PDA

View Full Version : People need to be more patient with PSU.

Velkyn
Nov 7, 2006, 06:31 PM
There IS content, it'll come. I don't understand why people are burned out ALREADY. Oh wait, I do. Because of rushing to 50. XD

Hm...I wonder if the Japanese complained when they couldn't play at launch because the game crashed, and then lost their characters and had to beta test for another month?

Yes, the game is unfinished. But the review sites have it wrong. 6.8 and 6.1 are being FAR too harsh. IGN's review is INCREDIBLY biased, and is largely contradicted by reader reviews and user ratings, and Gamespot's is a complaint about a monthly fee.

Yes, it's a fact that there are three bosses in the game right now. There are supposed to be 15+. There are maybe 5 dungeons right now. There are going to be 25. There are no vehicles right now. There are going to be. And so on and so on.

Don't forget, as I said before and I'm restating AGAIN...Japan went through MUCH WORSE than we did. And they got new content slower than we're getting it due to the technical problems on their end. So either have patience and realize the game has promise, or complain because you can't have it NOW NOW NOW!

Relax and things will come. The $10 isn't for nothing. Might I remind you that we have two free weeks, anyway? No one's paid for anything yet.

cobfab
Nov 7, 2006, 06:36 PM
1. This topic should be deleted
2. The JPs did complain a lot
3. The reviews are just about right as of how the game is now
4. When you first bought your GL, you already paid even though you get 2 weeks free. Check your purchase info, the expire date is 1 month after your 2 weeks. Even if you cancel your GL right away, the expire date is still 1 month after the 2 weeks so Sega gets paid as soon as you buy your GL.

Randomness
Nov 7, 2006, 06:39 PM
Heh, I'm like a kid in a candy store right now. I just switched my beast over to ranger, bought new guns and PAs, and I'm about to go to town!

daylight129
Nov 7, 2006, 06:40 PM
On 2006-11-07 15:36, cobfab wrote:
1. This topic should be deleted
2. The JPs did complain a lot
3. The reviews are just about right as of how the game is now
4. When you first bought your GL, you already paid even though you get 2 weeks free. Check your purchase info, the expire date is 1 month after your 2 weeks. Even if you cancel your GL right away, the expire date is still 1 month after the 2 weeks so Sega gets paid as soon as you buy your GL.

None of that makes Vel wrong about what he is saying. Take a stfu pill and be patient.

cobfab
Nov 7, 2006, 06:46 PM
Dude lol, Theres 4966743569834589 topics about this and I'm just saying this topic shouldn't have been created because it will cause nothing but trouble. Where in my post says that I was impatient and was whining? Noobs like you should take a stfu pill.

VanHalen
Nov 7, 2006, 06:46 PM
i think the japanese did complain there character was deleted i mean thats common sense anyone would i dont think anyone smiled for that. but your right people are complaing and rushing to max levels too fast and need to slow down and stuff and it was worst in japan with the character swapping

man: *wakes up as a woman and screams* *then checks down his shirt and smiles*

anyway when the new content comes out there just gonna rush through that and complain theres not enough though sega should have put all the planets there and just kept adding new missons and weapons that would have been sensible

Azure247
Nov 7, 2006, 06:47 PM
The only logical reason I can think of about why Sonic Team locked the majority of the content that is available offline is so that the game lasts longer online. We all know Sonic Team will make more moolah if their subscription base is long term.

ChocoboChad
Nov 7, 2006, 06:48 PM
I really agree with being more patient...but what really got me just now is that we are getting two free weeks. I totally forgot all about that. That's an excellent point. Nobody should be complaining for more content at this time. Think of it as getting on the servers earlier than you're supposed to and leveling there. I think SEGA was generous in letting us on.

SonicTMP
Nov 7, 2006, 06:49 PM
On 2006-11-07 15:31, Velkyn wrote:
There IS content, it'll come. I don't understand why people are burned out ALREADY. Oh wait, I do. Because of rushing to 50. XD

Not everyone rushes to 50 ya know. When the majority of the population plays only 2 maps it gets boring.

Hm...I wonder if the Japanese complained when they couldn't play at launch because the game crashed, and then lost their characters and had to beta test for another month?

Beleive it or not the japanese are human too. They complained just as much as we have. Everyone complains about something. It's not an english exclusive trait.

Yes, the game is unfinished. But the review sites have it wrong. 6.8 and 6.1 are being FAR too harsh. IGN's review is INCREDIBLY biased, and is largely contradicted by reader reviews and user ratings, and Gamespot's is a complaint about a monthly fee.

Well what exactlly do they have to review though? The main drive of PSU is online. Storymode is nice and all but you can beat it in a couple days. Having content locked isn't a popular idea, you don't see very many other games doing this. So thus the reviewers don't have much to review.

As for the monthly fee? As far as i understand you get charged right away and only have 2 weeks free. Any other online game out there that has fee's gives you an inital month free THEN charges you. Sometimes different isn't better. Granted it's a weak argument.

Yes, it's a fact that there are three bosses in the game right now. There are supposed to be 15+. There are maybe 5 dungeons right now. There are going to be 25. There are no vehicles right now. There are going to be. And so on and so on.

Don't forget, as I said before and I'm restating AGAIN...Japan went through MUCH WORSE than we did. And they got new content slower than we're getting it due to the technical problems on their end. So either have patience and realize the game has promise, or complain because you can't have it NOW NOW NOW!

Ya here's the thing. Due to the initial problems the japanese got a free month because of the problems at startup. Also their content release method is based on the offical dates of release. We get content updates roughly 2 months after japan gets them since the game got released in the US 2 months after japan got it.

Reality of it is, they have far too much of the content locked for release. However complaining abuot it won't help anything, but then complaning about the complaning doesn't really help anything either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SonicTMP on 2006-11-07 15:50 ]</font>

Azure247
Nov 7, 2006, 06:49 PM
Japan got an extra free month towards their subscription. I really see no reason to complain with a bonus like that.

VanHalen
Nov 7, 2006, 06:50 PM
but i think during that free month when the servers went back up you couldnt register an account only the people who already registered could play

Azure247
Nov 7, 2006, 06:50 PM
What you dont konw ChocoChad is that every online game give you a month free. Its part of advertising.

