PDA

View Full Version : Macros Illegal or against ToS?

AkiraXxx
Nov 16, 2006, 02:07 PM
I had an idea a few days ago about using a macro in PSU. Now befor you go ballsac crazy, its a macro for PC to just enter keys for you, kinda like ABCmover and other programs. The idea was to have words short cutted, that way if I afk in my shop, people will know im afk.

Example: It would constanly say while I was in my shop,

"Hi welcome to the grinder shop"
"Im currently Unavailable to assist you"
"This is an automated message"
"Feel free to check out the presents"
"They contain grinder bundles at 50% off!"
"Also feel free to send me your hunter card!"

I thought it was a neat idea because I would have liked my PM to greet people as they come in. But now using a macro I can do it myself. And in regards of spamming, its nice because you say the message in your room so no one gets spammed unless they are in your shop, and on top of that it doesnt say the message non stop, it says it every 30-50 seconds.

So what do yall think? Good idea or bad idea?

Ryogen
Nov 16, 2006, 02:11 PM
Gotta read the ToS to find out. I would actually say it is in a way. If it's in your room, I don't think you would get too much trouble on your hands.

BluCast20xx
Nov 16, 2006, 02:12 PM
Good idea to do, but good luck trying to pull it off. Using 3rd party programs kinda gives them all the right to suspend you.

Aaomi
Nov 16, 2006, 02:12 PM
Harmless but I really dunno if it would be a problem or not.

DizzyDi
Nov 16, 2006, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. S'not like you're using it for anything thats detrimental to the gaming environment like hacking for rares or duping items.

Nonetheless SEGA may see it as hacking if you're using a 3rd party program and may take action accordingly.

I'd go for it if I were you, just realize you may be taking a risk.

Zato-2TWO
Nov 16, 2006, 02:17 PM
I dunno about automated macros, but I have shortcuts for whenever I'm tending the shop. It's what I like to do while I'm waiting for items to synth.

When someone walks in, they get the "/altf2 @10 Welcome!" macro.
While they're browsing they get the "/alt5 Feel free to browse!" macro
And when they hit up my desk to leave they get the "/altf6 Thank you for shopping at Arkheld Arms!" macro.

I'd just recommend to read over the ToS carefully regarding that.

krika
Nov 16, 2006, 02:18 PM
It's a third party program and you will get banned for using it. Harmless or not.

So bad idea http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krika on 2006-11-16 11:18 ]</font>

AkiraXxx
Nov 16, 2006, 02:19 PM
On 2006-11-16 11:17, Zato-2TWO wrote:
I dunno about automated macros, but I have shortcuts for whenever I'm tending the shop. It's what I like to do while I'm waiting for items to synth.

When someone walks in, they get the "/altf2 @10 Welcome!" macro.
While they're browsing they get the "/alt5 Feel free to browse!" macro
And when they hit up my desk to leave they get the "/altf6 Thank you for shopping at Arkheld Arms!" macro.

I'd just recommend to read over the ToS carefully regarding that.

Yeah thats basicly what im saying. I have those short cuts hotkeyed already. All the macro does is push the corresponding key for it. Like right down right, or right down down down right.

BloodDragoon
Nov 16, 2006, 02:23 PM
Knowing people someone is gonna assume its a bot or something and report it as so. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

BioWarrior
Nov 16, 2006, 02:29 PM
"Harmless" stuff like this is what leads to the more serious stuff, if I found you doing this in your shop I wouldn't hesitate to report you.

AkiraXxx
Nov 16, 2006, 02:31 PM
On 2006-11-16 11:29, BioWarrior wrote:
"Harmless" stuff like this is what leads to the more serious stuff, if I found you doing this in your shop I wouldn't hesitate to report you.

Well your pretty @#$.

How would this lead to more serious stuff? Enlighten us with your knowlege on coding and hacks.

--
Mod edit: do not use 'gay' in a derogatory way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2006-11-16 11:40 ]</font>

BioWarrior
Nov 16, 2006, 02:34 PM
Look at the "Harmless" windower on FFXI that was used so people could view web pages while playing, now it visually shows spell distance, bow and gun firing distance, monster HP%, alliance MP, party, alliance, and monster TP, and tons of other crap that now makes using windowed mode a bannable offense lol.

bah edited for spelling errors

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BioWarrior on 2006-11-16 11:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BioWarrior on 2006-11-16 11:36 ]</font>

Aaomi
Nov 16, 2006, 02:41 PM
On 2006-11-16 11:34, BioWarrior wrote:
Look at the "Harmless" windower on FFXI that was used so people could view web pages while playing, now it visually shows spell distance, bow and gun firing distance, monster HP%, alliance MP, party, alliance, and monster TP, and tons of other crap that now makes using windowed mode a bannable offense lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BioWarrior on 2006-11-16 11:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BioWarrior on 2006-11-16 11:36 ]</font>
Square was strict and it was bannable before any of that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

They just had trouble detecting it until someone was using it for something more.

BioWarrior
Nov 16, 2006, 02:43 PM
Oh they can detect it easy now, they implimented spyware JUST to detect it in their october patch which sucks cause when they added it the game would start loading POL twice, then quickly close one down, and then the game would slow down randomly every 15-20minutes for about a minute and make it unplayable.

AkiraXxx
Nov 16, 2006, 02:43 PM

Lol.

1.This isnt ff
2.PC is in windowed mode.
3.How would any of those things effect us? We would never be able to see monster hp, its not a part of the game, weapon distance? What would that be used for here lol, party, well I can already see whos in the party lol.

You understand what abcmover is right? Its a free program you can get from any download site. And it only punches in key commands for you. My Razor mouse has macros you can program into it, but cant use a mouse on this game lol.

I could see if I were using a program that logged onto a server or had to log with PSU in order to operate, but ABCmover works completely off whats on your desktop.

And checking the tos, it only says about using 3rd party programs to modify the game itself. This isnt considered modifying is it? Typing in stuff.

I already contacted psu support hopefully ill get a reply on it. Because this is actually a really nice concept.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AkiraXxx on 2006-11-16 11:52 ]</font>

BioWarrior
Nov 16, 2006, 02:45 PM
Well if PSU suport doesn't have any complaints against it then you have nothing to worry about.

BioWarrior
Nov 16, 2006, 02:47 PM
Well if PSU suport doesn't have any complaints against it then you have nothing to worry about.

BioWarrior
Nov 16, 2006, 02:49 PM

Sydz
Nov 16, 2006, 04:25 PM
PSU uses Gameguard and all, which is designed to Flatout stop 3rd party stuff like macros.

Gamemako
Nov 16, 2006, 04:59 PM
But as of right now, it does not stop use of the G15 keyboard macros.

Good game, Gameguard.

BloodDragoon
Nov 16, 2006, 05:10 PM
Thats because those keyboard macros are programmed keystroke macro's linked to a function button much like using a nostromo pad and such. I use a G15 for FFXI http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif These kind of input devices are recognized by games as additional hardware. From the sounds of the OP tho he isnt using these type of input devices and is trying to use a software program to set to a timer that will auto execute macro text in game for him on a repeating cycle.

DoubleJG
Nov 16, 2006, 05:16 PM
If I ever enter a shop, I never speak with the owner. If they are there, they are usually idly sitting around. Do what you want, but someone will most likely report you. If they don't report you, they'll blacklist you for sure. Why would anyone want to constantly keep hearing "welcome welcome welcome etc etc" when all they want to do is check out your prices, what's in stock, and possibly make a purchase?

My suggestion: Don't bother.

Dusk21
Nov 16, 2006, 05:33 PM
Look at the "Harmless" windower on FFXI that was used so people could view web pages while playing, now it visually shows spell distance, bow and gun firing distance, monster HP%, alliance MP, party, alliance, and monster TP, and tons of other crap that now makes using windowed mode a bannable offense lol

And this was detrimental to the game how? Oh no you can see spell distance...and how far you can shoot...so you won't make annoying, meaningless mistakes? Monster hp % well you could already get a rough idea there - use your eyes and look at their hp bar!. SoE ripped off the mods to EQ's UI that let you see HP % after they realized people liked it. And you can see your alliance's MP/TP well that saves them a line of text, convenient and not game breaking. Monster TP is the one and ONLY thing on that list that is questionable and even then you could easily estimate that by how long you've been fighting/how many hits the mob got. Not to mention none of this applies in any way to PSU and how the game system works out and plays.

As for your macro thing Akira personally it doesn't affect me one way or another whether people say stuff when I go in their shops or not, and I don't think a couple lines of macroed text is gonna increase your business or get more people in the shop but really whatever floats your boat, its not a bad idea I'm just impartial and it certainly won't hurt a thing. If people start usin crap like that out in cities/field bases well thats why we have a blacklist.

