PDA

View Full Version : So what do you think?

Azure247
Nov 11, 2006, 06:05 PM
I got to lvl 38 Force in PSU and its gotten really boring. No rare drops, poor area design, and the music and bosses are subpar.

For those who just started PSU and never experienced PSO just watch this clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfj5UY1aTGg&mode=related&search= and tell me what you think.

I dont understand SEGA sometmes, they seem to always make faulty mistakes just like not putting CD-Keys in PSU. SEGA had an awesome game going for them and they decided to change it so it doesnt even feel like a Phantasy Star game anymore. Just my thoughts. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Weak
Nov 11, 2006, 06:07 PM
You didn't think this through, did you?

Garnet_Moon
Nov 11, 2006, 06:07 PM
You people really, really need to have some damned patience and wait for Content Updates. Some of you whiners weren't there when PSO first came out on the Dreamcast, but instead joined up when everything was pretty much in place.

Rizen
Nov 11, 2006, 06:08 PM
I say be patient. PSU has alot of potential thats waiting to be unlocked. And trust me, the beginning of every MMO starts like this. Even PSOBB started like this. How do I know? I beta and after tested the JP version when it first came out and it lacked alot of content.

ZiG
Nov 11, 2006, 06:08 PM
"Mankind ill needs [another PSU vs PSO thead] such as [this one.]"
- Alucard

BloodDragoon
Nov 11, 2006, 06:09 PM
On 2006-11-11 15:07, Garnet_Moon wrote:
You people really, really need to have some damned patience and wait for Content Updates. Some of you whiners weren't there when PSO first came out on the Dreamcast, but instead joined up when everything was pretty much in place.

My sentiments exactly.

Nani-chan
Nov 11, 2006, 06:13 PM
When pso first came out it was just episode 1 with just 9 character choices.. it took quite a while before ep 1&2 came out.

We know the content we are getting, if people are unhappy then just quit and come back in december/january.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 11, 2006, 06:14 PM
On 2006-11-11 15:13, Nani-chan wrote:
When pso first came out it was just episode 1 with just 9 character choices.. it took quite a while before ep 1&2 came out.

We know the content we are getting, if people are unhappy then just quit and come back in december/january.

Or just quit and never come back. Odds are if you're frustrated now, you're still going to be frustrated in January.

BloodDragoon
Nov 11, 2006, 06:17 PM
And if you unhappy people do quit remember to let me have all your stuff. I can always use more PM food. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Callous
Nov 11, 2006, 06:18 PM
I do agree about the bosses and much of the music, but we know there's at least one add-on disk coming on top of all the stuff that's going to get unlocked on the current disk. I believe PSU will eventually have something for everyone. That's my hope, anyway.

Cerulean
Nov 13, 2006, 02:38 PM
PSU is boring.

The areas are incredibly linear and lack the creativity (for the most part) of the better PSO levels.

The music in PSU is lackluster, at best, and doesn't hold a candle to the music in PSO.

The online mode has a soulless, almost Korean-style-mmo grind, feel to it. Everything is about grind after level 20. And since the levels are already so fast and linear and monotonous, the feeling is compounded.

I was prepared to enjoy and play this game for a year+, maybe more. After all, I played and enjoyed PSO for thousands of hours. However, barely 50 hours into this game (which, for sure, is giving a game 'enough' time to judge) I'm bored silly.

For me, PSU has killed my PSO addiction, through the sheer mundanity of the gameplay. It's a sad retread of PSO with mmo-like-grinding and soulless activities to occupy our time.

Being less harsh, it simply lacks 'it' -- whatever 'it' was that PSO had that made it so special to so many of us for so long.

And, yes, I miss spinning red boxes, raising a mag that actually floats along behind me, levels that actually take a while to fully explore and clear, and boss fights that actually feel dramatic. And I really miss the music.

The other thing I miss, and this is NOT PSU's fault, is something PSU can never have: the feeling that we're playing something truly special.

PSO came first and when it came out, in late January 2001, it really was a special little title, the grand swan song of the Dreamcast. There was something almost romantic about PSO's to-the-metal excellence.

PSU is just.. meh.

Can't believe I'm writing this, I almost feel like a 'traitor' but, sadly, I feel like it is the PSU team that has betrayed us.

Also, while I was initially of the 'be patient' camp, this is ridiculous. The online content right now is so spartan as to be a joke. Doesn't help that I have a 3.0 ghz machine with 2gb ram and a 512mb ATI 1300 card and I have to run this game at an archaic, NON anti-aliased 800 x 600 just to get 60 fps. On WoW I get 60 fps with all settings maxed at 1280 x 1024. Playing PSO at 800 x 600 is like taking an unwanted trip back to 1998.

Honestly, this game must be a bad joke. Or, better: a nightmare. I'm going to wake up and this never happened, it was just a bad dream, PSU is actually great, it's coming out tomorrow, and what I thought we'd been playing the last three weeks was just an elaborate joke by ST.

Haha, okay guys, great joke, lets have the real PSU now.

Guys?

HiKeRI
Nov 13, 2006, 02:59 PM
o.O

Phaze37
Nov 13, 2006, 03:10 PM
PSU doesn't have damage cancel, therefor it's superior. Damage cancel was so fucking irritating.

Otaku
Nov 13, 2006, 03:13 PM
i dont even own it but from what ive seen its alot better than pso

Mwabwetumba
Nov 13, 2006, 03:14 PM
The action is SO much faster and violent that in PSO.. and action is the thing that keeps me in games.. sure, features such as my room and PM can be a fun thing to taddle with every now and then.. but if I cant experience some fast-paced close action, then I just cant stay interested..

DoubleJG
Nov 13, 2006, 03:15 PM
On 2006-11-11 15:08, Rizen wrote:
I say be patient. PSU has alot of potential thats waiting to be unlocked. And trust me, the beginning of every MMO starts like this. Even PSOBB started like this. How do I know? I beta and after tested the JP version when it first came out and it lacked alot of content.

I didn't beta test, but this is very true. PSOBB, now a content packed online game with many items and quests to use to your advantage, did not appear until a good long ways into the game. Just like PSOBB lacking Ultimate at first, PSU lacks S rank. Just like PSOBB lacked Ep4, PSU lacks Moatoob. It all takes time. Almost every dedicated fan on here can easily say that within months from now, people will not be complaining like this anymore. As for which is better, I enjoyed playing PSO for many many many hours. They're two different games in my eyes, and I don't like stating which I think is better.

Reeses
Nov 13, 2006, 03:18 PM
On 2006-11-13 11:38, Cerulean wrote:
PSU is boring.

The areas are incredibly linear and lack the creativity (for the most part) of the better PSO levels.

The music in PSU is lackluster, at best, and doesn't hold a candle to the music in PSO.

The online mode has a soulless, almost Korean-style-mmo grind, feel to it. Everything is about grind after level 20. And since the levels are already so fast and linear and monotonous, the feeling is compounded.

I was prepared to enjoy and play this game for a year+, maybe more. After all, I played and enjoyed PSO for thousands of hours. However, barely 50 hours into this game (which, for sure, is giving a game 'enough' time to judge) I'm bored silly.

For me, PSU has killed my PSO addiction, through the sheer mundanity of the gameplay. It's a sad retread of PSO with mmo-like-grinding and soulless activities to occupy our time.

Being less harsh, it simply lacks 'it' -- whatever 'it' was that PSO had that made it so special to so many of us for so long.

And, yes, I miss spinning red boxes, raising a mag that actually floats along behind me, levels that actually take a while to fully explore and clear, and boss fights that actually feel dramatic. And I really miss the music.

The other thing I miss, and this is NOT PSU's fault, is something PSU can never have: the feeling that we're playing something truly special.

PSO came first and when it came out, in late January 2001, it really was a special little title, the grand swan song of the Dreamcast. There was something almost romantic about PSO's to-the-metal excellence.

PSU is just.. meh.

Can't believe I'm writing this, I almost feel like a 'traitor' but, sadly, I feel like it is the PSU team that has betrayed us.

Also, while I was initially of the 'be patient' camp, this is ridiculous. The online content right now is so spartan as to be a joke. Doesn't help that I have a 3.0 ghz machine with 2gb ram and a 512mb ATI 1300 card and I have to run this game at an archaic, NON anti-aliased 800 x 600 just to get 60 fps. On WoW I get 60 fps with all settings maxed at 1280 x 1024. Playing PSO at 800 x 600 is like taking an unwanted trip back to 1998.

Honestly, this game must be a bad joke. Or, better: a nightmare. I'm going to wake up and this never happened, it was just a bad dream, PSU is actually great, it's coming out tomorrow, and what I thought we'd been playing the last three weeks was just an elaborate joke by ST.

Guys?

I hear you. The only thing that keeps me to this game is the knowledge that its only going to get better. I LOVED PSO. The entire game was great, but now its PSU's time to shine. After all, like mentioned above, this is only the beginning. There is SOO MUCH more content thats coming its going to be crazy. Before anyone decides to quit, i would atleast wait until ONE of the 2 content updates comes out. I'm sure that it will keep us in our seats for a good while.

P.S. You never know, maybe better music, harder maps, and w/e else is just around the corner.

Ogni-XR21
Nov 13, 2006, 03:19 PM
What Cerulean said...

I'm 50 hrs in and can't bring myself to play, instead i browse forums. I would never have imagined...

I tried making a new char, but they all look the same, and cast just look silly. Well I won't quit yet, but I don't see me playing this in 2 or 3 years.

Maybe I'll go back to BB...

Mwabwetumba
Nov 13, 2006, 03:31 PM
Well ,atleast TrickTrack (the one from spaceship) will return as a BGM^^

KiteWolfwood
Nov 13, 2006, 03:33 PM
You are missing a third option in that poll buddy; Undecided because Sega hasn't shown us everything they have planned for PSU yet.

Xanthias64
Nov 13, 2006, 03:47 PM
Have you tried playing story mode at all yet? If so, and you still feel PSU sucks, I'm not sure how to respond. If not, and you state that you're "bored" with PSU, Get offline and try out the story! The entire game moves much quicker, including levels, weapon/item availability, and content (obviously).

I can't wait until the Linear Line missions for Parum come out. I can understand how you might feel about the current set of music online, but IMO, you should at least wait until Parum's LL missions are available. Then tell me you don't like listening to techno as you beat the shit out of the Endrum Collective.

Dunsanyu
Nov 13, 2006, 04:08 PM
WARNING!! Long post ahead! ><

Well I guess Im in the "I wish it was PSO" group. I think its a simple matter of changing expecations.

The people who cant get the same feeling they got from PSO. I completely understand what you mean. (This does not apply to all of them of course) If they are like me, it was my first online game. So naturally it was amazing regardless of its obvious simplicity. I still think its one of the best I played but after quitting the DC and GC versions and playing all the other online games out there, you simply come to expect more as your personal interest changes. As well as having a hard time rembering its not anything more then a simple hack and slash for you and some friends like Diablo. Except it has a great community that made the simple act, so much damn fun!

So since some of PSU reminds me of PSO and its not the "revolutionary" new "PSO" experience I wanted. Not to say it isnt a good game for those who like it. I simply decided to let it go for now and play things I enjoy. Sure its not what some of us were hoping for, but in the mean time play the old PSO games if you miss them. Hell I bought PSO EP 3 since I havent tried it yet. Or the old PS titles even!

For those who say "Wait for new content!!" and what not. It almost seems like your unhappy too and desperately wanting to rationalize buying PSU. (I know I did at first) Dont get me wrong, if you want to wait, go for it! I hope it becomes what you want.

Bottom line, its like the Final Fantasy series. Im a fan of FF 6 (3 in the US) and I could care less for any of the last 3 titles. So I play the ones I like and wait for another good one to hopefully come out.

There is valid points on both sides of the issue. I wish everyone to get out of the game what they want in the new content. So whether is PSO or PSU, put it in, turn it on, and HACK away!....or slash if you prefer

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dunsanyu on 2006-11-13 13:09 ]</font>

DesDes
Nov 13, 2006, 06:10 PM
On 2006-11-13 12:47, Xanthias64 wrote:
I can't wait until the Linear Line missions for Parum come out. I can understand how you might feel about the current set of music online, but IMO, you should at least wait until Parum's LL missions are available. Then tell me you don't like listening to techno as you beat the shit out of the Endrum Collective.

Agreed. Best music so far. Just sat around in story mode listening to it. Needs more upbeat music like the floater game.

