PDA

View Full Version : Defense or Evasion

Cry0
Nov 11, 2006, 01:16 PM
ranger/force, eva. hunters, def. simple as that.

Katrina
Nov 11, 2006, 01:16 PM
I was wondering if, given a choice between the 2, you would focus on evasion or defense, and why.

Evasion seems to interrupt PA's at times, with the trade off being 0 dmg taken with a successful evade.

Defense seems to lower the dmg nicely at higher numbers, doesn't affect PA's, at the cost of enemies connecting more often.

I'm a Hum Fem going Wartecher. I'm not sure weather to go with the gender advantage and go evasion, focus more on Def, or balance the 2.

(I'm curious if anyone (JP included) focused strictly on one or the other, and what advantages and drawbacks they have seen)

any and all feedback is much appreciated, ty http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Zakuro
Nov 11, 2006, 01:49 PM
On 2006-11-11 10:16, Cry0 wrote:
ranger/force, eva. hunters, def. simple as that.

Actually, I disagree that it is as simple as that. For Hunters and possibly Rangers I do agree, but Forces may be better off focusing on def later on. If you can get it high enough to prevent being 1 by some of the stronger enemies it'll be far more useful than occassionally taking no damage. While eva can help prevent you from being 1 shotted, it just takes one lucky hit to do it, and chances are the enemies that can do it likely have a good chance to hit too.

Once Deband and/or Jellen are in game it may be different though as they can reduce the damage you take, but def still may be important as the level cap goes up and we get stronger enemies.

I'm not sure on how Wartecher hp/base def is though so it may not be as bad for them as Fortetechers.

Zorafim
Nov 11, 2006, 02:49 PM
Ugg, I hate evading an attack just as soon as I use the last of my PP...

Itsuki
Nov 11, 2006, 03:01 PM
The problem later on also ends up being monsters that hit multiple times and deal so much that no amount of DEF will save you.

A good example is the problem we're having with Bill the Bears in Bruce's mission. If a Bill the Bear leader connects with every hit of its spin, it can 1-shot a level 60 cast hunter with def equipment. If you want to have a chance to survive, you want to go EVA.

There aren't too too many monsters that can truly 1-hit kill a decent leveled fortecher on non-crit hits. The general idea is just to not get hit by them.

I'm really going to have to agree that forces should go EVA.

McLaughlin
Nov 11, 2006, 03:04 PM
I have a Mega/Wall on my Cast Hunter (level 44). It adds 14 EVA and 14 EVA. It cost me 18,000 meseta.

Gamemako
Nov 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
Also depends on your weapon. EVA with a sword bites hard, but if you're using twin daggers which take practically no time to begin the attack, EVA can be quite effective. It also depends on your race, with EVA being more useful to newmans who have low health and can't afford to get smacked around as well as beasts.

Jasam
Nov 11, 2006, 05:36 PM
My advice would be to boost your strength.
I say this, since I have *heard* that the boosts are a % based boost, as a result, you will be able to go much further with your higher stat...

But then again, dependiong on your class and play style, you might seriously need one or the other...

Realmz
Nov 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
On 2006-11-11 14:36, Jasam wrote:
My advice would be to boost your strength.
I say this, since I have *heard* that the boosts are a % based boost, as a result, you will be able to go much further with your higher stat...

But then again, dependiong on your class and play style, you might seriously need one or the other...

upping your ATP has no bearing on upping your Der or evasion, they're two different slots...

Nani-chan
Nov 11, 2006, 05:43 PM
I think he meant def for casts since female casts have the best def in game, right? This was something I was thinking of too.

Schubalts
Nov 11, 2006, 05:45 PM
I think females have lower defense than males for every race in PSU.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 11, 2006, 05:45 PM
Defense.

I'm going to get hit so i'd rather take all incoming hits against me the best way I can. Also, don't count on low DFP but high EVP to save you in a boss fight. You're going to get hit by something, and it's going to hurt if it doesn't kill you.

Evasion is my bane right now. Even with my current armor I evade entirely too often... so much so that i've wasted a ton of PA points because of it. I hate evasion. ; ;

On 2006-11-11 14:45, Schubalts wrote:
I think females have lower defense than males for every race in PSU.

Males: Higher Melee stats
Females: Higher Support stats

I would call it sexist but it's not exactly game breaking as far as the differences go, so I won't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-11 14:47 ]</font>

Callous
Nov 11, 2006, 05:49 PM
Short version: Evading makes me feel cool, defending makes me more effective.

Mystil
Nov 11, 2006, 05:51 PM
I have no choice but to go for evasion. It's 211 right now with armor. I evade like nuts and many PA's get interrupted. I have 69DFP at lvl34, there is no amount of slots/armor I can get my hands on that will make that decent. So I rely on evade and well "manual" evasion.

ZiG
Nov 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
I'm a Ranger at heart, so I stick with Evasion. I won't be using many PAs anyway. I guess it just depends on your style of play. No one can tell you what's better for you.

Remedy
Nov 11, 2006, 06:22 PM
Force here, and I love my Evasion. It's 400+ with my Gi-senba and my Mega/Wall, and once I get the unit from Moatoob with, what is it, 66 Evasion? Yeah, that'll be nice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif