PDA

View Full Version : PSU Sales Figures?

happy_cricket
Nov 19, 2006, 04:32 PM
Are these posted online anywhere? I hope it's selling good.....

VelosofLight
Nov 19, 2006, 11:14 PM
WELL! You hope it's selling WELL!

Great, your grammar has just cost Sega a hundred grand in sales!

Garnet_Moon
Nov 19, 2006, 11:16 PM
Whatever it is, it's better than the PS3. They had to drop the price to $300 in Japan to get that sucker to sell.

VelosofLight
Nov 19, 2006, 11:24 PM
I'm encouraging my cheap friends to torrent the PC version. Really, since the game doesn't have a CD key, I think Sega WANTS people to torrent it, since they still need to pay to play it online. I bought my copy though, and for anyone who's not a total stingy bastard or doesn't have a good enough computer and would prefer to play on PS2, pay the damn $50.

The 360 version is dead to me.

StillOffline
Nov 19, 2006, 11:50 PM
yeah, half the people that i know playing it torrented it, whereas I went to wal mart at midnightish the day it came out, then gamestop, best buy, walmart the next day, and the last day i went to gamestop first and they had it. oh well i was impatient so sue me haha

Killuminati
Nov 20, 2006, 12:02 AM
On 2006-11-19 20:24, VelosofLight wrote:
I'm encouraging my cheap friends to torrent the PC version. Really, since the game doesn't have a CD key, I think Sega WANTS people to torrent it, since they still need to pay to play it online. I bought my copy though, and for anyone who's not a total stingy bastard or doesn't have a good enough computer and would prefer to play on PS2, pay the damn $50.

I dont think Sega wanted people to torretn it that's just dumb they loose out ojn money. PC version looks like it's dying as only universe 1 is ever full now even on saturdays.

VelosofLight
Nov 20, 2006, 12:05 AM
-shrugs- I always manage to find groups of people to sit and chat with. If the servers are emptying out, we're just losing the idiots who can't keep up.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 12:12 AM
You might have a point here about the torrent thing. I paid a fortune for my import copy only to find out that I couldn't go online with my Euro card yet and have to wait until the 27th, but you're right - no cd key, disk doesn't need to remain in the CD drive - I can't find any reason whatsoever how I'm better off than those folks that are downloading it other than having the manual.

In an age where nearly every game released for PC has at least some form of copy protection, it's shocking to discover that PSU has NONE. I even bought a game a year or two ago (Myst 5 End of Ages) which had such complex protection I couldn't play it because the protection was incompatible with my drive!

It it as you say, almost as if SEGA took us all for mugs and are DEPENDING on folks to torrent this game to hell and back. Yes they would like to make an extra one-time £30 of as many people as they can, but the big money spinner in Phantasy Star online games is the Hunters/Guardian's Licence you pay for monthly to play online.

This is almost like all those places where you can pick up a mobile phone for less than £10 but then rely on subscriptions to make money.

Of course I'm not agreeing with piracy, it's illegal and even in this case I think it's a tad unfair for PC users to be able to get a game for free when it's not quite so easy for the folks with PS2 and XBox360 but there's definately a marketing advantage here as far as SEGA is concerned, and it's only natural for folks to speculate...

Garnet_Moon
Nov 20, 2006, 12:13 AM
On 2006-11-19 21:02, Killuminati wrote:

I dont think Sega wanted people to torretn it that's just dumb they loose out ojn money. PC version looks like it's dying as only universe 1 is ever full now even on saturdays.

I'd like to pretend this is because people care more about going out of town to visit relatives during holidays, and not because the game is awful or something.

VelosofLight
Nov 20, 2006, 12:15 AM
How much does it cost them to print, package, and ship each individual hard-copy of the game anyway, and factoring in that the price is jacked up by retailers and Sega doesn't get really all that much of the profit, how much would they lose per-player if the game were just torrented?

MaKaVeLi_X
Nov 20, 2006, 01:59 AM
On 2006-11-19 21:02, Killuminati wrote:

... I was just on Sunday night at 11:30 and Uni one and 2 are full.