R3Dirkulous
Nov 7, 2006, 06:59 PM
On 2006-11-07 15:31, Velkyn wrote:

Relax and things will come. The $10 isn't for nothing. Might I remind you that we have two free weeks, anyway? No one's paid for anything yet.

I agree, well with most of it anyways. I'm just kinda fed up with reading people bash PSU
...I mean they have every right to do so, its their opinion, its just very disheartening. I happen to love the game and i dont think its cuz im a PSO fanboy, I believe its because i legitamately like the game, even though im sure maybe a little fan boyism plays a factor http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

aquafire
Nov 7, 2006, 07:06 PM
On 2006-11-07 15:47, Azure247 wrote:
The only logical reason I can think of about why Sonic Team locked the majority of the content that is available offline is so that the game lasts longer online. We all know Sonic Team will make more moolah if their subscription base is long term.

If that's true then I say SEGA's pretty pathetic. Good thing I'm an offliner.

jarek99
Nov 7, 2006, 07:08 PM
How do the review sites have it wrong? They were pretty spot on if you ask me. Would you care to explain why you believe their ratings are biased and too harsh? Both IGN and Gamespot waited a week or more before reviewing this game. They normally review a game the day before its released or the day of release. So they put some hours in to PSU and their review has merit. When you look at what other free online games have to offer, theres really no reason why PSU shouldnt be free to play online.

What baffles is me is that even YOU admit that the game is unfinished, yet you defend it like blind fanboy. Its people like you that are ok with getting the shaft that allows Sega to continue releasing sub-par software. Hell, we cant even get a free month while they finish the game! We are paying them to finish what we have already purchased lol. How's that for taking it in the rear? That may feel great for you, but I'll pass.

Why yes, yes they did.

Wow, 15 different bosses and 25 different dungeons? Hey, lets make it 40, no 50...no 1000! You are just making stuff up now. Do you have any proof to any of this? Lets see those web links.

Don't forget, as I said before and I'm restating AGAIN...Japan went through MUCH WORSE than we did.
Ok, fair enough. So should we be happy because we didnt get the shaft as badly as them? Oh hooray hooary! Thank you sega! You're too kind!

VanHalen
Nov 7, 2006, 07:08 PM
hey! instead of complaing hear complain to SEGA if enough people are angry wouldnt they do something about it? well if i was a company owner i would.

plus also i dont want to hear anyone else complaing about PSU it makes me cry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2006-11-07 16:10 ]</font>

ChocoboChad
Nov 7, 2006, 07:16 PM
On 2006-11-07 15:50, Azure247 wrote:
What you dont konw ChocoChad is that every online game give you a month free. Its part of advertising.

Maybe, but this is SEGA. >_>

Well, you're right. I didn't think about that.

People must have a lot of time on their hands to be leveled so high already. I saw a team of people with a level range of 47-49. I have about...55 hours on my file, and I'm level 22. That tells me people have been playing for over 120 hours (maybe, just a guess) in about, maybe a little over, two weeks...am I right?

^That just seems insane to me... 8-9 hours a day? A lot of people don't even play that much a week. You can't expect SEGA/Sonic Team/Whatever to keep up with that, really. I'm not too bored just yet.

Oh, and for that guy wanting proof for those numbers(bosses and stuff), here's what SEGA has to say. (http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=psu&lid=gp_psu&lpos=hp_gamelist) Not entirely sure if they mean online or off, but it's something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChocoboChad on 2006-11-07 16:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChocoboChad on 2006-11-07 16:23 ]</font>

aquafire
Nov 7, 2006, 07:20 PM
I love PSU so far (I'm offline), only problem I have is that I keep doing the HIVE over and over and I still haven't gotten a special weapon. Matter of fact I haven't gotten a special weapon from anywhere.

Dihnekis
Nov 7, 2006, 07:23 PM
15 bosses and 25 dungeons? That would be amazing, but I bet money theres never going to be a total of 10 dungeons for this game, and 7 maybe bosses. Come on, sega didn't even make different enemies for the areas, just reskinned the same ones over and over!

More and more I am coming to realize how pathetic an example of a modern game this is, the amount of content available right now is ridiculous, and I don't see any more coming for a while after this next patch.

With that said, I'm having a lot of fun with it cause i just love the PSO style... so I'm going to keep paying.

ZeldaSerenade
Nov 7, 2006, 07:24 PM
About most games that offer a free month before charging:

Many of the games that give a free month before they charge you do not have an offline mode like PSU does. The main examples that come to mind are World of Warcraft and Guild Wars (they're the most popular, and Guild Wars is free online I believe, so World of Warcraft is better). World of Warcraft is online-exclusive, meaning internet connection is mandatory; because of this, they allow their customers a free month of service to see if they like it before they're charged. This is different for PSU; Sega charges you immediately for online play because not only is there a 20 some hour Story mode, but there is also Extra mode, both of which are playable offline. After playing Story mode and/or Extra mode, you should already be used to the game and how it works, so you don't really need a free month of online service. If you don't like Story mode and Extra mode, then you probably won't like Network mode either. Even though you get 2 weeks or a month free online, Sega charges you immediately when you buy a Guardian License because they assume you won't be disappointed with what you're paying for.

jarek99
Nov 7, 2006, 07:27 PM
Oh, and for that guy wanting proof for those numbers(bosses and stuff), here's what SEGA has to say. Not entirely sure if they mean online or off, but it's something.
unsafe passage a
unsafe passage b
unsafe passage c
fight for food a
fight for food b
fight for food c
mad creatures a
mad creatures b
mad creatures c
sleeping warriors a
sleeping warriors b
sleeping warriors c

Sega probably considers that 12. I say its 4. So I guess thats 12 of the 20+. Add in De Ragan, neudiaz missions and whatever the new planet has and you've got just over 20ish so-called "missions".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jarek99 on 2006-11-07 16:30 ]</font>

VanHalen
Nov 7, 2006, 07:29 PM
On 2006-11-07 16:23, Dihnekis wrote:
15 bosses and 25 dungeons? That would be amazing, but I bet money theres never going to be a total of 10 dungeons for this game, and 7 maybe bosses. Come on, sega didn't even make different enemies for the areas, just reskinned the same ones over and over!

More and more I am coming to realize how pathetic an example of a modern game this is, the amount of content available right now is ridiculous, and I don't see any more coming for a while after this next patch.

With that said, I'm having a lot of fun with it cause i just love the PSO style... so I'm going to keep paying.

are you aware that boomas, goboomas, gigoboomas, evil sharks, pal sharks, guil sharks, gichichs, dubchichs, diemenians(i dont think thats spelt right) so and la dimenians were all reskins of each other but with different stats i dont think anyone complained about them now did they?(well then i joined this form when PSU was coming out so idk)

ZeldaSerenade
Nov 7, 2006, 07:31 PM
actually, gilchichs and dubchichs are quite different from the others, but I see your point. All they do is walk up to you, and slash.

Rajaxx
Nov 7, 2006, 07:34 PM
1: lol @ this topic

2: Anyone on this site knows everything here already.

3: Who cares about reviews? I gave up on gamespot a long time ago. And I never trusted IGN in the first place =P

4: For those crying about all the content not being open? Oh well, deal with it, its buisness(spelling?), SEGA wants to make money, they arent going to cater to every single person.

5: YES it would be nice to have more stuff, YES what we have now is very limited, but if you have a friend or two and you dont play fanatically its not that bad.

6: (>")> (^"^) <("<)

K, im done, cya.

ZiG
Nov 7, 2006, 07:39 PM
...wow...

This conversation has already been had by just about every single other MMO fanbase for every single other MMO. Why would you think PSU would be any different?

Unsafe Passage
Fight for Food
Mad Creatures
Plains Overlord
Sleeping Warriors
Mizuraki Defense
Demons Above
Forested Islands
Rainbow Beast
Grove of Fanatics

Looks like 10, to me. Get your lazy asses off Parum for a change. Reskinning mobs? There isn't an MMO (and in most cases, even offline RPGs) that doesn't do this. Why do you people think this is an idea exclusive to Sega? Locked content on release? (The game is finished, about as much as every other MMO that had just started, so quit whining about buying an unfinished product.) The stuff is LOCKED. It's IN the single player game. If they put everything out on the table at the start, you'd finish it and get bored. They're doing you a favor. Of course some of you won't think so, but that's just how you roll. Maybe PSU isn't for you.

It's clear that alot of you are new to MMORPGs, based on your gripes for PSU, and while that's not a bad thing, everyone has to start somewhere, realize this is nothing new.

I'm a huge fan of this game, and still WOULD be even if I hadn't started on Phantasy Star back when it was on Genesis (no, I didn't start on the master system, I guess I'm not hardXcore enough). It's a great and well-done game, though there ARE a few minor gripes. Big deal.

VanHalen
Nov 7, 2006, 07:42 PM
my question is why does everyone want to be on Parum? theres too many racist CAST there for my taste
*gets hit with a can* "get off my planet newman!"
see what i mean

ZeldaSerenade
Nov 7, 2006, 07:46 PM
because, as of now, it's the most efficient way to level up I believe. Dragon/Relic runs.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 7, 2006, 07:47 PM
On 2006-11-07 16:06, aquafire wrote:

What do you mean "if that's true?" Of course it's true, how naive can you get? Money makes the world go 'round, PSU is no different.

ZiG
Nov 7, 2006, 07:49 PM
On 2006-11-07 16:46, ZeldaSerenade wrote:
because, as of now, it's the most efficient way to level up I believe. Dragon/Relic runs.

Then they really have no right to bitch about repetition, now do they?

Velkyn
Nov 7, 2006, 07:50 PM
Why is this surprising to people that Sega wants to make money?

Ah well, I hope a majority of you guys won't leave.

McOwned
Nov 7, 2006, 07:50 PM
"It's clear that alot of you are new to MMORPGs, based on your gripes for PSU, and while that's not a bad thing, everyone has to start somewhere, realize this is nothing new."

Hmm yes we have not yet been trained to settle for less. Look, I could care less about the mission variety...its all fine and good. The fact that I have put 60 hours into this game and not yet seen a single unique item, yeah that bothers me a little.

Mind you i'm still paying and taking it with a smile...I just have a couple of gripes and such, so let me bitch and moan all I want and you can continue to sit on top of your leet MMO mountain.

VanHalen
Nov 7, 2006, 07:52 PM
On 2006-11-07 16:46, ZeldaSerenade wrote:

wow people suck i would like a long challenge to level then a quick short way thats sad that people are just trying to level up quick instead of looking for a challenge. wheres the fun in that?

ZiG
Nov 7, 2006, 07:53 PM
It costs alot to make a video game, and more to maintain servers. I like the game, so I'll gladly pay. It's even less than alot of other MMOs.

aquafire
Nov 7, 2006, 07:57 PM
On 2006-11-07 16:47, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:

On 2006-11-07 16:06, aquafire wrote:

What do you mean "if that's true?" Of course it's true, how naive can you get? Money makes the world go 'round, PSU is no different.

Why do some people's response have to be negative and annoying? I don't play online so I don't care about whether it's true or not.

ZiG
That's true, McOwned, and I felt the same way when I went to MY first MMO. Like I said, PSU may not be for everyone.

Look, PSO had 3 Eps, with BlueBurst, yeah? 3 Eps with 4 areas each. Each area had 3-4 Blocks and a boss. That's 12 areas, 12 bosses. PSU has 10 with 3 bosses. In the next update, I read elsewhere on this board, there are 10 new missions, and since mission = area, that's 10 new areas. Dunno how many more bosses, but that's far more areas than PSO had, IN THE FIRST UPDATE. First, not only, first. I guess I'm just used to it, but... I'm patient.

Pentence
On 2006-11-07 16:42, VanHalen wrote:
my question is why does everyone want to be on Parum? theres too many racist CAST there for my taste
see what i mean

Ahh yesthe irony of racist robots,anyway if thats what you think read my thread "A movement for Neudaiz".

As for this thread its the same rehashed shyt,i play alot on this game and i am geting bored a bit too but i still play and dont mind 10 bucks a month(as opposed to 15 or more for some games).I think the thing people should realy start doing is GET A LIFE,stop playing psu a bit and take care of some hobby you got,art in my case.If you dont have a hobby please for the love of god find one.Its the fact that we are all burning out too quick by not being leisurely about this.We all looked forward to the game for quite some time and now we are playing it nonstop to get well,as of right now ,no where.So back off the pedal and coast a bit,enjoy the game for yourselves dont wry that your not the highest lvl.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pentence on 2006-11-07 16:58 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 7, 2006, 07:59 PM
On 2006-11-07 16:57, aquafire wrote:
Why do some people's response have to be negative and annoying?I wouldn't be a very good troll were I nice to everyone, now would I?

Ecstasy
Nov 7, 2006, 08:00 PM
This terrible release just shows how little a fanboi will actually pay for. ive cancelled, but yes ST did get me for $60:( Ive played the story mode, and it is the worst RPG ive played in some years. The online game (if you even want to call it that) is laughable.

ZiG
Nov 7, 2006, 08:01 PM
In any case, I didn't come to this thread to make waves, sorry. Just meant to point out something others seem to be overlooking, that this sort of thing is the norm. I've met alot of awesome people playing, and it seems easiest to meet people in PSU than any other MMO I've played. Some of them happen to be on the PSOW BBs, so I figured I'd sign up.

aquafire
Nov 7, 2006, 08:02 PM
On 2006-11-07 16:59, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:

On 2006-11-07 16:57, aquafire wrote:
Why do some people's response have to be negative and annoying?I wouldn't be a very good troll were I nice to everyone, now would I?

lol, good point.

McOwned
Nov 7, 2006, 08:07 PM
On 2006-11-07 16:57, ZiG wrote:
That's true, McOwned, and I felt the same way when I went to MY first MMO. Like I said, PSU may not be for everyone.

Look, PSO had 3 Eps, with BlueBurst, yeah? 3 Eps with 4 areas each. Each area had 3-4 Blocks and a boss. That's 12 areas, 12 bosses. PSU has 10 with 3 bosses. In the next update, I read elsewhere on this board, there are 10 new missions, and since mission = area, that's 10 new areas. Dunno how many more bosses, but that's far more areas than PSO had, IN THE FIRST UPDATE. First, not only, first. I guess I'm just used to it, but... I'm patient.

Fair enough, and I was never arguing that PSU doesn't have enough variety in missions...even weaponry (excluding rares) seem to be a little more beefed up as well. All this said I still have not found the "it" factor that drug me kicking and screaming back into PSO for 400+ hours. I guess I couldn't put my finger on it so I blamed the un-released content. I think it may be that you can't actually beat the game like you could in PSO, no Falz to conquer after hours and hours of rooms.

Plus I can't find anyone decent to play with for more than one nights worth of runs either. Ah well...lets be honest regardless of my whining i'll probably at it again tonight. Ho hum.

Itoshi
Nov 7, 2006, 08:08 PM
Guys don't forget, maybe even by next year we could have a ton of missions. Maybe even up to 50 different missions, 15 different mini-bosses/bosses, and don't forget about the Online Episoidic Story Content.

VanHalen
Nov 7, 2006, 08:10 PM
On 2006-11-07 16:57, Pentence wrote:

On 2006-11-07 16:42, VanHalen wrote:
see what i mean

Ahh yesthe irony of racist robots,anyway if thats what you think read my thread "A movement for Neudaiz".

As for this thread its the same rehashed shyt,i play alot on this game and i am geting bored a bit too but i still play and dont mind 10 bucks a month(as opposed to 15 or more for some games).I think the thing people should realy start doing is GET A LIFE,stop playing psu a bit and take care of some hobby you got,art in my case.If you dont have a hobby please for the love of god find one.Its the fact that we are all burning out too quick by not being leisurely about this.We all looked forward to the game for quite some time and now we are playing it nonstop to get well,as of right now ,no where.So back off the pedal and coast a bit,enjoy the game for yourselves dont wry that your not the highest lvl.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pentence on 2006-11-07 16:58 ]</font>

oh i take art lessons on saturday i guess i have a hobby cool. but your right how do people get to level 50 in a week?

peenk
Nov 7, 2006, 08:21 PM
Well some missions shouldnt even be called "missions."
So fucking short its not funny. They are barely longer than Forest 1&2.
If thats someone's idea of "new" missions to be unlocked than they need to play PSO or other modern-ish RPG/MMORPGs.

Yes, why not advertise SEGA has 25 missions when all SEGA did was give us:
Mission 1 - forest 1
mission 2 - forest 2 with dragon
Relic run - less than ruins 1 with some "tough" guy that gets nailed in 5 PAs or so.
etc.
EDIT: yes same story with Neudaz its just as fucking short and homosexual

Missions are waaaaaaay too short right now and I hope there is some better/longer stuff.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peenk on 2006-11-07 17:27 ]</font>

ZiG
Nov 7, 2006, 08:23 PM
There's this planet I heard of called Neudaiz...

AeraLure
Nov 7, 2006, 08:27 PM

Yes, but bear in mind each and every one of those PSO levels were dynamically designed and vivid in terms of color and variation, at least compared to PSO.

Recall the lava room in Caves, the rainbow room in Caves, the Waterfall you could run behind in Ruins, the changes in the environment as you made that final run down through Ruins to the last room, etc. Remember too how long and comlpicated and interesting some of the level designs were, with switches and gates, as well as a pretty wide variation in styles of rooms.

Now compare that with anything on PSU. They are all bland, all generic, all boring as all get out on the very first run through, let alone many run throughs. Where did that inspiration for level design go?

Then think about however many it was in terms of quests online? 25+ at least that reflected the offline ones? All the Nightmares and other online-only variants too. Soem of these added great little story elements or just were fun to play or run though to change things up. Where's all this? Sure some of it will come eventually, but what is SEGA thinking leaving so little variation to play through for so long...

Its part of what makes playing PSU a challenge and trust me I am trying. I want to. I loved PSO. I dont mean to be contrary. Honest. Its simply I am not sure how you can recall PSO levels and compare them to PSU and see in PSU any redeeming quality on that front.

Gameplay and classes sure, SEGA made improvements there, or at least it is different and for the most part not worse. But the amount of levels and bosses and comparing just the numbers and then saying that makes PSU's bland content suddenly ok?

I truly hope there are levels of interest, NPCs and various other fun online quests, and better level design etc hiding somewhere on that disc or in Extra mode, and that it comes out soon enough. Trying so hard to stick with it. Just working on PMs now since I cant play the current content anymore. Guess I'll wait and see.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AeraLure on 2006-11-07 17:30 ]</font>

Dihnekis
Nov 7, 2006, 08:43 PM
Yeah the current missions are too short, too few. I won't be playing this one nearly as long as I played PSO unless they add a lot, and fast. And I bet they won't. They've never added anything worthwhile with the old ones, and always promised they would.

Yeebo
Nov 7, 2006, 08:44 PM
The content outside of missions is much deeper than what was found in PSO. Crafting, room decorating, new outfits, auctions/ selling. Why is PSU getting no credit for that?

In terms of the missions, we have more areas to mess around in (I count about five main areas) than PSO had at launch. However, it seems like players in PSU don't move between missions as much. In PSO it was common to run forest through the end of the ruins in an evening. In PSU most players are parked in Parum running the same two missions over and over again. Maybe that is why the game feels so repetitive to some (i.e., they are making it repetitive).

peenk
Nov 7, 2006, 08:53 PM
On 2006-11-07 17:44, Yeebo wrote:
The content outside of missions is much deeper than what was found in PSO. Crafting, room decorating, new outfits, auctions/ selling. Why is PSU getting no credit for that?
Because to craft, decorate your room, buy new outfits, and have money to open shop and buy items you ... *gasp* need to go level/grind the boring missions.

In terms of the missions, we have more areas to mess around in (I count about five main areas) than PSO had at launch.
Even if you were talking about PSO v1, I'd say you haven't played PSO because content-wise/monster-wise/time-wise PSO v1 ownz PSU so far, not to mention EpI&II.

Yeebo
Nov 7, 2006, 09:00 PM
On 2006-11-07 17:27, AeraLure wrote:

Yes, but bear in mind each and every one of those PSO levels were dynamically designed and vivid in terms of color and variation, at least compared to PSO.

Recall the lava room in Caves, the rainbow room in Caves, the Waterfall you could run behind in Ruins, the changes in the environment as you made that final run down through Ruins to the last room, etc. Remember too how long and comlpicated and interesting some of the level designs were, with switches and gates, as well as a pretty wide variation in styles of rooms.

Now compare that with anything on PSU. They are all bland, all generic, all boring as all get out on the very first run through, let alone many run throughs. Where did that inspiration for level design go?

Then think about however many it was in terms of quests online? 25+ at least that reflected the offline ones? All the Nightmares and other online-only variants too. Soem of these added great little story elements or just were fun to play or run though to change things up. Where's all this? Sure some of it will come eventually, but what is SEGA thinking leaving so little variation to play through for so long...

Its part of what makes playing PSU a challenge and trust me I am trying. I want to. I loved PSO. I dont mean to be contrary. Honest. Its simply I am not sure how you can recall PSO levels and compare them to PSU and see in PSU any redeeming quality on that front.

Gameplay and classes sure, SEGA made improvements there, or at least it is different and for the most part not worse. But the amount of levels and bosses and comparing just the numbers and then saying that makes PSU's bland content suddenly ok?

I truly hope there are levels of interest, NPCs and various other fun online quests, and better level design etc hiding somewhere on that disc or in Extra mode, and that it comes out soon enough. Trying so hard to stick with it. Just working on PMs now since I cant play the current content anymore. Guess I'll wait and see.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AeraLure on 2006-11-07 17:30 ]</font>

Actually I have to pretty much agree with you here. Nothing quite as charming as PSO to me so far. The Mines were among of the prettiest levels I've ever played through in a RPG, and the caves were also very nice. The last levels in Ep II were also incredibly gorgeous. So far the only thing close in PSU is the Mizuraki Preserve and the Neudaiz capitol city, both of which I happen to think are quite pretty.

I love all the new stuff outside of missions, and I love the new class system. If the missions themselves were as charming as the ones in PSO it would be the perfect game....

Sorenia
Nov 7, 2006, 09:04 PM
On 2006-11-07 15:50, Azure247 wrote:

Funny last I checked I've at payed attention to the launch of every major MMO since UO and every single one of them charged you 50 bucks for the first month.

For PSU I had to pay 50 bucks for the box and then to my suprise when I logged in I had to pay MORE money for the first month (6 weeks actually).

I have about...55 hours on my file, and I'm level 22. That tells me people have been playing for over 120 hours (maybe, just a guess) in about, maybe a little over, two weeks...am I right?

I'm pushing about 60 hours and I'm 40. Why on earth are you level 22 still with 55 hours? I've done a lot of afking too. If I started over right now with the knowledge some people had from beta I could prolly hit 50 in a week of pretty CASUAL playing.

People are whining over and over trying to tell other people not to "rush" but the fact is for those of us who just play the game instead of chit chatting in lobbies we aren't rushing and we're still running out of stuff to do in no time. Not to mention you can easily get bored long before you actually hit 50.

I don't expect much content in a game like this. It's really nothing more than diablo with space guns. The lack of even a single story mission though is just bogus.

Yeebo
Nov 7, 2006, 09:13 PM
In terms of the missions, we have more areas to mess around in (I count about five main areas) than PSO had at launch.
Even if you were talking about PSO v1, I'd say you haven't played PSO because content-wise/monster-wise/time-wise PSO v1 ownz PSU so far, not to mention EpI&II.

[/quote]

I was referring to v1 on the DC (thus "at launch"). I've played the DC and GC versions for hundreds of hours, and BB enough to experience all of Ep IV. Yes, the areas we have are smaller than most of the ones in PSO (nothing takes half the time to play through that the caves did, for example). That's not what I said.

jarek99
Nov 7, 2006, 09:25 PM
Looks like 10, to me. Get your lazy asses off Parum for a change. Reskinning mobs? There isn't an MMO (and in most cases, even offline RPGs) that doesn't do this. Why do you people think this is an idea exclusive to Sega? Locked content on release?
Thank you for counting them. Yes, 10 dungeons is nothing. I wish they would re-skin some mobs mobs/levels...at least it would be a different environment. At least that would have been some effort. Of course the idea isnt exclusive to sega. It was a shitty idea back when companies began doing it and its still shitty. How does that make it ok? Does that make sega less guilty just because someone else did it? Use your brain.

