PDA

View Full Version : An idea for Megid...

Sinue_v2
Nov 7, 2006, 01:54 PM
Wouldda, Couldda, Shouldda....

Yeah, this is a bit pointless since the game is already done and programmed. I've just been pondering this, and it seemed like such a decent idea that I'm surprised that it didn't make it into the game.

I'm really dissapointed that Megid has been reduced to the form it has. It was supposed to be the ultimate technique - a consumation of released anger, hatred, and violence. In previous PS games it's been extremely destructive - able to take down entire structures, often at the cost of life to your party or the corruption of your soul if used too often.

In PSO it was nearly useless... a purple fartball which almost never 1-hit killed an enemy outside of the Seabed. It couldn't even work on bosses. In PSU they improved it a bit - but took it even farther away from it's roots by simply (largely) returning and modifiying the "Gra" spells and then calling them Megid.

So how's this sound.. maybe Sonic Team will put it in the next game. Remember Golden Axe, there was a spell the Warrior would cast which would cause violent volcanic explosions all over the screen and decimate your enemies. I think this could have really worked in Phantasy Star Universe as a -human- answer to the Nanoblasts and SUVs which beasts and casts get.

Instead of buying it... you'd have to quest for the ability, and it would be a lvl 30+ at least quest. Perhaps requiring you to synth some items which need to be used durring (so that the cost factor would be there as well).

Casting the Technique (which, technically, would no longer be a technique) would cause the screen to shake and massive amounts of lvl-30 RaDiga looking explosions (perhaps with purple/red flame) to explode all over within a room for massive damage similar to SUVs.

That would have still left Numans out of the picture... but maybe they could have been given a newer and flashier Grants move similar to how it was in PSIII where it provides powrful sheilding (and stat boosts) for all team-mates for a short time.

I dunno... just a random thought.

Kerik
Nov 7, 2006, 02:22 PM
Eh, Megid never was a good spell for me in ANY PS. I always did more damage with attacks and such. I mean, sure, Megid could be devastating but...it was always so...lackluster. Besides, such a spell would be FAR to overpowering for Forces.

Human's getting Megid? Please. The only reason Beasts and Casts have SUV's and Nanoblast is because they take LARGE stat hits. I mean, really, I rather a normal Human or Newman over an SUV/Nanoblast anyday. But...I like being able to do it all.

Tetsuro
Nov 7, 2006, 02:45 PM
Megid may not be that great now, but I am curious to see what it will be like at level 30. Plus megistar is pretty awesome.

AngelLight
Nov 7, 2006, 02:58 PM
The basic megid....eh I'll prolly give it a pass when it comes out. But Megiverse is supposed to be a killer in the hands of mobs, so I'm hopeing it will also be majorly useful for players as well......Megistar is a huge booster from what I've heard and should complement well with both Megiverse and Giresta (assuming they dont over-write each other). Nosmegid sounds like a great finishing move to use after alot of Regrants usage or extended Megistar usage (with no healing). As for the other dmg spells, well I'm sure they'll have a place and will (hopefully) do some decent dmg.

I'm personally looking forward to playing a Dark Mage very soon, hope we see these techs come down the pike in the near future.

Legenden
Nov 7, 2006, 02:58 PM
Nice post, been thinking about the same stuff too, after I saw what they did to megid in PSO.
I do agree with what you said about megid in the older PS games beeing a far cooler and more tactical spell.
But again you couldn`t make a ultimate tech witch destroys everything and halves your teammates HP, I think no one would like beeing in group with you if that happned:)
They could make Grants a support tech as well, but then again where is my NEI sword???

I think we should just be happy with the things the way they are.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 7, 2006, 03:01 PM
I have to say, Megid started as something to soil your pants about in Phantasy Star II, became a plot device-only technique in Phantasy Star III (as Megiddo; an entirely more accurate Romanization, given the original source of the word to begin with), and heck, I thought it was nerfed in Phantasy Star IV when it became group-friendly. It was, in fact, a disappointment in PSO.

I have to say, it would've been nice to see a more traditional range of techniques in PSU; had they returned to the traditional Foie, Wat, Gra, Tsu/Thu, Fanbi, Vol, Gerun/Jellen, Shifta, Resta, Rever, et cetera, I think I could've been happy about that.

Albeit, they managed to build a fairly nicely structured element system with what they've got. I think I have to appreciate that, at the very least.

Still, I agree that it would be nice to see Megid as the devastating "OMFG!" attack that it has historically been; the physical manifestation of the caster's negative emotions.

Kent
Nov 7, 2006, 03:11 PM
I'm actually glad they changed Megid in this version. Now, it's just like the other basic techniques, just instead of an elemental status effect, it has a chance to incapacitate (but still does damage, otherwise).

I really hope Regrant doesn't suck online, like it does in Extra mode, though. Drains PP and HP, to do very minor damage when you hold down the button, even on enemies weak to light.

AngelLight
Nov 7, 2006, 03:29 PM
oh ok, so megid will still do damage as well (as opposed to just only do the kill attempt)? If that's the case, then yeah I'll prolly use megid alot then.

Keep in mind, you also get virus effects from Dark Magic (and Dark Bullet Arts).....I'm hoping that Virus will function in much the same way as a disease effect does in many cookie cutter type RPGs (that it will do an outright reduction of a certain % of both stats and HP of the target)....something like that would be both an awesome debuff for rangers (it would almost rival freeze that way especially on subbosses and bosses) and a really good reason to Nozumegid with the channeling costs (I think that's the spell that does virus).

Edit: So Regrants isn't that good? I hope that's just because it's being used at a low level. As for the leech effect....the best way to fix that is Giresta or Put out some Megiverses in between your Regranting. My guess at least...

Still, I do hope it's just a level issue you're running into.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AngelLight on 2006-11-07 12:32 ]</font>