PDA

View Full Version : phantasy star handheldgame

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 01:36 AM
i saw a post earlier thathad a link to youtube, and it was a little 3 or 4 min preview of a pso or psu game, on a handheld(like game boy or DS or something), i cant find it now, does anyone hav that link??

Nia
Nov 18, 2006, 03:02 AM
never seen it, but I always thought PSO on DS would be pretty cool. Touch screen inventory would be sweet!

DoubleJG
Nov 18, 2006, 03:27 AM
Post the link and then I'll believe you.

Kalier
Nov 18, 2006, 04:27 AM
a while back there was word that there was possibly PSO coming out for the nintendo DS. i do not believe there was ever any official word on it, and haven't seen anything on it since.

Sinue_v2
Nov 18, 2006, 07:17 AM
Sorry, but there's no way in hell you're going to be able to fit PSO in any current form on the DS. it's just too underpowered. If they did try to make it fit, what you would end up with was a watered down and reduced graphics version of the same damn thing you've been playing for the past 5 years.

Yuji Naka said that there was talk of perhaps a PSP port, since the PSP is capable of handling PSO (aside from reduced resolution) fairly well. Howeever I don't think anything has come of that, or will.

Sinue_v2
Nov 18, 2006, 07:18 AM
Sorry, but there's no way in hell you're going to be able to fit PSO in any current form on the DS. it's just too underpowered. If they did try to make it fit, what you would end up with was a watered down and reduced graphics version of the same damn thing you've been playing for the past 5 years.

Yuji Naka said that there was talk of perhaps a PSP port, since the PSP is capable of handling PSO (aside from reduced resolution) fairly well. Howeever I don't think anything has come of that, or will.

Rizen
Nov 18, 2006, 07:29 AM
Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if there was some type of PSO on the DS. You give DS little too credit. PSO on DC wasnt big on graphics...and I dare say the DC didnt have better graphics than the N64, and DS pretty much has N64 graphics.

Thrash777
Nov 18, 2006, 08:52 AM
The DC had more power than N64 by far!

Sinue_v2
Nov 18, 2006, 09:09 AM
and I dare say the DC didnt have better graphics than the N64

You're silly.

You don't REALLY want me to pull up spec sheets do you? You do realize that in certain areas, even the Sega Saturn was more powerful than the N64 right?

Even were that the case, you're not taking into account the expanded graphics of the GameCube version. Though it wasn't a HUGE leap (they obviously didn't overhaul the entire game engine), it did push the graphics farther than they were capable of on the DC. Blue Burst pushed the graphics envelope even further.

You really want PSO on the DS so bad that you'd be willing to settle for a gimped out half-assed port of v.2? Oookay... so much for progress. Isn't PSU currently getting thrashed in the press for not improving ENOUGh over PSO, and now you want to backpedal for the sake of portability?

Now... a PSO-esque SIDE game for the DS, I could understand people wanting. At least that would be something new and creative - rather than just a port of a rehash from five years ago.

Callous
Nov 18, 2006, 09:38 AM
Maybe what you saw was the ancient GameGear Phantasy Star Gaiden.

And the person who said the N64 is as powerful as the DC has a lot of reading to do. Glasses would likely help, too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Callous on 2006-11-18 08:20 ]</font>

natewifi
Nov 18, 2006, 09:58 AM
thers gonna be a handheld thats a xbox portable i might come out on that

Arias
Nov 18, 2006, 10:11 AM
I think we'd better wait for the next-gen handhelds for a handheld PSO/PSU game

Kent
Nov 18, 2006, 10:41 AM
You guys are getting too antsy about graphics here. Have you seen Metroid Prime Hunters, or Final Fantasy III on the DS?

Sure, it's not as good as some of the stuff the Dreamcast could push out (at the very least, it can best the N64), but it's nowhere near bad. I know I sure wouldn't mind playing a Phantasy Star game, in lieu of PSO/PSU, that looked as good as either of those. It'd just be one more reason to never leave home without my DS. :/

Not to mention, the whole idea of being able to whip out the stylus and use the touchscreen for menus, would be really nice (and wouldn't require three hands)... Or just leave the thumbstrap equipped, and touch whatever menu item with your thumb.

SwiftMetal
Nov 18, 2006, 11:05 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007B77H?tag=pcvsconsol-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B00007B77H&adid=1KQRH873TP0ZSP0FSMQG&

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

mech259_
Nov 18, 2006, 12:02 PM
I had a dream once where I had PSO for the DS.

