those god forsaken worms on Neudiaz... need I say more?

With that out of the way... I now come to a point I only slightly mentioned in my story... poopsockers. Now I can understand one's desire to completely max out in say WoW or FFXI... but PSU doesn't really cater much to the poopsocker much aside from getting filthy rich very early on and removing yourself from most kinds of fun (unless of course you're scrooge mcduck and love wiping money all over your privates) I'll admit that being nearly 40 is a minor poopsocker, but I did have work and school during the week and still managed that.

The most fun I've found in this game is sitting on Ventrillo with my friends joking as we steamroll A Ragan and take breaks to show off our latest Anime-esque cut-in's, all the while interjecting the occasional "heal pls" between all of the jokes and laughter.

So exactly what do YOU do to make this game awesome for you?

tl:dr

Do you poopsock or actually realize this is a video game and not a job?

Dhylec
Nov 6, 2006, 10:44 AM
Do you poopsock or actually realize this is a video game and not a job?
Agreed. Unfortunately, some do not see that.

AeraLure
Nov 6, 2006, 10:53 AM
I tried and couldnt find the point to the story, though I have had some similar experiences myself, except to comment on the last bit:

As to it being a video game vs a job: well yes, of course, a video game. True many dont draw the line between the two seemingly, but PSU differs from PSO, at least at the moment, in that you truly need to work on and develop a PM to high levels before you can open up rare item synthesis. This brings a level of grind of a different variety to PSU than we had in PSO. Its why there are so many in PSU in locked rooms just grinding on end. Not necessarily a good or a bad thing, but levels come out of that activity pretty easy. I dont care much at all for my level - but I do care about meseta earned so I can level that darned PM lol.

What do I do in it for fun? I set aside a few hours a day where I grind to a certain meseta total (else the PM will never be done). Then I let that rest and play random things with a few friends or with random people, with not a care in the world as to what I find or earn. The game would too easily and quickly turn into a meseta grindfest if I didnt do that.

Caukin
Nov 6, 2006, 11:01 AM
I personally think this game is awesome. I thought PSO was awesome. This game has pretty much everything PSO had plus more. The player shops are great. the Nanoblast and SUVs are amazing. I got to play around with those very late last night but the two times I got too transfer into a beast was amazing. They did this game right. I did the re dragon probably 20 times yesterday. And i had fun every time i did it.

Realmz
Nov 6, 2006, 11:22 AM
i'm having tons of fun looking for decorations (along with shopping through shops for the lowest prices, 500 meseta 60atp unit ftw!) some people think that PMs and rooms are wastes of time tho D:

I can't WAIT until we get vehicles tho, playing through the desert area on that tank looks awesome http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif