PDA

View Full Version : music in PSU makes it not as memorable as PSO?

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 09:00 PM
this is just my opinion, but to me, music means a lot to me, it brings up memories and creates them too. to me, the songs or BGM dont really seem as memorable as the songs or BGM from PSO ep. 1+2 did. (never played psobb, so i dont know those songs/BGM). i especially loved the music in the ruins in PSO, and the BGM for the dragon in forest 2. the music in PSU isnt exactly as......catchy/unique/fast w/e you want to call it. to me, this is one of those things "that are missing" from PSU.

Randomness
Nov 18, 2006, 09:02 PM
Play the Mellvore level.

HiKeRI
Nov 18, 2006, 09:03 PM
Music just activates the gameplay's feeling while playing the game apart from that aslong as i mess around PSU it'll be considered as a memory.

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 09:06 PM
o yea, itll definitely be a memory for me too, no doubts, i was just saying i missed the old music http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif , but still to me, this game kicks @$$ beyond belief

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 09:07 PM
On 2006-11-18 18:02, Randomness wrote:
Play the Mellvore level.

what planet is that on??

Randomness
Nov 18, 2006, 09:10 PM
Parum, Mad Creatures>Plains Overlord>The Mad Beasts>Endrum Remnants

Celestial
Nov 18, 2006, 09:28 PM
the music in PSU seems almost the same as PSO's so to me it doesnt make a difference

VanHalen
Nov 18, 2006, 09:33 PM
dude the game just F*&$ing came out how can the music be memeorable already wait a year before posting a topic like this

Aaron777
Nov 18, 2006, 09:34 PM
yeah...mellvore...yeah

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 09:42 PM
On 2006-11-18 18:33, VanHalen wrote:
dude the game just F*&$ing came out how can the music be memeorable already wait a year before posting a topic like this

haha, i see, using profanity to sound more sophisticated! its so clear now! (dont post anything here if it doesnt contribute actual help to me)

SolRiver
Nov 18, 2006, 09:43 PM
Music bring in mood for the battle, and thus possibily more memorable if the right thought was triggered.

VanHalen
Nov 18, 2006, 09:44 PM
On 2006-11-18 18:42, Guitarsmasher wrote:

haha, i see, using profanity to sound more sophisticated! its so clear now! (dont post anything here if it doesnt contribute actual help to me)

i am helping you this game was just released last month. im sure you find PSO music memeorable because its been out for a long time now saying PSU music isnt memeorable when it just came out is very smart

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 09:46 PM
yea exactly! im not saying only music create memories too, lotsa other stuff in PSU/PSO does too! like courses, monsters weapons etc., just that music makes the moment more memorable if you liked it. wow, im really glad that ppl agree with me (for the most part) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/panda.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/panda.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/panda.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guitarsmasher on 2006-11-18 18:47 ]</font>

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 09:49 PM
On 2006-11-18 18:44, VanHalen wrote:

i am helping you this game was just released last month. im sure you find PSO music memeorable because its been out for a long time now saying PSU music isnt memeorable when it just came out is very smart

yea i know dont worry, i know tht its not memorable right now, i just know that the music in pso helped memories be created. plus, i didnt get to do all of the new missions yet, so ima go check those out now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

VanHalen
Nov 18, 2006, 09:53 PM
On 2006-11-18 18:49, Guitarsmasher wrote:

On 2006-11-18 18:44, VanHalen wrote:

yea i know dont worry, i know tht its not memorable right now, i just know that the music in pso helped memories be created. plus, i didnt get to do all of the new missions yet, so ima go check those out now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

well ok http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif sorry to get mad like that anyway the raffon fields song rocks i sing it in my head sometimes lol

ZodiacNKnight
Nov 18, 2006, 09:54 PM
PSO has a very superb soundtrack.
Many ambient songs such as the Forest, caves, mines... etc will never be forgotten...
I knew it would be very hard for PSU to live up to its predecessor in music, so I didn't set my expectations too high in that area.

Some of the music is alright in some levels actually...
The first level is pretty good for a basic training level music. (Looks a lot like PSO ruins being created)

I would say that the music for the ice levels (http://zeta.bluelaguna.net/phantasy-star-universe-ost-soundtrack//311%20Contamination%20-%20Ice%20-.mp3) are very good too in PSU. Little eerie and has a serious attitude to it, with a feeling that the ice isn't natural.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2006-11-18 19:02 ]</font>

Long-Awaited
Nov 18, 2006, 10:09 PM
I will never forget the music in PSO. But its a little different for PSU...

Para
Nov 18, 2006, 10:11 PM
I really love the music from PSO. PSO made me a big fan of Hideaki and Fumie's works.

I can atest to some works from PSU that are quite exceptional but some of the songs lack the PSO charm which disappoint me.

Mwabwetumba
Nov 18, 2006, 10:11 PM
Different kinds of music, different kinds of themes, different kinds of joy^^

Genobee
Nov 18, 2006, 10:14 PM
I like the music in PSU, I actualt hated the music in PSO... it was just crappy midish techno. There is only like 2 songs I actualy like. Burning Rangers and Versus Trick Track.

ProfessorZ
Nov 18, 2006, 10:22 PM
Moatoab has the best soundtrack nuff said

Parn
Nov 18, 2006, 10:28 PM
PSU's music fits the theme the game carries. PSO had the element of mystery attached to it, so its music was a lot more ambient. PSU has the element of adventure attached to it, so its music is more upbeat.

AkiraXxx
Nov 18, 2006, 10:28 PM
Maotob probably will be the most memoriable. For its music, and plus it reminds me of the desert in FF7 for some reason. I think they shoulda added some dust blowing to maotob to give it more of that desert canyon feel.

Ryralane
Nov 18, 2006, 10:39 PM

You know, if you ask everyones' opinions, there are going to be some people who don't agree with you. By asking, you invite opinions that do not help you. Simple as that.

With that aside, I think that music does play some part in memories (in fact, I was singing the PSO theme in my head this morning), but it's not the deciding factor. I can't say anything about PSU's music because I won't be getting the game in until Tuesday, so I won't.

Dhylec
Nov 18, 2006, 10:45 PM
PSO's music was listenable, specially the opening & the ending. Overall, PSU's tracks are more enjoyable. I have yet to dislike any.

Guitarsmasher
Nov 18, 2006, 11:03 PM
On 2006-11-18 19:39, Ryralane wrote:

You know, if you ask everyones' opinions, there are going to be some people who don't agree with you. By asking, you invite opinions that do not help you. Simple as that.

With that aside, I think that music does play some part in memories (in fact, I was singing the PSO theme in my head this morning), but it's not the deciding factor. I can't say anything about PSU's music because I won't be getting the game in until Tuesday, so I won't.

oh i know ill get replies that dont help me at all, i was really aiming towards atitude wise. when people reply to my posts swearing and mad and stuff, that doesnt help anyone. plus, no ones wants people to get mad at them just because of a post, its just an opinion, not a law. but otherwise, i actually like off-topic replies sometimes to SPICE things up a bit! (unless i really need info a.s.a.p.)

but besides that, im not saying the music in psu is horrible, i love it too, trust me, just that....when i played pso...from the first day, i knew id have awesome memories of the game, and on psu, same thing, but these memories give me a different feeling than pso memories did. but, idk the psu memories yet since ive only been playing it for a month, well see what happens

VanHalen
Nov 18, 2006, 11:14 PM
On 2006-11-18 20:03, Guitarsmasher wrote:

oh i know ill get replies that dont help me at all, i was really aiming towards atitude wise. when people reply to my posts swearing and mad and stuff, that doesnt help anyone. plus, no ones wants people to get mad at them just because of a post, its just an opinion, not a law. but otherwise, i actually like off-topic replies sometimes to SPICE things up a bit! (unless i really need info a.s.a.p.)

but besides that, im not saying the music in psu is horrible, i love it too, trust me, just that....when i played pso...from the first day, i knew id have awesome memories of the game, and on psu, same thing, but these memories give me a different feeling than pso memories did. but, idk the psu memories yet since ive only been playing it for a month, well see what happens

hey im sorry for cursing like that i guess i kinda got a little mad cause i thought it was another topic bashing this game. and i like the fact that someone and others like the music(and me of course) of this game since the reviewers dont so basically im apoligizing for what i said before

Pikku
Nov 18, 2006, 11:49 PM
Colony Lobby Music (Before I got the game and listened to the CD) gave me that Pioneer 2 Feeling.
Linear Line Missions reminds me of Ruins III remixed in a way.
Other than that everything else either sound like something from Goemon, Sonic Adventure I, or Smash Brothers Melee.

ZodiacNKnight
Nov 19, 2006, 12:03 AM

Take into consideration that you will be comparing based on previous content. If you have never played PSO before then you're going to have a very different experience than someone who did play PSO. It's all about perception. PSO veterans have an idea of what to expect when it comes to the fundamentals of PSU. They will not be able to experience PSU like they did when they first played PSO. This same exact effect applies to any game that has a sequel/second product.

Guitarsmasher
Nov 19, 2006, 12:04 AM
On 2006-11-18 20:14, VanHalen wrote:

hey im sorry for cursing like that i guess i kinda got a little mad cause i thought it was another topic bashing this game. and i like the fact that someone and others like the music(and me of course) of this game since the reviewers dont so basically im apoligizing for what i said before

hey mang, no problem at all, i understand, you mightve been having an off day, so no problem! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif and no, im not dising the game (or atleast im not trying to), i do love the music, it definitely is a different kind of music compared to PSO (thats just what i think), but i love both kinds really, im just wondering if ill get the same good memories of psu in teh future, seems like i will. oh, and you are right, i wont know what the memories will be, until the future http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif so panda for you! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/panda.gif

GeoHolyhart
Nov 19, 2006, 12:08 AM
On 2006-11-18 19:28, Parn wrote:
PSU's music fits the theme the game carries. PSO had the element of mystery attached to it, so its music was a lot more ambient. PSU has the element of adventure attached to it, so its music is more upbeat.

Agreed. Though I didn't like the main theme at first, but it grew on me.

From a critics point of view though, both PSO and PSU had mediocre OSTs. They fit the game well, but did solely that. It's certainly no Silent Hill 2, FFVII, Star Ocean 2, but then again those are masterpieces.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GeoHolyhart on 2006-11-18 21:11 ]</font>

Guitarsmasher
Nov 19, 2006, 12:14 AM
On 2006-11-18 21:03, ZodiacNKnight wrote:

Take into consideration that you will be comparing based on previous content. If you have never played PSO before then you're going to have a very different experience than someone who did play PSO. It's all about perception. PSO veterans have an idea of what to expect when it comes to the fundamentals of PSU. They will not be able to experience PSU like they did when they first played PSO. This same exact effect applies to any game that has a sequel/second product.

yea, i can completely understand that. i am a huge pso fan, trust me, but i havent been one since the very first phantasy star game. the first one i played was PSO epi 1+2 on GC. at first when i got that, i actually hated the game (because friken boomas were pwning my butt), but then......i got a HANDGUN *light shines down on me*, and ever since then, phantasy star has been my most favorite game ive ever played. i dont think im the very biggest fan out there (theres always someone more hardxcore of a fan than you), but ima big one. so with that said, PSO being the first phantasy star game ive played, it will always be first to me. but still, psu is AMAZING

VanHalen
Nov 19, 2006, 12:17 AM
On 2006-11-18 21:04, Guitarsmasher wrote:

On 2006-11-18 20:14, VanHalen wrote:

hey mang, no problem at all, i understand, you mightve been having an off day, so no problem! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif and no, im not dising the game (or atleast im not trying to), i do love the music, it definitely is a different kind of music compared to PSO (thats just what i think), but i love both kinds really, im just wondering if ill get the same good memories of psu in teh future, seems like i will. oh, and you are right, i wont know what the memories will be, until the future http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif so panda for you! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/panda.gif

thanks man glad you enjoy this game too and thanks for the panda http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Strideryoko
Nov 24, 2006, 03:31 AM
I actually like the upbeat nature in the PSU's music. Its also more polished and takes less of a back seat.

PSO Music: I only played ep I & II and from what I heard there was a lot of good stuff in it but I really only enjoyed 4 tracks. Mother Earth of Dishonesty part 1, The Jungle, and the boss music for the 2ng boss, the one you fight on the raft, and The character creation music.

my least favorite are Mines and Caves. For the most part, whenever I played those levels I wanted to fall asleep because the music was so boring and uneventful.

PSU Music: The really isn't anything here I don't like. I often find myself huming the melodies along while playing the game. So far my favorites are the Neudaiz missions and Parum Missions.

Also just to mention The colony missions share some of the same stuff from PSO there are about 8 measures of music that are rearranged from Mother earth of Dishonesty part 1.

Wallin
Nov 24, 2006, 03:42 AM
I have to say that I don't remember a majority of the music. Especially when I played in the beta, most of the time I would be running around when it would suddenly dawn on me, "Oh, there's music playing..."

There are certain chords I can remember in certain areas, particularly on the outdoor Parum missions, and now one of the ones in Moatoob, but besides that they are all rather unappealing or seemingly repetitive. I also enjoy the music playing in "My Room".

I miss all the boss music from PSO, especially De Rol Le and Vol Opt. Even the dragon one I remember. I also actually miss the song on the character select screen from PSO, and prefer it to the new PSU one. Pioneer 2's music and the shops were a bit annoying after hearing them for so long, but I remember them vividly as well.

Cross
Nov 24, 2006, 03:43 AM
PSO's music was really good at making me sleepy, mostly. Of course, that might just be because it's forever associated with the combat system in my mind, and PSO was so slow and rhythmic to play that it's no wonder you'd get a bit tired after a while.

I definitely prefer PSUs music. I find it a lot more reminiscent of the older PS games.

Azure247
Nov 24, 2006, 04:32 AM
I miss PSO. Why cant ST make an updated PSO game where the classes and races look like how they do in the anime art drawings. That would be awesome.

Neith
Nov 24, 2006, 06:56 AM
Adahna Degahna theme. Enough said.

Edit: Oh, and Agata RELICS music.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2006-11-24 06:02 ]</font>

Shaidar
Nov 24, 2006, 07:22 AM
Good ol PSO had a bunch of nice tunes, even tho I wouldn't say it has the greatest soundtrack ever. Especially Ruins and the two Olga Flow themes were really nice.

In my opinion Phantasy Star IV had the best music out of any game in the series though. So many catchy tunes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shaidar on 2006-11-24 04:22 ]</font>

Sexy_Raine
Nov 24, 2006, 07:44 AM
I loved PSO's music. PSU's music is good, but not as good as PSO's overall. The Parum relics music is horrible. Moatoob has awesome music though.

XCOPY
Nov 24, 2006, 08:08 AM
PSU has memorable tracks for me as well. The ending chapter theme in Story mode was quite nice....at least until it changes later on. I speak of the first chapter-ender, with the woman singing. It has this classy, elegant sound.....kind of on the same page with some of the stuff in the "Big O" soundtrack. It also works as the "Ethan & Karren" theme, imo. The chapter end theme that starts later on in Story, though....that kind of sucks...it almost sounds like a horrible mixture of Japanese pop music and gospel....yuck.

The intro is wonderful...as others said, it fits the overall theme perfectly. My other favorite is on Parum, in those forest areas....sometimes this one just randomly pops into my head when I'm at work, or at a store, eating, taking a piss/dump, daydreaming, etc. etc. It's the most memorable "battle theme" in the game so far, imo.

*I do miss the jazzy sound of Pioneer 2 though....I might play to the PSO themes one day just to see how that works. heh, 360 custom soundtracks = win.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XCOPY on 2006-11-24 05:10 ]</font>

Kanore
Nov 24, 2006, 09:13 AM
I have all the music from episode 1 to 3 on my iTunes and crank them up whenever I want to hear some of that good old-fashioned PSO music.

Episode 3 music blows though.

Genobee
Nov 24, 2006, 02:04 PM
I like PSU's music but I think the opening song realy realy sucks, it realy doesn't fit the game and it sounds liek she doesn't know what the hell she's singging, which is true, if you read the interveiw with the singer, they handed her some lyrics and told her to sing.... yea it's sounds awful.

Collar
Nov 24, 2006, 02:11 PM
"I loved Trick Track from PSO the most, I'd say. Well, about equal to the ending theme from Episode I. I also loved the remixed version of 'Let The Winds Blow' from Episode III's opening.

That being said, imo, the Neudaiz theme is top on my list. Catchy little tune. It's one of the driving factors that keeps me going back to try and find the most effective way to kill those freaking worms.

Pure-chan
Nov 24, 2006, 02:12 PM
"music/BGM is a big factor for good memories"

*sets bgm to zero and starts up iTunes* BGwha..? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Guitarsmasher
Nov 24, 2006, 03:26 PM
correction: i forgot to say tht the BGM tht i like the most on PSU right now is the BGM on the shikon island missions on neudaiz (srry, i forgot teh mission name). idk why, but i LOVE tht BGM so much, if anyone could post a link to where i can download it, or even just hear it, plz do! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ryogen
Nov 24, 2006, 03:58 PM
What makes somthing memerable is when you hear it long enough to make it memerable. All music in Phantasy Star has the same type of elemet, but a different tune. So after a year you will find the music in the game pretty classic. Espically Relics run.

Blueblur
Nov 24, 2006, 06:43 PM
My opinion is the music in PSU sucks. A couple of tracks stand out, but its mostly rubbish.

Lavernius
Nov 24, 2006, 06:55 PM
I don't like the cut scene music that much but the level music is perfect: it fits right with the mood of each level. (Relics music: mysterious, Lab music: technoish, Moatoob: just like a desert, etc.)