PDA

View Full Version : old school fan on the fence about buying

huntlyon
Nov 9, 2006, 08:27 PM
to date I've played v.1 v.2 and PSOX.. sinking quite possibly 1000s of hours between them all.

however, this game is getting bitch slapped in the reviews. I just got my 360 back from Redmond and only now am able to be tempted by this title.

temper my resolve by waiting out a few months until there's more content to enjoy? pick it up immediately? avoid to keep my fond memories intact and unsullied?

Nestahima
Nov 9, 2006, 08:37 PM
For a longtime fan, PSU will satisfy. If you were content with PSO, and are ready for a slightly upgrade version with better graphics, etc, then it would be a good buy.

The fact of the matter is, the content isn't exactly all there. But it is coming. I'm happy with what we have now, and I'm excited to see what is coming.

The game got destroyed in the reviews because the reviewers look at it as an MMORPG and rival it against World of Warcraft in comparison. But PSU isn't WoW.

If you liked PSO, you'll like PSU.

MookMetal
Nov 9, 2006, 08:43 PM
yeah i agree with nestahima if you liked pso youll like psu and i would buy it soon even tho all the content is there yet just to get used to it for when it comes.

MaKaVeLi_X
Nov 9, 2006, 08:45 PM
Not necessarily, I played v1,v2,gc, and psu is by far the worse, Ive also had about 5 people i know from v1,v2 quit already.

huntlyon
Nov 9, 2006, 08:49 PM
2 for, 1 against... methinks I'll buy GoW and then wait until the next time my wife is out of town before I unload into PSU

Rageking
Nov 9, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'm old school DC....it's great...if you plan on pplaying 24/7, you'll be begging by week's end for new content however.

PJesus
Nov 9, 2006, 09:13 PM
Played all of these online: V1, V2, GC, PSOBB Beta... I don't like it much. It's lacking so much that it makes me wish it was just PSO with new graphics and a new chapter. :/

PJesus
Nov 9, 2006, 09:13 PM
On 2006-11-09 17:49, huntlyon wrote:
2 for, 1 against... methinks I'll buy GoW and then wait until the next time my wife is out of town before I unload into PSU

Getting a bit off topic I know, but so far I've enjoyed GoW more in 1 day than I have all of PSU so far.

Nestahima
Nov 9, 2006, 09:18 PM
Let me put it this way -- for the non-power gamer -- the one who takes time to try things out, play with room decorations, have fun talking to people, etc., it is a good experience.

For the person who is level 50 a week and a half in -- yes, they'll be disappointed. Currently post-50 there isn't anything else to do. But if you're like me, sitting at 10-20 on my characters, and having a good time, you'll enjoy the game much more.

People who liked PSO and not PSU are just stubborn. Just because PSO played different than PSU, doesn't mean its worse, it means its different. They don't give PSU a real try, they just powerlevel through it. If you learned to change and adapt, you'd enjoy it more. If you keep thinking, "This isn't PSO!" then you're missing out. You know why it isn't PSO? Because its not!

In conclusion -- I play casually, and I enjoy the game. I find it much more entertaining than PSO ever was.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestahima on 2006-11-09 18:19 ]</font>

MayLee
Nov 9, 2006, 09:29 PM
People have their different veiws and opinions.

I like the game though, takes time to get used to especially the whole synthasis thing..

MaKaVeLi_X
Nov 9, 2006, 09:33 PM
On 2006-11-09 18:18, Nestahima wrote:
Let me put it this way -- for the non-power gamer -- the one who takes time to try things out, play with room decorations, have fun talking to people, etc., it is a good experience.

For the person who is level 50 a week and a half in -- yes, they'll be disappointed. Currently post-50 there isn't anything else to do. But if you're like me, sitting at 10-20 on my characters, and having a good time, you'll enjoy the game much more.

People who liked PSO and not PSU are just stubborn. Just because PSO played different than PSU, doesn't mean its worse, it means its different. They don't give PSU a real try, they just powerlevel through it. If you learned to change and adapt, you'd enjoy it more. If you keep thinking, "This isn't PSO!" then you're missing out. You know why it isn't PSO? Because its not!

In conclusion -- I play casually, and I enjoy the game. I find it much more entertaining than PSO ever was.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestahima on 2006-11-09 18:19 ]</font>

Im stubborn because I dont like PSU but I liked PSO? Why is the game good just because you say so. Im not a powerleveler my highest char is 31 and I bought PSU on launch. If anything buy this game in 3 months when there is actually something to do. Its a waste of money now.

Maskim
Nov 9, 2006, 09:36 PM
This game is awesome. I've been playing Phantasy Star since the Master System, PS, PS2, PS3, the long awaited and ill timed PS4, PSO DC, PSO GC, and now PSU360. Not a one has disappointed yet, although PSO originally took a bit of getting used to for me.

If you liked PSO, you should like PSU(maybe you won't, but it would stand to reason for you to). Similar gameplay, improved graphics, simpler interface (once you get it down), excellent customization for classes and characters (especially compared to PSO). In fact, the only thing I prefer from PSO is that I miss my mag. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Although my SUV weapon fills my desire for photon blasts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maskim on 2006-11-09 18:38 ]</font>

Synth
Nov 9, 2006, 09:46 PM
I also played DC v1, v2 and PSOX and I'm in the same boat as you huntlyon. I was about to get a 360 on PSU's launch date just for PSU. I decided not to because of internet connection issues. I also don't want to ruin my experience; so I think best bet for me is to wait a month or two, maybe 3 if I can make it that far, then get PSU once more content is released. Going to get GoW and maybe something else to hold me over.
I doubt I'll last though, I'll probably will get in a month or when I'm down with GoW.

I would say if you are a complete fanboy/fangirl to get it but if you were you would have it by now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Synth on 2006-11-09 19:00 ]</font>

Longinous
Nov 9, 2006, 10:50 PM
I myself was also a big PSO fan, and have been for some time. I started in PSO DC ver. 1 and 2, I also picked it up for the Xbox and had loads of fun on that but i was upset that instead of making a new game i would have to grind through the lower end again and again, main reason why i have passed on the last couple of games. Now when i heard of PSU i was very excited, a new game, super customizable and from what it seems the attacking with weapons looks even more fun with all the different weapon and weapon combinations aswell as special moves with weapons so to me this all sounds amazing. I for one can not wait to pick up this game, i understand that it is lacking content but i mean come on the game just came out i am sure Sonic Team wants everyone to try out all the characters to see what you like most. Besides anyone that wants to complain about content that played PSO ver. 1 is crazy, from what i recall thier where only four lvls exactly the same in each difficulty that we had to grind through a million times lol.

I didnt expect PSU to get good ratings, and in my oppinnion it doesnt matter, this game is for the fans not everyone else, so i could care less what most ppl think of it.

Xeraphim
Nov 9, 2006, 10:59 PM
I've been playing Phantasy Star since the old GC days, but didn't drop in for BB. However, I was incredibly optimistic whenever I heard of Universe in 2005. And now we finally have it, and I'm not disappointed. People complain of lack of content, but if you're a casual gamer, that's not a big problem to you at all. I'm sitting low 20's right now and I'm very satisfied. I want to be able to customize my character as much as possible. Levellin' isn't important, but having an original room and clothes are. Heheh...

Casual gamers love it from what I can grasp. Some hardcore gamers too, but if you plan to just rush through the thing for end-game content like any other MMO... well, there ISN'T end game content, at least not at the moment. So if you're somewhat busy and play in your free time, why not give it a shot?

The_Gio
Nov 9, 2006, 11:02 PM
Ive only played v.1 and v.2 and well youll like psu if u liked those games, but there are gonna be times you'll miss "the old days"

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 9, 2006, 11:11 PM
PSU is better than PSO in every aspect except for amount of content. Thus, it would be sensible to wait a while before paying those monthly fees...but if you wanna play NOW, go for it!

AC9breaker
Nov 9, 2006, 11:17 PM
On 2006-11-09 18:18, Nestahima wrote:

2 right m8!

this should be like placed on the front page.

Edg3
Nov 9, 2006, 11:32 PM
On 2006-11-09 20:11, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
PSU is better than PSO in every aspect except for amount of content. Thus, it would be sensible to wait a while before paying those monthly fees...but if you wanna play NOW, go for it!

Different not better.

I'd say to rent it first or you could even DL the pc version and save the rental costs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ruby-chan
Nov 10, 2006, 01:11 AM
The game is getting slapped around in reviews for good reason. It's a good game but it has some serious problems, not to mention they want $9.99/month for what they've put out. Not quite as much content, the lack of things to do isn't being disguised by random dungeons either, so it's rather bald-faced obvious.

Also, as someone else said, there's more character customization options, but sometimes it feels like you can do less with it sometimes. Like for example, there's 15 or so hair options, but a lot of it is sameish, and a fair amount of it is tied up with strange hair accessories. Not to mention it's impossible to get a good bright pink haircolor, yet Lou, an NPC sports it happily. In fact it generally seems the NPCs always have better appearances then you're allowed to have. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

A lot of clothing is locked too.

Oh and PS1 for SMS is old school. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif PSO is not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ruby-chan on 2006-11-09 22:12 ]</font>

Maskim
Nov 10, 2006, 01:58 AM
At this point, I would have even accepted PS2 or PS3 for Genesis as old skool too. As much as I loved PS1, I've never been able to sit through replaying it. I've tried a couple times, but never get past lvl 5 before moving onto 2 or 4 for ease of use with the menu and storyline. Great game for the time though.

Ruby-chan
Nov 10, 2006, 02:14 AM
I know what you mean... I have a copy of Phantasy Star Generation 1 and 2 and I'm shuddering to think about going through those 3d dungeons again, but this time having to do it in Japanese. (Why oh why did the US translation have to be canned. ;.; )

Sinue_v2
Nov 10, 2006, 02:14 AM
As a long time fan of Phantasy Star - I find it funny that some of these PSO newbies are upset at PSU. I can remember a time when PSO first came out - and fans of the original were complaining and moaning about how it wasn't a real Phantasy Star title. Nobody understood what the oldies were talking about - all they cared about was the silly double-saber and finding rare monsters.

Well now the tables have turned, and PSO is the old game with PSU gaining a new audience. The PSO people (often) complain and whine about how PSU is worse - because it's not the same, or not a direct sequel to PSO.

Despite it's shortcommings, PSU is a HUGE step in the right direction. It's more balanced, more expansive (once the content gets filled in), more customisable, and honestly - more fun with six people in a party and the addition of Photon Arts.

PSU isn't even that HUGE a departure from PSO - not like PSO was from Phantasy Star IV. PSIV was a classic of the 16 bit generation - every bit on the level (IMO) with FFVI and CT. To go from that to... ugh.. PSO... it just left a gaping void which even PSU is now trying depserately to fill. Not as well as I would have hoped - but again, as I said, it's at least a step in the right direction.

At any rate - it's a better product... and like PSO did, it will only get better with time.

(PSO v.1, btw, had almost NO extra content - and was horridly bugged, poorly coded, and totally unbalanced in favor of HUmars)

Maskim
Nov 10, 2006, 02:35 AM
On a side note, while speaking of old skool sega games... Someone needs to release a new Langrisser game, stateside. As poor a translation as any game has ever had, I still think Warsong is one of my favorite games.

Ruby-chan
Nov 10, 2006, 11:51 AM
I don't know if I can agree that PSU is that much of an improvement, the customizability is great, but I sometimes feel that I can do less with it than I could with PSO. For example, the hair isn't as varied as I'd like and I can't seem to make a character with a decent pink hue of hair.

FrogKicker
Nov 10, 2006, 11:57 AM
On 2006-11-09 23:14, Sinue_v2 wrote:
As a long time fan of Phantasy Star - I find it funny that some of these PSO newbies are upset at PSU. I can remember a time when PSO first came out - and fans of the original were complaining and moaning about how it wasn't a real Phantasy Star title. Nobody understood what the oldies were talking about - all they cared about was the silly double-saber and finding rare monsters.

Well now the tables have turned, and PSO is the old game with PSU gaining a new audience. The PSO people (often) complain and whine about how PSU is worse - because it's not the same, or not a direct sequel to PSO.

Despite it's shortcommings, PSU is a HUGE step in the right direction. It's more balanced, more expansive (once the content gets filled in), more customisable, and honestly - more fun with six people in a party and the addition of Photon Arts.

PSU isn't even that HUGE a departure from PSO - not like PSO was from Phantasy Star IV. PSIV was a classic of the 16 bit generation - every bit on the level (IMO) with FFVI and CT. To go from that to... ugh.. PSO... it just left a gaping void which even PSU is now trying depserately to fill. Not as well as I would have hoped - but again, as I said, it's at least a step in the right direction.

At any rate - it's a better product... and like PSO did, it will only get better with time.

(PSO v.1, btw, had almost NO extra content - and was horridly bugged, poorly coded, and totally unbalanced in favor of HUmars)

Have mah man-babies....please?

Caukin
Nov 10, 2006, 12:03 PM
Coming from only playing PSO on Gamecube Episode 1-3 i'm not quite sure where the lack of contect compared to PSO is from. There are not as many quests as the end of PSO 1 and 2 and then 3. But thats b/c PSO was out for a period of time and added quests just as PSU will. I for one LOVE PSU. And I think its better than PSO. There are some changes, but I think they are great changes. Last nigth I just hit lvl 25 so Im not power griding to get to 50.... Although I am trying my hardest to get meseta to buy all the best weapons I can get. .. To the OP, If you love PSO and are a longtime fan. Just get the game now. No sense in waiting. If you dont enjoy what you see and you want to wait, you can. Just cancel your license and reactivate it in 3 or so months.

Camdino
Nov 10, 2006, 12:04 PM
I have been playing since DC also and everyone along the way. I like the look and feel of PSU and plan on playing for along time, although I have the same frustrations about the lack of content, the lack of weapons, and the fact that you have to make everything. I miss the old rush of seeing the red box fall and pick it up and have armor/wep in hand. On top of that I have seen only one piece of armor fall and only a hand full of weps drop in the field and they are ll very bottom of the line. I have gotten a few 8* items the food ones and 6* armor board but most of the items in game are trash atm.

Drannok
Nov 10, 2006, 12:23 PM
I've played PSO since the DC days. The game needs more content, but it is still enjoyable. I have a level 30 Cast (hunter 5, Ranger 3),a level 14 Newman (Force 2) and I still like the game a lot. I just try to find other stuff to do than grind all the time, such as buying new clothes and synthing. I try to synth very low probability items and see how many I can break. I broke 2 Dual Slashers last night and 1 Halbert. I love synthing. :/

I just wish there were more rare weapons... at least it's not like PSO where you find so many varistas that you want to kill the people who made the VARISTAS!

Oh, and Singleplayer is a good way to pass the time ( it's short, but mix it with online)... didn't know if you were going to play online from day one and skip singleplayer, or not...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Drannok on 2006-11-10 09:37 ]</font>

MagicPink
Nov 10, 2006, 12:51 PM
I've played since the DC as well and PSU is dull. Everything is shoddily put together and it's just a boring game.

And the people saying anyone not liking the game have something wrong with them need to grow the hell up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MagicPink on 2006-11-10 09:52 ]</font>

PrinceRhys
Nov 10, 2006, 02:26 PM
On 2006-11-09 23:14, Ruby-chan wrote:
I know what you mean... I have a copy of Phantasy Star Generation 1 and 2 and I'm shuddering to think about going through those 3d dungeons again, but this time having to do it in Japanese. (Why oh why did the US translation have to be canned. ;.; )

What? Come on, I loved the 3-D dungeons. They were actual mazes and made you feel like you were in the game instead of some all seeing overlord--like hey, the stairs are on the other side of that wall, let me see if I can walk around to get to them. Challenging? You bet, but I have played that game over and over. For the dungeons. For the classic enemies. Lassic. Darkfalz. When Laconian arms were king. Just a matter of preference though, I guess.

Anyway, I've liked every iteration so far since (although PS3 was a little wierd and PS2 seemed more advanced). PSU doesn't change the trend. Yeah, there could be more content, but I'm looking forward to what the future will bring. Fortunately, since level caps are low and some the content was held back, I had time to play offline mode, and as a casual player, I've had time to not be left too far behind.

If you are pondering getting the game now or not, one way to look at it is this: If you get the game down the road, you're starting from square one and a lot of the unlocked content you may not be able to access. One of the reasons I'm glad I started early is so I will be ready when some of this new content comes down the pipe such as expert classes and S-Rank missions.

Callous
Nov 10, 2006, 05:52 PM
For various reasons, one major one being PSU's lack of heart and soul, PSO is definitely the better game, but there's going to be lots of fun to be had with PSU, too. I'd say anyone who loves PSO will at least get their $50 worth before quitting PSU. Jump in!

huntlyon
Nov 10, 2006, 08:24 PM
"Oh and PS1 for SMS is old school. PSO is not."

I like to think of the two series as seperate entities.. my history with PS as a series sadly only goes back to PS2 on the Genesis.

I'm such a poseur.