BloodDragoon
Nov 16, 2006, 05:45 PM
The worse thing Windower did in FFXI was increase the number of bots and hacks used online. Why because the people making these programs no longer had to find away around getting it to work without taking the game out of fullscreen.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 16, 2006, 06:58 PM
If i'm in your shop I don't need to fucking hear you saying what you have. I'm there to browse, not to hang out. I'm there because I specifically searched for an item you have in your shop. I know you have what I need, and I don't need you telling me again and again. I'll see what you have quicker than you flooding the shop with an automated response.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-16 16:00 ]</font>

Schubalts
Nov 16, 2006, 07:20 PM
On the windower in FFXI... it was against the ToS. What something does, does not matter if it is against the ToS. It could be something that makes your character run around in circles all day, but if it is against the ToS, you can get banned/suspended/whatever for it. The windower was and is a third-party program, thus it is against the ToS. The fact its main purpose is just putting FFXI in a window, has no effect on the ToS.

Sorry for going off-topic there.

Inazuma
Nov 16, 2006, 07:56 PM
the G15 macros work? i have one and i tested if macros would work and they simply didnt. i thought psu had totally blocked all kinds of macros and software based turbo buttons.

BloodDragoon
Nov 16, 2006, 08:08 PM
I've yet to find anything online or offline that didnt allow the use my my G15 macro buttons. But then a majority of the macros I made for it are just text imput for FFXI (/ja "Provoke" <st>, /ma "Utsusemi: Ichi" <me>, etc...) though I did set a few up to navigate some in game menus on other games to run thru the menu repeatedly (stupid NPC's that only let you trade or purchase things 1 at a time. Yeah, I'm looking at you iRO...). I didnt buy PSU for my PC though I bought it for PS2 because I wanted to use my PC for other things so I have yet to try it on PSU and I doubt the buttons even work at all when plugged into a PS2.

Wallin
Nov 16, 2006, 09:07 PM
I would easily say that macro programs are bannable.

The way you want to use it is fine, the way that I think you could potentially use it, however, is not. That you can use the keyboard to play the game means you can do a lot more than what you're thinking. I don't know much about ABCmover, but if you don't allow one macro program, you really can't allow others, and there are definitely others that can be abusive.

For instance, lag aside (for which you would just slow the macro down) you could make a macro to enter the game, create a new character, move them into the dressing room, strip their clothes, put them in the common box, log out, and repeat - this is the method people use to make armor PMs, which in itself is not illegal, but as you did no work for it, the macro itself is illegal, and the program that supports such actions is also illegal. As soon as the common box is filled, flip on another macro to get on your main character and clear it out, then repeat the creation process again. If you thought being too lazy to buy clothes and armor to make an armor PM was bad, this would take the cake.

And it's not impossible to do, or complicated. Like I said, just hit enter and wait a bunch of times for the menu, move into the dressing room, take off your items, move to the storage, deposit it all, log off, and restart the macro. I used to do things like this way back when in Ultima Online to raise my character's skill like with Taming when no one cared about 3rd party programs. Cheap, but effective.

Any 3rd party program that directly affects the gaming universe in any way is pretty much considering 'modifying' it - using the program to do something to the game instead of doing it yourself, like the armor example.

Inazuma
Nov 18, 2006, 03:43 AM
oh macros do indeed work now. im on jp ver and it seems they have added support recently. does the fact that they added support mean its ok to do? its not like psu can really benefit much from em tho. id like to make macros to select items or rods faster but since it always saves the position of last one used, it wont really work.

Xbob
Nov 18, 2006, 03:51 AM
Well if it got around, people could go AFK and spam "PENIS!" without any effort.

Lashiens
Nov 18, 2006, 03:55 AM
My advice, seriously?

Get a couple of them bobbing duck things that you put water int he bottom, and they tip forward like they're supposed to be bobbing in the water. Now, go get 5 or 6 of them, and fill them with different water heights.

Bingo bango. You got an easy to set up macro, no messing programming (save for a bit of water), and you can watch all the work they do at the keyboard for you, hitting shortcut keys!

I know, I know. I'm a genius. I'll be here all week.

Okay, seriously. Really, it works. I've done it before. Hilarious, but it functions. And it's NOT against the TOS! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif