PDA

View Full Version : Muffin's Merry Nitpicking Review

Muffin
Nov 9, 2006, 10:46 AM
HI EVERYONE!!

With all the complaints and talk about the stance of the game as a whole, I felt I'd just give my opinion on all the little stuff that is in the game. Y'know, the stuff that really matters. ^.^

GOOD STUFF

Looting options - No more getting mad when hunters get every item or have people running under dead enemies like vultures to swipe rares. Everything can be fair. Yay!
Party leaders - Now you can kick people out of your party as you see fit. Now if someone doesn't want to meet you at the Principle to start the mission THEY GET THE BOOT! wait, wrong game...
Clothing - Get to play dress up. Who doesn't like that? Bums, thats who.
Weapon differences - Get to choose your style of attacking rather than having all stuff essentially being the same and choosing the one with the highest stats.
Meaningful mesata - Money means something more than just feeding your mag! Now you actually have to save up to buy some stuff. After youre done buying that stuff then you can waste it all on mags. :>
Pink room - I love pink and I love pink bedrooms. Since my dad wont let me paint my own room pink I get to in the game. Hee. ^.^
More room for cards - Limit to 30 cards was dumb. Now it is less dumb. :>
Face emotes - It's a lot better and more personal than people abusing happy face art, isn't it? ^.^ Although I was pretty proud of my little artwork face of Sonic the Hedgehog...
No reserved names - I always thought having names on a first-come first-serve basis in games was dumb. Yeah I know it was the same way in PSO, but it's still neat. :>

BAD STUFF

People all look the same - I guess Sega felt giving everyone all creation and clothing options would allow more individuality. But since they have the same customizing options people choose the same stuff. So people are actually less of an individual. :<
Needs more clothing - Okie you get to wear clothes. yay. WHERE ARE THEY ALL? We only get 4 buyable models per gender, even though this is the type of content my brother and some of my friends can pump out in photoshop over the weekend.
No pets - I want a puppy to take into battle. Do you think this is unreasonable? I don't. I want my puppy. Come on Sega.
No music changes - In PSO music would change to suit battle mood. Now its just the same track on loop. Not quite as interesting.
No voices - In the Japanese version characters actually talk and say things. Now they just grunt. Why are people in charge of game translations still so afraid of people hearing Japanese voices? We've all seen anime and we didn't care much about it in Soul Calibur. Stop chopping the game up!
Profanity filter - It's nice that I can actually say the word SHOES now without it being censored, but the filter is still way too sensitive. We're all adults here, right? Stop treating us like kids! Um...well maybe Im not an adult hee ^.^;; BUT SOME OF YOU ARE. I'm sure you understand.
Too much 4chan - I know that dumb site is popular these days and people think its funny to scream their little "meme" inside jokes, but really its just annoying. I guess annoying people is WHY they think its funny, but its too much. Seriously, if you feel the need to go into a lobby and yell "POOLS CLOSED" or "ITS OVER 9000!" thinking youre shaking things up or rattling cages, you're not. People do it every 3 minutes. You're not funny or different. You're like my little brother who just wants attention. Act like a human being.
Losing items - Ok, so you run an instance 300,000 times and finally get your amazing rare board. Then you run 300,000 more instances to get the materials for it. Then you try to synth it and it fails, so you run 300,000 more to get the mats again, and it fails. So you run 300,000 more and get lucky and make one. Then you grind it and it breaks. Is Sega TRYING to get people to quit the game? >.>
Room decoration tiles - Was it really necessary to add in big visible square tiles to show where the decorations go? They're ugly and stupid. I think Sonic Team's art department has spent too much time making platformers to realize that pointless neon tiles do not need to be placed in someone's apartment.
Too much teleportation - Do we really need little blocks in every corner and every door exit to instantly take us everywhere? Sure it's convenient, but it also makes the game feel very tiny. All it takes is the requirement to actually walk from one area to another to the next to make a game world feel immersive. I want to feel like I'm in an actual universe, rather than just jumping to different lobbies.
Bosses too easy - De Ragan lumbers around like a grazing cow as your party wails on it, Onmagoug just flies around and hopes you didn't bring a rifle, and lets just say those guys at Haruka Temple should be returning Adahna Gadahna to the manufacturer as defective merchandise. Call me a dumbbutt, but I actually think its fun when big battles pose a challenge and involve strategy rather than just mashing a button while you countdown to your free xp and loot. :<

{anyone notice my bad list is much longer than the good?)

Okie my rant is over. ^.^

Purun~~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Muffin on 2006-11-09 16:40 ]</font>

Shinou
Nov 9, 2006, 10:54 AM
Haha hey Muffin it's Kamin. I have to agree with you on somethings like for instance the PSO music. I use to love how when you werent fighting it was all nice and calm and as soon as you got into battle it speeded up. Also those "ITS OVER 9000" crap yell is stupid and annoying and very very not funny. It also woulda been cool to have English voices say things instead of grunting all the time. I mean they're decent voice actors out there.

Blenjar
Nov 9, 2006, 10:55 AM
I think you forgot about the online "updates" are already included in offline.

-- Blen

MayLee
Nov 9, 2006, 11:07 AM
I like how the worlds are so big that I got lost in them..>.>

Bad thing about is that they need maps for them! >.<

I walked around the city in Neudaiz and I did not know where I was oing..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MayLee on 2006-11-09 08:09 ]</font>

Pengfishh
Nov 9, 2006, 11:12 AM
On 2006-11-09 08:07, MayLee wrote:
I like how the worlds are so big that I got lost in them..>.>

Yeah, then we get the telepoints and it shrinks dramatically.

Yoiyami
Nov 9, 2006, 11:21 AM
Well, I agree with just about everything except for the "People all look the same" thing.

Yes, there are a lack of options because of all the "locked" content, but there are enough to make yourself somewhat of an individual until we recieve more updates. The main reason why there are so many clones is because of general lack of creativity with a lot of the players. When you see 500 black casts and 300 males with the same exact outfit and hair, they had more to choose from. They just chose to be generic. So I wouldn't blame Sega for the eyesores.

And you do get pets. Or something of the sort. Raise a lolibot and name it Lassy. XD

_Deliverance_
Nov 9, 2006, 11:22 AM
On 2006-11-09 07:55, Blenjar wrote:

-- Blen

Quit your bitchin', quit the game, or do both.

SleazyDZ
Nov 9, 2006, 11:31 AM
You dont seriously get lost do you. I dont know if your being sarcastic or not but if your not, try playing and MMORPG. If you think this world is big you haven't anything.

MayLee
Nov 9, 2006, 11:35 AM
On 2006-11-09 08:31, SleazyDZ wrote:
You dont seriously get lost do you. I dont know if your being sarcastic or not but if your not, try playing and MMORPG. If you think this world is big you haven't anything.

I've been playing for a week now, the first day I was thinking. "Hey, the cities are SPACIOUS NOW" and then it took me five minutes or so to figure out where I was and where everything is. I did the same on Neudaiz..

Guilty-Mirage
Nov 9, 2006, 02:36 PM
On 2006-11-09 07:46, Muffin wrote:
HI EVERYONE!!

Hello!

People all look the same

Huh? I haven't noticed this problem... at all.

Needs more clothing

Blame that on everyone wanting to look all l33t and badazz in black clothes. 90% of people wear nothing but black. The actual clothing options are pretty sweet, particularly if you check out the more expensive varieties on the other planets. Also, many more options are coming in updates.

No pets

PM girls are close enough for some, and there seems to be a lot of "locked" PM models you can get later. But yes, something other than "miniature girl with a giant weapon" would be nice.

Losing items

Fair point, but I'd take it any day over getting five trillion Varistas and never once seeing Guld or Milla. At least now you can choose what you want to synth with the items you get.

Too much teleportation

Give it six months and you'll be thankful. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Muffin
Nov 9, 2006, 03:58 PM
Blame that on everyone wanting to look all l33t and badazz in black clothes. 90% of people wear nothing but black. The actual clothing options are pretty sweet, particularly if you check out the more expensive varieties on the other planets. Also, many more options are coming in updates.

No, I'll blame sega cuz that's the problem. >.> I don't care what people choose to wear, I care that there aren't enough options. 4 models per gender to buy is not enough. And the clothing updates so far aren't enough. People need to stop championing these dumb updates like they're going to change the game, because they haven't and they won't.

Purun~~

Nukei
Nov 9, 2006, 05:03 PM
No voices - In the Japanese version characters actually talk and say things. Now they just grunt. Why are people in charge of game translations still so afraid of people hearing Japanese voices? We've all seen anime and we didn't care much about it in Soul Calibur. Stop chopping the game up!

Yesh!

Randomness
Nov 9, 2006, 05:22 PM
Profanity filter - It's nice that I can actually say the word SHOES now without it being censored, but the filter is still way too sensitive. We're all adults here, right? Stop treating us like kids! Um...well maybe Im not an adult hee ^.^;; BUT SOME OF YOU ARE. I'm sure you understand.

You complain about it being too sensitive, but every variant of the F word is uncensored. Thats the issue with it.

SolitaryEcho
Nov 9, 2006, 05:26 PM
I just got an idea about what they should've done about weapon grinding. Lets say you grind to 4 and fail the next try. The weapon goes back to normal then the next time you grind, it wont be able to grind past 4. And if you were to fail before you got to 4 then you wouldn't be able to grind past that.

Desudesu
Nov 9, 2006, 05:27 PM

Too much 4chan - I know that dumb site is popular these days and people think its funny to scream their little "meme" inside jokes, but really its just annoying. I guess annoying people is WHY they think its funny, but its too much. Seriously, if you feel the need to go into a lobby and yell "POOLS CLOSED" or "ITS OVER 9000!" thinking youre shaking things up or rattling cages, you're not. People do it every 3 minutes. You're not funny or different. You're like my little brother who just wants attention. Act like a human being.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Muffin on 2006-11-09 13:03 ]</font>

stopped reading here

Shinou
Nov 9, 2006, 05:52 PM
On 2006-11-09 14:27, Desudesu wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Muffin on 2006-11-09 13:03 ]</font>

stopped reading here

Why did you stop reading? Im guessing your one of the people who yell that nonsense and try to be funny. But hey i'm only guessing

Miphesto
Nov 9, 2006, 05:55 PM
i personally like when ppl look the same...all great games dont have tons of character creation options....takes too much power for something so stupid... and also u can tell when someone has something rare, or nice...

i like showing off...

BUT...i think the cast parts currently available are friggin stupid as hell looking, and i cant see why anyone would pay 20k m. for those ghetto looking parts...

ZiG
Nov 9, 2006, 06:09 PM
Don't like the way going to your room kicks you outta the party. Sure it's a separate server, but it probably couldn't have been to hard to get around this.

I really wish you could set the default chat channels to Party, or public, on a whim.

It would be nice to be able to check your Partner Machine's xp bar while out in the field. It would also be nice to toggle their speech while in missions. While I think it's utterly hilarious when my GH430 says "Yay!" when she kills something, others, apparently, do not.

And my last gripe, which is a fairly common one, but one I'm still peeved about, is "high chance of success" really means "I wouldn't do that if I were you." and "very high chance of success" means "lol, go ahead but I warned you."

Otherwise, I'm pretty damn content with PSU.

AlphaMinotaux
Nov 9, 2006, 06:18 PM
On 2006-11-09 08:22, _Deliverance_ wrote:

On 2006-11-09 07:55, Blenjar wrote:

-- Blen

Quit your bitchin', quit the game, or do both.

he did quit lol, he burned out after a week :/ he was too overhyped for the game.

On the note of individuality, I've yet to see one person wear what i wear or look what i look like and i just love the 4chan memes. Gives me something to do while waiting for people in lobbies.

Desudesu
Nov 9, 2006, 06:23 PM
On 2006-11-09 14:52, Shinou wrote:

Why did you stop reading? Im guessing your one of the people who yell that nonsense and try to be funny. But hey i'm only guessing

And you could be an unintelligent prick who thinks he is witty. But hey, I'm only guessing.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 9, 2006, 06:27 PM
Why did you stop reading? Im guessing your one of the people who yell that nonsense and try to be funny. But hey i'm only guessingYeah, the guy named Desudesu clearly isn't one of the 4chan meme spamming people.

Desudesu
Nov 9, 2006, 06:29 PM
On 2006-11-09 15:27, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:

Why did you stop reading? Im guessing your one of the people who yell that nonsense and try to be funny. But hey i'm only guessingYeah, the guy named Desudesu clearly isn't one of the 4chan meme spamming people.

Ahhhh! The generalizations. They burn!

ZiG
Nov 9, 2006, 06:37 PM
It could be a generalization, yeah.

But then again your comment is "Y halo thar." and you're from "ur base"...

Safe assumption on Ffuzzy's part, I think.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZiG on 2006-11-09 15:38 ]</font>

Desudesu
Nov 9, 2006, 06:44 PM
On 2006-11-09 15:37, ZiG wrote:

And it's just that; an assumption. I see where you're coming from, but to associate anyone with the named meme-spewing morons that lurk in-game on the basis of a few bytes of text is just silly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desudesu on 2006-11-09 15:46 ]</font>

Xeraphim
Nov 9, 2006, 07:21 PM
On 2006-11-09 15:44, Desudesu wrote:

And it's just that; an assumption. I see where you're coming from, but to associate anyone with the named meme-spewing morons that lurk in-game on the basis of a few bytes of text is just silly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desudesu on 2006-11-09 15:46 ]</font>

You're silly.
Silly goose.

Cash_Lavi
Nov 9, 2006, 07:31 PM
thank you Guilty-Mirage! I agree with people always wearing black. It honestly doesn't make you look badazz. Try something new people. I mean c'mon. I know you all think black is cool cause it resembles darkness...but dam try a different color...geez

Realmz
Nov 9, 2006, 07:34 PM
my soild red cast is the hottest thing in all of Ghural

Muffin
Nov 9, 2006, 07:43 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention. People from 4chan don't get to comment, since they're the annoying people in question. ^.^

Toastsmack
Nov 9, 2006, 07:46 PM
I'm in ur base killin ur doodz.