Razorback
Nov 13, 2006, 06:14 PM
You could always just get a life for a little bit, and play causaly, cause you got to have at least 60+ hours, and the game has only been out for 3 weeks. So what im saying take a break, play every on and then, wait for the updates and then play some more

Genobee
Nov 13, 2006, 06:28 PM
There was no one more excited about this game then I was, the second I heard of it, I was ubcessed... I thought I would love this because it would jsut be PSO with new classes, races and graphics... but it's realy not... I realy don't have that spark that PSO had.

PJesus
Nov 13, 2006, 06:30 PM
PSU is boring.

PSU is just.. meh.

Guys?

I couldn't agree more with this post... This is my exact feelings. I almost with PSU was just another expansion to PSO, after playing PSU for a while... and yes, I have played PSO since Dreamcast V1 (online) through PSOBB. I still feel like Dreamcast V1 was a better game than PSU, and that's terrible.

Weak
Nov 13, 2006, 06:32 PM
If PSO never existed, and this was the first online Phantasy Star game, then everyone would say this game is awesome.

Garroway
Nov 13, 2006, 06:34 PM
That "spark" that you keep referring to is Nostalgia.

PJesus
Nov 13, 2006, 06:40 PM
On 2006-11-13 15:34, Garroway wrote:
That "spark" that you keep referring to is Nostalgia.

I thought it was more of innovation, actually. PSO was a new type of game after all, being an online console game...

Garroway
Nov 13, 2006, 06:46 PM
Nope; it's just Nostalgia.

Scallop
Nov 13, 2006, 06:47 PM
I stopped playing game and so should every body. The game is boring right now, zipped throught story mode. Just take a break until the updates come along. Lacks alot of content (really half assed) so this game is handicapped to a wheelchair. Next step would be one leg broke.

CupOfCoffee
Nov 13, 2006, 06:54 PM
Mmm...

Well, I don't like PSU either. It's no PSO, and I actually reinstalled Blue Burst a few days after buying PSU because it made me realize how much I missed the real thing.

However, this is the first post I've made on the subject and I think it'll be the last one, too. The last thing the community needs is another person violently complaining about how bad PSU is. It's not what most of us thought it would be (actually, it's pretty much what I expected--an unwanted "update" that would do away with what made PSO a classic in the first place, but that's another topic entirely), but as someone before me posted, why not just boot up old PSO? Nostalgia dies hard, so there's no reason you can't enjoy another run through Mountain or Forest with a few friends. That's what I'll be doing. Thanks PSU, but you're not for me. I hope everyone else manages to have more fun with you.

The end.

AppieDPC
Nov 13, 2006, 06:56 PM

Hmmm, I was there when PSO first came out on the Dreamcast and I'm trying real hard to think of big crap that was locked on Version 1. I can't think of much besides a few weapons that were banned for a X amount of time. Vhard was open, so were all playable levels and the level cap was 100 from the start. Ver.2 opened up C-Mode in portions and Battle Mode in portions, but other than that: everything open including lv200 from the start, few weapons banned online like in Ver.1. So uh "joined when everything was pretty much in place?" Everything was pretty much in place since the start of the Dreamcast versions (same goes for the GC).

Of course each version got quests over time, but I don't consider those a real big part of PSO at least not as big as locked off levels/planets or level caps and the like of what is happening in PSU.

For the record I'm being patient and waiting for updates. Also one of the reasons why I didn't bother to import it for the 360. Just quoted you on the stuff because of the Dreamcast version being "locked" according to you.

I'll just chill offline when it gets released in Europe and wait for Sega to unlock the game to a decent amount =)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-11-13 16:07 ]</font>

Kano-Okami
Nov 13, 2006, 07:01 PM
On 2006-11-13 15:56, AppieDPC wrote:

Hmmm, I was there when PSO first came out on the Dreamcast and I'm trying real hard to think of big crap that was locked on Version 1. I can't think of much besides a few weapons that were banned for a X amount of time. Vhard was open, so were all playable levels and the level cap was 100 from the start. Ver.2 opened up C-Mode in portions and Battle Mode in portions, but other than that: everything open including lv200 from the start, few weapons banned online like in Ver.1. So uh "joined when everything was pretty much in place?" Everything was pretty much in place since the start of the Dreamcast versions (same goes for the GC).

Of course each version got quests over time, but I don't consider those a real big part of PSO at least not as big as locked off levels/planets or level caps and the like of what is happening in PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-11-13 15:57 ]</font>
Exactly.
So true, I could kiss you.
The game simply falls short of its expectations. Even from an offline perspective. I know players have been talking about how they feel jipped with the locked content, but for the offline players, I want to ask..Where are the Axes? In offline, why don't the extra-mode characters have a community box or no reform tickets?
In story mode, how come we never get an actual reason why Magashi was chosen/takenover/revived/empowered by SEED to begin with?
In PSO, everything you could do offline, you could do online, albeit quest.
The story was told through info disc/orbs, which could be easily understood & pieced together, however on PSU online, if you haven't played storymode, your absolutely lost about whats going on.
I know this game isn't PSO but it could have atleast lived up to its predecessor

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2006-11-13 16:18 ]</font>

AppieDPC
Nov 13, 2006, 07:09 PM
Exactly.
So true, I could kiss you.
Heh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-11-13 16:33 ]</font>

Zorafim
Nov 13, 2006, 07:24 PM
On 2006-11-13 12:31, Mwabwetumba wrote:

If you're lying, I'll harm you some way despite the fact that I have no way of physically touching you.
Link nao.

Thrash777
Nov 13, 2006, 07:42 PM
PSU>>>PSO

PSU just doesn't have a legendary status yet...

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 13, 2006, 07:54 PM
On 2006-11-13 12:10, Phaze37 wrote:
PSU doesn't have damage cancel, therefor it's superior. Damage cancel was so fucking irritating.

The topic should have ended here, really.

Also: PSU's music is fine. I fail to see what was so much better about PSO's music. Why is everyone in love with TrickTrack so much? The only part of TrickTrack that really impresses me is the remixed PSII battle music. The Ep. 4 music was actually kind of nice, but apart from that, I see no reason to call PSO's music superior.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ffuzzy-Logik on 2006-11-13 17:08 ]</font>

Weak
Nov 13, 2006, 08:22 PM
PSU is boring.

PSU is just.. meh.

Guys?

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=926988&topic=31734666

http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?t=7786&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=175

What are you trying to prove?

Pengfishh
Nov 13, 2006, 08:32 PM
But when PSO first came out with v1, we had four levels. Better yet, I'll give you a leg up: we had 10 levels. Forest 1 and 2, Cave 1-3, Mine 1 and 2, and Ruins 1-3. There were a minor number of optional quests, your Mop Up Operations and Endless Nightmares, these 10 levels, three difficulties, and a very finite number of rares, many of which could only be found by grinding the shit out of the levels (and never the quests as rares did not ever drop in quests).

PSO was new and beautiful but very much lacked content. I know from experience that the 120 hours I've already put into PSU would have gotten me a pair of level 100 characters and at least something fancy and rare, so the defense that PSO did not have locked content is moot because, well, it didn't have very much to give initially.

Despite that, I played version 1 nearly every day for its first year and several months of v2 before my Dreamcast finally gave in and I decided I probably should see how the sun was doing) and never got tired or bored of what I had to work with. I played a level 100 FOnewm for months despite the hate I recieved for being a supposed hacker.

Then came along Episode 1 and 2 which I instantly was hooked to and gave the sun some deuces. Unfortunately I couldn't get online for a pair of years but when I did I had a grand old time and really didn't find myself playing Episode 2 as much as I did Episode 1, my nostalgic past and almost complete familiarity taking over.

Then the news of PSU. That first trailer. My goodness, new PSO! Years go by with little until we get... some! Impatience doesn't cover my feeling. Longing would do it. Intense desire, maybe. What I expected was PSO flavor in a fancier package. What I got? PSO flavor in a fancier package.

PSU is a graphical and system update of PSO. The combat is similar but much less stiff, the art style is mostly the same, environments are more grand in scale and certainly much prettier (from what I've seen, which is most of the online stuff and a few chapters of the offline, but Mizuraki and Forested Islands areas are fantastic), characters have more customization, there is more to do (synthesis is a beautiful thing -- it's nice to be able to create a useful weapon, rather than happening upon one), more to see, and the game is just MORE than PSO without NOT BEING PSO. Because it is. PSU is PSO2.

I am fine with this. I am more than fine with this. This game is great and I love it because it is PSO. In time, it will have more than we started with, certainly, and for that I am excited and I hope that the naysayers/disappointed fans of PSO will either see through the rough start or just pass it off silently and continue to play PSO just fine.

Or shut the fuck up and quit being bitches. It's still a godamned video game and therefore lacks much credible importance outside the individual. I don't REALLY care that someone doesn't like the game and a lot of folks seem to be using that in an openly aggressive manner to hurt people's feelings. I like it, sorry you don't, but fuck you for making me hear how much it hurts your feelings.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 13, 2006, 08:49 PM
PSU has manual camera control, first-person aiming, and no more lame-ass auto-targeting. That by itself makes it superior to PSO. But then add in the smoother movement and strafing...the lock-on I could have done without though.

Not only that, PSO's music was really boring (or simply unexceptional) aside from the ruins, De Rol Le, Temple and the PSII remix part of that spaceship theme (which were all awesome, I must say). At least PSU's unexceptional music isn't as sleep-inducing as PSO's clunky combat.

Hell, I've spent more time and had more fun doing the same stuff on Parum and Neudaiz over and over over the past month than every level in PSO 1 DC and 1&2 GC put together over the past 3-5 years.

AppieDPC
Nov 13, 2006, 08:58 PM
But when PSO first came out with v1, we had four levels. Better yet, I'll give you a leg up: we had 10 levels. Forest 1 and 2, Cave 1-3, Mine 1 and 2, and Ruins 1-3. There were a minor number of optional quests, your Mop Up Operations and Endless Nightmares, these 10 levels, three difficulties, and a very finite number of rares, many of which could only be found by grinding the shit out of the levels (and never the quests as rares did not ever drop in quests).

PSO was new and beautiful but very much lacked content. I know from experience that the 120 hours I've already put into PSU would have gotten me a pair of level 100 characters and at least something fancy and rare, so the defense that PSO did not have locked content is moot because, well, it didn't have very much to give initially.

Does it really matter if Ver.1 has less content when compared to Ver.2, PSO GC, BB or PSU? Not really. The point is that the majority of the disc is open for use from the start (same going for Ver.2 and GC). I don't think the same can be said for PSU. Just because it has more content doesn't give Sega the right to basically send us back to the Ver.1 days with a small amount of content while there is so much more on the disc.

Note: I got no problem with locked content as long as it's a decent portion (like 20-30% of the game locked), but PSU looks very locked up for online play, beyond a decent portion imo. So I'll wait till Sega gets its updates going.

One exception for me personally: expansions, I don't care if those are locked for over 50% at the start since you at least got the normal full game to play with and expansions usually cost half of a full game. I just hate it when they pull this crap on the main game to such an extend.

Aegias
Nov 13, 2006, 09:09 PM
I think both games are good in their own way, I prefer PSU's battle system to PSO's even though I was sorta sad they took out the timed button mashing and replaced it with good ole normal button mashing. Im willing to wait on the "locked" content, it sucks, but waiting is the only way to do anything about it. The people who dont think its a problem obviously haven't played other mmos that release with end game content. And people who complain about content not being ready don't understand Sega is operating as a "newbie" mmo developer. Its just something you gotta deal with suck it up, its worth playing everey mmo has a lackluster grind, this one is less interesting, but theres been worse. 10 bucks aint killing you and if it is, go play something else.

Mio
Nov 13, 2006, 09:44 PM

Agree

Garnet_Moon
Nov 13, 2006, 09:50 PM
WoW > Both

tbh

Wait, what? Uh oh. *looks around* Well, uh, y'know, like,... uh... lookit the time. I gotta go... <_< *backs away slowly*

jimmer411
Nov 13, 2006, 09:53 PM
I loved PSO. Played DC offline for 150 levels on 1 character, and another 100 levels on 2 other chars. Then got 132 online on GC before being FSOD...

Its really hard to compare PSU to PSO at this time because the lack of content in PSU so far, ask this question in 6 months and you would get a more accurate answer.

But as it stands, Only thing that I would have really liked at launch was all 3 planets unlocked as well as all weapons unlocked, even if it was just upto B rank.

