PDA

View Full Version : My experience with PSU so far

MonomateJunky
Nov 10, 2006, 09:00 PM
tl;dr - Please give me some tips to improve my playstyle. lol text

I've never played PSO before, but I have played more MMOs over the years than I care to admit. This is the sixth of six very long days since I started playing PSU, during which I've gotten to chapter 4 in the single player, a level 21 Newman Force, a level 12 CAST Ranger, and a level 10 Beast Hunter.

It took me a while to get used to movement in PSU, as it's far more an action game than it is an MMO (and yes I know it's not technically an MMO). The fact that turning a direction while standing still makes your character move 90 degrees annoyed me for a good while, until I finally got used to making quick U-turns to reposition myself. Strafing helps a great deal, but there are plenty of times when you just need to move quickly, and running in a tight circle is actually faster. It's not perfect, unfortunately. I found switching to a gamepad was an immense help, and buying an adapter for my old Playstation gamepad was even better-- though not as much as I'd hoped.

I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite combat type, but if I had to I'd probably go with Ranger. Dual handguns makes for a quick, frenetic playstyle, and interrupts like nobody's business. Rifles pack a great punch and are just the thing to take out fliers. Both let you aim in first person, thus negating the need for careful repositioning. Strafing tends to fill in any other holes.

Hunter is probably my third favorite, but not by far. If Ranger is fast paced, Hunter is hyperspeed. It's a very engaging role to play, as you have to be very much on your toes. I'm generally not very good at action games, so overcoming my button mashing tendency is a bit of a problem. I finally figured out that not finishing your weapon combos is very important, as that last hit is what kills your mobility. Timing those button presses while paying attention to what's going on around me is difficult, however.

Finally, Force. I started the game with this class, and I have a love-hate relationship with it. Rangers get first person aiming, Hunters get lock on, and Forces get... the shaft. Well, sort of. On the one hand, our freedom lets us target AoEs and linears more easily, but targeting overall has been a consistent pain throughout my entire career. Close enemies are harder to target, and good luck hitting those accursed Golmoros. Even the less mobile enemies like Badiras or Vahras often dodge your spells inadvertantly. I even manage to miss Koltovas when they start running around the edge of an area. This is partly due to projectile speed and partly due to aiming difficulties-- it's hard to readjust your aim quickly. In short, I've found Force to be very much hit or miss, in some maps more than others. Juggling spells can also be a pain, but I think focusing on 2-3 lines will mostly solve that.

PSU has kept me fiercely addicted for the better part of a week, and mostly because of its learning curve. Most MMOs are quickly mastered and, in my case, discarded. PSU, however, has remained challenging without being frustrating for the less action-inclined. Things are starting to level off for me, though, where I can't seem to improve-- short of grinding out more meseta and buying new weapons and armor or leveling up PAs.

Randomness
Nov 10, 2006, 09:05 PM
I'm at level 30 Newman Force and level 15 Beast Ranger, and I have to agree on the ranger stuff. Dual Handguns, Shotgun, and Rifle are all fun. As for force, I will agree that at times its nearly impossible to land a hit, but thats what ra- techs are for, since they appear on the target spot, and have a larger effect area. Also, bows make for a good backup for expecially nimble enemies. They are just fancy rifles, really.

MonomateJunky
Nov 10, 2006, 09:57 PM
As for force, I will agree that at times its nearly impossible to land a hit, but thats what ra- techs are for [ . . . ]. Also, bows make for a good backup for expecially nimble enemies. They are just fancy rifles, really.
Sometimes I give up and use the Ra spells, but it's a waste of PP if you're not hitting 2 or more; I've tried relying on them heavily and it really sucks down the photons. I'll take your advice about the bows, though. I tend to shy away from them because they lack the same oomph that technics have, but I think they make up for it with a much quicker attack rate. I have two, linked to an ice bullet, and they can run out rather quickly if I actually sit there and damage with them instead of just tagging.

As for shotguns... I've been tempted to try them out, but they're expensive (no player shops sell them) and selection is so limited. I wouldn't mind the low attack power, but the low attack accuracy seems like it would really hurt them. You really have to have good reflexes to catch enemies clustered up, and I have a hard time doing with my Force when my AoE spell is just a slight movement of the thumb away from my normal attack. I can't imagine trying to switch weapons and nail a group of mobs before they spread out, nor could I see attacking single targets with my shotgun just waiting for some to cluster themselves for me. Of course, I've heard the shotty is good for multi-target bosses...

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 10, 2006, 10:10 PM
I couldn't give much advice on this matter, but I can say that shotguns aren't only for clusters of enemies. Used at close range, you can have all the bullets hit the same enemy. But shotguns can't be aimed in first-person so you'll need to be good at positioning yourself for each shot. Add to this a second or two if immobility after each shot and you got a somewhat tricky weapon to use. Well, somewhat tricky until you've mastered it anyway...