Uyoku
Nov 18, 2006, 12:43 PM
That would be cool, but I do doubt it will happen. The closest I can see happening would be a single player RPG, but nothing online and it would be different for sure from the usual. Regardless, a new Phantasy Star for a handheld would be nice, it wouldn't be nearly as graphic as PSU or even PSO though that is for certain.

Choja
Nov 18, 2006, 01:05 PM
Say, who said it was an "Online" game? It could be like Phantasy Star 5 or something, maybe. The good ol' days... wait, I didn't play a Phantasy Star game yet. x_x
...Yeah, what Uyoku said.

Razorback
Nov 18, 2006, 01:07 PM
Well i could say "hey PSU is going to be on PS3" at least 1 person would belive me

Wrenlocke
Nov 18, 2006, 01:30 PM
I don't really give a frak about PSO on any handheld.. I JUST WANT A GOOD CLASSIC PHANTASY STAR AGAIN. phantasy star 4.. hmmmmmm

CaptainJebus
Nov 18, 2006, 02:32 PM
I remember when the Pso on the DS crap was said. I accually bought a DS on release to get it lol. Then when naka said it could be on the psp I got that also =/

etlitch
Nov 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
1. Run PSU with window mode
2. Click and drag/move the window when it's black right after the SEGA logo.
3. PSU HANDHELD?

Cojiro
Nov 18, 2006, 02:48 PM
PSO/PSU would SUCK for the DS like everything else does O_o I can't believe people acutally own that pile of...
Anyway, bias aside, I think it'd be horrible. I don't doubt that it could run on PSP though...

Deprimenthia
Nov 18, 2006, 03:05 PM
Lawl. Pile of crap? Im not getting into that...

Anywho. It WAS called Project Rub if I remember right. I doubt that they will ever make it official, though, considering this was announced a few years back.

AvianKaitos
Nov 18, 2006, 03:14 PM
On 2006-11-17 22:36, Guitarsmasher wrote:
i saw a post earlier thathad a link to youtube, and it was a little 3 or 4 min preview of a pso or psu game, on a handheld(like game boy or DS or something), i cant find it now, does anyone hav that link??

Maybe you were confusing it with Monster Hunter for the PSP.

Nia
Nov 18, 2006, 03:17 PM
Quote:
"PSO/PSU would SUCK for the DS like everything else does O_o I can't believe people acutally own that pile of... "

Wait ley me finish:

pile of...

...genius
...sexy plastic
...PSP killer
...fastest selling system in history

sorry, had to go there...

AAAAANNNNYYYY how. I understand people who say "why play it on DS if I have a better version on console/PC" but then wouldn't that argument hold up for EVERY game on a handheld? Why play any game on a hand held then?! BECAUSE YOU WANT TO PLAY GAMES ON ROAD TRIPS, AT SCHOOL, AT WORK, WHEREVER! whew...

Cojiro
Nov 18, 2006, 03:23 PM
It's a horrible console design. It looks lovley when it's closed. A white DS lite looks yummy. It's the touch pad I had a huge problem with it. It's just...a bad bad idea, if you ask me. I don't like using it at all.
I've nothing against Nintendo, don't get me wrong. I just lost all faith after the DS. The Wii looks even worse. I can't imagen ever using one for long and even if I did I'd get bored real quick. The games are all so...Augh. If you don't like new/rehashed incarnations of Mario or Zelda, there's no reason for you to ever own a DS or Wii, thus far.
(Except Shonen jump all stars, Metoes and electroplancton...)

Anyway, the console war has been done to death. So I'll shut up now. XD

Nia
Nov 18, 2006, 03:42 PM
AHHHH!!! Must.... defend..... DS...... Not....going to..... PSU..... topics..... only!
That's it, I'm going to go play Children of Mana after some Wi Fi Mario Kart, no wait Wi Fi Hunters, then FFIII, followed by Castlevania. OH I KNOW! Trauma center, then Dragon Quest:RS, then Sonic Rush, some Yoshi Tuch n Go, followed by Animal Crossing, Viewtiful Joe, then True Swing Golf, maybe some Nanostray, MP Pinball, gotta play some Advance Wars, Kirby Canvas Course, Elite Beat Agents, Phoenix Wright, Lost in Blue, Resident Evil, Meteos, New Super Mario

:::Head explodes from the greatness of the DS:::

Kalier
Nov 18, 2006, 03:43 PM
there's actually quite a few DS games that only use the touch pad for menu navigation, which can be completetly done WITHOUT the touchpad as it is. i have 2 DS games, out of 7, that have to use the touch pad, Lost Magic, and Metroid Prime Hunters, both of which play better with the touch pad than they would have without.

Ryogen
Nov 18, 2006, 04:06 PM
There is going to be a Phantasy Star Collection for the PSP.

Cojiro
Nov 18, 2006, 04:07 PM
On 2006-11-18 12:42, Nia wrote:
AHHHH!!! Must.... defend..... DS...... Not....going to..... PSU..... topics..... only!
That's it, I'm going to go play Children of Mana after some Wi Fi Mario Kart, no wait Wi Fi Hunters, then FFIII, followed by Castlevania. OH I KNOW! Trauma center, then Dragon Quest:RS, then Sonic Rush, some Yoshi Tuch n Go, followed by Animal Crossing, Viewtiful Joe, then True Swing Golf, maybe some Nanostray, MP Pinball, gotta play some Advance Wars, Kirby Canvas Course, Elite Beat Agents, Phoenix Wright, Lost in Blue, Resident Evil, Meteos, New Super Mario

:::Head explodes from the greatness of the DS:::

It would appear that we have very diffrent tastes in games XD I like original games, but not the way Nintendo is doing them (Seemingly with whacky new ways to control games! Ugh.) Lumines, Katamari demacy, Every extend...that's the kinda stuff that floats my boat.

Anyway yes, PSU! PSU!..

Arislan
Nov 18, 2006, 04:52 PM
Please, remain on topic if you wish to keep this thread alive. And remember that our ToS disallows console wars, so keep that in mind when you are posting.

Just a note, if you're looking for "original" games, and you don't like that Nintendo doesn't do them/have them on the console, of those he listed Trauma Center, Elite Beat Agents, Phoenix Wright, and Meteos are all very original titles, and Nintendo produced at that.

On topic anyway, Project RUB was Rub Rabbits, or Feel the Magic, depending on US/JP release.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arislan on 2006-11-18 13:53 ]</font>

Ogni-XR21
Nov 18, 2006, 05:41 PM
Wouldn't PSO Episode III make much more sense on DS? This doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a real PSO on DS, even if it was only EP1.

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 07:44 PM
i posted a thread earlier about a phantasy star handheld game that i saw a video for a week ago or so. well, ima explain what i meant about this, with much more details. srry i didnt add details on the first thread, it was like 2AM http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. if you dont remember the first post or havent seen it yet, its right here http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=127258&forum=20&31 but anyways, here's some details of the game and everything i remember.....

1. its for a handheld system (couldnt be more obvious if you read thread name)
2. the system is most likely nintendo DS or game boy advance, and was definitely NOT FOR SEGA, it also was not PSO collections (im 100% positive about that)
3. i found the link to the video i saw about the game, on this site (PSOWORLD) about 1 week ago from today.
4. i found the video on youtube.
5. the graphics of the game were low and piecey, therefore, it is most likely not played on DS, but it is still a possibility (graphics are too low for PSP)
6. the game was not an adventuring RPG, altho, it was an RPG looking game (i guessed tht its an RPG since all phantasy star games are an RPG that we know of)
7. in the video, it showed clips of people vs. computer (could be pvp, but unlikely since graphics were low, and didnt seem able to go online)
8. it wasnt hunter/ranger/force vs monster, it was hunter/ranger/force vs hunter/ranger/force (i.e. lvl 43 hunter vs lvl 40 Force)
9. the fighting style was turn based
10. im almost positive i remember the date that the person uploaded the video onto youtube, it said "added october 8, 2006" (this date it was upload is NOT 100% ACCURATE, im going by memory) and i watched it earlier november.
11. once again, getting across that im positive that its NOT pso collections for sega game console.

i know its a long post, but i really hope you guys can help me! this game looks like itd kick so much @$$, especially since its not person vs. monster, and its hunter/ranger/force vs hunter/ranger/force!

ive looked in recent posts and cant find anything, and i searched on all search engines i know, and of course in youtube. if i missed anything and youre still not clear on something, tell me what it is, ill try to clear it up if i can http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif thanks!

Arislan
Nov 18, 2006, 07:48 PM
Please don't make a new thread on this, the older one works perfectly fine. Edit your original post with this information, post at the end of the other one for everyone to read your updated post, and you can continue using that thread without making a new one. It's hard enough with the traffic through here to keep hot threads on teh first page without duplicates throwing them off.

Thank you.

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 07:53 PM
srry guys, i didnt really explain a lot on this topic, i posted it last night at like 2AM, i was really tired, so i made a list that describes the game and i hope lets everyone understand the game im talking about more clearly.....