Edg3
Nov 13, 2006, 09:54 PM
I agree that the music was way better in PSO

Realmz
Nov 13, 2006, 09:57 PM
i don't know about the rest of you but i got the same feeling as i did when i first started PSO so many years ago. After listening to the opening two or three times, i went into network mode, started it up, and explored everything i could, found that i hated goushins, wowed never to visit newdais again (lasted all of two days) was aweed by my first dragon fight (and slightly scared i'll admit) Ran around like a chicken with my head cut off going into the temple and fighting it's boss.

once i got a lot of the very first wows out of the way (and there were many for me) i got to the business of my room. I had to make a new room for myself, and right after that i found what i was looking for. With my first Deragan tail in hand i knew this would be my center peice, i needed to get more, but how? my attention turned to my little PM, i started upping her, and now she's a full grown loli (that doesn't make sense) aiding me in my quest.

when i get bored of the grind for shop items or de regan tails i head over to newdaiz for some forest nostalgia

Capril
Nov 13, 2006, 11:26 PM
Yes, PSU is sparse for levels and atmosphere. Yes, I am willing to wait for the updates and enjoy the labours that be untill then. My personal belief about what is making PSU more of a grind than PSO, is the synthesis system. In PSO there was a perpetual anticipation of obtaining a rare drop or a special weapon. Now we are collecting ingredients to perhaps make..someday...something nice. (ugh). I would not blame Synthesis for turning motivated runs into zombied grinds, had it not replaced the 'rare' weapons finds. That, to me, is one of the defining motivators in leveling, the ability to wield those fantastic and surprising weapons. I know this thread is about content, but I feel that the synthesis is what contributes to the current content becoming less appealing. I'll wait for the updates. I do enjoy PSU. I know there will be great things ahead if I wait. I may even eat these words once synthesis exposes itself to being worthwhile over simply finding things.

Untill then folks, I blame synthesis.

Schubalts
Nov 13, 2006, 11:44 PM
Eh, you can still find 'rare' weapons. You just need to do B, A, or S-rank to have a noticable chance at finding them. Someone found a Kubara bow in the Grove of Fanatics, and posted a screenshot around here somewhere.

Mwabwetumba
Nov 14, 2006, 12:37 AM
On 2006-11-13 16:24, Zorafim wrote:

On 2006-11-13 12:31, Mwabwetumba wrote:

If you're lying, I'll harm you some way despite the fact that I have no way of physically touching you.
Link nao.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=126473&forum=22&10 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Hustler_One
Nov 14, 2006, 12:48 AM
There isent an option entitled "They are both diffrent games", so I guess I wont be voteing.

PSU is fun, PSO is fun, are they the same? No. Is PSO better? Maybe, maybe not. But perhaps you should practice some PATIENCE, like the other 50 billion people here have said 50 billion times.

=/

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

AlphaMinotaux
Nov 14, 2006, 01:04 AM
On 2006-11-11 15:05, Azure247 wrote:
I got to lvl 38 Force in PSU and its gotten really boring. No rare drops, poor area design, and the music and bosses are subpar.

For those who just started PSU and never experienced PSO just watch this clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfj5UY1aTGg&mode=related&search= and tell me what you think.

I dont understand SEGA sometmes, they seem to always make faulty mistakes just like not putting CD-Keys in PSU. SEGA had an awesome game going for them and they decided to change it so it doesnt even feel like a Phantasy Star game anymore. Just my thoughts. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Perfect example of Overhype for a game.

AppieDPC
Nov 14, 2006, 11:03 AM
On 2006-11-13 18:09, Aegias wrote:
And people who complain about content not being ready don't understand Sega is operating as a "newbie" mmo developer. Its just something you gotta deal with suck it up
Why should I or anybody else suck it up? I can simply refuse to pay the online fee till ST gets its shit together. And with alot of other good games around the corner this christmas I won't be exactly bored either.

ST is in no position to show such newbie-ness, unless they learned nothing from their older PSO's and didn't notice the great games being released (and consoles, Wii go! =D) in the near future. Consumers might use their money for other games/consoles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-11-14 08:04 ]</font>

Cerulean
Nov 14, 2006, 02:31 PM
I'm gonna try and have a better attitude and stick it through until the next big update.

There ARE a lot of things I like about PSU. Maybe I've been more guilty then I like to admit (repeating Parum/SW too much and neglecting Neudaiz).

I have to admit, much like PSO back in the day, just a few days away from PSU and I miss it fiercely.

That has to count for something!

JaiBlue
Nov 14, 2006, 02:50 PM
I'm a person with a high tolerence for games, I don't nick pick and b*tch about things in the game that dosen't fit my fancy, but I will admit there are some things that do annoy me but never enough to make me think less of psu.

Wheatpenny
Nov 14, 2006, 02:55 PM
Ok..look PSU has its ups and downs..
UP-------------
No BSOD or FSOD.
Photon Arts.
Cut in Chat
Our Rooms
Changing clothes
Advance Class

DOWN----------
Not all stuff is released yet.
Balance in difficulty between Nudaiz and Parum
No Moatab.

Rome wasn't built in a day..2 updates coming in soon.If you are tired of grinding.use the time wisely to catch up on the plethora of other gaming goodness that is poping in stores for the holliday season.Check back in once the update(s) are out.

BydoEmpire
Nov 14, 2006, 02:56 PM
I bought PSO the day it came out on the DC (and GC). It had a TON of different quests and random dungeons to keep things fresh, fun and interesting while playing - from the day it shipped. Same on the GC. The "be patient" argument is not valid, in my opinion. First, it's not an MMO with a huge world to explore (and I don't want it to be). Second, I bought the game, I want to have the available quests ready to play (even the ads say "play a HUGE VARIETY of quests with up to 6 players)... or at least more than 2-3 per planet, especially when they're all exactly the same. I'm paying my $10/month to play online and have my character hosted there, not unlock stuff that's on the disc. I can be patient for new "additional" quests and items to be released, I shouldn't have to be patient for Sega to unlock more than the 2-3 quests per planet, or to get some decent technics. I've enjoyed the 40 hours or so I've put into PSU online, but I'm already losing enthusiasm for playing the same quests over and over and over. Don't get me wrong, the core game is great fun, and I like the gameplay changes, but the lack of things to do makes PSU inferior to PSO, imho. There are so many games to play right now, if Sega wanted to keep me into PSU, it should have given me more to do. As it stands now, I'll probably quit offline, finish up the story mode, and move on to otehr games. Just my 2c.

[Edit] - another thought about the "be patient" argument. I don't want to come off as too negative, because like I said, I enjoy the game. But why *should* I be patient? I'm paying $10 a month NOW, and $50 for the game, I expect to be have some content now. Otherwise (which many people will probably do) I'll just stop paying and play offline. I can understand the argument of "take some time off and come back to the game later." But it was Sega's job to entertain me for my $50 + $10/month, not my job to be patient and wait for Sega to unlock things, all the while still paying $10/month to run through the same three dungeons over and over. There are too many other games out there for me to be patient and wait for content.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BydoEmpire on 2006-11-14 12:13 ]</font>

Cerulean
Nov 14, 2006, 03:01 PM
Good post Wheatpenny. You are very right about Rome not being built in a day. I remember when WoW launched. Yikes! That was a real mess. Servers were crashing. There were horrific lag-spikes. Loot bugs. Random rollbacks. (I can remember one time I logged on to find I still had my pet but my hunter had 'forgotten' the skill for feeding her pet!). It was pretty bad at first. Needless to say, things worked out in the end.

I'm gonna try to be more patient and focus more on the positive.

Nicoledramon
Nov 14, 2006, 07:39 PM
Well, SEGA did not practice any patience in taking my money, why should I have to be patient and wait for things that are already on the damned disc?

This game is a disgrace. SEGA should stick to making Sonic games and sell the Phantasy Star license to real developers.

Flame
Nov 14, 2006, 08:20 PM
PSU's level design sucks. I played through story mode completely and have been to each and every level . Compared to PSO it is extremely lacking. While both games involve trudging around, I feel like PSU's levels were made with a goddamn map editor.

PSU has made combat awesome. And character creation has been taken to the next level. That's where the improvements stop really. The music IS worse. Stop telling people that they are whiners please. We're all supporters of ST and this game series. Calling people whiners is just going to make good community members leave.

Also the content updates wont solve the level design. Thanks

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 14, 2006, 08:26 PM
I think PSU is better than PSO in every single way except for the balancing. Other than that, the music is much more enjoyable and fast paced than the snooze fest that was the music of PSO, it is much more challenging, the action is more fast-paced, you can be any race, sex, and type combination you want.