Pengfishh
Nov 10, 2006, 02:57 AM
On 2006-11-09 15:44, Desudesu wrote:

I ran into a fella spamming "Moa...toob" at the Raffon base and people were getting so angry at him. Ten or fifteen people crowded around him and moaned about him spamming. Only got insane from there. Folks spamming empty shout balloons and all sorts of madness.

Then the servers went down.

Shinou
Nov 10, 2006, 06:51 AM

Lol thats excatly another reason why I guess'd too.

_Deliverance_
Nov 10, 2006, 07:24 AM
I have no idea what people find so funny about 4chan. Internet kids these days....
Really. From what I've seen, it's pretty bottom of the barrel (omgbarrelrolllolololol) of humor.

But the bottom line is this: Use the Black List Function! Problem solved.

Realmz
Nov 10, 2006, 07:28 AM
/b/ represents all that is the internet behold the /b/tards creed!

"Tsunami owns the Asian continent, and we laugh. Psychotic emo takes his sickness out on a cat and we laugh. People mutilate themselves for no apparent reason and we laugh. Suicide, homicide, and genocide- we laugh. Racism, sexism, discrimination, xenophobia, and baseless hate- we laugh. We are mindless "me-too"ism; we are irrational preference; we are pointless flamewars; we are the true face of the internet.

We are anonymous, we are legion, and we do not forgive"

kazuma56
Nov 10, 2006, 08:16 AM
I don't see whats the problem, we get alot of leeroy jenkins in random MMORPGs and the thing wasn't even that funny, it STILL is being used and isn't funny.

As long as someone laughs, it will continue to be used, tis the way the world works... "I'm Rick James %^&*#!", if someone doesn't laugh at it, then it will cease to be funny, if someone does, it goes on and on till people get over it.

IMO, PSO ep1 was mostly ambiance at best, I didn't even hear the music most of the time until ep2... and I don't remeber the music picking up at all just for battles...think it was just part of the track.

Collar
Nov 10, 2006, 08:30 AM
"I don't understand the 4chan bashing, really. Sure, if it's overplayed, it's overplayed. Saying something enough times in repetition can get highly annoying - and that goes for anything, not just memes.

But, when done right, applying a joke from a meme that pretty much everyone knows, at the right time, in the right situation, is pretty bloody hilarious.

For example: a couple days ago I was playing with a friend, and we just up and decided to make a run for the dragon, at level 6 and 7. When we finally did make it to the dragon, it was quite funny that, after several minutes of taking a beating and getting nowhere, she lit up with a 'Its power level is over NINE THOUSAAAAANDD!'.

Anyway, the only reason we survived was due to a random level 21 afro guy, (who's name I can't remember), joining our group and helping us through, rezzes included. It was great fun, even if it netted us only a C-Rank.

Oh, and wherever you are, thanks, afro guy!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collar on 2006-11-10 05:32 ]</font>

MonomateJunky
Nov 10, 2006, 07:57 PM
Looting options and the ability to use whatever name you want are probably my two favorite good things. I just wish set random/in order were the default, not give finder, because more often than not I don't see people bothering to use them. Also, it's very strange to see someone else using 'your' name...

- No voices
I went out and bought La Pucelle Tactics the other day, and was overjoyed to see that Mastiff had left the original Japanese audio in as an option. When I got PSU, I was disappointed to see Sega had done nothing of the sort, and even more disappointed when I actually heard the voices they used. It's pretty hard to localize a game well, keeping as much of the original feeling intact, and clearly Sega didn't alot the budget that way. Ethan and his sister are so awkward and unnatural that it's just painful to watch. The voices overall are incredibly cheesy.

- Profanity filter
I don't think 'damn' has been considered a swear word since the Victorian era. Also, I find myself unable to talk about partner machineries or private messages because Sega's afraid I'm telling kids about a woman's menstrual cycle.

- Too much 4chan
I'm a colossal /b/tard: I spend ALL my time on 4chan-- well, I did before I started PSU-- and even I think this is just stupid. Why pay 10 bux to spam Universe 1 when you can do it for free back home? This isn't habbo hotel or gaia online; there's actually a game to be played here, so why waste time spouting tired memes? It never once occured to me to name my character Longcat or Battletoads, or to sit around inquiring about water fowl, because there's actually a better way to spend my time here. Like a screaming 3 year old, Anonymous will wear himself out eventually.

- Losing items
I don't like it any more than the next player, but it's pretty much a fact of online games. As much of a downer as it is, you're going to have to get used to it.

- Too much teleportation
Those little orange polyhedrons are everywhere. On the one hand, it keeps things quick and focused on the action, but it does make the world feel very small. I wouldn't mind doing a bit more travel.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonomateJunky on 2006-11-10 17:01 ]</font>