PDA

View Full Version : Ranger: A few tips on Machineguns and their PAs

FenixStryk
Nov 7, 2006, 11:45 PM
The Story:

On Sunday, I moved on from pistols to Machineguns (MGs) since I maxed out my pistol photon art (PA) to Lv20. Knowing full well that MGs go through ammo like air, I bought 6 1* Machineguns to try and counteract it, while at the same time leveling my MG PA hella-fast. While somewhat expensive for lower-levels (at around 3k for the set), the loss of damage compared to stronger MGs is nothing major.

So, with my MGs and my PA (Frozen Fury to be exact) locked and loaded, I started beating the crap out of everything. Depending on the difficulty and amount of players on my team, I'd run out of ammo in all 6 MGs at least once per mission, usually once per block if the group was small. I was outraged! I bought 6 MGs (2700 PP total for 6 ungrinded 1* MGs) and STILL ran out of ammo quickly? Sure, I spammed it, and could reload in town when I ran out, but I was still ticked off...

A few people looked at me funny when I whipped out MG after MG and didn't run out of ammo, and a few just called me stupid and booted me. But the ones that didn't boot me soon found out that me using 3 to 4 SUVs per mission was a real plus.
_____ _ _

Advantages of spamming 6 MGs:

Yep, it turns out spamming MGs in sets of 6 is very useful after all (if you can get over the aforementioned disadvantages).

Spamming 6 MGs charges your SUV/Nanoblast meter in literally a couple of minutes. By the time you use up all your PP, you will be at about 85% SUV/Nano charge. If you've gotten hit a few times during this process, you could actually get it fully charged before running out of ammo!

Also, Reloading your 6 1* MGs is not a problem. You can go to town and reload at a photon box with no penalty to your mission rank (although you do lose your SUV/Nano charge once you exit the mission area). If you're using 6 1* MGs, it costs about 16 meseta to reload. Very cheap, and thus low-level friendly.

In fact, I recommend using 1* MGs if you're spamming 6 of them due to the advantages. Sure, better MGs will do a little more damage and be more accurate, but obtaining 6 of them is very, VERY expensive, and you may not like the playstyle after all the money you paid. Also, the upgrade to damage/accuracy is mediocre at best. Coupled with the fact that reloading six of THESE will be about 10x as much as the cheap 1* MGs... it's just not worth it unless you know you're a devoted spammer.

Finally, as the entire plan goes, it levels your PA at a sickeningly fast rate. I started two days ago and I've already maxed it at 20. We're talking serious level ups.

So, after this two-day self-inflicted noobfest of mine, I've actually come away as a seasoned 6 MG expert. I know them in and out now, and I may actually use them appropriately some time in the future!
_____ _ _

Info on using Single MGs:

Yeah, yeah, I know I spammed it, but I did learn some general MG tips too.

If you use a single MG, make sure you only use it in bursts, and use a 1h melee weapon therafter. You'll be able to apply an SE then finish them off with a much stronger sabre, dagger or claw, and you'll save ammo since MGs recharge quickly (and also ONLY recharge when you're not firing). Really useful.

If you want to conserve ammo even more, learn to tap the trigger instead of holding it down. If you learn the timing and tap/hold the trigger for just the right amount of time, you'll do damage but only use 1 PP per shot. While it does shoot slower (at about the same speed as a Handgun if you master it), it will save you a lot of ammo (we're talking about 5x the amount of shots than if you held it down). Use it for tagging enemies or opening boxes (wherever rate of fire or damage isn't very important).

Finally, for some strange reason, you do NOT need to hold down the strafe button to strafe and shoot at the same time with an MG. As long as you're firing, you strafe! It's like a noob Ranger's (aka Figunner's http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif) fantasy!

_____ _ _

So.... yeah. Enjoy the info!
EDIT: Fixed a lot of repetition in vocabulary. ;p

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-11-07 21:40 ]</font>