PDA

View Full Version : Update: Changes to ranger

Carlo210
Nov 13, 2006, 09:25 AM
I remember hearing about the coming update (for NA) that'll also perform changes on the ranger classes or how guns work. I remember hearing about (and I still hear about) nerfing the rate of status effects and reducing pp cost for bullets. Could csomeone confirm/correct me?
If status effects are going to get nerfed (and I thought they were useless to count on 'NOW'), then I may as well get used to going purely opposite-elemental on baddies.
Thanks.

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 13, 2006, 09:56 AM
I don't know if they had this update for the JP version, but if it wasn't in the JP version, then I'm sure it won't be in the NA version either. correct if I'm wrong about the JP version though.

AngelLight
Nov 13, 2006, 11:16 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=121214&forum=20

This is the JP Patch 1.0009.2, that created a buff to rangers. Of note:

-Changed the success rate of Status effect shots from Ranger Type characters
-Adjusted PP recovery speed for gun type weapons for Ranger type characters

However, before that, there will be a nerf that lowers success rates of status effects. It was so long ago however, that I can't find the post talking about it (or what version number it's going to be). The only thing I could find are rant posts about it from way back when. So meh.

But in essence, we'll be hit with a small nerf, then they'll change it all around and we'll get a semi big buff. Now, since the two updates sort of overwrote each other, I'm wondering if SoA will just skip the first ranger change and just wait till the 2nd change takes effect or not. If they dont, then yes, expect a nerf soon for rangers. Just keep in mind it may not last as long.

Carlo210
Nov 13, 2006, 11:46 AM
Good stuff. Thanks. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Itsuki
Nov 13, 2006, 12:04 PM
But in essence, we'll be hit with a small nerf, then they'll change it all around and we'll get a semi big buff. Now, since the two updates sort of overwrote each other, I'm wondering if SoA will just skip the first ranger change and just wait till the 2nd change takes effect or not. If they dont, then yes, expect a nerf soon for rangers. Just keep in mind it may not last as long.
As far as I noticed from playing, all of the ranger updates including the status effect changes are already implemented. How do I know this?

1) I appear to regen roughly the same on both jp and us servers.
2) One of the major changes that happened with the status effect nerf was it made svalatus and mini-bosses only freezable with level 4 freeze. When was the last time you saw a frozen svalatus on the US servers? Before the update, a single ranger, with a rifle, could keep a svalatus perma-frozen.

Aegias
Nov 13, 2006, 01:06 PM
Aye, you would think Sega would ship PSU with class fixes in, don't you think itd be a bit retarded to nerf a class then re-buff them? I was wondering about the subject myself, but i assumed sega was smart enough to ship with class balance.
One of the few things they did right. But if im wrong and were about to get nerfed!?*vanish*

AngelLight
Nov 13, 2006, 02:00 PM
On 2006-11-13 09:04, Itsuki-chan wrote:
As far as I noticed from playing, all of the ranger updates including the status effect changes are already implemented.

It is possible, as the other poster after you had suggested, that class fixes pre US release was already included. If so, this would explain the 500 meg patch we got on the first day (vs. the 3 or 5 meg one the JP got), at least partly explaining it at least. Also, this would be a logical move as you'd imagine that any online game company would want their fixes out as soon as possible.

So perhaps we're already updated on rangers then...

-Shimarisu-
Nov 13, 2006, 02:04 PM
We already have all the fucking patches and tweaks that were brought into play to "fix" the jp version.

Why do you think that after fixing it they'd give us the broken version?

And then give us the first patch that nerfed the status ailments?

And then give us the second patch that fixed the first patch because the first patch nerfed them too much?

WHAT THE CHRIST?

AngelLight
Nov 13, 2006, 02:05 PM
Go away Mr. Emo Troll.......Here's a Waffle for you (#)

Mikaga
Nov 13, 2006, 02:23 PM
I've seen games follow the strict update schedule of earlier "parallel" servers, such that if the primary server causes a bug in a patch and then fixes it two patches later, the following server/s will then proceed to get the bug as well, going through the same wait before it is fixed for them.

For one thing, it makes update handling a heck of a lot easier. A rigid documentation of "what to change" is secure and deviating from this can cause other problems (for example, what if merging the effects of the two patches has an unforseen consequence and causes a NEW bug elsewhere? Lots more fix work required), not to mention it screws with the ability to maintain the same update schedule and pace and conformity as the primary server.

In short, it keeps things simple.

Now we don't (and probably won't) know how Sega will handle this, so they may or may not break update parallels in order to keep the secondary servers as balanced as possible throughout.

Thus it's really daft to assume either way.

-Shimarisu-
Nov 13, 2006, 02:25 PM
It's not really daft to assume either way. I'm not assuming shit. I play both versions and can tell you that AT LAUNCH, the state of the US version was IDENTICAL to the then-state of JP. We had every single patch fix JP had ever had already implemented.

Phaze37
Nov 13, 2006, 03:21 PM
Nerfing the least used class in the game? That doesn't seem right somehow...

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 13, 2006, 04:15 PM
On 2006-11-13 11:23, Mikaga wrote:

For one thing, it makes update handling a heck of a lot easier. A rigid documentation of "what to change" is secure and deviating from this can cause other problems (for example, what if merging the effects of the two patches has an unforseen consequence and causes a NEW bug elsewhere? Lots more fix work required), not to mention it screws with the ability to maintain the same update schedule and pace and conformity as the primary server.

In short, it keeps things simple.

I suspect that they are releasing bug/balance fixes and content additions on a separate update schedule; ie, bug fixes come immediately as needed, while content additions are added at set intervals relative to the launch date.

Itsuki
Nov 13, 2006, 09:21 PM
On 2006-11-13 11:00, AngelLight wrote:

On 2006-11-13 09:04, Itsuki-chan wrote:
As far as I noticed from playing, all of the ranger updates including the status effect changes are already implemented.

It is possible, as the other poster after you had suggested, that class fixes pre US release was already included. If so, this would explain the 500 meg patch we got on the first day (vs. the 3 or 5 meg one the JP got), at least partly explaining it at least. Also, this would be a logical move as you'd imagine that any online game company would want their fixes out as soon as possible.

So perhaps we're already updated on rangers then...

Theres a few issues with the 500 meg patch arguement.

The beta testers were playing on the US servers in english without the 500 meg patch. The jp server hasn't had more than maybe 20mb of patches TOTAL since the beginning. That 500meg patch has to be like offline mode stuff of translated stuff for online story mode or something.

PALRAPPYS
Nov 13, 2006, 09:36 PM
Huh... I swear that is really strange. But w/e. It's fine with me! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif And what's your name on PSU Carlo?