PDA

View Full Version : Show some love to Rangers ST

Ryoga4523
Nov 14, 2006, 03:47 PM
I remember back on PSO that a ranger of any type (male/female, human/cast) would put up some really good numbers (in terms of damage) and they had just as many cool looking weapons as the other classes.

But now, on PSU, not only do pretty much all the guns look the same, our bullet arts all look the same and we get the fewest B rank weps. I want a freakin B rank shotgun!!! Our SE's do not go off enough to make up the power differnce.This is just my rant, I am only level 25 and my Ranger level is only 2 or 3. On a tangent, I loved playing a Force http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif... But I guess I am just pissed that Rangers do not get any B rank shotguns, and the ones that we do get, we cannot even grind. Also we do not have a lot of ranger exclusive weps. We get rifles, shotguns, and dual handguns. If someone mentions traps I will slap them so hard it will knock the taste out their mouth. Also the current A rank weps that are sabers and a rod iirc. Where is the Ranger love ST???

Carlo210
Nov 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
Uh, b rank shottys and so forth are available only in moatoob, thus available after the update. It's not love to rangers ST has to implement, it's love to NA.
Secondl,y I agree with SE not going off enough to make up the power difference. Forces do SEs more often than us.

KiteWolfwood
Nov 14, 2006, 04:26 PM
I am a 38 10 ranger. I recently switched to hunter just so I could see those 11 PA on my spear and dagger that I will never be able to use even after switching to fortegunner. So close yet so far away. But yeah doing B and A rank mission I have found my self spamming half my pp on my guns just to paralyze a few mobs then just switching to dagger to go melee since dagger does the same damage as my guns but doesn't cost 10 pp every time I attack.

I probably will just play hunter till ST gives us NA some love and unlocks expert types and maybe some ranger love.

etlitch
Nov 14, 2006, 04:31 PM
Oh yes you can grind. In other parties. I must say that my chars time as a ranger was the easiest time ever. Join party, tag things, keep yourself out of the fighting zone.

It was extremely easy, I got the most exp because I tagged everything and sometimes got the kill exp while the hunters or forces could'nt tag everything. Everyone liked me because I was causing shock on things with my crappy ungrinded 2* dualies with lightning bullets saving my party recovery items.

Oh, did I say? Shock procs more than freeze and does'nt break the hunters attack either. I was using 2* ungrinded dual yohmei guns with lightning bullets on dragon B runs where half of the monsters were lightning because I did'nt even care about my damage. It works as long as it's more than 0. Barely used any recovery items at all thru my 5 ranger joblvls.

The current A grade weapons is bullshit. Noone can equip them, and when expert-classes gets released then the moatoob will also be relased which means that you get your grinded shots. I find rangers well balanced enough compared to the other classes.

I'm currently playin a FOcaseal, not that easy but I don't really expect Casts to be forces just like how I don't expect rangers to be damage dealers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: etlitch on 2006-11-14 13:36 ]</font>

Realmz
Nov 14, 2006, 04:33 PM
right now the game is in the same state that the JP palyers got it.

a little later after release rangers got a somewhat nasty nerf, they had a reduced chance to apply SE's but PP needed per shot was lowered.

a little after that, they increase SE rate to higher the in the begining, and kept PP cost low for guns (i think) resulting in a nice buff to rangers.

ST might just not give us the first bit for rangers and just give us the second =p

or they would give rangers nothing! woooooooOoo

etlitch
Nov 14, 2006, 04:39 PM
It's not the first time they applied some random "mistakes" in form of changes in the patches and then change it back/whatever without acknowledging their mistakes to the public. haha

Ryoga4523
Nov 14, 2006, 04:44 PM
I see everyones point... but why did Rangers get stuck with having to get weapons from Moatoob. As a hunter I can get all B rank weps, same for force... I just thought that it was sort of gary (minus the r) that ST pretty much forgot about the rangers

BloodDragoon
Nov 14, 2006, 04:47 PM
I lvled ranger to 5 after taking hunter to 10. Sure the damage output isnt as high as hunter or force. However they attack at long range and have mobility while doing so unless you like to use weapons like rifles and shotguns. Forces can attack at range but for the most part either can use a handgun or bow to do damage or cast spells which have a slight cast delay and the projectiles move slower than a bullet. Hunters deal large amounts of melee damage. At the same time this puts them in places where monsters can hit them back.

In the end though the only substantial complaints to damage output I ever had for ranger is solo farming B or A rank missions. In a party for exp I had no problems tagging everything and inflicting status effects on monsters. All the while not having to worry about getting hit.

watashiwa
Nov 14, 2006, 04:52 PM
On 2006-11-14 13:33, Realmz wrote:

a little later after release rangers got a somewhat nasty nerf, they had a reduced chance to apply SE's but PP needed per shot was lowered.

No, this game is in the state after the nerf.

If it was the state BEFORE the nerf, you'd see rangers freezing the Relics or Shikon mini-bosses into oblivion. Same goes for the charging rhino guys.

You can't even freeze them now.

BloodDragoon
Nov 14, 2006, 04:55 PM
No but you can light polivhora or whatever those big things are in the ruins on fire and watch them lose a few hundred HP every couple seconds. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Randomness
Nov 14, 2006, 05:33 PM
Yeah... And I've seen reports that you CAN freeze Svaltus, etc, but only with a level 4 freeze effect. I've done it in offline.

Ryoga4523
Nov 14, 2006, 05:52 PM
Dang... I did not know that Rangers got nerfed that badly. Ouch. Rangers were perfect in PSO... where did it all go wrong.

etlitch
Nov 14, 2006, 05:53 PM
That's correct. Mini-bosses are'nt immune vs status effects of lv4 or above.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: etlitch on 2006-11-14 14:53 ]</font>

BloodDragoon
Nov 14, 2006, 05:58 PM
On 2006-11-14 14:52, Ryoga4523 wrote:
Dang... I did not know that Rangers got nerfed that badly. Ouch. Rangers were perfect in PSO... where did it all go wrong.

They no longer have Spread Needles http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ryoga4523
Nov 14, 2006, 06:04 PM
lol... but atleast give us back the snow queen, or chaos bringers or something that will have ppl look at us and say, " Holy crap... where did you get that wep".

Schubalts
Nov 14, 2006, 06:56 PM
Rangers are status effect machines now. They aren't made to go in, guns blazing, and blow everything away like *insert action hero* anymore. That only works on bosses now.

Alisha
Nov 14, 2006, 08:46 PM
On 2006-11-14 13:52, watashiwa wrote:

On 2006-11-14 13:33, Realmz wrote:

No, this game is in the state after the nerf.

If it was the state BEFORE the nerf, you'd see rangers freezing the Relics or Shikon mini-bosses into oblivion. Same goes for the charging rhino guys.

You can't even freeze them now.

um.. any ranger that uses ice bullets on the shikon minibosses is a dumbass. underno circumstances will my ranger ever equip bullets solely for the status effects. if something needs frozen and is strong against magic i'll just freeze trap it.

watashiwa
Nov 14, 2006, 08:52 PM
On 2006-11-14 17:46, Alisha wrote:
um.. any ranger that uses ice bullets on the shikon minibosses is a dumbass underno circumstances will my ranger ever equip bullets solely for the status effects.

Who cares at this point? My post was about PRE-NERF. I used an ice rifle PRE-NERF on the JP version to freeze all the minibosses in place and annihilate them from far away without them being able to touch me while I solo'd.

Also, status effects rock, I'd gladly equip a fire based gun to inflict burning on a monster with insane HP in a higher ranking mission if I knew that my fire effect would have a high chance of going off... annoying enemies that move around a lot who I have a decent chance to freeze, I'd spam ice shots on them too..

One of a ranger's biggest assets IS their ability to inflict status effects and there is NOTHING wrong with using bullets just for that reason..

If you think so, then you can continue to be a half ass at everything you do.

EDIT: Although this is a huge video, you can see how horribly broken ranger status effects used to be:

http://www.ro-world.com/psushiz/solo_shikon.avi

(Video is about 216MB and you can see the Shikon miniboss being raped by rifle freeze status..)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-11-14 17:56 ]</font>

Cross
Nov 14, 2006, 09:17 PM
On 2006-11-14 17:46, Alisha wrote:um.. any ranger that uses ice bullets on the shikon minibosses is a dumbass. underno circumstances will my ranger ever equip bullets solely for the status effects. if something needs frozen and is strong against magic i'll just freeze trap it.

Ranger bullets aren't magic though, with or without elements attached. Unless you have Dark shots, you might as well shoot at Kagajibari with Ice, because it increases your attack by 30% at level 20, and you get the status effect as a bonus, and the PP cost to fire only goes up from 8 to 10.

You should always have elemental bullets equipped as a Ranger, whether it's to exploit an elemental weakness or to take advantage of a useful status effect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-11-14 18:18 ]</font>

Nani-chan
Nov 14, 2006, 09:25 PM
On 2006-11-14 18:17, Cross wrote:

On 2006-11-14 17:46, Alisha wrote:um.. any ranger that uses ice bullets on the shikon minibosses is a dumbass. underno circumstances will my ranger ever equip bullets solely for the status effects. if something needs frozen and is strong against magic i'll just freeze trap it.

Ranger bullets aren't magic though, with or without elements attached. Unless you have Dark shots, you might as well shoot at Kagajibari with Ice, because it increases your attack by 30% at level 20, and you get the status effect as a bonus, and the PP cost to fire only goes up from 8 to 10.

You should always have elemental bullets equipped as a Ranger, whether it's to exploit an elemental weakness or to take advantage of a useful status effect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-11-14 18:18 ]</font>

I think what she meant was that if you use ice bullets Kagajibari wil start using gibarta right after his barta. Learning to pull back is detrimental to many hunters.

Is that correct? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ether
Nov 14, 2006, 09:27 PM
Alisha plays offline and isnt qualified to talk about online rangers

Blitzkommando
Nov 14, 2006, 09:30 PM
I've found playing as a ranger rather easy myself. I'm not a very high level, 22 and level 5 ranger and yet I still find it fairly easy. While I'm not doing the damage numbers that hunters or forces do I am able to peg everything in the room and cause status effects on most enemies as well.

Flunky
Nov 14, 2006, 09:53 PM
http://www.ro-world.com/psushiz/solo_shikon.avi

Out of curiousity, what music is that in the background? Seemed rather appropriate for the area, heh.

watashiwa
Nov 14, 2006, 10:04 PM
On 2006-11-14 18:53, Flunky wrote:
Out of curiousity, what music is that in the background?

I don't remember. =(

I forgot to write down the track names as they were being streamed.. (I was listening to http://di.fm 's chillout channel at the time of recording ..)

Alisha
Nov 17, 2006, 07:24 PM
On 2006-11-14 18:27, Ether wrote:
Alisha plays offline and isnt qualified to talk about online rangers

it doesnt matter because i think offline is afflicted with the same nerf status because the only guns i can reliably land status effects with are bows, shotguns at close range ,and twin handguns and in the case of the latter two the status effect levels are really low, and thats if im attacking a monsters elemental weakness. a ranger will never freeze as reliably as dambarta but its not really safe for newman forces to be getting close enough to use that.

edit:i think we are thinking of the wrong miniboss i was thinking of kamitoze's not kajagibari. offline kajagibari's only appear in the burning agata islands and i hate seed extermination missions with a passion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-11-17 16:26 ]</font>

Capril
Nov 18, 2006, 10:04 AM
...Racaseal on PSU...so now I'm beginning to see what it is like to be a third-class citizen...

Schubalts
Nov 18, 2006, 10:53 AM
Third-class citizen? Everybody loves Rangers! Except monsters, I mean...

Reeve
Nov 18, 2006, 11:05 AM
can anyone with JP PSU comment on fortegunners, surely with a yohmei rifle/dualies the increased PP regen and decreased cost will make them last for ageeess

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 18, 2006, 12:08 PM
I haven't seen much of a problem with status effects as my RAnewearl, in fact, I've been freezing things quite a few times. And I am totally glad that Spread Needles are gone in this game, I hated that gun, it was broken and I had one too but I never used it.

Ryoga4523
Nov 18, 2006, 02:24 PM
what what what... the spread needle was the equivalent of the lavis blades and cannon. people used to complain about the chaos bringers rifle too. Darn hunters, just because we rangers kill it before you get there does not mean it is a cheap weapon.