PDA

View Full Version : Ranger.... useless... resist urge to shoot hunter...

shybaason
Nov 10, 2006, 12:20 AM
first of all I apologize if this has been said before....

Ranger... we are NOT DD.... we arent teh ubar1337 we are crowd control..... we are NOT useless... I can't count the number of times I have heard "lol ranger is the most useless class" it's really annoyed me, ALOT!!

The one reason i've seen that could make rangers "useless" is the fact there is NO organization in a party.... its all jsut swing your weapon or blast spells at w/e moves to tag them all !!!

Rangers have currently 4 bullet... Fire/burn Ice/freeze plasma/shock Grav/silence. now of those 4 Burn is useless as crowd control, Silence is only good on casters.... but wait i havent seen an AE spell castd yet except debuffs DODGE THEM!! so again.. pointless.. leaving 2 Crowd controls
Freeze and shock
Freeze is by far the better of the 2 due to the fact the enemy cant MOVE cast or attack
it's helpless.
Shock prevents attacks but allows for movement and spell. (this is for now, once Light bullets are accessed good bye shock hello confusion!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Freeze bullets are useless for crowds atm... 6 hits remove it... i am fully aware that a frozen enemy has 0 EVP... but that doesnt outweigh thefact that 1 or 2 or however many frozen enemys out of the entire room are now incapable of doing ANYTHING for 5-10 seconds. that's 0 dmg taken at all... DON'T TOUCH THE POPSICLE!!!

but currently no one seems to understand cooperation. Hunters run around soloing mobs, forces struggle to tag everythin AND keep rambo hunters alive... and Rangers cry because we get called useless....

My point is dont call a ranger useless... we arent, the majority of people just dont seem to understand what we are there for, YOU do dmg or heal... We keep the 80000 other things aound you from kicking your rear end until your ready for em.

Thank yo for taking the time to read this and let's hope it helps othersto understand that Huner isnt the ONLY thing that works and Ranger's are needed.

PS: If anyone dares to say if you dont like it play hunter... i've played all 3. Hunter is not hard after playing ranger, but i's boring >_> Force can't tag as effectivly since as a Cast my resta's are already meh at best so it takes 2 or 3 to have the same effect as any one else D:

mogshaz
Nov 10, 2006, 12:25 AM
Finally someone who realizes it!!! i am not alone!

Garnet_Moon
Nov 10, 2006, 12:27 AM
If you aren't using machineguns and reminding me of old school GI Joe with the sound effect they make, then you don't need to stay in my party.

You can use other guns... but use the Machinegun often plz. <3

SpikeOtacon
Nov 10, 2006, 12:29 AM
I'm a Ranger, and I haven't been called useless yet. In fact, i've been on a few teams that found me to be a big help rather than a useless hunk of metal. The biggest thing they liked was my freeze bullets in my shotgun, which allowed the hunters and forces to tear into the enemies with less fear of being attacked. Even my machine gun's freeze shot is incredibly useful in many situations that require crowd control.

I'm not saying that people don't say this, i'm just saying that I haven't been in a party yet where i've been treated like dirt for being a ranger. I think the humans are just scared because i'm a CAST, but you know how that is. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Nani-chan
Nov 10, 2006, 12:30 AM
Well I already knew this, but glad you've realized yourself. We turn 6 enemies into 3 enemies and 3 punching bags. (sometimes more, sometimes less)

Garnet_Moon
Nov 10, 2006, 12:32 AM
When you paralyze those leader mobs and keep them from molesting me from behind it's cool. When you don't then it's not cool. And then i'll haunt you.

Rangers are far from useless, but I do wish more would use shock rounds.

BloodDragoon
Nov 10, 2006, 12:35 AM
Well I took hunter to 10 and now working on ranger to 10. So far yeah I've noticed DPS isnt there but spamming status effects helps parties nicely. However I also noticed that I probably drove every ranger I partied with as a hunter nuts by spamming PA's that throw monsters around. However another thing I've noticed is gun type weapons which rangers focus in seem to be more effective against enemies that can fly like the small dragon like monsters that spawn in parum's outdoor missions or those gargoyle looking things in neudaiz. Sadly tho I've experimented with every gun type available currently and IMO rifle and shotgun performance is lackluster at best. But thats why we're getting expert classes later that can use lasercannons and grenade launchers right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

shybaason
Nov 10, 2006, 12:36 AM
personally i almost always use shock, Freeze is nice but unless the hunter's and yourself have control and dont hit it to much it's not as good :3

BloodDragoon
Nov 10, 2006, 12:38 AM
atm I use freeze on dual handguns and shock on machineguns. but those are just my preferences.

Bahamut89
Nov 10, 2006, 12:39 AM
Burn's actually pretty powerful at higher levels, apparently (wouldn't know myself).

I don't mind when they break the popsicles. If they stay frozen, I'm helping the party defensively. If they choose to take advantage of the 100% hit rate, I'm helping the party offensively. Win-win situation.

Shock kind of annoys me, because it runs out sort of randomly so I feel like I should keep dodging them anyway. Which means it doesn't really do anything. Maybe hunters like it more because dodging's more troublesome?

Silence is useless.

Ryogen
Nov 10, 2006, 12:41 AM
I'm a lvl 5 ranger (and a lvl 4 hunter). I know peope call many diffrent classes uesless, but ranger gets the most haters, then hunters then forces. Rangers in my opinion are the "Croud Control" of the three. We put status effects on enimeies faster. With duel pistols you can freeze five enemies comming at you just to be delt with by the rest. Not only that we can use daggers, swords and spears, but daggers and spears are the best for rangers. Easy combo with dagger and then a quick pull of the handgun gets the job done.

Defense is not an issue if we are way in the back. A ranger that uses strategy can be effective with a group or by themselves. Hunters and Forces are good too, but ya know, don't diss a class unless you tried it at least till you raise it to lvl 2.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 10, 2006, 12:41 AM
On 2006-11-09 21:39, Bahamut89 wrote:
Silence is useless.

I double dog dare you to say that when you're eating Gibarta and getting froze on every single tick and being unable to attack. I double dog dare you. *narrows eyes*

BloodDragoon
Nov 10, 2006, 12:44 AM
Burn causes a DoT that causes the monster to lose a set % of it's max HP every couple seconds so it ends up eating a fair amount of HP on B and A rank missions. As a hunter I had burning shot set on my handgun/saber combo. It worked well when rangers used lightning shots to cause a shock effect since as far as I have seen so far burn/freeze cancel eachother.

Ryogen
Nov 10, 2006, 12:46 AM
On 2006-11-09 21:41, Garnet_Moon wrote:

On 2006-11-09 21:39, Bahamut89 wrote:
Silence is useless.

I double dog dare you to say that when you're eating Gibarta and getting froze on every single tick and being unable to attack. I double dog dare you. *narrows eyes*

QFT

shybaason
Nov 10, 2006, 12:47 AM
i'll definatly be happy once light bullets come out <3'd confusion trpas on PSO http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Please sega HURRY!!!

Bahamut89
Nov 10, 2006, 12:51 AM
Those Gibarta guys are practically immune to status ailments anyway. I've tried. Maybe better rangers than I could do it, but alas, I am merely newman.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 10, 2006, 12:58 AM
On 2006-11-09 21:51, Bahamut89 wrote:
Those Gibarta guys are practically immune to status ailments anyway. I've tried. Maybe better rangers than I could do it, but alas, I am merely newman.

You need to get in gear then! I can't imagine the horrors of fighting mobs with that AoE like Gibarta that heals them and hurts us alot... god i'm already having nightmares of this.