1. its for a handheld system (couldnt be more obvious if you read thread name)
2. the system is most likely nintendo DS or game boy advance, and was definitely NOT FOR SEGA, it also was not PSO collections (im 100% positive about that)
3. i found the link to the video i saw about the game, on this site (PSOWORLD) about 1 week ago from today.
4. i found the video on youtube.
5. the graphics of the game were low and piecey, therefore, it is most likely not played on DS, but it is still a possibility (graphics are too low for PSP)
6. the game was not an adventuring RPG, altho, it was an RPG looking game (i guessed tht its an RPG since all phantasy star games are an RPG that we know of)
7. in the video, it showed clips of people vs. computer (could be pvp, but unlikely since graphics were low, and didnt seem able to go online)
8. it wasnt hunter/ranger/force vs monster, it was hunter/ranger/force vs hunter/ranger/force (i.e. lvl 43 hunter vs lvl 40 Force)
9. the fighting style was turn based
10. im almost positive i remember the date that the person uploaded the video onto youtube, it said "added october 8, 2006" (this date it was upload is NOT 100% ACCURATE, im going by memory) and i watched it earlier november.
11. once again, getting across that im positive that its NOT pso collections for sega game console.

i know its a long post, but i really hope you guys can help me! this game looks like itd kick so much @$$, especially since its not person vs. monster, and its hunter/ranger/force vs hunter/ranger/force!

ive looked in recent posts and cant find anything, and i searched on all search engines i know, and of course in youtube. if i missed anything and youre still not clear on something, tell me what it is, ill try to clear it up if i can thanks!

BlindDraken
Nov 18, 2006, 08:09 PM
i think i found what you were talking about was it this? http://youtube.com/watch?v=_G41cNuP9po

Maskim
Nov 18, 2006, 08:13 PM
I'd play that, if I ever played a handheld system. Looks like it'd be fun for ds with the wifi.

BlindDraken
Nov 18, 2006, 08:14 PM
rofl

Callous
Nov 18, 2006, 08:34 PM
That looks real to me. If it's not, someone sure spent a lot of time on it. Not exactly the kind of PSO handheld game I've been hoping for, but I'd give it a shot. Looks very GBA.

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 08:40 PM
On 2006-11-18 17:09, BlindDraken wrote:
i think i found what you were talking about was it this? http://youtube.com/watch?v=_G41cNuP9po

holy crap you found it!!! thank you so much!! pandas are your reward! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/panda.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/pandaroll.gif

(and about the date i said it was uploaded onto youtube, got tht part wrong http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif )

Arislan
Nov 18, 2006, 08:44 PM
It's Super Robot Taisen for the GBA. Either someone took a lot of time on it, r else they took a lot of time creating a massive graphics and text hack fro the game. One of the two. And since I haven't seen a translation/hack release note anywhere, I'd guess the former. At the end of the video it states that it's a Super Robot Taisen Movie, btw, so it's not like they're trying to cover it up as a new game.

/edit fixed a couple spelling errors.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arislan on 2006-11-18 17:47 ]</font>

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 08:48 PM
lol, thanks, i thought it looked rather fishy, and sorry about making a new thread earlier about this same topic, i wasnt thinking about the traffic, ill regard it more in teh future

Arislan
Nov 18, 2006, 09:03 PM
S'alright, we were all newbies once. ^_^

Natasha_M
Nov 19, 2006, 12:18 AM
The DS would be cool, though as far as i know the DS is only slightly more powerful than N64.. and completly overshadow the PS1. However if intuitive controls are in play with online i don't really think graphics matter all that much i mean after all PSU was built on PS2 specs.. urgh... for our current console generation its the weakest but they did it anyway.

Mimiru69
Nov 19, 2006, 12:21 AM
I have the PS collection but im pretty sure their talking about PSO... but that might have been what you saw....

BlindDraken
Nov 19, 2006, 01:10 AM
Your very welcome ^_^ yay i got pandas

Sinue_v2
Nov 20, 2006, 05:54 AM
That video is a fake. A very good, but also very obvious fake at that, since the "PSO" character sprites are the same ones which people have been using for years now, some of which are even in use in this forum right now I'm sure.

I believe the Phantasy Star Cave has a page of icons like those as well.

Additionally, I would be lothe to believe something like this simply because it is completely unknown. Phantasy Star does have a very niche fanbase, but they are also very tenatious and ravenous for any new information concerning Phantasy Star. For example, look at the Phantasy Star IV illegal hack and port to the NES from Hong Kong. Most of the PS community has known about that one for years - and some even have the ROM available for download. Hell, we knew that Phantasy Star Universe was in the works since the launch of PSO v.2 for the Dreamcast, and we know about never-even-created Phantasy Star sequels & production settei that never made it into the games. (Phantasy Star: Return of Alis for the Mega Drive, and the rejected storyline of PSII for further example)

If anything... ANYTHING... had been said, released, or even hinted at - you can damned well be sure the PS/PSO/PSU community would be on top of it - and information readily available.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-11-20 03:17 ]</font>

Sydz
Nov 20, 2006, 06:43 AM
Jeez, I don't think ive seen a Suparobo game move that clunky since the Super Nintendo. Points for having a Mint jam song though.

Chimeria
Nov 20, 2006, 11:05 AM
On 2006-11-18 11:32, CaptainJebus wrote:
I remember when the Pso on the DS crap was said. I accually bought a DS on release to get it lol. Then when naka said it could be on the psp I got that also =/

Yeah, i bought a DS because of the fabled "PSO DS" that was mentioned. Now it's collecting dust in my closet somewhere...
If there was a PSO or PSU handheld, i'd rather it be released on the PSP. Much bigger screen and better graphics. T

Pure-chan
Nov 20, 2006, 11:28 AM
On 2006-11-18 17:09, BlindDraken wrote:

Fake, yes ...but I'd still play it! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 12:42 PM
I always thought that the PSP would be the ideal platform for a handheld version of PSO Blue Burst - modified for offline/wifi play. I don't think the DS, impressive though it is, could faithfully reproduce even the most basic PSO.

The PSP would not have a problem reproducing Blue Burst, because the game's files are not massive, the display resolution is resonably high enough for quality graphics, perfect sound and analog nub/d-pad combo http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Since PSP allows wireless networking, you could have free play with upto 3 friends with minimum lag, there could even be an online matching server put into place for a small fee where people without many friends can join games - maybe not as complex as the lobbies the original game had but something similar - meaning little upkeep needed by Sonic Team reducing costs.

With the release of PSU, the whole world is going Phantasy Star mad, and it seems unlike Sonic Team to introduce a new game in one of it's most popular franchises without a handheld equivalent that would do nothing but boost the popularity of Phantasy Star, make more money for SEGA and allow more people to enjoy the game.

However it would have to be a version of PSO - PSU is unfortunately far too large and resource demanding to be playable on the PSP http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Natasha_M
Nov 22, 2006, 09:14 PM
If its about graphics then PSP is the way to go. bar the loading times and short battery life.
The DS can offer the touch screen and double screen feature.
Both platforms have Wifi.
But i have seen some pretty impressive stuff done on DS. It depends if programers are lazy or not. EG. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDRZX5QYcmc

If they make a PSO portable i want it to be standalone and original and maybe feature some kind of hookup with the console version.

ShadowDragon28
Nov 22, 2006, 09:56 PM
That's was a great mock-up video. If there was a downloadable PSU mini-games for the DS AND the PSP I think it would be so cool.

Many RPG's Like PSU, could benefit from *downloadable* mini-games For the DS & the PSP to earn treasures, EXP, gold that can be transfered to the main RPG's Save Game to help level up characters or win special items or gold.

IMO It would/could make "grinding" a little less time consuming while playing the main RPG.

The only game right now that even remotely similar to PSU is "Children of Mana" but far more limited and there's no item/wep creation and no full-on custom character creation. I feels kind-of-like a "mini PSU."

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 22, 2006, 10:00 PM
On 2006-11-22 18:56, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
Many RPG's Like PSU, could benefit from *downloadable* mini-games For the DS & the PSP to earn treasures, EXP, gold that can be transfered to the main RPG's Save Game to help level up characters or win special items or gold.

A great idea in theory, but unfortunately one that's unlikely to happen - after all there would be nothing stopping people cheating on the downloaded minigames and uploading millions of hacked meseta and items back into the main game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Neoswayne
Nov 22, 2006, 10:14 PM
Wow thats an amazing dream I just wish it was true sigh that is one of my wishes too. I've loved pso for about 4 years now and it would be cool if it was for the ds but if you think about it there wouldn't be much choice in the game. For example the characters, weapons, levels, enemies, and battle system all put together take up a lot of memory so that means the customization and differentiation of the game would be much smaller. I just wish there were DS memorycards to use for extra space or something like a super game card. :'(

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neoswayne on 2006-11-22 19:17 ]</font>