PDA

View Full Version : About owning your own shop.

Durkan
Nov 6, 2006, 03:45 PM
I too, currently own my own shop, and to get a good estimate of what I should price things, I check other shops prices. Currently, for example, there will be someone selling photons for around 20, some selling for 50, and some selling 150. My question is, will the person selling photons for 150 actually make money? If so, I think I might start rising my prices since I make sure my items are cheaper than everyone elses, but my profit is crap.

Silver_Wyrm
Nov 6, 2006, 03:48 PM
On 2006-11-06 12:45, Durkan wrote:
I too, currently own my own shop, and to get a good estimate of what I should price things, I check other shops prices. Currently, for example, there will be someone selling photons for around 20, some selling for 50, and some selling 150. My question is, will the person selling photons for 150 actually make money? If so, I think I might start rising my prices since I make sure my items are cheaper than everyone elses, but my profit is crap.

no one will buy photons for 150, I can hardly sell them for 30 usually

A good basis is average your prices at 50% NPC selling price, popular items you can push up a little, and unpopular/common items down a bit. If your goign topush it up in price, I'd say dont go above 75% vendor price even if its a really good seller, because it has to be some kind of deal for anyone to want to buy it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-11-06 12:50 ]</font>

Numnuttz
Nov 6, 2006, 03:50 PM
he might and he might not. he is under NPC price but there are people lower than he is. i dont think photons sell to much either really cause i used to try and sell photons myself which turned out to be no one ever really buying them. i priced them at 100 myself which turned out be be maybe a few hundred protfit only.

Ri0T
Nov 6, 2006, 03:50 PM
I sometimes price my things up to 75% off, and they still don't sell. If the item you are selling is flooding the market, it doesn't really matter if you sell it for 1 Meseta. No one is going to be searching for it, so it's just going to collect dust. Fill your slots with the pricier, more popular items that will sell.

Dealer
Nov 6, 2006, 03:55 PM
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT sell photons for over 100. The NPC shops sell them for that, and I am not throwing free money away. There is nothing I hate more than coming to someone's shop to discover they are a rip-off artist.

And yes, it's important to go lower than NPC shops just to be practical. But if you're pricing stuff to move, it has to be cheap enough to move at current demand. If item X is being used to synth alot and nothing is out there in other stores, charge %75 of NPC. If there is alot out there or it's not used to synth, move the slider down to 25% of NPC shops.

Most importantly, do your research, and before you put the item up for sale.

Bast
Nov 6, 2006, 03:57 PM
A good buyer will shop around first for the items they need. I first check the shops for the items I need and compare the prices with all the player ran shops who have that item for sale. Then I will simply buy the one I see that’s cheapest.

I think that those who over severely overprice their items either A. have no idea how much those items truly cost (NPC ran shops) or B. do not check other shops to have a competitive price. And boy, have seen some [i.e. Marseline(sp?) sells for 1.2k in NPC shop, players selling for higher].

So if a smart buyer checks each player ran shop and the NPC shop to buy the least expensive item/supplies then that person’s wares will never move.

I would imagine in strange situation, someone who didn’t want to trouble themselves to compare prices, just came upon photons for 150 and said “Oh, I need to synth this (whatever the kids are synthing these days) so bad, I don’t care how much I spend, I need the items ASAP!” Then they would get bought. This situation, I highly doubt.

In conclusion, no I don’t think so. But that is better for everyone else who has reasonable prices. Competition is good, gets the buyer the best price.

Keldog
Nov 6, 2006, 04:01 PM
Popular items usually move at 25% off. Unpopular items at 75%. You can always start high and lower them or vica-versa. Looking at what a large number of people sell them for helps, but if you just look at a few you could get a poor average.

Have fun with your new shop!

MaKaVeLi_X
Nov 6, 2006, 06:24 PM
do people really buy photons? I have tons from just exping and i tryed to sell some for cheap (50) and never sold any.

BloodDragoon
Nov 6, 2006, 06:36 PM
Rule of thumb. Sell cheaper than buying from an NPC but more than what you sell it for to an NPC.

And I use excess photons to raise ranged on one of my PM's lol granted it goes up by a whole 4 points each I'm not complaining with 200 or so gra-photons that didnt cost me anything.

pso123hrf
Nov 6, 2006, 07:03 PM
Photons are really easy to get these days. I say dont sell it.

I had certain weapons to sell (not gonna say what) and i made 2000 when i came back in like 20 minutes. Like over 30 people came to my room!

Plus, others have to go to other peoples room for them to get to yours.

Saigan
Nov 6, 2006, 08:05 PM
I sell photons pretty cheap and they move quickly.

Durkan
Nov 6, 2006, 08:09 PM
Well ty for info guys, I think my shop will just be the essentials now, no photons, but weapons and such

MaxyGuy
Nov 6, 2006, 08:10 PM
Please try to sell at least 50% from NPCs x_x.. don't do like those idiots selling ungrinded 3 stars weapons for 5000 meseta.