Gamemako
Nov 10, 2006, 12:59 AM
Man, if anything, rangers are friggin' nuts. Get a group of 4 gunners and watch the monsters hit the floor before they even get close. If anything, SEGA is obsessed with the prospect of psycho-gunners. Hunter PAs can knock foes down, but gunners just turn the opposition into swiss cheese. Shotguns are just as insanely powerful as they were in earlier PSO (with the slight difference of no more knockback shots).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gamemako on 2006-11-09 22:01 ]</font>

Grr
Nov 10, 2006, 01:06 AM
Heres my in sight into Ranger (as far as SE goes) :

Earth(silence): Only one monster in the game casts a deadly spell thus far , and thats the horse men in the forests , that ice spell will catch hunters off guard big time , and you may lose S rank in a few secondss . i personally have not played much with earth (lvl 5 >.>)

Shock: This is very handy against monsters who charge (although a rifle stun stops charging as well ) But the main idea is to nail what ever monster a hunter is face to face with (it seems to proc more than freeze but wears off faster, maybe because mines a little lower than my freeze.) the monster ends up with no attack options (if it cant cast spells) and starts to back off , said hunter then has nothing stopping him from finishing every combo he starts , leading to much higher damage, unless another in a group starts to attack the hunter , in which case , get it shocked as fast as possible

Burn : not as useless as youd think , the SE at level SE2 PA20 (twin burn lvl 20 in other words) ,( havent level rifle past 11 ill get back to you once i do >.>) can hit A higher lvl A class monsters for more than the bullet, consider doing 100 100 then an extra 92-95 popping up on lower monsters (A rank poltys or so) i can imagine Higher SE burn will do a higher % ,several 100s per every few seconds im guessing at S rank, which is why im leveling burn rilfe Atm. Also burn and earth bullets get 5% damage bonus (as far as before elemental properties are applied, as in , they hit a bit harder as a given at the same levels) than ice or lightning.

Freeze : by far my favorite , Frozen shot took forever to hit 20 , but im glad i did and im looking foward to 30 on Adv. classes. Now freeze rates are based on monster resists , which factors in your Acc and the Mobs MST, among other things. anyways when paired with a decent rifle , this combo is deadly to almost every monster in the game. deadly as in immobolizing , not killing, mind you..
i will not go a a long rant about this one , basically a frozen monster = dead. yes its six hits, but theres alot of damage potential in those hits , not to mention its cannot do ANYTHING (combines shock/silence , and holds it in place, so yeah , get it >.>

I have found out , the closer you are to a monster , the sooner your bullet hits and the sooner you can shoot again, thus i developed a tactic to point blank a monster (usally pick the most troublesome for the Pt) over and over. if you hit it hard enough and run at it while you shoot, it will becomed stunned AFTER EACH HIT, this works well with any bullet , but with freeze , you can push the monster by stunning it over and over and then IF (WHEN, ive never met a mob i couldnt eventually freeze save for larger , immune ones) it freezes , you pick out another monster (since that one is frozen in a corner , away from your party) and repeat, with High Acc versus mobs with low mst (dont quote me on this , but i suggest the robots in Grove of Fanatics, i stopped using electric on them completely after i found how often i could freeze them) you can control a whole room , as i did the whole way at lvl 40 (on Grove A). the trick is hitting the right monster. if one starts to wind up and attack on a force/hunter , nail it and it gives the hunter a chance to finish a combo or a force enough time to retreat (or hit it with a spell)

Basically , dont over look the rifle, i see way too many rangers going dualies only for the slight dmg increase. i carry four rifles ,three dualies,and a spear, each category of rifle and dualie has a Non-equipped back up in case things get really bad and a spear is usless (say a bunch of dragons spawn and your drained , but boss is soon so going back for charge means losing SUV)

but that little hiccup the monster does after a good rifle hit , plus that nudge back wards, makes a huge difference in crowds. like for example , five Vharas run a a hunter with a 2H sword, due to the limits can only hit three of them. wait for his first swing and target the other two the sword doesnt hit and start unloading into them , they will follow you instead , and you can pull them to a safe spot and wail on them (with a little artful doding for when you get a 0 for a miss and they get an attack in) while the hunter uses his sword to its maximum potential 3/3 enemies , dealing the most damage , completely safe (well usally , some hunters find intresting ways to get themselves kiled).

also one last side note : as far as being the crowd controllers (protectors i like to think of it as ), try to get a good view of all the action , a small hill or some stairs are ideal for this, which is where i fight most battles, until a monster gets way too close to a force , then i run myself inbetween , take maybe one hit , and drive that demon waaaay back into a corner using the stunn and run tactic(most likely frozen too) , which is usally met with a thank you resta , which always rocks.

wow that was way too long for my own good. hope someone got something otu of that >.>.

Crap forgot to put add that rifles get actual higher level status effect (SE3 at 11) (last longer and such) while dualies stay at SE2 the whole way , same with shotties SE2 all the way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grr on 2006-11-09 22:10 ]</font>

Zakuro
Nov 10, 2006, 01:07 AM
I'm personally not a big fan of ice, although it might change once I get my rifle's ice shot up to 11+ for SE 3. I find it doesn't last long enough, especially after doing my first B rank mission in a party. Even when no one seemed to hit what I froze it seemed to break within a few seconds, often likely 2-3, when using my twin handguns. When it was attacked, it seemed to only take 1 or 2 to break it, with me often breaking it myself accidently by firing too fast. I didn't try shock bullets at all so can't really compare duration, but in C ranks it lasts a nice amount of time compared to ice so I'm sure it continues to be the case.

Confusion I'll have to try, but I've heard it only makes them attack the closest target, which in parties will likely be the Hunters. Even if it does work better than that we still have to see the proc rate and duration. I'm sure shock and silence will still be useful even with confuse, just like virus is different from burning (less damage but faster).

As for things immune to status effects, from reading the ranger thread in the guides section it sounds like the SE level of a bullet can let it affect things normally immune. It might only be SE 4, but not entirely sure. I'm also not sure if it is limited to Rangers or Fortegunners or what, the impression I got from reading the thread was it wasn't completely understood how it worked out yet just that certain things were starting to get affected.

Katachi
Nov 10, 2006, 01:07 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=125908&forum=20&start=0

Every class is good, if you know how to play, and it looks like we have some talented Rangers on PSOW!

My brother plays a lvl 6 Ranger and can do an amazing job on offense and defense. Rangers can do serious damage to flying enemies/bosses, whereas I'm limited to the range of my little handgun...

A skilled player with the Grenade Launcher will be a sight to behold. Especially if you can add burning shot! O.o

Genobee
Nov 10, 2006, 01:10 AM
I think hunter Pa's have better crowd contol, I can keep a monster from hitting me and doing massive damage to it at the same time,

KiteWolfwood
Nov 10, 2006, 01:10 AM
I use shock rounds on my shotgun. Love it so far. Wish I could get a better shotgun though or grind mine. But yeah going around shocking everything is awesome. Never been called useless or heard anyone say anything bad bout rangers in game yet. Specially when we are doing B+ missions.

Grr
Nov 10, 2006, 01:11 AM
longest double post. ever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grr on 2006-11-09 22:17 ]</font>

shybaason
Nov 10, 2006, 01:16 AM
hmmm 90+ dmg a tic for burn eh.... i think i better get those last few levels on mine then then again i havent done much A rank stuff(spam B temple way to much and those bots wont burn D:) and by those horse guys you mean kamatzoz i hought that was jsut 11+ barta maybe im wrong idk x.x

Garnet_Moon
Nov 10, 2006, 01:18 AM
I've only got 1600 HP and I eat 76 damage per tick from burn in the temple. Burn is evil.

I love when my PM gets hit with burn though...

"Oh no! I'm overheating!"

LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-09 22:19 ]</font>

DaveOnrefni
Nov 10, 2006, 01:19 AM
Fire damage is very useful on larger enemies, especially with the 11+ Rifle PA's. Doing over 300 a tick on the large Bull-Things, and 104 to the Jumpy things in the Relics on B. 100+ on Worms on C, and.. it just helps alot on those higher rank ones =P

ProfessorZ
Nov 10, 2006, 01:29 AM
Thats why I absolutely love being a ranger because if I'm in a good party I can be the status effect person/damage person. If i play with 4 forces I use my ground machine gun, ice machine gun and dark spear. If I'm playing with four hunters I use my status effect alot with my fire, ice and shock twin handguns run in and drop a little PA that makes you fall down. I love being a ranger because I love being effective managing PP and doing whats necessary to protect the hunters when they are paralyzed or frozen. And often times then most Rangers make effective use of sol, moon and star atomizers. Ranger is the best class and today I realized I wanted to be a fortegunner instead of being a figunner (which ive said I 've wanted to be for a long time lol). In short, rangers are the shit. For some reason I hate using a rifle I want to use a bow more http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tra
Nov 10, 2006, 02:17 AM
I think ranger is lacking. My force's bow hits harder than rifles (935 ATT) also with status effects. Plus if I wanted to do status effects of my own, I would spam rafoie/rabarta/razonde(oh this works wonders)/radiga that regularly does 400-500 damage to elementally weak monsters.

Pretty sure fortegunners will be good later http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif But now, rangers suck. Nothing else to it.

Dire
Nov 10, 2006, 02:24 AM
Ranger's damage is directly related to grinding (as well as PA leveling obviously). A +10 vullseye gains about 200 ATP!!! Force bows do not do more damage than rifles. You lose more ATP in the class change than you gain from the weapon.

Bahamut89
Nov 10, 2006, 02:26 AM
Wait, higher level SEs on Bullets actually make them have better effects? I thought it just affected the application rate. Well, all the more reason rifles are the best gun, not like I needed any more.

Well, crossbows look like they'll be pretty sweet though, level 3 SE on mutliple targets? Count me in!

Tra
Nov 10, 2006, 02:29 AM
my bow has 667 att dude

Mystil
Nov 10, 2006, 02:53 AM
What did you expect ranger to be? As powerful as the RAs in PSO? Seriously am I the only one who really notices when a ranger joins the party? Rangers make shit go by really fast! Damage does not have to be the most effective way at killing something. Throughout gaming history the leading detrimental situation that can happen to a player or an enemy is status effects. That is what rangers excel at and it's damn good in PSU.

Zakuro
Nov 10, 2006, 02:58 AM
On 2006-11-09 23:26, Bahamut89 wrote:
Wait, higher level SEs on Bullets actually make them have better effects? I thought it just affected the application rate. Well, all the more reason rifles are the best gun, not like I needed any more.

Going by the Ranger thread in the guide section (may not be in the first post, it is a long thread with tons of info burried in it) SE level does not make them proc more often, but rather improves the effect. Ice, shock, and silence will last longer and supposively affect stronger creatures, not entirely sure on burn. My guess is it either like the other effects or will have a higher dmg % per tick, maybe both.

If I remember correctly from the thread, a SE 2 effect will last twice as long as a SE 1 one. I'm not sure if it doubles again at SE 3 or if SE 3 is 3x SE 1 as I don't believe it was mentioned in the post.

On 2006-11-09 23:53, Silhouette wrote:
What did you expect ranger to be? As powerful as the RAs in PSO? Seriously am I the only one who really notices when a ranger joins the party? Rangers make shit go by really fast! Damage does not have to be the most effective way at killing something. Throughout gaming history the leading detrimental situation that can happen to a player or an enemy is status effects. That is what rangers excel at and it's damn good in PSU.

In most MMOs or other games that have good status effects they either aren't as useful early on or more commonly, misunderstood by the general population. As things get more difficult it'll likely become more apparent in general as their effect will be more noticable.

Chances are you'll want someone (or multiple) in each role for high level S-rank missions in the future if you want to go through them efficiently.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zakuro on 2006-11-10 00:04 ]</font>

Miyoko
Nov 10, 2006, 03:09 AM
To quote my friend, who's a BEAST HUNTER: Soloing sucks. When you're [a ranger], not around, I get hurt a lot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

... Huzzah.

Silver_Wyrm
Nov 10, 2006, 03:21 AM
I joined a group, got aske dmy class...when I said ranger I was told I useless and kicked, but not before I told thme to run temple A, I hope they took my adivce... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif only happned once though, though I have been asked how I can stand being such a "low damage" class before

Garnet_Moon
Nov 10, 2006, 03:21 AM
On 2006-11-10 00:09, Miyoko wrote:
To quote my friend, who's a BEAST HUNTER: Soloing sucks. When you're [a ranger], not around, I get hurt a lot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

... Huzzah.

Fortunately since you are alone you get all the frequently dropped Di/Trimates to yourself. I don't see that as much of a problem. Solmizers and Antimates on the other hand though... oye.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 10, 2006, 03:25 AM
On 2006-11-10 00:21, Silver_Wyrm wrote:
I joined a group, got aske dmy class...when I said ranger I was told I useless and kicked, but not before I told thme to run temple A, I hope they took my adivce... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif only happned once though, though I have been asked how I can stand being such a "low damage" class before

The only thing I need in Groovy Fans A, as a Hunter, is a plentiful supply of Antimates and Solmizers. Those usually run out at the end of a block so I can just go back and buy more. Everything else I procure onsite.

It just takes a while if i'm alone. o.O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-10 00:26 ]</font>

Ocin
Nov 10, 2006, 06:34 AM
I see no reason as to why Rangers are considered useless, and I'm a hunter. A few reasons:

1. When an enemy is frozen, it does not step out of the way of the last 2 hits of rising strike. Therefore, enemy = dead.

2. They're doing damage just like me. The difference is, they're safer.

3. If I find a Photon Charger, then they give me money.

Of course, it would be foolish to forget the main flaw, which is limited ammo. But even so, I'd be glad to have a ranger in my party.

Polenicus
Nov 10, 2006, 08:05 AM
I'm just now getting into ranger, levelling it in preparation for Figunner (Actually, I'll probably take it to 5, then take Hunter to 10, then back to Ranger to 10, just in case I want to try Fotegunner or Fortefighter). I'm still a bit gimped on guns (Cash flow issues), but for now twin handguns are easily my favourite for big parties. Slap on ice bullets, hang back, and sidestep while unloading on the crowd of mobs. Twin handguns with ice bullets also rip the hell out of the dragon.

Repeaters are GREAT for the Rhino-things in Relic runs. Just step into range, bring it up and start unloading. Hose until dead. Haven't gotten a elemental bullet for it yet simply because I mostly do dragon runs.

Shotguns are great, but a bit to slow to get tags when you've got a large party. For threesomes they're excellent.

Rifles are probably the best thing for those dragon-things on Parm, but my parties have been so lightning fast lately I barely get the chance to switch... I seem to have a better chance of getting a tag if I just fire wildly for the few seconds they're permitted to exist http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rangers DO take a bit to get into, and to start I didn't enjoy them. But now I'm having a lot of fun, and look forward to loading myself up with some better weaponry and bullets.

Carlo210
Nov 10, 2006, 08:49 AM
Rifles do good damage, but (as a level 5 ranger), a rarely ever see the status effects of my 11+ bullets (of each element) go off on my +3 vullseye and +3 burzaihoh.
Rifles absolutely detriment the purpose of a ranger. What I see so far, fortegunner guns (rifles, etc) are for rangers who want to do more damage (yet fail because rangers aren't good at doing damage).

AngelLight
Nov 10, 2006, 11:21 AM
Darkness shot is going to have the potential to give rangers a huge damage boost. Early talk about it is that it's twice as strong as burn at least....We wont know till it becomes mainstream (on JP servers) at least though.

Freeze and Shock are all good for CC, Silence is awesome in just about every mission on Neudiaz.

Burn is fine on high HP mobs, so dont knock it for now but yeah by the time dark attacks hit it's prolly going to disappear.

Light shots (for confusion), that should be interesting ^_^

Otaku
Nov 10, 2006, 11:47 AM
i am always a hunter in any ps game i dunno i found rangers good in a party cause they had shots and ranged weapons(O_o dur)...cause i mean best party (pso) was 2 hunters(1 human and 1 cast) 1 ranger(cast mostly) 1 force (newman) i mean we had two tanks and a range killer and a healerdotter...i mean rangers are nice to have in a party and i have tried to be a ranger it doesnt work for me so i envy ppl who are rangers

_Deliverance_
Nov 10, 2006, 11:50 AM
Just wait until laser cannons and grenade launchers come in. It'll likely be a whole new scenario then. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Merumeru
Nov 10, 2006, 12:32 PM
XD all I know is I love shock bullets the best, but i do love that freeze machinegun *.* getting all those hits in for a few seconds sure is nice

Banert
Nov 10, 2006, 12:42 PM
I have a question about the rates at which the status effects kick in. I tried out ranger, used a two rifles, one with shock and one with freeze, and I noticed that monsters froze more often when they were knocked into the air or down to the ground. Might have been my imagination, but it seems that the bullets do increase in effectiveness against flying (not winged, but smacked into the air) enemies. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If this is the case, all the more reason for teamwork, you could have a hunter and ranger pair assigned to disable enemies, the hunter to use rising strike (just the first hit) or the dagger PA (once again, just the first part to knock the enemy down).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Banert on 2006-11-10 09:46 ]</font>

Midicronica
Nov 10, 2006, 12:56 PM
Never once questioned the usefulness of a ranger. Mostly due to experience from PSO I know of what rangers can bring to the table in a well-formed team. Most of the time, I guarantee it's someone who has zero to no knowledge of the game who makes such a ridiculous statement about a ranger being useless.

Genobee
Nov 10, 2006, 01:24 PM
On 2006-11-10 09:56, Shadow_Moses wrote:
Never once questioned the usefulness of a ranger. Mostly due to experience from PSO I know of what rangers can bring to the table in a well-formed team. Most of the time, I guarantee it's someone who has zero to no knowledge of the game who makes such a ridiculous statement about a ranger being useless.

you do know Rangers in PSU work nothing like they did in PSO right? they do 1/8 the damage and status effects that aren't any thing speacial.

KirinDave
Nov 10, 2006, 01:34 PM
I absolutely love Rangers. As a Force, having a Ranger in the group is very noticeable. If they consistently apply status effects, it really can be a big deal. By the way, wise is the ranger that uses Fire bullets mobs with lots of HP. If you can ignite them, like I try to, you'd be amazed how much damage that burn is really doing.

More rangers please. Just make sure you let everyone tag everything!

Midicronica
Nov 10, 2006, 02:11 PM
On 2006-11-10 10:24, Genobee wrote:

On 2006-11-10 09:56, Shadow_Moses wrote:

you do know Rangers in PSU work nothing like they did in PSO right? they do 1/8 the damage and status effects that aren't any thing speacial.

I said that because when rangers are implemented into a party, they still have the ability to turn the tide while battling. You can still very much play them like the way you did in PSO, and that's by playing the role of support. As for status effects, when a ranger is using freeze shot I find it to be very effective. From what I've seen the rifles freeze shots seem to occur more often than any other weapons PA.

AngelLight
Nov 10, 2006, 02:28 PM
Be aware that there will be a ranger nerf coming down the pike for us.......there was for the JP community when their first update came out. Procs will be toned down some for rangers (and I assume for longbows as well though I'm not sure).

Silver_Wyrm
Nov 10, 2006, 02:36 PM
On 2006-11-10 00:25, Garnet_Moon wrote:

On 2006-11-10 00:21, Silver_Wyrm wrote:

The only thing I need in Groovy Fans A, as a Hunter, is a plentiful supply of Antimates and Solmizers. Those usually run out at the end of a block so I can just go back and buy more. Everything else I procure onsite.

It just takes a while if i'm alone. o.O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-10 00:26 ]</font>

every done with with a ranger using a freeze rifle though? it seems to proc ont hose robot mroe than anything else, and the aoe spamming douchebags aren't as annoyingwhen they cant move

Silver_Wyrm
Nov 10, 2006, 02:40 PM
On 2006-11-10 05:49, Carlo210 wrote:
Rifles do good damage, but (as a level 5 ranger), a rarely ever see the status effects of my 11+ bullets (of each element) go off on my +3 vullseye and +3 burzaihoh.
Rifles absolutely detriment the purpose of a ranger. What I see so far, fortegunner guns (rifles, etc) are for rangers who want to do more damage (yet fail because rangers aren't good at doing damage).

my 11+ rifles proc rate is only outdone by my shotgun, because it shoots 4 shots. also when we breach 21+ rifles will be able to freeze/burn/shock larger enemies, like the big ones in relics. Dual handguns do more dps then a rifle, but rifles procs much better, so I beg to differ. With a fortegunner, nade launcher will throw enemeis around, crowd control, rifle for top notch SE on big enemies, shotgun for mobs of little guys, and lazer cannon for the clumps, fortegunner can easily SE multiple mobs.

Guntcher gets lvl3 se at best with the crossbow, but dual handguns do more dps than a rifle (ansd only lvl2 se across the board), and I have heard crossbows do more dmg than shotgun, so I believe it works the other way around than what you stated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-11-10 11:41 ]</font>

Shadow_Wing
Nov 10, 2006, 03:28 PM
Sexy... Large mob tagging.

I know I'm a warm welcome in most A teams, between the joking on how crappy my dmg is and how useless I am sometimes, they just can't get enough of my ability to tag an entire room of shock or ice =D.

Emrald
Nov 10, 2006, 04:35 PM
I have been in a uber coop party (and loved it) with a hunter who actually told others to LET THE FORCE TAG STUFF!...I say I should make a ranger and force only party tonight...all of you can join!!!! if your a force or ranger!

entropyboy
Nov 10, 2006, 04:48 PM
there are many encounters that are made much easier by having a ranger in your group

getting tired of hunters knocking enemies into air and then across screen. kinda hard to get a tag on stuff with that.

Emrald
Nov 10, 2006, 04:53 PM
Heh....Try being a force....I think if a team is very orgenized and actually a team....EVERYONE is useful...but when hunters go to rampid FORCES AND RANGERS become useless because they can't hit anything with spells or bullets...then we complain (espically me) because your getiting your ass kicked and basicly your just letting me level up resta....

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 10, 2006, 09:33 PM
I love being a ranger. I can (sometimes) make enemies stop chasing the force or hunter that gets in trouble, tag pretty much whatever I want, stay safe when I need to while still doing damage, and do heavy damage with a shotgun at very close range. Status effects? Meh...they happen when they happen. I aint relying on those too much, though it is pretty sweet when they do happen. Especially a massive shock or bonfire from a shotgun barrage.

BioWarrior
Nov 10, 2006, 09:57 PM
On 2006-11-10 11:28, AngelLight wrote:
Be aware that there will be a ranger nerf coming down the pike for us.......there was for the JP community when their first update came out. Procs will be toned down some for rangers (and I assume for longbows as well though I'm not sure).

We're already under that nerf effect as it came out BEFORE the first update. They increased proc rate again for ranger classes only and increased PP regen and reduced PP cost, but we don't have that update yet... might only effect Figunner, Fortegunner, and Guntecher.

Guilty-Mirage
Nov 10, 2006, 10:06 PM
On 2006-11-09 21:20, shybaason wrote:
Ranger... we are NOT DD....

This is so sadly incorrect.

Rangers who don't do great damage output have crappy, ungrinded weapons and are using the wrong (and probably underlevelled) bullets. And Rangers are flat out ass rape on any boss with a weak point, which is... all of them except minibosses like Svaltus.