PDA

View Full Version : I officially despise Synthing & Grinding

FenixStryk
Nov 9, 2006, 12:48 AM
So a couple days ago, I maxed out my Mechgun PA, so I moved on to Twin Handguns. I tried synthing Ryo-betatores, but it failed. I tried again, and it failed AGAIN. So I gave up on synthing, ad bought a Ryo-betatore in a player shop for 9k (great deal, actually). I sucked up the meseta loss of failed synths and moved on.

Today, I decided to try my luck with grinding. I synthed about 10 grinders and went to the Yohmei shop. I first started grinding my Lacanata (highest C-rank Yohmei spear, since their spears can silence). It failed triny to synth to (3) on a seems very high roll. I sucked that up too since it's only a spear, not the big B betatores.

I got the top-of-the-line Grinder Bs and started off well. I got one no chance of failure. When I grinded to (2) at a seems very high, it broke too.

WTF!

Now, not only did I lose 30k on trying to get good Ryo-betatores, I don't even HAVE one anymore! Now I'm stuck with a 1* spear and 1* twin handguns. Complete bull****.

Somebody give me a hug or a beer or something, 'cause PSU just beat the crap out of me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-11-08 21:48 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Nov 9, 2006, 12:51 AM
I love it, cause people like you hate it and this makes them more inclined to buy from my shop.

Fure_Rakune
Nov 9, 2006, 12:52 AM
Ive seemed to have the worst luck on my lvl. 3 luck days.
Back when it was very important to me, I lost a 7 grind sucker and failed to make 2 rippers just this past week.
I dont hate it, its what happens when you take risk.

Neyaa
Nov 9, 2006, 12:52 AM
owch. You have indeed had bad luck in synthing! I had one day where i failed 75% of my synth's. Just give up and try again when you get luck3.

Grinding on the other hand... shattered my B wep on the 2nd grind the other day. Go me.

Weak
Nov 9, 2006, 12:57 AM
Sometimes I wonder how accurate the percentages are in this game.

Grinding breaks at "very high" far too often(broke a calibur, grinder B+9), and I synthed a gigaline with 37% chance.

This game is insane.

huskyboys
Nov 9, 2006, 01:02 AM
Came in to grind with 18 rayharods and 70+ C grinders, came out with one +7 rayharod on my 3 luck day. Next time I got 3 luck I made 2 more rayharods and got one of each - +10,9, and 8. So I guess I broke even.

BloodDragoon
Nov 9, 2006, 01:08 AM
More business for me. I sell ungrinded 5 star weapons for 10K unless their elemental attribute is 25%+ ;P

PMB960
Nov 9, 2006, 01:11 AM
They need S-Rank grinders that work all the time. I have only broken one weapon so far grinding for one to two on a very lucky day. I refuse to grind anything else past 3 for fear of breaking them.

Silver_Wyrm
Nov 9, 2006, 01:12 AM
I hate it, my luck sucks and thus I lose all my money on failed synths and grinds, mypm is 100 ranged atm and I still fail as often as not with guns at 85% success. Synthing is irritating, but completely losing a weapon frm grinding is is just silly, I wish it just reset its grind to 0 instead, and as grinders aren't cheap it wouldnt make it "too easy" to get a maxed weapon.

edit: I have also often broken on second grind at "very high" even with luck

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-11-08 22:17 ]</font>

BloodDragoon
Nov 9, 2006, 01:15 AM
I've broken 1 weapon so far pressing my luck trying to get that Durandal to +10 lol XD it broke at 8. I haven't grinded anything else past 5 tho and I only use +10 grinders. I don't grind often for that reason so I probably havent done it enough to hit the low end of the curve.

KirinDave
Nov 9, 2006, 01:27 AM
I like the synth and grind system, but I don't like that it's the only upgrade path we have until the new content.

I hope that S-rank items cannot be ground. That way, there is a point where gear is no longer so luck dependent.

Yeebo
Nov 9, 2006, 01:27 AM
I have to say I pretty much hate the grinding system too. Roughly 2/3 of the meseta I've ever brought in went down the crapper due to failed synths or bad luck grinding.

What's crazy is the the first two weapons I ground I just kept going until my chances got down to 50/50. I thought "This is easy." Since then I have broken five out of the seven weapons I've tried to grind, max luck or no luck it makes no difference.

It seems like regardless what what chance it says, going past +3 on a C-rank or +1 on a B rank is risky. Those are the most common breakpoints I've heard of when I talk to peaple (but it's not like I've run the stats...).

A lot of players I've met don't use grinders at all because they are so sick of trashing their weapons. At the very least it doesn't make sense to use a grinder on a weapon you can't immediatly replace.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yeebo on 2006-11-08 22:33 ]</font>

Pengfishh
Nov 9, 2006, 02:03 AM
With max luck you get two free grinds. Avoid using anything over +1 because it's a waste -- you're getting TWO grinds GUARANTEED.

From there, if you really don't want to risk breaking the weapon, don't fuck with it. Fear and resilience can be a good thing when the other side is having nothing at all. I've taken a few unruly chances and lost and as a result my arsenal is thinning down and I am sad. I broke a couple spears and stopped using them almost completely (only have one Fire elemental Lacanata left) and became reliant on my single daggers. Buten-etc. is maxed now, but I can't afford to use buy anything new because I broke down and emptied my bank of 24k to get my pretty Megaline and beautiful Grom Buster.

SO! Synthing isn't so bad unless you go 0/3, grinding isn't completely necessary and is best played safe unless you went 3/3 on the synth!

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 9, 2006, 02:51 AM
I think untill I have a surplus of money you will never see me grind anything past "guarenteed" unless I can afford to lose it.

I dont even have the money to try to fail a synth http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif so atleast you got to try, I want to try to make one of the B grade wands and maybe a hajirod.

But yes this game can be mean depending on your luck, and I have nothing but bad luck so I am not ognna press it.

Kaply
Nov 9, 2006, 08:23 AM
It's incredible fun, especially when you factor in for sything elemental weapons as well. Do you gamble on a 38% b rank weapon to try to grind that and to what levels hmm.... I chickened out at 3...

Mystil
Nov 9, 2006, 08:29 AM
On 2006-11-08 22:11, PMB960 wrote:
I refuse to grind anything else past 3 for fear of breaking them.

Same but I go up to 4. I will never grind spears though - ever. I suppose in later updates down the road ST might come up with synthesis support like some support material made out of special metal that prevents breakage and to balance things out, have certain bosses drop it only. Would add a lot of replay value to the battle aspect of the game I think. Lets face it, synthesizing is fun.

TwilightSea
Nov 9, 2006, 08:31 AM
When I do grind, I usually try to grind up to +3 and then I stop grinding for fear of my weapon breaking.

Alpha-Hunter
Nov 9, 2006, 08:42 AM
I really only grind my weapons up to 4 and have yet to lose one. I have synth'd ever piece of armor i've ever worn and every weapon I've ever used. the only really bad luck I have are with drops. and that has plauged me since my PSO DC days.

Kuya
Nov 9, 2006, 08:44 AM
Yohemi weapons are worth the +4 and +5 grind. Besides, it's only money right? lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif