PDA

View Full Version : Possible fix for slow graphics on PC version with NVIDIA bas

watashiwa
Nov 9, 2006, 09:17 PM
Well, I got a new laptop today which is equipped with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 video card.. The display on it is 1280x800 so I immediately installed PSU to test it at the high end setting in 800x600 windowed mode.

When I left my room and went to the colony, I noticed some slowdown when approaching the fountain and massive slowdown on the other floors and in the city located on Neudiaz. This was unacceptable to me because I know this card can do 60fps in this game at this resolution based on a friend of mine having the card and having gotten 60fps in the JP version awhile back.

Anyway, no amount of tinkering in PSU's options would net me a stable 60fps no matter what I did.. so I went into the NVIDIA control panel instead..

There are three settings in the basic settings which are set to "Application Controlled". The antialiasing setting, anisotropic filtering setting, and v sync setting.. change ALL THREE and force them "Off" then apply your settings.

Go back into the game and try "Normal" (for 30fps) or "High End" (for 60fps) and see how it works.. this worked on my laptop.. now I have a solid 60fps in 800x600 windowed mode.. which is awesome.

If anyone already discovered this, I'm sorry, I haven't been paying attention to any NVIDIA threads and this is the first one I've tried with PSU..

In addition to this, the NVIDIA card (when Anisotropic filtering is turned off) displays text on the side of the screen and over characters PERFECTLY (unlike ATI).. there's no distortion at all.

http://www.pioneer2.net/cleantext01.jpg

http://www.pioneer2.net/cleantext02.jpg

http://www.pioneer2.net/cleantext03.jpg

http://www.pioneer2.net/cleantext04.jpg

SpikeOtacon
Nov 9, 2006, 11:36 PM
I'll give this a shot. My graphics card is far from a 7600 (5200) but it says it's compatable and supported. I wasn't expecting full graphics but I've had to constantly point the camera at the ground in order to move at a decent pace with the rest of the group. (This is on windowed 800x600 with normal settings). I'll let you know if things improve at all.

Para
Nov 9, 2006, 11:38 PM
Hmm this is interesting to know... My friend is actually offering to sell me his Nvidia 7600GT 256mb video card for 100 bucks canadian.

AlphaMinotaux
Nov 9, 2006, 11:39 PM
the difference from normal to low settings is really minimal.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 10, 2006, 12:15 AM
Ok, after running a quick test, I can say that this does attack it's weakpoint for massive damage. In other words, this works really well. I used to have a really low (often times single digits) framerate during normal combat. Now, even when Candor used his Beast Nanoblast I managed to maintain a good smooth framerate. I got no lag in the fountain area of the Guardian Colony, which was also a place I used to have some problems.

However, I still got a lot of lag doing missions on Parum. Something about that area chokes my computer up and makes it cry. For the most part it solved some of the slowdown problems I had. When I knocked my graphics up to high-end, it was like wading through a field of Jello. It felt like something out of a space movie where everyone's floating around outside the space station. So it's not quite a miricle fix, but it does help a bit.

Candor asked me if I got any tearing, and for the test period I ran, I had no graphical tearing whatsoever.

watashiwa
Nov 10, 2006, 12:35 PM
Spike, try setting your textures to compressed in PSU and moving all the clipping sliders to the middle as well as the effect slider..

Might help for your case... (Try with both frameskip 0 or 1)

Rubesahl
Nov 10, 2006, 03:00 PM
Its quite sad that a 5200 can run a lot of games that are more graphically advanced than PSU more smoothly O_o buggy engine lol Though not even the PS2 saves itself O_o;; I did a Parum dragon run with a full team and its pretty damn slow when there's a lot of monsters. And in the dragon it also has its slow parts. I like how it recovers better than the PC version though. Plus I HATE SLOW MOTION *__* TO DEATH

xenokai
Nov 10, 2006, 07:23 PM
or you could save alot of time and just turn off vsynce on the PSU settings (forced on in window mode i think) Also whats this about ATI card haveing display text problems because i never seen any problems.

Asura17
Nov 11, 2006, 04:31 AM
wow awesome.. i just tested this with a 6600 gt.. i previously was playing at max res and everything on high except for frameskip which was set to 1, when i set it to 0 for some reason it was REALLY REALLY SLOW.

I changed the settings in the graphic card menu like you said, now i get a smooth 60 fps everywhere! even in intense battles OMG! thanks so much this has made my day.. 60 fps is simply.. amazing.

Realmz
Nov 11, 2006, 05:06 AM
i was having problems as well, for some reason, the ground textures (along with all other environment textures) at distance would become blocks, turning off what you said, made everything blur smoothly. I think i'll test these with my max res now too. oh i use a 6800

PS> Finnally i no longer have that aweful text http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Jaske
Nov 11, 2006, 09:07 AM
i have a 7300 gs and I can't find where vsync is but i found the other two and it's running better but i have slow down probs with two of the cut in chats, the ones with the blue background, sneer and something else anyway, where should i look for vsync at?

Durkan
Nov 11, 2006, 09:13 AM
I dont know how to get to my NVIDIA settings... help =O

Realmz
Nov 11, 2006, 09:41 AM
On 2006-11-11 06:13, Durkan wrote:
I dont know how to get to my NVIDIA settings... help =O

go to control panel > display > settings
click advanced
click on the Gefroce tab
have fun

Kalier
Nov 11, 2006, 09:49 AM
i'm running the game fullscreen with no slowdown on high, simply because i turned Frameskip to 2 =)

klunka
Nov 11, 2006, 10:14 AM
On 2006-11-11 06:07, Jaske wrote:
i have a 7300 gs and I can't find where vsync is but i found the other two and it's running better but i have slow down probs with two of the cut in chats, the ones with the blue background, sneer and something else anyway, where should i look for vsync at?

I'm running into the same problem with vsync off. so that's not your problem

kassy
Nov 11, 2006, 12:49 PM
AF off = blurry distance textures
AF app controlled = blocky distance textures
AFx16 = smooth distance textures

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kassy on 2006-11-11 09:54 ]</font>

Xbob
Nov 11, 2006, 03:13 PM
lol Everyone I know has done this for years. Now I'm not saying I'm some uber cool dude for knowing, but I thought like everyone did this. This should be the first thing I recommend to people I know getting slowdown, I just thought it was something everyone did... Hmmm..

Also-

i'm running the game fullscreen with no slowdown on high, simply because i turned Frameskip to 2 =)

Turning frameskip to 1 is usually enough. Turning it to 0 makes the game run beautifully, but can cause slowdown much easier.

AF off = blurry distance textures
AF app controlled = blocky distance textures
AFx16 = smooth distance textures

That's obviously a result of not having it enabled. We're not talking about the disadvantages of it going off though (Far as I can tell.) we're talking about being able to PLAY the game by turning it off.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xbob on 2006-11-11 12:14 ]</font>