PDA

View Full Version : LUCK ?!?!

RussInDaHill
Nov 20, 2006, 04:28 AM
Ok prolly a n00b q....

are the stars by your name the only thing that determine luck? Would a lvl 1 cast have the same luck as a lvl 50 cast?

Im asking because a buddy of mine says that when he grinds his weps he checks to see who the luckiest race is, and he creates a charecter of that race and grinds his weps with his newly made charecter to increase his chances of a successful grind....is this a true theory?

Pentence
Nov 20, 2006, 04:31 AM
well considering i have done all my grinds on NO luck days and been succesfull i would say not likely,but it would take far more trials to truly test that theory and say one way or the other.Right now i would classify it under SUPERSTITION.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pentence on 2006-11-20 01:32 ]</font>

Tycho
Nov 20, 2006, 04:46 AM
He could have looked up the luck on just about any PSU-related site.

Zato-2TWO
Nov 20, 2006, 04:49 AM
To answer your question, yes: luck is retroactive for all race/gender combinations. A lvl 1 Male Cast and a lvl 50 Male Cast would both be at lvl.3 Luck for the day.

However, for synthesizing, there's a lot more that determine your odds of success than just luck. If your Partner Machine is geared towards synthesizing certain objects, that also plays into how successful you will be in synthing items. So the same two male casts could have the same Luck for the day and try to synth the same Sword, but because the lvl. 50 Cast's PM has points in Striking, the lvl.50 Cast is more likely to succeed than the lvl.1.

RussInDaHill
Nov 20, 2006, 04:52 AM
I understand synthing...I am curious to how it would effect grinding....anyone know??

Zato-2TWO
Nov 20, 2006, 04:56 AM
It does affect grinding to some degree, yes. For the most part it only really matters at high level grinding, since low level grinding (with good grinders) usually sits in the "Very high" zone.

RussInDaHill
Nov 20, 2006, 04:58 AM
anyone have any type of grinding technique that increases my chances of success?

-Ryuki-
Nov 20, 2006, 05:04 AM
Uhm.. There's a grinding technique?

Maskim
Nov 20, 2006, 05:14 AM
Yes. I tend to cross my fingers and look away from the TV. I'm superstitious, so if I watch while it grinds, it's gonna fail. Seems to work, for me anyways, as I'm fully equipped in +5 or higher weapons...but it's not very scientific.

RussInDaHill
Nov 20, 2006, 05:14 AM
like using certiain range grinders in a specific order

Maskim
Nov 20, 2006, 05:17 AM
On 2006-11-20 02:14, RussInDaHill wrote:
like using certiain range grinders in a specific order

Oh, yeah.. use higher + grinders the higher you go. I waste my +1-3's on grinds 1-3 usually, then move up to the 4-7's to go higher. When I'm feeling especially good I'll go above 5 or 6..but only with a 9 or 10+ grinder.

Ilmoran
Nov 20, 2006, 09:53 AM
Luck also affects grinding in that you can get more "No chance of failure" grinds on a lucky day. For instance, with no luck, you will always have a chance to break a B grade weapon, even going from 0 -> 1, while level 3 luck (yellow glow) can get you from 0 -> 2 on a B weapon without chance of failure, if you use high enough grinders (any for 0 -> 1; +9/10 for 1 -> 2). Same thing happens with C grade weapons, except that for any luck, 0 -> 1 is auto success, but with level 3 luck you can go 0 -> 3 without failure.
As for my grinding technique, I flip a coin. My quarter has not led me to break a synth or a grind in 20+ attempts. And at least 4 of those synths were ~50% http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif