PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 on gamespot!!!!

stvnbrs
Nov 6, 2006, 05:11 PM
Is it me or is the reviewer seem biased? If you are going to rate a game please make sure that you didn't already make up your own mind before you even play. If you are going to be like that, then you don't need to be reviewing. Just my opinion. (and yes I am biased) BTW you can see the review by clicking the link below:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/phantasystariv/review.html?sid=6161046

Pentence
Nov 6, 2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah it does seem that the reviewer is a bit biased since he is mostly only showing the bad side of the game he makes a couple of nice points like the personal shops being good.All at once tho he is fair it is not a "modern game" but that was not the intent of sega anyhow.Also he seems a bit reluctant to point out that it realy is an incomeplete game as it hasnt all been released yet so he should have pointed that out more,you ant realy judge a book by the first 10 chapters if it is over 200 long can you?

s3rial
Nov 6, 2006, 05:38 PM
I was mostly nodding in agreement: the game is dated, and there really isn't enough content. And to be completely honest, I don't think he spends nearly enough attention on bashing what might be the worst interface ever seen in a game.

...but he completely misses out on the fun factor. And, well... then there's this gem:

Asshat reviewer wrote: The three character classes all have different specialties. The hunter gets all the good melee weaponry, the ranger is the best with guns, and the force can use the game's best spell, technics.

Huh? Did he even play a force at all? Did he play the game at all?

Doesn't even mention Casts' SUV weapons, or character customization, or... well, much of anything. PSU is, at its core, a braindead hack-and-slash. But it's a braindead hack-and-slash with some fancy bells and whistles, dammit!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: s3rial on 2006-11-06 14:42 ]</font>

Latiku
Nov 6, 2006, 06:12 PM
Wow, gamespot really let me down on this one. I usually go to them first because I valued their opinion. Now, I just don't know.
Seems like it is near impossible to get a decent score if the game's advertisments aren't thrown all over the site.
Granted, he did make some points but a 6.8? This guy must not be playing the same game I am. I mean, FFXI got a 8.0 and it is such a broken team system. Where as in PSU, you can just pick up and play and not have to have certain classes to hope to survive and level efficiently. I do apologize to all FFXI player if I offended anyone, that was not my intent.

I do agree, it seems like this guy had his own ideas going in. His snide "At this point, does anyone even remember Nei or anything else from the old Phantasy Star role-playing games?" comment just shows he feels himself somewhat of an elitist and such.

::sigh:: Ya did me wrong gamespot, ya did me wrong.

BydoEmpire
Nov 6, 2006, 06:17 PM
That wasn't a very good review, imho. He didn't mention ANYTHING about the gameplay. At all. Sounds like his big gripe was that there's a monthly fee to play online. I think a game should be based on its own merit, and then leave it to buyers to decide if it's worth the price. The monthly fee is certainly a valid issue to bring up, and I know some people that didn't get it because of the fee, but that shouldn't be factored into the game's rathing. I'm not a big fan of Gamespot's reviews in general, I've read several that came across as if they barely played the game at all.

AlphaMinotaux
Nov 6, 2006, 06:34 PM
i dont read game reviews anymore, i havent for the past 2-3 years. I find games based on what i like.

Sexy_Raine
Nov 6, 2006, 07:15 PM
You suck Gamespot!

It was really a half-assed review, I'm pretty sure he hasn't even played that much of the game. Gamespot didn't even give it a great preview, like they didn't really care for the game.

DONTOSE
Nov 6, 2006, 07:40 PM
man i hate gamespot they just rate thier games on how they want to not on how they look and how they are and who the hell cares about the online fees if you dont like the $10.00 a mounth online fee then dont go online just play the free extra mode damb game spot made me angry they just went a head and made it get a 6.8 and do you know what is really funny about this is that the person who rated it gave the Graphics a 6 and pso got a Graphics rating of a 7 oo and pso got a better gameplay score to it got an 8 in gameplay an 8 and do you know how much they gave psu a 7 man a 7 thats not rigth thats just not rigth

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DONTOSE on 2006-11-06 16:42 ]</font>

Flame
Nov 6, 2006, 08:07 PM
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=740219
here's a slightly more positive review. I find myself very much agreeing with the final paragraph.

MAGNUShunter
Nov 6, 2006, 09:01 PM
Man!
I didnt read ANY reviews on this game cause I did'nt want anyone poisoning my mind! lol.
Now you went and did it !!!

johnnydarko1
Nov 6, 2006, 09:24 PM
The game definitely needs more content, though, guys. It is severely lacking in that department. There aren't nearly enough missions and the game itself feels incredibly claustrophobic compared to other persistent-world games.

Evolution
Nov 6, 2006, 10:31 PM
I havn't read the ps2/pc review of PSU on gamespot but the link that was posted in this thread was the 360 version. With the 360 version you have to take into consideration that its a port, and at gamespot bad ports really hurt the end score. I myself am on the 360 version and graphically the game looks fine, i'd even go as far as to say it looks great when compared to pso, however its not like PSU is using much of the processing power that the 360 has, its a shame to see that the game wasn't optimized better, the single player is plagued with slow down, even multiplayer is affected with slowdowns when a game like psu should not have any slowdowns.

