PDA

View Full Version : Economy?

DurakkenX
Nov 19, 2006, 04:45 PM
ok so i've been playing the NA game for about a week or so now and I've noticed that for some strange reason people think it's ok to place items in their shops at above NPC shop prices. I've also heard of people complaining about A-rank weapons and such which are of no use and also way over priced. Worse yet is that people are going from store to store to define a price without realizing what the value of this or that item really is. Sure you can say that it's relative to the buyer/seller but anytime you can construct and item in game and you have set in stone variables it's very easy to set a base line price on things.

The first arguement anyone will give to this forumla that i am about to present will be either one of 2 things.
#1 if i have lvled my PM my success rate is different
#2 some things are not in the store so it's impossable to figure out price.

#1 is easy to answer. The base line success rate is based off an unleveled PM (data that is mostly unknown because noone has done the math to figure it out on most things) and the fact that your PM is lvled means that any resulting successes allows you to have a higher profit margin or cut prices to be able to sell easier.

#2 is a bit harder to answer because it requires a bit of research on the part of the buyer/seller, but this is the asnwer. If you look at the items and their star lvls almost every item has a pattern of increasing value whether it be 2x or some off number there is a multiplier or added number. There is one or two that are not so simple but i would take it that you have a brain to figure out a decent price based on the pattern set before you and not some hideously outrageous number. Also if you get materials cheaper than in store that heightens your profit margin.

So what's the formula?

First thing to take into account is material cost. Take into acount all the NPC prices (or NPC paterned prices)of each item. Add them up and that is your first base price.

Next thing to consider is star lvl or rarity. Either way this should be calculated on a % of the material cost. for me i say stick with an easy number like 10% and add that to the material cost. So if my materials cost 100 and it's a 1 star item it becomes 110.

After that comes success rate and chances of having a positive outcome from a single board. So if you have a 50% success rate you have a a 50% lost rate which should be made up by the others that are succesful. since a 50% would be a bit confusing during explanation we'll say the board has a 60% sucess rate and is a 5/5 board. this means that if you had 2 boards out of the 10 tries you had you would be successful 6/10 times or if like in this example we have a 5/5 you have 3successful and 2 failures. Like before we consider material cost and success rate and divide the posable loses into the successes. which in this case is 200/3 = 66. We then add that onto our previous cost of 110 to make it 176...

After this if it is an item with elemental properties you then factor in the elemental %. Which i say should be 10% to every 5% of elemental property rounded to the nearest 5, 3+ round up, 2- round down. Using the previous number we have and lets say we have a 20% elemental property we would then have 264 as a baseline price for this item.

or if you wish to jusst input numbers into a formula

[(M + R) + (M*F/S)] * [(E*2)+1] = B

M = Materials
R = Rarity (star lvl)
F = Failure Rate (100 minus success rate)
S = Success Rate
E = Elemental Property (the +1 is because the number from the element is actually a decimal and it's just easier to write than another way...but harder to understand probably)
B = base price

if the elemental part messes you up... follow this
[(M + R) + (M*F/S)] = X
([X*(E*2)]/100)+X = B

Both of those are the same for the most part but the second takes into account that you prolly aren't converting the element into a decimal. if you get a high number it's prolly because of that.

Remember that these a based on the base values unaltered by luck or PM lvl. If either of those are higher 0 then and you do this forumla your base price will be less than someone's who has base lines. This being said as it was before this means you can sell for a better profit or a lower price and make the same profit. For buyers this means if you enter this formula and it's lower than the answer you got a great deal. If it's higher you may still have a great deal based on the worth you place on the item, but at least you know how much you are getting robbed ^.^

P.S. any add-end-ums or corrections to my mathematics please post as I am not real big on math, but i'm positive i got the equation right (or understandable to those who aren't good at math) I'll be checking back with this in a few days so if there are any corrections or such or if you can post examples of actual numbers to work from that would be great.

Sychosis
Nov 19, 2006, 04:49 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

SoiFong
Nov 19, 2006, 04:52 PM
You know i had to read this 3 TIMES.. Your equarion is sound at first glance .. im gonna steal it and test it later.. then come back later on, with my views on it.

Randomness
Nov 19, 2006, 05:04 PM
I'm fairly sure theres holes in this, but I don't feel like looking for them.

Choja
Nov 19, 2006, 05:06 PM
It's considered algebra used in complicated terms. It's great now that we have a formula to base synthed non-storesold weapons, since people usually overprice them but half the people wouldn't even want to try and get through with the process for ALL the weapons they're selling. Still amazing though that you went through that research. Good job there.

Note: What's tldr?

AC9breaker
Nov 19, 2006, 05:09 PM
it stands for, too long didnt read.

ironically though, I did read it. Solid info, and Durakken deserves a star or something for doing the math. Good Stuff.

DurakkenX
Nov 19, 2006, 05:09 PM
well on the plus side if people posted base line percents for success rate all the equation would be fairly simple to figure out as after that it is elemental based and so you could easilly create an unchanging list for most items.

BloodDragoon
Nov 19, 2006, 05:37 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=125538&forum=22&9
Please scroll to the second post made by Itsuki-chan that shows NPC prices by rarity on the JP servers.

If more people used this there would be alot less overpricing issues in player shops.

For weapons in general NPC price - cost of materials = profit margin.

Unfortunately for armor synthisizers the cost of buying said materials will almost always exceed the prices listed on this price chart which leaves the profit margin for making it up to either finding the materials for the synthesis or making high elemental resistance% armors that people are willing to pay much more than NPC price for. The other hinderance to this is armor itself has a low success % to begin with and it doesn't increase a huge amount with a pure armor PM.

In the end its all common sense. Trying to overcharge on mundane items that players can buy from NPC shops is stupid, but people try it anyway. On things that cannot be easily found or purchased from an NPC its up to a player to make analysis on not how much YOU think the item is worth but how much the BUYER will pay for said item.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BloodDragoon on 2006-11-19 14:53 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Nov 19, 2006, 05:45 PM
there is one more factor to add to this that i can't remember. I thought of it for like a brief second and went to type it, but forgot what it was... Not very imprtant if i can't remember it though ^.^ I'll figure out prolly when i go home and can't get access to a PC for another 2 days... booo

edit - i just thought of something... but not the above statement.

All items, even drop only ones do have a NPC SELL price which is determined directly by a division of it's price it would sell for. which means once you know what the sell back ratio is you can determine the true value of the item based on game prices... There is a list of what the ratio is on PSUpedia or the JP wiki...i forget which though

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DurakkenX on 2006-11-19 14:51 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Nov 19, 2006, 06:08 PM
DURA DON'T YOU KNOW THAT PRICE FIXING IS COMMUNISM, WHUT?

Gavin_King
Nov 19, 2006, 06:27 PM
- You forgot to take into account the cost of a board, but I suppose you could file that under the cost of mateirals.

- Also, the star rarity is up to debate. Who's to say that it should be 10% and not 5% per star...

- Same thing for elemental weapons... who's to say 20% elemental is 40%.... Could be 50%... or something else...

- Besides the last two things, it's a very good formula... Honestly I would take those two things out of the equation and just declare it the "Base Cost Formula"... Then say that how much more than the base cost price you should charge (i.e. your profit) should be based on the star rating (rarity) and the elemental percentage.... How much more you charge is up to the market to declare.

DurakkenX
Nov 19, 2006, 07:57 PM
well the reason i do have those is much for the fact that they are definable...Something undefinable though is something like easthetics and likeing of a certain class of weapon/armor. If I like a weapon type aand you are the only one with that type of weapon at the lvl i need then i will buy off you for an exorbant rate is the way a lot of people work.

The % per star and per element is debatable and since i haven't used real numbers in the formula it may or may not turn out to be more or less, but it is very well shown in game that star lvl does make a difference in the minds of people and since it is a relative absolute that as stars get higher the weapon is better it is worthwhile to include in the formula.

grind lvl is the other thing that should be taken into account (just thought of it) It was stated multiple times by other players that you can ake a 1 star weapon if ground up as good as if not better than higher ranked weapons. Grind lvl would also need an exponentiality as it's value because the higher the grind the harder to get. It would have it's own formula completely, but thats for high lvl grinds... for the most part i would consider it a material cost rather than anything else.

anyways
[(M + R) + (M*F/S)] * [(E*2)+1] = B
is the way it is because element is very important in later instances. if you play with the proper elements to the area and have capped PAs the dmg difference is very big. The thing that people should like about having element thrown into the mix is that only hunter weapons need to take into account and it begins to average out the PP costs a slight bit in some ways.

but it's up to debate what those numbers should actually be. heck you could even put on your store ad what numbers you use in the formula and be competitve that way too. It doesn't matter to me much as long as it's a fair deal and you stick to the formula. Eventually it would catch on ^.^

Ravennittes
Nov 19, 2006, 08:03 PM
Personally, I go by what I think is right for a price (usually exceptionally cheap). For instance, 2 star weapons I sell for 200, dimates for 25, and all those 7 star metals for 300 each. I don't know where that fits into your scalings of "base price", but I do know I make a killing this way http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

BloodDragoon
Nov 19, 2006, 08:18 PM
Actually the resale value is dependant on item type classification
Weapons
Armor
Consumables
Clothing
Synthesis Materials

Remedy
Nov 19, 2006, 08:37 PM
I really like this formula. The only thing I can see wrong is that it has no place to add grind value. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

However, this means my 44% Ice Gi-senba is worth 160k. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Cause_I_Own_U
Nov 19, 2006, 10:40 PM
or i could just sell it for more than that in that equation to some rich farmer in a hurry

KirinDave
Nov 19, 2006, 10:43 PM
On 2006-11-19 15:08, -Shimarisu- wrote:
DURA DON'T YOU KNOW THAT PRICE FIXING IS COMMUNISM, WHUT?

Isn't logic like sunlight to your kind, -Shimarisu-? Oh wait, I bet you didn't read more than the beginning and end paragraph.

Nice post DurakkenX.

DurakkenX
Nov 21, 2006, 02:52 PM
>.> Kirin no need to be rude. Shimarisu just likes to aggrovate people is all. She should at least learn what communism is before starts using the word as an insult as most people do. ^.^

Grind value is hard to say simply because i have heard that 1* rares can be as good if not better than some 7* rares when ground up. This means that the price of a grinded item is less than the worth as a person would be a ble to use it sooner... The 1* value would have to be figured on an exponential to place it in the same value range as the 7*. I'm in no position to figure out what the value of each grind is as luck is a huge variable in it, both real and in game... Also i don't know the actual numbers of how it's grinded, though they are somewhere. My suggestion is do a statistical comparison between a grinded and non-grinded weapon of 2 dif star lvls and if they are roughly equivelant use the star lvl for that one rather than the actual.

Also this equation...the Rarity % should be raised or lowered based on the factual numbers to make a non-elemental item be worth between 50-75% of NPC price. If this does not fall within that range the Rarity % should be lower. This should only take one time to figure out and all other times you really don't need to worry as the equation should be the same for each variation after that ^.^

Also...as someone said there are probably flaws in this somewhere...the more info given the better this can made so that you no longer have to worry about being ripped off ^.^

Maskim
Nov 21, 2006, 03:18 PM
Yes, there are probably some flaws in there somewhere.

However, overall, nice work. Your time and effort are appreciated.

daylight129
Nov 21, 2006, 03:26 PM
You know if you really have to analyze it like that, and make it that complicated, then the issue of thinking the economy is wacked up is no one else's problem but yours.

DurakkenX
Nov 21, 2006, 04:00 PM
daylight it doesn't take any analysis to know the economy via the people is stupid v.v.

You are saying because it takes common sense to figure out it's the person with common sense that is wrong... it's great to know that as we've come a long way in this world that there are still people like you.

Natrokos
Nov 21, 2006, 06:13 PM
75% of my items have this formula

2x appraisal averaged with 1/2 the npc price....
Doesn't work for all items (rares and such) but that's what I charge for most....Others I just put what I feel is fair.

Pentence
Nov 27, 2006, 04:03 AM
uhm i just tested this on a compadri the 3* bow
i got a total of 2170

said bow is sold for only 2000 in NPC shops

i have done it twice now just to make sure and its the same