PDA

View Full Version : Ranger: Twin HGs vs. Rifles vs. Bows o.O

FenixStryk
Nov 17, 2006, 07:48 PM
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I love all 3 of these weapons, but each one serves almost exactly the same purpose. I'd like to focus on one weapon type when I switch to Guntecher, but which weapon should it be?

Note:
SE apply rate is the % chance that an SE is put on an enemy.
SE Lvl is the level of the actual SE. For example, Freeze Lv4.

Rifles: These guns are pretty much the base gun out there. It has the most PP, has more range and has a higher SE Lvl than Twin HGs. Most rangers tend to use these, however...

Bows: Strangely, bows are better than Rifles in almost every way. More damage, higher SE apply rates, and just as high SE Lvls. However, it has a little less PP and has a fire delay. If you can use this, go for it.

Twin HGs: This setup is a Texas Ranger's dream, but it operates differently. It does more damage per trigger pull compared to Rifles (380x2 > 580x1) and has a higher SE apply rate than Rifles, but its SE Lvl is lower, has less range and less PP. The main hook though is that you can STRAFE WHILE FIRING!

So, what's the concensus? I know I've probably lost a lot of you after I told you Bows are better than Rifles in every way, but still, which is best?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-11-17 17:00 ]</font>

Randomness
Nov 17, 2006, 07:52 PM
Bows or Rifles have one huge advantage over twins. They can apply SEs to basically everything but actual bosses. Freezing Svaltus, for example. Bows ftw.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 17, 2006, 07:53 PM
You know, I don't seem to be able to use Bows, even as a ranger. WTF is that?

Randomness
Nov 17, 2006, 07:56 PM
Bows are force weapons.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 17, 2006, 07:58 PM
On 2006-11-17 16:56, Randomness wrote:
Bows are force weapons.

Well that's funny to see the whole 'RANGER' title added to this thread.

Vorpal
Nov 17, 2006, 07:58 PM
Offline Rangers can use bows http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif. Well Wartechers can use Bows, and with good ATP, bows will be dealing GREAT damage maybe.

FenixStryk
Nov 17, 2006, 07:59 PM
On 2006-11-17 16:52, Randomness wrote:
Bows ... can apply SEs to basically everything but actual bosses. Freezing Svaltus, for example.Indeed, such an advantage is notable. In fact, I think it's so notable that I noted it. Ah, here it is.

On 2006-11-17 16:48, FenixStryk wrote:
Twin HGs [have] a higher SE apply rate than Rifles, but its SE Lvl is lower [than Rifles/Bows].

On 2006-11-17 16:53, SpikeOtacon wrote:
You know, I don't seem to be able to use Bows, even as a ranger. WTF is that?Bows are a Force weapon, but they are still better than a Ranger's Rifle. This is one reason why I'm going Guntecher. I get to be a Ranger and still use Bows!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-11-17 17:00 ]</font>

Alisha
Nov 17, 2006, 08:24 PM
bows start with level 2 status effect and max out at lvl 4 status, but the firing rate is abysmal.
rifles start with lvl 1 status but get lvl 2 at lvl 11 and lvl 3 at lvl 21 and have a great firing rate,plus maybee its just me but they seem to crit very often. plus rifle pa accuracy grows at 2% per level so rifle tend to be more accurate.
twin handguns can do about equal damage as bows and rifles but have horrible pp

Vorpal
Nov 17, 2006, 08:34 PM
The firing rate really isn't that bad, and if I'm able to constantly freeze enemies, which has saved my life plenty, and able to constantly hit enemies for 100s makes it my choice ranged weapon, and I'm only a level 15 human force. The bow is able to shoot about 2 shots per second, while the rifle is like 2.3 shots per second, and I've never used dual handguns.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vorpal on 2006-11-17 17:34 ]</font>

Alisha
Nov 17, 2006, 08:37 PM
when you have use the rifle for a while then switch to the bow it seems horrible especially when you are trying to hit a moving target.

KiteWolfwood
Nov 17, 2006, 08:42 PM
What do lasers and Grenade launcher have going for them anyway? Do they have higher SE level/apply rate then rifle or something or just more damage? Cause as a ranger I really don't care to much about my damage. I just want to be able to do my SE as often as possible since I have 2 forces and 3 hunters tearing everything to pieces.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KiteWolfwood on 2006-11-17 17:42 ]</font>

Randomness
Nov 17, 2006, 08:42 PM
Actually, rifles are 2,3,4 liek bows for statuses.

ProfessorZ
Nov 17, 2006, 09:00 PM
twins just because i can strafe normally

etlitch
Nov 17, 2006, 09:11 PM
Bows - Status effect lvl as much as rifle, proc chance seems less but it's a fair tradeoff for having a defence ignoring weapon.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 17, 2006, 09:15 PM
Twins for the cannon fodder on the stages, Rifles for bosses. Especially for Dimmagolus. You don't wanna be dancing and doing cartwheels with your Twins up next to a boss especially when they get harder for S Rank missions.

To Reitterate:

Twins: Cannon Fodder
Rifles: Bosses

To hell with Shotguns, Machineguns and Bows. Twins, Rifles, and Crossbows. That's all i'll be mainly focusing on as a Guntecher. Don't care about the others. If I have time and need to farm money i'll level those up when I solo Holy Shrine B or some other easy money mission.

HOWEVER. I do note this: I may grow to like Bows and Shotguns if I put as much time, effort and care for grinds and upgrades in them like I do for my Twins and Rifles. It's certainly a possibility. As of right now I don't need them, so I don't care to level them up or keep them up-to-date. My force 1-3 will probably be solo with my NPCs in Holy Shrine B anyway.

EDIT: The bulk of my damage; believe it or not, comes from my Twins and the many criticals they get. I don't care to buy a Dagger or a Machine gun right now, and i'm satisfied with 40/50 per bullet strike. The paralysis effect lands like every hit too; and I just started to level Twin Plasma. <3 Moatoob so easy... so much meseta... so many class points... T_T

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2006-11-17 18:20 ]</font>

entropyboy
Nov 17, 2006, 09:19 PM
i am making a guntecher specifically cause they are the only class that can use S rank twin guns

Vorpal
Nov 17, 2006, 09:23 PM
Bows do have a decent grind, with my 800 costing one, every grind gave me 10 extra damage.

KiteWolfwood
Nov 17, 2006, 09:38 PM
People seem to be turned off by the atp on shotguns. But you have to remember. As you level they become better and better. Right now my Plasma Shotgun is at 18. It does around 40-60. Doesn't seem like much when my rifle is doing 130 and twin handguns do 75x2. But at the moment it fires four bullets. Also each bullet has a sort of aoe effect. I can get it to hit 8 enemies at once. Also SE level is decent, and the SE apply is also really nice.

Now the thing about them that makes them special. Point blank. 4x60=240. Even if it is 4x40=160. Pretty nice if I say so my self. Also each shot has four chances to inflict the SE.

Schubalts
Nov 17, 2006, 10:51 PM
Yea, shotguns shine at point blank for damage, and are good at spreading SEs around a group of monsters.

Arieta
Nov 18, 2006, 10:10 AM
shotguns are also good at tagging all the mobs in the field while still hiding in the back. I'm a fan of twins though, because they're great on cannon fodder (as stated above) and you can move around while firing them. All the better to tag mobs with. For bosses though, I would probably recommond getting a rifle for them.

Thing is, don't think you'll be using just one weapon as a Ranger. I have a few friends that are rangers and they carry around like 6+ guns and use them all. Since I'm sure we're all aware of how just some stuff on A refuses to die.

AC9breaker
Nov 18, 2006, 10:48 AM
Bows outdamage Rifle but have a slow setup firing rate. Unlike Rifle is is good for run and hit tactics. Dualies have obviously advantage of mobility and do alot of hits over time. The only Rifle that could compete with Bows in terms of damage are Tenora Work Rifles. You should choose on what you prefer to play. Dualies are like the daggers for ranged players, Rifle is the Spear, and Bow is the Sword.

DonRoyale
Nov 18, 2006, 11:12 AM
I say Twin Handguns because Ranger's best with afflicting statuses.

However, I voted Bows because I love them =D

Itsuki
Nov 18, 2006, 12:03 PM
The only Rifle that could compete with Bows in terms of damage are Tenora Work Rifles.
Tenora doesn't make rifles.

AC9breaker
Nov 18, 2006, 12:10 PM
Thats the whole point!

Dusk21
Nov 18, 2006, 01:27 PM
Bows have an awful firing rate, and on a force will never outdamage a ranger with a rifle. On guntecher they possibly might because guntecher doesn't get S in rifles (or bows either for that matter) so they have an even field. Rifles apply SEs a decent bit better than bows, however, due to the difference in firing rate. For anyone planning on going forte this is a moot point though.

As for duals they handily outdamage both rifles and bows easily, great at SE application however their SEs aren't quite as potent and they can't SE large enemies/bosses. Also they rip through ammo like nobodies business (though not as stupifyingly fast as machineguns).

Shotguns are still my favorite weapon (even moreso now that I have a prime target for my plasma spread - those darn earth worms). Even better damage now with 5* definitely surpassing all the rest of my weapons in damage if used correctly, and still unground. Just thought I'd throw this in here extra http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif.

SoiFong
Nov 18, 2006, 01:30 PM
I really like bows.. the LOOK cool ... and it gives a force an alternative weapon to use instead of the same old gun/wand or rod combo. I like it, and some bows are very powerful.

Eternal_Drake
Nov 18, 2006, 01:38 PM
I just use both twins and rifle [Arb Biga + 4 & Vullseye +5], Twin Burn and Frozen/Plasma shot. The twins run out of pp relatively quick and my twin burn is only level 4 or so but it does have very nice damage output. My shotgun will also be a beast once I buy a Shigga Amza and grind it, level 15 Barada Riga http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Reeve
Nov 18, 2006, 02:28 PM
why do people always say dualies run out of pp quick, they certainly dont run out any faster than my rifle, they have less pp, same pp regen and have (imo) a slighltly slower firing rate(2 handgun bullets per rifle bullet)