PDA

View Full Version : *Gasp, another Daylight topic, this one on the luck system.

daylight129
Nov 9, 2006, 06:24 PM
Anyway, this time I put my dukes up to express how I feel about the luck system and what it affects.

First before I get in to anything, if someone can link me something that is official (Not by like PSOW or some other fan site) that states what luck affects, then please do so and I will shut my mouth immediately. Anyways, on with the show...

In study of the PSUpedia section on luck, they say that it affects the following...

"Weapon Grinding
Item drop rates (details unknown)
Rare item drop rates (details unknown)
Rare enemy appearance rates (details unknown)
Critical Rate (details unknown)"

First of all the "details unknown" part is vague right off the bat. Now I can see how luck may raise the probability of item drop rates. That is easily modified to your luck when you make a party. But then we have an activity such as grinding a weapon, synthesizing an item, your critical chance, and rare enemy appearances. I couldn't seem to find anything relating to this subject on the PSU site or the manual, so either I missed it or there is a lot they left for us to assume and/or find out ourselves.

In an atmosphere such as a shop where the area is not catered to your status like when you lead the party with your luck, or any kind of similiar situation...how would your luck affect anything? There is a table on PSUpedia, that notes each and every success chance based on grinder base quality and the already grind on the weapon. If they are correct that luck is a factor, then how can any of this be justified? If you are say, given a 50% chance of success, but you have a full golden star of luck, what sense does it make to think that luck will make you end up on the success side of that 50% more than it will the failure side? A probability is a probability, so I don't get how some people think it will affect their synths, or their weapon grindage. Again, I speak out more from an unknowledgeable standpoint more than a combative one, so if you know more about this than I do without saying "It just does, we just know it does", then I'm put at ease. But continuing to believe your luck will put weight in your dice is silly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daylight129 on 2006-11-09 15:25 ]</font>

KirinDave
Nov 9, 2006, 06:26 PM
Luck seems to silently modify your chance of success. It's meant to be vague and poorly understood.

daylight129
Nov 9, 2006, 06:29 PM
Then what's leading anyone to believe it affects success % at all?

Ras
Nov 9, 2006, 06:30 PM
A probability is a probability, so I don't get how some people think it will affect their synths, or their weapon grindage.

You're right about synthing -- the percentages don't change with luck so I don't think luck would affect your chances. For grinding, you can actually get different percentages from the game (e.g. "high" vs "very high") with higher levels of luck. There's definitely an effect there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ras on 2006-11-09 15:31 ]</font>

galaxy
Nov 9, 2006, 06:41 PM
or maybe its just like an unseen thing, to give the impression of luck. now this is purely speculation, but it could make sense. lets take synthesizing for example. lets say you have a 50% chance of synthing something. obviously, probability is probability and nothing will be weighed. but, on this particular day, you have 3 luck and a brimming star next to your name. sure, the statistic still says 50%, but in actually, its bumped up to 65%. then, we still all THINK it's 50% , but are odds are actually increased, and we just don't know.

this isnt based on anything, and its probably not true, but it's an idea.

BloodDragoon
Nov 9, 2006, 06:43 PM
If you ever played a RPG such as D&D or anything else of that sort you'd realize you can boost success chances all you want but unless its a flat 100% all that really matters is the dice roll. This means your luck mod can boost a success chance but if your RL luck sucks it can still fail horribly.

EJ
Nov 9, 2006, 07:05 PM
the game is only 2 weeks old so trying to determine what luck effect will take awhile but I do know it affects your grinding luck and your synth luck not that the percent goes up but how much element you will get on that weapon is what I mean on the weapon synth part.

I also believe it affect item drop because days when I have zero luck nothing barely drops and days when I have some things drop everywhere.

But again it will take some time to see what luck affects since this game is only 2 weeks old which many people seem to forget. It hasn't been out for years to understand ever aspect of the game yet.

Genobee
Nov 9, 2006, 08:49 PM
no luck does effect sything greatly.... I had zero luck, I was making a 3 star gun, I had an 87% rate of success and 5 syths later all the guns had broke. then the next day I had lvl 3 luck, I made 3 cailburs, 2 Riviet gloves, a rappy satue and a gigaline, and all had less then 60% sucess rate and not one of them failed.

JaireLiay
Nov 9, 2006, 09:52 PM
Eh. I've never had great big shining luck. And, Im 3/3 on Durandals. 1/1 on Hajirods, 2/2 on Flourescent Bulbs.

Yoruichi
Nov 9, 2006, 10:19 PM
I am a strong believer that luck modifies synths and grinds. Comparing no stars to stars I can go a full day of 52%-82% synths no failure on a 3star day on a two star day 1-2 failures but when I do say a no star day I'd only have 1-3 successes out of 5-7 attempts. As for weapon affinity my best affinities (34-50%) have all been on 3 star days everything far and between 12-26% this includes armor.

Bahamut89
Nov 9, 2006, 10:21 PM
Luck changes what the grinding odds are. The shopkeeper actually gives you different odds when you have different luck values. These are listed on PSUpedia's grinding chart. There's nothing confusing about this.