It's clear that alot of you are new to MMORPGs
Actually, no. My first MMO was EQ back in 1999. And you'll experience more content by level 10 than you'll experience in all of PSU. Of course Verant/SOE isnt not a model citizen in the gaming world, but at least they never had a problem making new and different dungeons for people to explore. Yes, I understand theres a difference between EQ and PSU, but content is content...and more is always better. PSU has a severe lack of it.

Yeah. I've killed the robots about as many times as I've killed mobs in sleeping warriors. I dont feel at all compelled to go back to any of the zones I've played.

Elleranda
Nov 7, 2006, 09:33 PM
COOONTEEEEENT!!

Tankster
Nov 7, 2006, 10:13 PM
There are so many at the official forums, it seems some ppl expected this game to be a WoW wannabe or something...:/

MaKaVeLi_X
Nov 7, 2006, 10:15 PM
By complaining about complainers you are now a complainer.

Wallin
Nov 7, 2006, 10:15 PM
It's because most of us are impatient having been tainted with the knowledge of expert classes, rare weapons, clothes, etc. that are out on the Japanese servers while we pretty much have squat in comparison. It'll pass eventually...

Mac2492
Nov 7, 2006, 10:16 PM
The only problem that I see with the game is that there is little room for improvement because it's on too many systems. It's not possible to upgrade the PS2 and Xbox 360 version properly, but it's quite logical to update the PC version... Update the PC version, and everyone else complains! See the problem? The only version that can "really" be updated (unless you have a hard disk drive on your console) is the PC version, and that's the version that has probably been given the least attention.

Now we're stuck waiting for online content and expansions... Oh well... Fun game!

Dusk21
Nov 7, 2006, 10:18 PM
I thank god this game isn't like WoW because that game sucks I'm sorry, it doesn't deserve in any way all the kudos it gets. Its just another EQ ripoff to me. On the other hand, while PSU is lacking some things at the moment I feel confident that it'll be great very soon, and I'm having a grand time personally. Its been a long time since I played a good new hack 'n slash action rpg, PSO and DII are the most recent ones worth playing if memory serves, and I played them both to death 10 times over.

HolyWizard
Nov 7, 2006, 10:20 PM
I don't know. I can see where people are upset with running the same mission over and over again and getting bored with PSU but the feeling to me is no different than the feelings I get after playing FFXI or WoW. There were quests in those games but it still ended up back to battling and party roles, etc.

I find plenty to do in PSU, even with the low amount of missions available. Sometimes I solo to get some cash, other times I'll join up with a party or create my own and we'll fight the dragon together, try to get S-ranks or whatever. There's plenty to save your meseta for as far as buying weapons/armor/synthing/grinding, etc. Not to suck on SEGA's teet here but the gameplay is keeping me reasonably hooked as well. I think it's a huge improvement over PSO, not to mention a more intricate class/race system and that's without even the advanced classes. Lets not forget there's a single player mode that can also be played.

Granted, I'm also pasing myself. That's not said to rip on anyone that has put a bunch of hours into the game but I think if you do sit in front of a screen for that long you might get tired, cranky, and/or bored. I know I do. I love my RPGs but I have limits. Not to mention, I have obligations too.

I'm happy. I'm finding plenty to do so far. Maybe there's too few missions, but honestly I think PSO had even less to do. "What do I do now?" "Oh, another caves run...." I just feel there's slightly more variation with this game.

My thoughts.

Spellbinder
Nov 7, 2006, 10:27 PM

I rushed to 50, and still felt like I had tons to do. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Not sure why other people burned out.

Yes, JP players and Importers alike were upset. But, you know what? People got over it. When it was maintenance time, people went into mIRC to chat, played Story Mode, etc. In short, people found something to do until the game was fixed and good to go.

Just for the record, I agree with you. People need to relax and just enjoy themselves.

R3Dirkulous
Nov 7, 2006, 11:40 PM
On 2006-11-07 19:27, Spellbinder wrote:

I rushed to 50, and still felt like I had tons to do. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Not sure why other people burned out.

Yes, JP players and Importers alike were upset. But, you know what? People got over it. When it was maintenance time, people went into mIRC to chat, played Story Mode, etc. In short, people found something to do until the game was fixed and good to go.

Just for the record, I agree with you. People need to relax and just enjoy themselves.

finally someone talking some sense

vanhalendlrband
Nov 8, 2006, 01:02 AM
I know its a great part of PSO, as i've played PSO and PS's on Genesis. But after reading the review on Gamestop tho, it makes sense, and trust me i never ever want something to be bad about Phantasy Star, but it just seemed to me from day one althought it didn't really bother me in PSO as it was an early console online game, but now its true. They're just exploiting the name now i think.

Even considering possibile content in the future, the fact is this game should absolutly be FREE to play online, considering XLive fees as well. I was hoping it would be at least an MMO or something. It really only looks like PSO 2 and could easily be played on Dreamcast i'm sure.

Don't get me wrong i'm still probably gonna play the hell out of it, but the less and less amounts of time i'm able to have growing up and going to school, gym, work, and so on, you only have so much time right?

Kalier
Nov 8, 2006, 01:43 AM
On 2006-11-07 16:39, ZiG wrote:

Unsafe Passage
Fight for Food
Mad Creatures
Plains Overlord
Sleeping Warriors
Mizuraki Defense
Demons Above
Forested Islands
Rainbow Beast
Grove of Fanatics

Looks like 10, to me.

technically Mad Creatures and Plains Overlord are the same 'dungeon', just different map sets for it

and those aren't the only ones like that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kalier on 2006-11-07 22:44 ]</font>

aquafire
Nov 8, 2006, 01:51 AM
God I wish I knew what online was. I'm playing offline because I don't have the hardware for online. Offline (Extra Mode)is the worst excuse for a game I've ever seen, you beat it too fast. Anyway, I'm gonna hound my dad to get me online...hope it's worth it.

daylight129
Nov 8, 2006, 01:58 AM
I do have to admit, and all the others who have beat story mode or progressed far in to extra mode, that a lot of the later levels DO possess some creativity and some beautiful sites that exceed that of PSO.

If I had to put it short to solve everyones problem, I think you all were expecting WAY too much. Not that you don't have the right to after PSO being such a great game and all...but really in 6 months when we are all having fun playing this game because we have a lot more content none of this BS will matter anymore.

aquafire
Nov 8, 2006, 02:02 AM
I'd be happy if they would have added some more rare drops to offline mode.

daylight129
Nov 8, 2006, 02:03 AM
I believe that's an incentive to go online, offline having less rares that is.

aquafire
Nov 8, 2006, 02:12 AM
O well guess I'll go back to Tales of the Abyss , this game's not doing it for me. Not until I get online...which is rediculous.

Pikku
Nov 8, 2006, 02:18 AM
Every RPG (doesnt have to me MMO) got many reskins that might have one or 2 different moves to them.
From the old 2D games that are simply recolors (Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Mario RPG, etc)
To new big games like even FFXI (Orc Fodder, Orc Grappler, Orc Grunt, Hill Lizard, Sentry Lizard, Clipper, Snipper, Sylvestre, Mandragora, Tiny Mandragora, Yhoart Mandragora, etc you get the point)
So the reskins is just a lame excuse to lok for a reason to bash PSU.
Also I see many play Parum ALLL THE TIME!
Im either soloing on the Colony for fun or challenge myself and play on Neudaiz soloing or make parties there).
But hey. You all can stay on Parum, more Neudaiz for me lmao *ahem* sorry....

ZiG
Nov 8, 2006, 02:23 AM
On 2006-11-07 18:25, jarek99 wrote:

Looks like 10, to me. Get your lazy asses off Parum for a change. Reskinning mobs? There isn't an MMO (and in most cases, even offline RPGs) that doesn't do this. Why do you people think this is an idea exclusive to Sega? Locked content on release?
Thank you for counting them. Yes, 10 dungeons is nothing. I wish they would re-skin some mobs mobs/levels...at least it would be a different environment. At least that would have been some effort. Of course the idea isnt exclusive to sega. It was a shitty idea back when companies began doing it and its still shitty. How does that make it ok? Does that make sega less guilty just because someone else did it? Use your brain.

It's clear that alot of you are new to MMORPGs
Actually, no. My first MMO was EQ back in 1999. And you'll experience more content by level 10 than you'll experience in all of PSU. Of course Verant/SOE isnt not a model citizen in the gaming world, but at least they never had a problem making new and different dungeons for people to explore. Yes, I understand theres a difference between EQ and PSU, but content is content...and more is always better. PSU has a severe lack of it.

Yeah. I've killed the robots about as many times as I've killed mobs in sleeping warriors. I dont feel at all compelled to go back to any of the zones I've played.

How come you didn't quote "PSU may not be for you."?

While your first quote and response had some merit, and I agree with you to a point, the other two obviously had nothing to do with, and were not directed at you. If you've played other MMOs, it's clear I didn't mean you. And as for the last, that was clearly directed at the person it was posted under.

In any case, you guys are really blowing this out of proportion. If you don't like the game, don't play. I'm sure you've bought games you later decided you didn't like, before.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZiG on 2006-11-07 23:48 ]</font>

IKoRaiZa
Nov 8, 2006, 07:33 PM
There is no excuse for the way PSU is now when you consider how other ORPGs came out of the gate. WoW came out as a complete game where you could level from 1-60 without repeating the same level over and over again. Only after the release did they add more raid content that only maybe 10% of the population could access when it came out. Guild Wars came out solid for a game that is focused on PvP and the fact that there is no monthly fee.

When PSU came out I expected AT LEAST a game that had everything PSO had. What do we get? Barely 5 different areas to explore, weapons that do not differ from each other at all except that they have more STATS. A broken communication system (Nothing that even resembles a /tell system). PSU will be good, there's no doubt about it... but how long will it take? 6 months? A year? 2 years? Albeit, this game is not like WoW, but this game has almost 0 polish factor to it.

Genobee
Nov 8, 2006, 07:36 PM
No I don't need to be patient with PSU, cause they are charging me 10 bucks a month for nothing.

-Ryuki-
Nov 8, 2006, 07:39 PM
Genobee's right. Why pay, if we don't have anything that the Japanese people do? We've been shafted, and you ALL know it's true.

Randomness
Nov 8, 2006, 07:39 PM
Theres three models for each weapon type, and some rare weapons already in game.

Genobee
Nov 8, 2006, 07:41 PM
On 2006-11-08 16:39, Randomness wrote:
Theres three models for each weapon type, and some rare weapons already in game.

yea until you want some thing b rank, then it's either shitty cast gear or even shittier newman gear.

-Ryuki-
Nov 8, 2006, 07:41 PM
Some, but nothing compared to the actual list of rares. I'm probably wrong, so I'll apologize ahead of time. Gomen~

Apathy
Nov 8, 2006, 07:42 PM
Dont pay, dont play .. find something else.. ::shrug:: what is so hard about that? Its your money...

Genobee
Nov 8, 2006, 07:47 PM
On 2006-11-08 16:42, Apathy wrote:
Dont pay, dont play .. find something else.. ::shrug:: what is so hard about that? Its your money...

OK stop defending it, get a life and stop being a fanboy, and demand it be better, whats so hard aboutt hat?

-Ryuki-
Nov 8, 2006, 07:49 PM
Is that it? I got flamed by 5 people at the same time in Field Base, for informing someone else how we got shafted, all because they wanted to know what we didn't get. I love the game, but I'm not going to defend it if there's nothing there to defend. I WILL defend it, however, if someone bashes it without giving good reason (not including the content that's not there, YET).

Velkyn
Nov 8, 2006, 08:19 PM
On 2006-11-08 16:33, IKoRaiZa wrote:
There is no excuse for the way PSU is now when you consider how other ORPGs came out of the gate. WoW came out as a complete game where you could level from 1-60 without repeating the same level over and over again. Only after the release did they add more raid content that only maybe 10% of the population could access when it came out. Guild Wars came out solid for a game that is focused on PvP and the fact that there is no monthly fee.

When PSU came out I expected AT LEAST a game that had everything PSO had. What do we get? Barely 5 different areas to explore, weapons that do not differ from each other at all except that they have more STATS. A broken communication system (Nothing that even resembles a /tell system). PSU will be good, there's no doubt about it... but how long will it take? 6 months? A year? 2 years? Albeit, this game is not like WoW, but this game has almost 0 polish factor to it.

Except this game isn't WoW, in fact they aren't even the same genre. Running a level "over and over" is what PSO and PSU were all about. These aren't fully fleshed out MMORPGs, they're Hack n Slash Diablo-esque games.

Also, LOL at you saying that WoW isn't repetitive. WoW is essentially: "Lol, quest grind. Lol, grind for XP. Lol, do an instance. Lol, rep grind."

Face facts: You have paid for the game and you have paid ONLY 10 dollars for the current content. People who are whining about "paying a monthly fee"...Uhm...Hate to break it to you, but you haven't paid a monthly fee, yet. You paid the initial 10 dollars. See...if this were week 16 of release and there wasn't ONE update, then I'd be just as pissed as everyone else is. But I'm not. I agree, they started things off slow. IMO, the game should have been released with all the stuff that we're going to get in the first update. But it definitely isn't a game breaker for me. I have 55 hours on my level 20, and a few on my level 5 force. I'm not in any hurry to get to 50, or anything. I'm having fun with the current content (or lack thereof): I log on for a few hours a night, solo some stuff, chat to friends, level a bit, find some items, craft some stuff, group, etc.

People who are bored, I have some questions. Have you just been grinding all this time? Do you come on just to chat, sometimes, and not level? Do you play in groups? Do you do anything but RELICS and De Regan runs?

I think a lot of people are coming into this game with FAR too hardcore of a mindset, and this is the result. Make alts. Level other classes. Farm stuff to feed your PM. If ALL that fails, then just take a break until the content starts getting pushed out. Sucks, I know, but in the end, we'll be left with something that is FAR better than what we have right now, which is, IMO, about a 7.3/10 or so.

The IGN review was biased because half of it was spent complaining that PSU isn't like WoW, which isn't the point...It's not supposed to compete with WoW, as it isn't an MMORPG. It's in the same category as games like Diablo 2, Guild Wars and *shudder* D&D Online. This is an ORPG, not an MMORPG. Why? Because it isn't technically a persistent world. Only the lobbies and rooms are persistent. The rest of the game is instanced.

In conclusion, the game will get better. And the sky is not falling.

VanHalen
Nov 8, 2006, 08:31 PM
i still say dont complain to us complain to sega you know that little thing called contact us spam that with complaints and see what happens http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

-Ryuki-
Nov 8, 2006, 08:33 PM
I guess we can just all drop it. No point, right?

AlphaMinotaux
Nov 8, 2006, 08:34 PM
Reason why we are complaining so much is basically we know exactly what content we are going to get and have seen it in action which makes waiting even harder

Genobee
Nov 8, 2006, 08:48 PM
On 2006-11-08 17:19, Velkyn wrote:

On 2006-11-08 16:33, IKoRaiZa wrote:

Except this game isn't WoW, in fact they aren't even the same genre. Running a level "over and over" is what PSO and PSU were all about. These aren't fully fleshed out MMORPGs, they're Hack n Slash Diablo-esque games.

Also, LOL at you saying that WoW isn't repetitive. WoW is essentially: "Lol, quest grind. Lol, grind for XP. Lol, do an instance. Lol, rep grind."

Face facts: You have paid for the game and you have paid ONLY 10 dollars for the current content. People who are whining about "paying a monthly fee"...Uhm...Hate to break it to you, but you haven't paid a monthly fee, yet. You paid the initial 10 dollars. See...if this were week 16 of release and there wasn't ONE update, then I'd be just as pissed as everyone else is. But I'm not. I agree, they started things off slow. IMO, the game should have been released with all the stuff that we're going to get in the first update. But it definitely isn't a game breaker for me. I have 55 hours on my level 20, and a few on my level 5 force. I'm not in any hurry to get to 50, or anything. I'm having fun with the current content (or lack thereof): I log on for a few hours a night, solo some stuff, chat to friends, level a bit, find some items, craft some stuff, group, etc.

People who are bored, I have some questions. Have you just been grinding all this time? Do you come on just to chat, sometimes, and not level? Do you play in groups? Do you do anything but RELICS and De Regan runs?

I think a lot of people are coming into this game with FAR too hardcore of a mindset, and this is the result. Make alts. Level other classes. Farm stuff to feed your PM. If ALL that fails, then just take a break until the content starts getting pushed out. Sucks, I know, but in the end, we'll be left with something that is FAR better than what we have right now, which is, IMO, about a 7.3/10 or so.

The IGN review was biased because half of it was spent complaining that PSU isn't like WoW, which isn't the point...It's not supposed to compete with WoW, as it isn't an MMORPG. It's in the same category as games like Diablo 2, Guild Wars and *shudder* D&D Online. This is an ORPG, not an MMORPG. Why? Because it isn't technically a persistent world. Only the lobbies and rooms are persistent. The rest of the game is instanced.

In conclusion, the game will get better. And the sky is not falling.

yea but even compared to those games, Diablo had more content then PSU and that is sad.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 8, 2006, 08:52 PM
Look at it this way: as long as we follow the same update timeline (approximately) as the JP servers, then there is no reason to complain.

If you want a real situation worthy of complaint, look at PSOBB. The US server was over a year behind the JP server in terms of updates, and will probably never see another update again now that PSU is out. Meanwhile, JP PSOBB is still getting updates. Thenh again, I never was really bothered by that either...

Arcturus
Nov 8, 2006, 08:57 PM
As long as I get my freakin laser cannon and grenade launcher sometime in the somewhat near future, I'm happy.

Moatoob needs to be opened up now though. The game simply doesn't have enough content at this point to stay entertaining and enthralling for months on end.