PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Grinding Opinion

Hellodius
Nov 15, 2006, 03:17 PM
So last night (3am) i decided to start sythin' my first B class twin dagger weapon. After two attempts of tryin' to syth the twin suckers(ground) i succeeded in creating them. Now my question is to grind or not to grind? and if you say yes do you have any help or maybe know of any guides as to how to go about doing this as i don't want to lose them carelessly.

Merumeru
Nov 15, 2006, 03:18 PM
XD well id go for maybe 2 or 3 grinds, but if you tried 2 times to just make the weapon, you'll kick yourself if it breaks

FenixStryk
Nov 15, 2006, 03:18 PM
Do it, but be very, very cautious. I recommend only grinding it once or twice, since the first one is usuall a no failure and the second very high. However, I still stress you wait until it's your lucky day as well.

Pandatron
Nov 15, 2006, 03:21 PM
Hm... well first you have to ask yourself a simple and basic questions. Are you going to use them? The following options vary below.

a. Yes i plan to use them?

If it's an item that you've wanted for a while and haven't gotten anything better i would save it. I've heard random horror stories of stuff breaking at 100% and blah blah blah. That and you might wanna wait till your find something better before you grind the hell outta of it it'll save you mst in the long run.

b. No i don't plan to use it profit is the goal.

Grind till your hearts content and if it breaks you just lost potential profit and not actually gear losing gear is alot more toiling on someone then saying 'oh i lost such and such mst'.

That's my thoughts on the matter g'luck with your choice ^_^.

Hellodius
Nov 15, 2006, 03:27 PM
Where would i go about finding grinders and stuff (noob i know) but is it best to see if i can find them in peoples stores, or from planet shops or what? and how do i use the bases?

Kaply
Nov 15, 2006, 03:40 PM
only grind 2-3 times, up to 4 if you're feeling lucky with your twin daggers (assuming it's GRM). You only gain a steady 5 atp points per grind. Is it worth it for a chance to lose your weapon? Granted the PP gain is a bit higher, varies from 9-7 and then on the +8 it's +11, but not sure you'd see a +8 twin dagger anytime soon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Good luck if you do try though.

Maskim
Nov 15, 2006, 03:40 PM
Grind em! If you're too scared to grind them, then synth another pair so you have a backup in case they break. If you don't want to do that, then buy a board to the level weapon below that, and grind those to 5-7. Less lost if one breaks, and better synth chance so should get more from the board, just in case some break.

Seriously, you don't get something good without taking a chance, and that's just what grinding is. Make a female newman today for the +3 luck, and get the highest grinders you can. I tend to grind the 'best' of my weapons twice, then grind a couple others, until one I don't care about really breaks, then grind the first 2 or 3 more times. I lose weapons pretty often...but it's been a while since I lost my 'good' one. I got my fire Calaud to +7 from 0 doing this last night.

Besides, a hunter with a +5 ground C class (3rd C class mind you) is going to be outdamaging that 1st B class, unground.

...Basically, in my mind, grinding is required. I figure if I don't have a backup weapon in case it breaks, it's just a few solo runs to recoup my losses and either resynth or repurchase. Same with armor. I failed my Gigaline, but the second one is already in the oven, having got the materials needed doing runs while the first attempt was synthing.

Invisus
Nov 15, 2006, 03:45 PM
First grind on B ranks is guaranteed not to fail so thats safe for sure. As far as crafting B ranks; I failed 4 times on my hajirod and after making 2 successfully I realized i can just buy them for 20k. Just go buy them from people and grind on a lucky day. 20k isn't a big investment.

Realmz
Nov 15, 2006, 03:54 PM
go check out PSUpedias Weapon Grinding section, nice little chart on weapon grinding.

according to said chart lv +2 to 100% if you use +9 oir +10 b grinders at lv 3 luck, on lv 2 and 1 only the first grind is 1% and at 0 no grind is.

Grr
Nov 15, 2006, 04:01 PM
For me , Grinding is a slow process that pays off. Basically what I do is have One extra of the weapon i wanted grinded , so i have three Vullseyes +3s on me , if i wanted to go to +4 , Id buy a new one and grind it to +3 (If the new one breaks , no loss as far as weeapons already grinded) Then i take the brand new one , grind it again (to +4) Then it becomes part of my palette, and an old rifle (thats +3) comes out and i try to grind it to 4 , and basically I Keep doing that until either I feel sastisfied , or one breaks (guess which one happens first ?)

But for that first grind , Like a B+2 with lvl 1 luck is enough for a garunteed 100 %, so at LEAST get to +1 on every new weapon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Hellodius
Nov 15, 2006, 04:08 PM
so again should i buy the grinders from people or from planet shops?

Maskim
Nov 15, 2006, 04:15 PM
Take all the grinder bases you've picked up doing runs, go buy a grinder b board for 1000 meseta (what most player shops seem to sell grinder B+2 or 3's for even..EACH), and make 5. I do 2/2/1 for each board, usually giving me 2 +1-3's, 2 +4 or 5's, and 1 +6 or 7. Lower plusses used at the lower grind levels. Making your own grinders will net you 5 (of random +'s) for roughly 1/4 or buying from shops.

PS: Oddly enough, every single time I get +10's it's when I'm lazy and just synth all 5 grinders from a board at once...guess I should do that more. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maskim on 2006-11-15 13:17 ]</font>

Grr
Nov 15, 2006, 04:39 PM
Side note : making your own grinders cost 700 each (1000+500 per base) I sell +1s for 300(14 in stock), and +2(15 in stock) for 500, and +3s (sold out but at 700 break even point)

Maskim
Nov 15, 2006, 04:45 PM
That's not bad, Grr. I don't even know how many shops I go into with 500-800 for +1's, 1000 for 2's, and only up from there. Note, these are the same folks with 3000+ for nanocarbons, and 1500+ for marselines. *roll eyes*

Koyasha
Nov 15, 2006, 04:50 PM
There's a very good post on the official forums about grinding, and it's quite true. The base of it is: Don't get a weapon if you can't afford to grind it. That means, if getting that shiny new 5 star weapon is going to take half your money or more, don't do it. Get four 3 star weapons and grind them all to +6 or higher. Some will break, but the entire process will be less expensive and net you better weaponry than getting 5 star weaponry and then not grinding because you can't afford to break it.

The PSU weapon system really is designed around grinding your weapons, and you wind up with an inferior weapon at higher price if you don't take advantage of it. Pretty much any actively used weapon should have at LEAST 4 grinds on it, and that's low. Get it to +6, and you have a good, strong weapon. Get it to +8 or +10 and you have an excellent weapon. Most C rank weapons with 10 grinds are probably better than 90% of the 5 star weapons people are using now a days, since most people I see don't grind much.

Best thing to do is find a price point on a weapon you can afford to buy 5 or more of. Then grind those to at least +6 by grinding all of them one step at a time. Beyond your 4th grind, you're going to want to use pretty good grinders, and remember, just because it says 'very high' chance on a +1 and a +5 grinder, doesn't mean that the +5 grinder isn't still increasing your chances to not break. Those are ranges, not absolutes, as far as I understand it.

Grr
Nov 15, 2006, 04:57 PM
Forgot to say : Grinding is a very touchy subject for us Rangers , Becuase the one thing we base our class off of , Acc , Cant be Grinded.
Makes the C class+5 or B class +1 debate a bit more heated. I for one whould rather go with the higher Acc , cuase im a fan of rifles and all status effects levels , which require a bullet hitting a monster to work >.> of course you could just walk behind them , but moving every few seconds isnt a rangers style (that pew pew of the rifle kinda slows you down) (unless you break out the dualies , then its time to strafe some burn/shock/freeze to the face)

Flunky
Nov 15, 2006, 05:00 PM
To Koyasha: I'd say there's one caveat about your argument: ATA values.

While usually not a big deal, for certain weapons in particular the difference between a 3-star and a 5-star is the difference between 115ish and 180+ (one-handed Yohmei daggers)... at least, that's if I remember right.

Having more power with a grinded weapon doesn't mean much if you can't hit the target.

Edit: As to whether or not you should grind yer new B-rank weapon, I'd say once or twice at the least. If you plan on keeping it in your roster a while (that is, don't plan on replacing with something better as soon as you can), then upgrade it at least 4 times- but make sure to use decent grinders and make use of good luck.

And finally: before grinding, always make sure you've got either a backup or the means to a backup close at hand.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flunky on 2006-11-15 14:04 ]</font>

Grr
Nov 15, 2006, 05:11 PM
I will tell you this about grinding < Koyasha is rigth about +8-10 being better than the next couple steps up , a Beast buddy of mine recently made a Halbert , and My (ranger-ificD) GRM C class Spear +8 , Has more Atp than it , I got a good laugh at him , before i realied his base Atp ate mine for break fast (cmon ST , lvl 1 Hunter atp > lvl 10 ranger Atp ? criminal), and made his spear do 500 + on dus daggas , while my 10 capped only did 250 or so. (still 500 twice really fast n multi target enemies isnt shabby)

Randomness
Nov 15, 2006, 05:33 PM
Also, if you have an empty char slot, and a race/gender has 3 luck, drop the stuff in common bow, make a lucky char, and grind with them. MUCH better success rates.

Mystil
Nov 15, 2006, 07:42 PM
I will never ever grind again in this game. I lost my first and only 5 star(Halbanata 20% light; 100-114dmg, 228-234PAdmg)weapon. . . .and level 3 luck day mind you.

Too much risk.

Garroway
Nov 15, 2006, 08:01 PM
On 2006-11-15 13:01, Grr wrote:
For me , Grinding is a slow process that pays off. Basically what I do is have One extra of the weapon i wanted grinded , so i have three Vullseyes +3s on me , if i wanted to go to +4 , Id buy a new one and grind it to +3 (If the new one breaks , no loss as far as weeapons already grinded) Then i take the brand new one , grind it again (to +4) Then it becomes part of my palette, and an old rifle (thats +3) comes out and i try to grind it to 4 , and basically I Keep doing that until either I feel sastisfied , or one breaks (guess which one happens first ?)

But for that first grind , Like a B+2 with lvl 1 luck is enough for a garunteed 100 %, so at LEAST get to +1 on every new weapon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I use this same process and though expensive, it certainly hurts less than losing a weapon that you really did need.

Randomness
Nov 15, 2006, 08:02 PM
On 2006-11-15 16:42, Silhouette wrote:
I will never ever grind again in this game. I lost my first and only 5 star(Halbanata 20% light; 100-114dmg, 228-234PAdmg)weapon. . . .and level 3 luck day mind you.

Too much risk.

Depends on the quality of grinder and hwo far you tried to take it. I've got a 6 star bow at +3.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 15, 2006, 08:05 PM
Do this...

Day: 3* Lucky Day
Grinders: +5 or higher. Make them yourself on your lucky day.
How to: Grind the weapons you want until the NPC changes the phrase from "Very High Chance" to "High Chance". Usually the first High one screws most people. The best i've gotten even on my lcuky day is a +6 Brahoh. I broke 4 others on the 6th grind each. I consider 6 to be the magic number so I don't go past that.

Wackonus
Nov 15, 2006, 08:05 PM
Don't say if you screwed it up, because I'll laugh at you.

Randomness
Nov 15, 2006, 08:08 PM
Have you seen the stats on a fully ground Alteric bow? It gains like 350 ATP over its unground version. Mines at about 400 ATP at +3.

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 15, 2006, 11:48 PM
Been pretty broke with trying to raise my PM and get myself a full assortment of 5* weapons for my force (forces need more weapons than anybody I think, 3 rods, 3 canes, 2 or 3 guns, and a bow area good start)

I bought 1 haji for 18k, out of a board only 1/3 of them worked so I had 2 haji's
I tried to make my own canes and 2/3 of those worked

so I had 2 and 2. Saw I had lvl 3 luck and a bunch of B grinders so went to try my luck.

I had both haji's +2 already on a regular day with mid grade grinders, and same for the canes.

I pushed the canes to +4 on a normal day no luck.

When I saw I had lvl 3 luck last night I had to try to +4 the haji's well the first one went there no issues, the 2nd one broke on +4 with a +7 grinder... the best grinder I had so it had a higher chance than all the others :?

I am not too upset, I did like 5 relic C runs with my PM got 12k meseta, bought a haji board, did a neudaze run for some neu wood/ash (not 1 out of every single player shop I searched had eather at or below npc price!!!!) the 1st haji worked and was done right before I had to come to work, then rushed to the neudaze shot and with 4 +3 grinders got it at +4 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

so I got 2 canes +4 and 2 haji's +4 now and I say the diffrence in damage is pretty good, much more so on the canes, maybe because they are GRM, they are just as high as the RODS almost and the TP of rods is supposed to be alot higher than wands. I dont think i want higher than +4 as the +6 limit wont give me much more attack and I cant afford to lose them again.

Definitly just do it with good grinders and on a good day when you have a weapon replacment dont be like me and blow up somthing you really need! (I had a 4* backup tho)

Mystil
Nov 16, 2006, 04:43 AM
So I don't hijack human luck day thread..

On 2006-11-15 17:02, Randomness wrote:

On 2006-11-15 16:42, Silhouette wrote:

Too much risk.

Depends on the quality of grinder and hwo far you tried to take it. I've got a 6 star bow at +3.

It was a B grinder +5. I had 4 +5's. It broke my spear after the FIRST attempt! 15,000m down the drain.

So this really made me take raising my PM seriously. Going pure striking, dangit. Probably wont party til I get this sucker to say 80%. I gave it a whole schlew of items that I was lazily hording since day one and I got striking up to 9 so far.

My parzenata made it to +3(or 2) and it's on par with Halba's damage so it kinda softens the loss.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2006-11-16 01:50 ]</font>

Carbinne
Nov 16, 2006, 05:46 AM
Grinding is best done on 3 or 4 star weapons. They're relatively cheap and don't represent a huge loss if they break. Grinding weapons that are 5 stars and up is a LOT harder, and while you can end up with a weapon that is simply better, I have heard of people breaking expensive B rank weapons with "no chance of failure" at least a couple of times. I would only grind a 5 star up to +2, unless I have awesome luck and grinders with huge numbers on them. I took three 4 star wands to the GRM grinder place and walked out with a couple that were +3 and one broken wand. I used some extra B+1s and B+2s I had kicking around, on my level 3 luck mule. Considering I can take C rank weapons straight to +4 quite often, this doesn't make me feel so confident in grinding B weapons.

A friend of mine ground his 5 star rifle up to +6, which I think is insane, and I believe he also has a spear that is also well-ground. Then again, he doesn't skimp on quality; when another friend broke his 5 star Cane(?) that guy went out and bought a replacement Cane AND took it to +4 with B+10 grinders (I think they were +10) and gave it to him. Awesome guy.

That said, I tried both my 3 star Brahoh rifle +6 and his 5 star Burzaihoh rifle +6, the damage difference really wasn't terribly large -- 20-30 points or so. Adds up, but it's not *truly* necessary, at least for the time being. It's more about the accuracy difference, which is a lot harder to measure. In any case, I agree, a +6 three star weapon can potentially get huge bonuses to attack that overwhelm higher level weaponry. I bought a +6 3 star Lance some time ago with 20% earth and it murders things in Parum, cost me 6k but was totally worth it. I'd say best things to grind would be stuff with naturally high ATP like spears, swords(perhaps), and rifles. Staffs and the like would be nice too, but I haven't messed with force weapons so much.

Hellodius
Nov 16, 2006, 01:09 PM
So i did the grinding last night after the complete "GO FOR IT" i got from this topic. THanx for all your help... i have onw used a B+2 and a B+3 on it so it resides at +2. Also another noob question. Are the Grinder Bases only used as ingredients in the making of grinders or are you able to add them to the grinder to improve them?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hellodius on 2006-11-16 10:11 ]</font>

Maskim
Nov 16, 2006, 01:12 PM
Just the base ingredient to make a grinder.

Miyoko
Nov 16, 2006, 01:22 PM
Lv1 luck + Lv1 grinder = 100% chance for first grind on b rank stuff.

Might as well grind it to +1 ;p

AkiraXxx
Nov 16, 2006, 02:01 PM
Well if you ever need grinders just check out my shop http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

*shamless shop plug*