The lag is also kinda bad in psu, even though i've gotten used to it, usually there are characters warping all over the place. I'm a fan of pso/psu which is why i've spent so much time with it in the past and will continue to do so in the future, that being said I definatly agree with a lot of what the gamespot review had to say.

Ryogen
Nov 6, 2006, 10:40 PM
I don't read or believe in reivews. I play what I see interest me. So many people listen to these reviewers in mags and on the internet and it's just redicilious. Did you know that some reviewers are payed off how to rate the game? Some of you will jump off a cliff if the jump was givin a high rating and it was called Super Sucide 4. I stear clear of them, they even play out of their genre and will rate it. If you want to play based on ratings, go for user ratings. They are much more honest to the people who put their time into reviewing.

If you enjoy what you play then don't read reiews. They can even lie and give false about the whole damn thing and people will go after it. Take a look with the following games IGN rated: Chromehounds, Beatdown: Fist of vengence, and The Bouncer (they changed the score and raised it up but back in the day it was gave a poor rating).

Carnage781
Nov 6, 2006, 11:28 PM
It got a 6.4 >_<.

Deja
Nov 6, 2006, 11:30 PM
Meh, I'm loving the hell outta it. Guess you just gotta be a PSO fanboy to give this game a 8+. I'd give it an 8.5 personally, and 9 when they finally release some stuff.

But a 6.4 seems reasonable, what with the millions playing MMORPGs now, they think if the game isn't like theirs, it isn't worth a monthly fee. Sorry, but I'd like some sort of action included with my MMORPGs, not just point, click, and wait.

Also, with the wave of new systems, they aren't to impressed with the graphics department, and I'm sure the PS2 slowdown doesn't help. Overall, a 7 or lower is to be expected, unless you loved PSO like I did.

Carnage781
Nov 6, 2006, 11:33 PM
This is muy first MMO actually, and I love it ^_^

Deja
Nov 6, 2006, 11:34 PM
And take into account the offline, which may not be to their "Final Fantasy" preferance. I personally love FF, but damn it, not all RPGs have to follow suit.

jnblz316
Nov 6, 2006, 11:51 PM
IGn just gave it a 6.4 and most of the complaining is coming from the no too much content aspect of it. It doesn't matter because I still love this game and I can't get enough of it.

Drayma
Nov 7, 2006, 12:02 AM
I talked to a GS editor and he said read the review.

therealAERO
Nov 7, 2006, 12:16 AM
what has no one played the eXplosive Offline RPG???? Fucking incredible!! In fact I stopped playing online so that I could have time to play Story Mode.

This has to be one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Its an actual real RPG too, not like PSOs was. Such a beautiful story, and awesome characters.

Oh and Hey I like Ethans voice, at least it isn't Steven Jay Blum, or Jonny Bosch or all those other GOD DAMN repetitive voice actors that I hear everywhere. Ethans voice is very unique and I love it...thank you

Flame
Nov 7, 2006, 01:24 AM
the story gets much less beautiful by the last chapter thanks very much.

Chimeria
Nov 7, 2006, 10:44 AM
On 2006-11-06 21:16, therealAERO wrote:
what has no one played the eXplosive Offline RPG???? Fucking incredible!! In fact I stopped playing online so that I could have time to play Story Mode.

This has to be one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Its an actual real RPG too, not like PSOs was. Such a beautiful story, and awesome characters.

Oh and Hey I like Ethans voice, at least it isn't Steven Jay Blum, or Jonny Bosch or all those other GOD DAMN repetitive voice actors that I hear everywhere. Ethans voice is very unique and I love it...thank you

Are you serious? Don't get me wrong. Story mode's story was decent and i did enjoy how it resembled an anime with a theme song and ending credits but the reason I got the game was to play as my own character. For those who can't get online at the moment, it sucks having to be forced to play through something with simple tasks. It's always the same. Talk around for a few. Show some cut scences. Then hack and slash, button mash your way through enemies. And when you think the mission is over, OH NO! Something else happens forcing you to kill your way through hordes of more monsters...
It's not really like a real RPG. Sure you level up and get better stats. But Basically, if you get better weapons you do more damage. You can also get through the whole game with simple armor as well. I didn' give a crap about ethan so i just kept giving him better weapons and leveling up his photon arts but didnt buy any armor that was over the 18000 meseta one and still, you can finish the game with it.
It gets annoying after a while. Maybe if I had played online first my opinion would differ.
Ethan did kick ass though. Nav is a cool character too. The ending was crap though.

And did anyone notice the "supernova" wannabe move that dark falkus used?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chimeria on 2006-11-07 07:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chimeria on 2006-11-07 07:50 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chimeria on 2006-11-07 07:51 ]</font>